Should I start reading Spider-Man again?

I was an avid reader of Amazing spider-man for pretty much 10 years straight spanning the late 90's through around 2008-2009. I literally never missed an issue, that is until the shittiest arch of all time (One more day) happened and destroyed 40 plus years of Spider-man's continuity and fucked over the entire series for years to come. I haven't read the series for over a decade now in protest of that egregious story-line, but I've been hoping to get back into the new rebooted Amazing Spider-man series. It seems like they continually rebooted him so he's a young care free high schooler over and over again. I get trying to relate to the youth, but I truly believe the Peter Parker in his 30's with a wife and job as a professor was really prime spider-man in my opinion. Thoughts? Is the new rebooted Amazing Spider-man series actually worth a shit?

Attached: OMD.jpg (422x640, 79K)

what's wrong with One More Day? I haven't read it

You shouldn't be reading comics as an adult.

read superior spider-man instead

really don't, Every now and then I'll pickup one or two issues of something just to see whats going on. I used to read a lot more mature stuff too, sadly not as much anymore. Part of me just wants to have the nostalgia of reading Amazing spiderman again and getting the same joy I remembered having before OMD fucked everything.

Current Spider-Man is unreadable if you have any love for the era of Spider-Man you described. He hasn't been the same character since OMD. He's a Disney version of himself. Sometimes you will see sparks of the past, some hint of life. But those moments are few and far between, and eventually the character will revert to the soulless version that dominates every other part of Mavel media.

Not sure if shitposting.

Dont listen to this douchebag.

Spencer’s ASM pretty begins the run by beginning to undo OMD, Peter hasn’t been retconned back to being a teenager, it was brought up that most of his work that Otto did as him to get his doctorate and so forth during Superior Spider-Man was found to be plagiarized from Dr Ock’s research in a fair bit of irony. Peter is sharing an apartment with Robertson (who is dating The Beetle also the daughter of Gang boss Tombstone) and Boomerang who has appeared to made a face turn.
Honestly ASM is pretty fucking great right now

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1540, 1.58M)

>Should I start reading Spider-Man again?
Thank you sir, that's the answer I feared but expected. Trust me I take your word for it. I loved the John Romita jr, run back in the day. I even loved Civil War all the way through Back in black. Then it fell off the cliff...seriously devastating to someone reading continuously since childhood.

Attached: [email protected] (679x1024, 149K)

I've read a few issues of Spencer's run and liked what I saw, I'd recommend giving that a try. But also this: Basically, editorial didn't like that Peter and MJ were married, so in OMD Pete makes a deal with the devil to save a dying Aunt May, but in exchange his marriage to MJ is undone and she doesn't know he's Spider-man anymore.
this guy is a fuckin loser

I guess I always felt AMS should be the darker more mature spidey (which it was for a long while) and all the other spin-off titles could have him in highschool with less responsibilities. Now they all seem to be below G rating subject matter.

Issue 1 got Peter and MJ back together, I just wish Ottley had drawn them a little differently than some of his previous characters, but I can forgive old habits

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1865, 2.3M)

Something got in the way all right, Joe Queseda that fat bastard. Peters marriage to MJ was a pivotal part of AMS for decades.... all thrown away for aunt May who could have been revived or left dead for all the fans cared.

May also has what seems to be terminal cancer at the moment

Fucks sake...
I wish they had the balls to keep her dead at least for a few years...back then

Every time someone suggests that, they always say THERE'S SOMETHING MISSING WITHOUT AUNT MAY BEING THERE....but they're never able to tell you what it is.

Yeah that art is pretty terrible
How does AMS not have a decent artist?

Attached: AmazingSpiderManV2I43.jpg (205x316, 23K)

Yeah virtually everything from the early to mid 2000's shit on any modern amazing spider-man story and art...

