Prog Thread

I haven't listened to this album in a while, so I'm gonna do that, cuz I remember the album being pretty epik. More albums like Le Orme's Uomo Di Pezza, besides Le Orme's other albums?

Attached: uomodipezza.jpg (500x491, 79.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=51kzMUiAZxE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQJciLwOpg
youtube.com/watch?v=uHxVZLpHmm4
youtube.com/watch?v=2GvVwVnlpB8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nobody wants to talk about Prog?

try starting a prog thread on Yea Forums, unironically
if you're lucky and jannies aren't fannies, you will get a got thread 100% of the time
but sure, I'll talk to you about prog. Recently been listening a lot to The Tea Club, I'm kind of confused why they aren't more popular.
youtube.com/watch?v=51kzMUiAZxE

Cool man, but I just started a Prog thread on /r9k/, so I guess I'll have to check on both of these threads at the same time. That Tea Club stuff seems pretty cool. It sounds surprisingly good, like if ELP wanted to be more chill and more like Yes.

i'm gonna get into Mars Volta and listen all their albums in the next few days. What am I in for?
>t. Moody Blues/King Crimson fan

Attached: tremulant.png (482x484, 274.17K)

Bump. Have you listened to much other Italian prog, user? Pfm, Banco, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Alphataurus. Btw, what ever happened to those /prog/ general threads? Always found great rec’s in those things.

I listened to the album Maxophone, but I mostly only care for two songs on that album, C'è Un Paese Al Mondo and Al Mancato Compleanno Di Una Farfalla. I also tried getting into Area but I could never get into them because none of their songs on Arbeit Macht Frei were anywhere near as catchy and cool sounding as the intro song. I'll try listening to Crac! sometime.

Maybe.

Attached: (1).jpg (953x940, 540.19K)

LE ORME!

not him but I haven't explored much outside of LE ORME! and this album by Garybaldi:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQJciLwOpg

Mars Volta gets old pretty fast imo. They can be very repetitive, and their best album (Francis the Mute) also has their worst moments for me. I feel as if 25% of that album is annoying experimental electronic noises that go nowhere, and I don't think I'm the first person to have this complaint. The first few listens of every album is pretty solid though.

psychadelic post-hardcore

I'm surprised i dont see niemen more often, especially in threads like these. he's so fucking talented it's unreal. A perfect blend of avant-jazz, sonorism and soul. His vocal range is unmatched.
On top of that, he was an absolute giga-chad.
youtube.com/watch?v=uHxVZLpHmm4

Attached: show-photo.jpg (379x600, 56.91K)

Can someone REDpill me? I like the album but I've never really understood why it was elevated so highly above the rest of KC's output if I'm being honest. My preferred secondary after the debut tends to be Starless and Bible Black

Attached: Red.jpg (300x300, 22.93K)

It's not as good as Starless and Bible Black, it's ok but not too memorable besides maybe Starless. It shouldn't be so elevated above the other albums.

I like you user :)

I like you too. BTW got any albums similar to Starless and Bible Black?

Attached: wetton.jpg (236x314, 9.76K)

Aquaman kind of gives me similiar vibes along with Led Zeppelin IV somewhat ironically

Attached: Aqualung.jpg (1024x1024, 1.16M)

Has anyone listened to the band named after this? I think they’re called Starless & Bible Black. Don’t think they’re on streaming.

I actually think Red is a bit overrated. Personally it's my 2nd least fav KC album, but it's still a 9/10 to me, and I'll explain to you why I like it
Red is a concept album that explores 2 main themes commonly explored in Prog rock:
1. somber/tragic moods that sound depressive, and
2. loud/heavy moods that sound angry.
Providence tends to lean towards Theme A while One More Red Nightmare tends to lean towards Theme B. The other tracks have more of a balance of both themes in them.
These two themes put together can be summed up by one collective theme: Angst. Red is the Angstiest prog album I've ever heard. And yet... it's actually handled very well. Red is able to encapsulate the atmosphere of angst and present it to the listener so skillfully, I haven't seen it done so well anywhere else.
Despite this, I don't like listening to Red as much as Islands, or Larks', or Beat, or pretty much every KC album besides THRAK. But I highly admire Red for it's ability to take an atmosphere and push it to it's limit.
So while it's one of KC's worst albums in my book, it's one of their best Concept Albums, only beaten out by ITWOP for me, and maybe tied with Islands and ITCOTCK in terms of how they build and utilize their Atmosphere.
also Starless is not the best song of the Prog Rock genre, i don't care what the redanons say. The last 2 minutes is really badass but the rest of the song just doesn't measure up, I'd rather just listen to One More Red Nightmare if I want to hear a song from Red.

Thank you for blessing me with your wisdom sage, I am honored to be in thy presence

oh I forgot to mention Anxiety, that's one of the big elements of Red too (mostly in Providence, but certainly present in the mid-section of Starless)

OP here, listening to this sick shit. Pretty cool, sounds epic. I think I'm supposed to listen to Darwin! and the debut after, along with a couple other albums I forgot, then I avoid everything else they made like the plague.

Attached: iosononatolibero.jpg (640x640, 141.29K)

>Aquaman
lol, thanks for that user. Good album btw.

Listen to Nektar.