Attached: 30238.jpg (675x1000, 145K)

You know, I think this time she might die for a few years at least
The ASM comics aren not synergizing with the Spider-robin of the MCU, they are making it more like the PS4 Spidey
JJJ is a radio host, MJ and Peter back together
It is really a possibility that Aunt May is gonna die

Spider-man sells the soul of his unborn child to Satan

My hope is that Spencer will have a bit where Spider-Man goes and gets involved in something cosmic, maybe a trip to hell to punch a certain demon. And he suffers a warp which can be used as a convenient excuse to give him his married life and maybe his daughter back.
Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Dad, who now has a mortgage and a kid and a new host of money-problems and commitments to bedevil his life. Just like he was when he was classic poor, single Parker.

Superior Spider-Man sucks

If it's Slott
Skip the lot

nope
watch spectacular spider-man, you will get the best spider-man stories retold with amazing action scenes and with all the stupid shit cut out

>Is the new rebooted Amazing Spider-man series actually worth a shit?
nope it is super boring, it is only slightly better then slotts run which isn't saying much

>mj doesn't get drawn hot again thanks to "muh unrealistic beauty standards"
what's the point of bringing her back then if she doesn't even look like her old supermodel self anymore?

So you skipped all the great Spider-Man decades and started right where it went to shit

What the fuck are you talking about you dumbfuck? She's always drawn as being prettier and hotter than everyone else.

she has been drawn as plain looking since the start of this series and she always dresses super conservative these days

I'm sure we can find some nice hooker clothes for a woman in her late 20s early 30s. Otherwise she's still the same hot redhead as always.

Crinch. You sound more desperate then an incel
user attractive fictional women are SEXIST, can have you getting any male gaze. Now look at Peter for no reason running around half naked for the 5th time this month.

I didn't read your post because it is a giant paragraph and I am a lazy short-attention span zoomer, but I think you should.
At least, give Nick Spencer's run a go.
He is the current writer, and about 25 issues deep so far. I get the feeling he has a genuine love for Spider-Man, and he wants to share that with his readers. He also works in some meta moments that are very entertaining.

Oh, and he FINALLY reunited MJ and Peter for the first time after OMD.

That is stupid. So no

>I truly believe the Peter Parker in his 30's with a wife and job as a professor was really prime spider-man in my opinion
How old are you for saying something only an oldfag would want?

I agree. It's great

Attached: look at him.jpg (600x448, 38K)

What do you want then? Miles? That’s pretty terrible in its own right

If say check out the current spencer run, if you like that pick up friendly neighborhood because that’s been solid. I don’t know if they’ll ever be able to recapture the old flame of the character. While amazing has been doing a decent job of keeping miles out the little fucker still is around and isn’t going anywhere.

I enjoyed Peter as a single 20's guy, because that's the version that has more of a development and an intersting story, and I'm glad they deaged him. Miles can do his own high school stuff

Only the people that demanded a 30's down on his luck Peter Parker are sad oldfags that have terrible lives and want to project themself to avoid how misrable they are and want to go back and demand the so-called good old days

There are other versions of Spider-Man. Rwd them and not hold Peter back already

Die like a fossil already

>>There are other versions of Spider-Man.
no, there are not.

I have no doubt rage against OMD would have been much lower if Spider-Girl was kept running.

Dumbass single 20's peter is the down on his luck life is shit one.

Read fucking comics. Married Peter didn't have a perfect life but he was doing fairly well for himself all things considered. Not as well as you'd expect of the guy who could body Magneto with a Toaster at age 16, but still not half bad. Half the point of OMD was that they decided that nobody could relate to a Peter who wasn't a broke miserable late teen/early twnetysomething.

Spencer is as shit as slott, wake me up in 5 years

This guy isn’t calling for a down on his luck peter, he wants actual character progression. The last ten years have been single Pete in his 20s and it’s been boring as shit. There’s a reason that the only two significant spider events are stories where he gets out right replaced. Because they’ve tapped out on what they can do in this age range. Either de age him back to high school or college or let the fucker grow up. It worked great for Superman the few years he did it

>no, there are not.
Renew Your Vows, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, etc. Literally every versions out there with the same ship in exactly the same premise and the same outcome over-and-over again

>Half the point of OMD was that they decided that nobody could relate to a Peter who wasn't a broke miserable late teen/early twnetysomething.
And they are right, because nobody relates to someone like that

You people won't relate to single Peter, but other people have. You're just a fraction of those that prefer Peter with MJ and want stories that amount to nothing, while there are others that prefer Peter remain single so he can do actual Spider-Man. Married Peter takes too much space and he's just not interesting if he's back together with an old flame that's not interesting other than being attractive and old history and shit

It’s why I got annoyed with bendis, fucker had an entire universe to play with and still came to the same conclusion. I like pairing 616 Pete with MJ because of how good the books were in the 80s but I get that other universes should get to play with it more. It’s one of the reasons that marvel adventures was so good, it didn’t feel the need to give you more of the same

Superior Spider-Man is for people that don't actually like Spider-Man.

Most of modern spider spin offs are for that though. But the current superior run has been good to peter

Hey cuck, anyone who’s balls have dropped knows Amazon spider man was in his modern prime durring 2001-2007, when he was mature with responsibilities and venerabilities. Only an infantile faggot want to rehash the exact same old leaven and lizard storylines for eternity with no real character progression. Leave young peter to the side titles.

*Kraven

Yes the current one is. Slott's isn't.

>she has been drawn as plain looking since the start of this series
I'm not sure if you mean the Spider-man series as a whole or a particular series in Spider-man.
But, as a whole, MJ was always beautiful. Hollywood beautiful. 1960's Hollywood beautiful, not modern goblin hollywood

Attached: MJ 034.jpg (636x626, 263K)

even if you don't like nick spener's run, tom taylor is doing good on friendly neighborhood

Read Symbiote Spider-Man and Life Story.

>those colors
>that line work
This shit looks like a romance comic for girls, drawn by a girl. I am utterly disgusted. Is that their new house style? Bloomy washed out tumblr tier """""artwork""""".

No. Don't waste your money/time.

>aunt May who could have been revived
NO, that old bag needs to dead and stay died. Peter shouldn't have to spread his worry between too many people. Aunt may was a good plot device for when he was single but once he got married and about to have kids, auntie had to go. It would've helped progression too but that's what nuMarvel doesn't want. Change bad, always cling to the established status quo.

A good writer could've made her death meaningful and interesting too.

Read Absolute Carnage.

Attached: god tier spidey art..jpg (1988x3056, 1.57M)

>Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Dad, who now has a mortgage and a kid and a new host of money-problems and commitments to bedevil his life. Just like he was when he was classic poor, single Parker.
This is what everybody with a good understanding and love for the character would want.

True that. OP should read ASM from the start. WOS and SSM are very worth a read too, Sal Buscema is so underrated as a Spider penciller, once you get over his weird way of drawing everybody with a Klingon forehead, his art is really superb and consistently good.

I'll vouch for Life Story, that was fantastic.

that is some terrible spider-man dialouge. I miss Peter actually being serious and cool, not this big bang theory wanna be pop culture nerd

>down on his luck Peter Parker
That's literally the essence of the character. A guy that can't catch a break and stumbles from one bad situation to the next with only his heart and humor to keep him going.

>I miss Peter actually being serious and cool

Attached: 1567046272386.jpg (398x393, 138K)

>I miss peter being serious and cool
And those moments only work because they are in contrast to his jokey side. If he’s serious and cool all the time he’s not Spider-man anymore. Besides, how serious to you want him to be when he’s talking to a kid? I fucking swear none of you know what you want, you just want to complain

You're one of those people who should read Superior because you don't actually like Spider-man.

I wonder why people bother. It’s obvious OP is here just to have his biases confirmed and not to actually get a serious answer

kek

Bad story that makes no sense and effectively kills ASM for good after the near-death Byrne caused.