Attached: 2022-04-13-04-55-17.jpg (1891x1897, 3.15M)

screamo with experimental noises and time signatures
You need to check out Museo's Zarathustra if you haven't already. That's arguably the best RPI there ever was.
I thought it was overrated at first, but it grew on me over time. It's the most subtle KC album. Definitely deserves its praise from the broader public, even if it obviously only gets it because of Starless.
I'm guessing you hadn't gotten to the second side yet, because it drops off hard. Italian bands tend to suffer from that even more blatantly than the English ones, in my opinion. But Darwin! is an exception, and by far Banco's best album. Get to it as soon as you can.

is there any good 80s prog? Other than Marillion and Pallas, I don't know any neo-prog bands, but it doesn't have to be neo-prog

youtube.com/watch?v=2GvVwVnlpB8

Cheers for the rec user. I’ll blast this today. That cover is nuts.

I'm a big fan of Quella Vecchia Locanda's albums. Very much on the 'lush' side of prog so your mileage may vary.

What else from Wakeman’s solo discog is worth checking out. I adore picrel.

Attached: 970109A2-A503-45F8-BA06-4FAF0FC8D9E6.jpg (593x600, 141.9K)

bumpo

Criminal record is pretty solid

Based. Recycled is my fav album of all time.

i also like italian prog but spanish prog scene is criminally underrated compared to that of italian. besides the bigger names like triana and medina azahara there are great bands such as Máquina!, Azahar (picrel is one of my all time fave albums), Mezquita etc.
Other than those bands, some of the famous bands in Spain are not that known abroad like Extremoduro, their La ley innata is also a decent prog album, would rec.

Attached: azahar - azahar.jpg (301x298, 95.66K)

Shockingly loud production for music that needs dynamic range. I like their first two albums a lot, but the compression on them is unreal and I get exhaustion from the noise quickly.

Digging this a lot this week

Attached: 6F1FDC83-45B6-402F-BC3D-E509C01DCC84.png (225x225, 74.87K)

Most people agree this is their best. I really liked bedlam also

Attached: 41+U0PkmXWL._SY580_.jpg (480x500, 26.94K)

I bought this a year ago in a whim and have seen it get memes here. Do people actually like it I still don't think I've listened to it

Attached: Emerson,_Lake_&_Palmer_-_Tarkus_(1971)_front_cover.jpg (300x300, 146.86K)

Attached: NoEarthlyConnection.jpg (316x316, 17.75K)

It's a solid 4/5 album. Many people say the title piece is their best work.

The first side, the title track, is fucking amazing. The other side has hits or misses. Jeremy Bender and Are You Ready, Eddy? Are great.

Pic related is my favourite prog album, tied with Close To The Edge.

Attached: The_Lamb_Lies_Down_on_Broadway.jpg (300x300, 39.67K)

I love this one too.

Attached: yes relayer.jpg (640x640, 170.86K)

It's fantastic! It is a little noticeable that there's no Rick Wakeman though :(

drama is better
i like moraz's work on relayer, i just wish that he remained that good when he joined Moody Blues

Never really liked Drama. I like Tales though.

drama > tales > CTTE = Relayer > Tormato
don't really care for their other albums besides those 5

The Light Dies Down through to the end is probably my favorite sequence in all of music

Based Steve Hackett enjoyer
BASED, album makes me emotional
For me it is Relayer = CTTE >drama >tales >tormato
But Yes is possibly my favorite band so I'm not too upset when people have different tastes in their albums, though Drama is underrated to me, it really isn't bad at all. I can't get into Tales though, but certain parts of it are beautiful.

Attached: tumblr_pnk53rZ4qE1tp6d1qo1_1280.jpg (1280x813, 558.56K)

anthony phillips has such a good sound

Attached: geese.jpg (300x300, 141.83K)

Fucking BASED prog thread OP. Prog is so good and I love that it Leans into maximalism and beauty in music—most other modern music that’s underground tends to focus too much on taking apart Music and art which is cool in its own way(I’m thinking post punk). Having any kind of reverence or love for anything that isn’t HAHA MUH DICK FUCK THE SYSTEM is very cool and based. Anyways my favorite prog band is probably camel or King Crinson. How far into prog metal do you go OP? I was just listening to the gods in Krallice.

Based and beautiful post

Cardiacs is pretty good if you like gentle giant

Rush duh
Cardiacs
And Rush and Fates Warning if you include metal

I love progressive rock and I've tried to get into progressive metal but the only prog metal band I enjoy is Voivod.
Even the prog metal bands that supposedly took influence from Voivod like Vektor or Obliveon do nothing for me.

Discipline by King Crimson

I'm not into prog metal because it all seems too focused on the guitar and whatnot. Only prog metal band I've heard that manages to balance the instruments out is Tool, and I'm not even a big tool fan.

Fair enough, would either of you consider a band like Hella or !!! Prog? I know those groups were never strictly prog but at the same time I always felt like they were spiritual successors to prog in the 2000’s with a focus on exploration and instrumental songwriting. I think Hold your Horse Is is probably one of the best musical projects of all time.

I'm always partial to that cymbal on One More Red Nightmare, and I think the album in general has a bigger emphasis on the drumming, especially since it's heavier than their other work.
Starless itself just encapsulates that constant building of layers to a crescendo that I always associate with prog. It's like waiting out a storm in a cabin, hearing that sax wailing as it dies off.

Try Still Life by Opeth maybe

Prog metal has a problem of being insular and newer bands just being influenced by other prog metal.

Voivod's one of the very first prog metal groups so they pulled from a lot wider for inspiration.
IIRC Piggy's distinctive guitar playing comes from him training by playing zeuhl and krautrock songs backwards, and Away was really into post-punk and art-rock when Voivod shifted from thrash metal to prog metal.