Peter isn't allowed to be a person anymore, the franchise is permanently fucked.

>Jealous girls exaggerate
MJ was always pretty, yeah, but not to an extreme degree. She has a good face and figure for modeling, which isn't the same as what comics artists and fans typically think of as pretty, hence high cheek bones and thin eyes.

>Sal Buscema is so underrated as a Spider penciller
Fuck yeah he is. God I love how he draws action.

>tfw Sal hit his apex as a penciller during the Clone Saga of all things.

Attached: lf.jpg (392x600, 104K)

Says the sad oldfag who is also asking for the same rehash also by wanting an older more boring Spider-Man story

That just makes him sadder

>I fucking swear none of you know what you want, you just want to complain
That is exactly what's wrong here

If the wild child trope wasn’t so over done it’d be cool if they introduced a young mayday into his life. Kaiser finally finds her after 6 years of searching and Pete has to try to raise her right after Years of believing she died in child birth

That's a huge asspull but on the upside it would skip the infant stage.

It is but it used to be canon that Osborn’s kidnapped her and Maine went off to look. The plot was left unresolved (then decanonized by OMIT) but it would be interesting to see if they could do it

And that is why 616 Peter shouldn't be together again with MJ, because there have been too many PeterXMJ pairing that's been done over and over again. Because of that it takes away the whole point of their history together, and it just won't grab the attention of readers who are getting into it, and it won't help the story because there are elements the 616 could have used, but can't because it's already done in other version

Peter and MJ are together now, but I feel it ain't going to last down the line, because I feel something else is going to happen that will either make or break this pairing for good

You are correct that Bendis really mess things up. The Ultimate Universe had a number of potentials to be made. And he could have used Gwen Stacy, Kitty Prde, and even Jessica Drew. Instead he went for the same outcome with MJ. I mean what's even the point now? Marvel Adventures suceeded in what it did, and it didn't need to follow, but when other versions did then why bother asking for Peter to get back together with MJ?

If nothing new happens then there's no point to even let it happen

>This is what everybody with a good understanding and love for the character would want.
Nobody knows what hey want

They did. In the MC2 Universe

Marvel adventures didn’t succeed though because the line got canceled. I like the pairing because of its history and how it made both characters grow, I won’t lie it they’ve been in a rut with it but it’s only because they’ve been telling the same story with it for twenty years, she goes away she comes back she goes away she comes back they sell their love to the devil she comes back. If e just got an uninterrupted run for a year or two where they were just together with a kid it would be an actual step forward for the characters. The entire point of ultimate was to let writers(but I suppose only bendis) do what they want with none of the history to deal with and he did some good stuff until he just fell into the rut for no reason seemingly. I want maydays book back if you want to break them up for good though, the pairing works but that’s the only compromise I’ll come to with it

I want how spider-man used to be written all the way through the 80s, 90s and early 2000s before they turned him into an idiot who makes crinchy and lame jokes

with start of the series I mean the current run.
Of course in the past she always used to be super attractive and hot. That is what I am complaining about. they desexulized her

You don't have a single clue what you're actually talking about if you think making cringe jokes is somehow not in those spidey stories, or that peter acting like a doofus is new as well. Stop fucking self-inserting

The last 10 years were great. I've enjoyed his stories. Made Peter more of a capable leader, and he has lead he Avengers, which is a first, and he's finally a capable scientist, like he should have been long ago

t.Slott

Stop sucking bendis' dick and get off Yea Forums you hack

Dude. Fuck you. Spider-Man back then was really lame and was always an idiot. Stop kidding yourself

Stop posting immediately. You have no clue. Spidey always was a cheeky wisecrack who would torture his opponents with lame jokes during battle. He's the only character who used to quip before quipping was a thing. It was cool because they didn't try to make it cool. He made lame jokes that would piss everybody off whom he fought or partnered with. That was his thing, paired with his internal dialogue that revealed his joking was a coping mechanism to get him through the horrors he had to endure and the annoyance towards dumb brutes like Rhino.

Spidey making "cringe" jokes is essential to every iteration of the character.

Heheheheh. Wow, this is why it's fun to show how oldfags are being oldfags. Make Spider-Man more dumb so readers won't be offended that they themselves are dumb

This is why you fail in your life

I e been really liking the direction Spencer has taken ASM in this past year. I can’t wait until Tombstone finds out that his little girl is dating one of the men that ran his name through the mud via the press. Also that last issue, with Beetle using his crime connections with her father to get people to rebuild the FEAST center her gang destroyed was great.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1893, 2.27M)

KYS

you don't read comic
he was super smart and competent in during the hollywood arc for example
modern peter would make some lame joke instead and mj woud tell him to just shut up and hug her

Ah yes, definitely not a lame, cringy idiot here.

Attached: RCO012_1468226569.jpg (2048x3140, 2.03M)

>Spidey always was a cheeky wisecrack
you don't know shit. modern spidey doesn't make wisecracks he makes lame jokes. you hare supposed to laugh at what a loser he is not laugh with him.
back in the past other heroes used to respect him nowadays everybody considered him a joke and idiot.
modern spidey got flanderized hard

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1892, 2.74M)

Seriously, kys

Attached: RCO020_1557910100.jpg (1040x1600, 428K)

I thought you meant to say that he didn't make jokes in 80s and 90s. Try to be less ESL.

>I get mad at imaginary scenarios in my head

Attached: RCO017_1560354523.jpg (1040x1600, 410K)

that is peter as spider-man he was confident and took things serious, only using jokes to anger his opponents so that they might make a mistake.
old Spider-Man fighting Rhino "with brains like this, no wonder Rhinos are going extinct"
new Spider-Man fighting Rhino Now Rhino please don't make me fight you, I don't want to get cancelled by petas twitter mob"

>peter crying like a bitch
yep, WOMEN STRONG, men weak and emotional.
just the average modern sjw shit to push feminism

Nigga, pete is crying in heretoo. Seriously get a grip

That is form a daredevil comic you idiot. How about you post a recent comic which is actually supposed to be about him?

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1495, 1.22M)

Peter could have been married and have a kid years ago. They had an opportunity to do just that, and that Ben Reilly can take over until then. But no. Nobody wants it because i was boring, and they don't want to give up Peter. So it was undone and never brought back again. If anything, Spider-Man fans played themselves with this

If they're going to actually end the PeterXMJ ship for good then they should bing back the MC2 Spider-Girl book and make a new ongoing series out of it, with MC2 Peter now back from the dead. Honestly they can just do it. Just end the 616 MJ ship and just go with the MC2 version instead

>shifting goalposts

Attached: RCO029_1562750857.jpg (1041x1600, 659K)

my point was that mj was crying, just goes to show how much comics go out of their way to emasculate men these days.

But...why would MJ be crying in context? Peter was worried about her because of the blood, but she was sure peter could take care of himself. In fact, its the opposite. It's showing that women need to be protected while men are capable of standing up on their own

you really don't read comic. only people saving anybody these days are women saving incompetent male heroes, anything else would be considered "sexist"
every comic has to be the same "girl power" shit over and over again

>you really don't read comic
Uh-huh, you don't read them either since you read the context entirely wrong. But perhaps I can't blame you, your english level simply isn't good enough

What’s the complaint here? Peter is trying to keep his friend from killing himself because he knows Martha and Billy might not survive without him. Is you complaint that ever third sentence out of Peter isn’t a quip? Also
>a thread discussing how Peter is written in ASM
>posts up a page from a comic other than ASM
>gets called out for it
>m-moving goal p-posts!!

>he was super smart and competent in during the hollywood arc for example
He was smart, but still an idiot and not completely competent. He never put his intelligence to full use, and still he keeps on making mistakes. He's a moron

Man you should really stop getting all of your information from CBR and other related Facebook pages, your ignorance is outstanding, I’ll bet your the kind of fag who forgets to add in the hyphen

Nigga what? You replied to the wrong person didn't you

Holy shit, there are some fucking morons ITT.

There were parts of it I liked but slott didn’t really do anything to fully progress the character, he wasn’t responsible for the creation of his own company even

Casual fag here, whats some good spider to read?

Attached: 87A336A4-7C60-4B32-8AEA-5194D6F331B0.png (405x639, 344K)

The bits I enjoyed from post ASM: OMD
>New Ways to Die
>The Gauntlet
>Grim Hunt
>Big Time
>Spider-Island
>Ends of the Earth
Everything else can be forgotten and I wouldn’t even mind

my eyes

Recent stuff?
>Life Story
>Symbiote Spider-Man
>Ends of the Earth
My hot take is Superior Spider-Man. It's a good concept that gets dragged on way too long, but I still enjoy it.
Webspinners is fucking horrendous to look at, but I love it just for having good character moments with Mysterio.

Attached: movie.png (958x1461, 2.74M)

True, but it showed that even with the power he's got he's still willing to put people first above his own wealth. It shows that his responsibilities is for the people he wants to save, and not his own fortune. Even if he's willing to be hated for it. He doesn't care if people's lives are involved

I've read those and everything else afterwards. Still great

>>Grim Hunt
Opinion discarded

Gage Superior Spider-Man Is kino, Slott's is shit

>Amazing Spider-Man up until OMD
>Avenging Spider-Man
>Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man
>Marvel Knights: Spider-Man
>ASM: New Ways to Die
>ASM: Gauntlet / Shed
>ASM: Grim Hunt
>ASM: Big Time
>ASM: Spider-Island
>ASM: Ends of the Earth
>Spider-Man: Blue
>Spider-Man and the X-Men
>Spider-Man Reign
>Battleworld: Spider-Island
>ASM: Renew Your Vows by Conway and Stegman
>friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
>Spectacular Spider-Man
>Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer
Honorable mentions goes to:
>Superior Foes Of Spider-Man
>Agent Venom
>Scarlet Spider

Attached: image.jpg (1280x1975, 1.62M)

Grim Hunt, American Son, The Gauntlet, and dare I say Spider Island were all excellent arcs not to mention the great spinoffs for other characters like both Scarlett Spider runs and 2099. Superior had some great issues expecially when other people wrote him.

I like how everybody ignores this post even through it perfectly sums up what is wrong with modern spider-man quips

As shit as the ending to Grim Hunt was, seriously, I fucking hate what they did to Mattie, thank fuck for Robbie Thompson fixing that with the Clone Conspiracy tie ins, but I felt it was a good example of those rare few times when Peter stops trying to keep calm and goes fucking ballistic trying to hunt down the people he felt was responsible. It’s no where near as good as Kraven’s Last Hunt, and in the end, Kraven even agrees with that sentiment and ends up fucking up his whole family for ruining his perfect ending. Sorry you didn’t like it user, I thought it was pretty good for being in the middle of the OMD decade

>He was smart, but still an idiot and not completely competent. He never put his intelligence to full use, and still he keeps on making mistakes. He's a moron
he figured out how to beat a bad guy who had the same powers as the hulk and all thanks to his knowledge of nuclear radiation.

Maybe because that post is bullshit

Attached: RCO020.jpg (1041x1600, 531K)

Yeah, and what else? He has't done much of it afterwards

Parker industries is a great first step in letting peter have a family and continue being spider-man it gives him the capital and means to take care of his family while adding layers of complexity to his responsibilities to his company and as spider-man. Problem was slott just ignored all of it and had peter incompetence his way into destroying the company Otto built.

Bump

Based and Otto pilled

Stan Lee probably fapped to this.

>aunt may makin bitches fight for peter
She’s a damn good woman

Is this from the current ASM run?

Op here, Fair enough, I heard the Shed arch was good, but i might at least check some of those archs out.

Attached: 2432970-chris_bachalo_amazing_spider_man_630.jpg (666x960, 97K)

Yea, Jarvis set up a soft of support group for people who have day to day Encounters with super heroes and how they cope. It uses tech to blur the faces so everyone can can air their grievances while remaining anonymous.

Shed was, as some would describe it, super fucking edgy, and after you finish you’ll find out why. Of course everything from that story becomes moot once Slott’s Clone Conspiracy came around, but Spencer gave it a proper follow up in Hunted. I’d post a page from it but I’d rather not spoil it for you.

loved how, for Matt, Peter was basically the Ideal Hero.
His "Captain America" if you want.

Thanks, I'm basically just going to jump around from good arch to good arch just to get back into it. I really hope they retcon the MJ marriage and get some form of continuity going again.

>I really hope they retcon the MJ marriage
Unlikely, but they might end up together as de-facto married, just without a proper marriage so authors don't feel "limited" by it.

>and get some form of continuity going again.
lots of continuity going on with Spencer

But does it seem like cannon? Or will it be undone in few months or years?
I miss when events actually meant something and had weight to the story.

Well currently in Spencer’s run MJ and Peter and back together again, so it’s getting there, but not quite there yet.
They also had a great moment where Mayday was able to meet MJ, Peter and Annie from RYVs during the Spider-Girls tie in to Spidergeddon

Forgot my pic

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1890, 2.92M)

All I can see is this is the most hideous cover I've ever seen. wtf is going on with his eyes...those cold dead eyes.

Attached: spidey4.jpg (289x444, 48K)

Yeah the artwork alone makes me not want to read it.

Romita Jr. and McFarlane were the best AMS artists...unique from beginning to end and always badass covers.

Attached: DV-jPliXkAAzyvm.jpg (650x671, 279K)

Ramos is pretty hard to stomach, but Ottley is a great fit for Spider-Man, it has a sort of Saturday morning whimsical appeal that I’ve enjoyed.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1875, 2.63M)

>McFarlane
How to spot someone with no appreciation for comics as a craft. McFarlane's pages were all stiff, had terrible layouts and no sense for timing and focus. He drew some cool poses, but his fundamentals were terrible. Where you could read and enjoy a Ditko issue of ASM without even reading a single world, Todd's pages were so poorly constructed that you barely had a grasp on what was happening even with dialogue and narration. Shit just happens.

Attached: 0dbad113b3fc9310b48144fa9afc7410.jpg (1976x3000, 1.38M)

>Serious and cool

Just read JM DeMatteis's Spectacular Spider-Man run, that's about the closest you're going to get to "Serious" and "cool."

Brand New Day was actually a pretty great era of Spider-Man, once you get over the butthurt from OMD. Once Slott gets on board you might as well abandonship. If you really want to, stick around until Spider Island. People around here will recommend Superior Spider-Man but it is the dumbest fucking story I have ever read. It requires large swaths of the Marvel cast to be taking stupid pills, some of the dumbest, most forgettable plots, absolutely no character growth and it just GOES ON and ON.

You're retarded, any artist can make bland panel after bland panel in a cookie cutter fashion. Todd was badass, plus his stories always felt way more dark mature thanks to his art which was awesome as a kid.

Attached: Amazing-Spider-Man-315-CGC-96-SS-X3-Stan.jpg (277x400, 53K)

Would you recommend New Ways to Die” (Amazing Spider-Man 568-573)?

Attached: 13725065_f520.jpg (520x924, 118K)

Otto joined Hydra at that time. What other choice is there for him?

I would, it was fucking great, even more so if you happened to be following Thunderbolts at the time.

Imagine watching a series, getting invested in the characters, their struggles, the changes in status quo, etc.

Now imagine a new writer came on board and reset everything as to how it was in Season 1 because he had nostalgia for that. That's basically One More Day.

no.

Yeah to this day I will never continuously buy AMS...i've probably bought 5 issues randomly over the past decade thanks to OMD but I'm willing to make exceptions for good arch writers/artist combos. Which is what I'm searching for now.

Attached: s-l400.jpg (271x400, 46K)

Did you read any of Renew Your Vows? It’s an alternate reality, but very well done, despite the 8 year time jump when Stegman and Conway leave.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1879, 2.45M)

>Say that calling Todd one of the best pencillers ASM ever had betrays a lack of appreciation for craftsmanship and the finer details of composing a page.
>Disagree with "You're stupid he was a FUCKIN BADASS."
Thanks for proving my point.

I don't have anything against Todd as an illustrator, but he's lousy at layouts. I'd go into it more, but tell me if you're that user who gets butthurt when people call Flash Venom before I do. I can rest easy if it's just one perpetually upset guy who can't escape the 90s.

A good writer did make it meaningful. Then it got retconned. Then a good writer made her actually progress, find out about Peter, and became a stronger character than she'd been in years. Retconned because of Quesda's hissy fit and OMD.

Imagine your main character making a deal with the devil and the devil actually getting away with it. That's what gets me. Not a divorce, not some memory wipe, a literal deal with the devil.

Attached: 995271 - Doctor_Octopus Mary_Jane_Watson Nuzlocke Peter_Parker Spider-Man Spider-Man_(series) Superi (635x900, 313K)

Don't talk shit about Todd. And when you do, at least do it right. His poses are out there and not boring but his anatomy isn't his strong suit. Anatomy is the weakest part of his art but it is balanced out by his comfy and time consuming rendering. His strongest point is paneling and costume design though. His shit looks good, even though his anatomy is funny as hell.

So get it right if you wanna rag on the guy. Praising his bone-breaking and anatomy defying poses while shitting on his superb panelling is really the dumbest way to crap on ol' Toddy's work.

Attached: RCO008.jpg (964x1542, 410K)

I think Ramos gets more flak than he deserves. It’s a shame because he’s great at horror stuff it’s just he’s not great at drawing people for the slice of life stuff that is petes bread n butter (or at least cracker n mustard)

He CAN do good, but his most recent work on ASM has all been really bad, back when he was drawing Hobgoblin with a fiery sword and black cat and sliver sable he was doing great. But that was then. I don’t outright hate him, but I’d prefer someone else on ASM

No, he cant get enough flak. He's got that disgusting spic style cartoony look that just completely and intentionally leaves behind any attempt at pretending to create realistic human faces with real emotion in them. His faces look like still images from a cheaply animated cartoon, that's never okay for a comic. Marvel should have never abandoned the idea of a house style. Allow people to deviate a bit for Joke characters or whatever but having your flagship titles look like a Jab! comic is not a good look.

His style was okay in the 90s but he's gotten really lazy and fucks up anatomy way too much the days. He draws characters with boxy bodies and limbs contorting all over the place. And I'm not talking about just Spider-Man.

>venom being dominated by a fiery red head
>her domming it to the point of both of them domming peter

All of muh dick

I feel you it’s a shame because I do like his work on peter Parker spider-man from years ago

When did they officially drop the house style?

I know user, I know, VenoMJ was fucking great and we didn’t get nearly enough of her. Renew Your Vows also have us a number of nice little moments

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1885, 1.75M)

Ironically about the time guys like McFarlane and Liefled set sales records with their unique art styles. Jim Lee outsold both of them combined with his record breaking X-men run and could've brought balance to the force but it all broke down when the Image boys left and set the industry on fire.

That's when marvel started panic hiring any kind of fucking hack with a wild style and began the enduring trend of allowing any kind of ugly crap art as long as it sells books. I still have PTSD from those terrible bone claw Wolverine books. Some of the most ugly art I've ever seen.

Attached: 1026458-boneclawsvsmetaljw9.jpg (434x692, 93K)

>His strongest point is paneling
I have no idea why you're saying this. The individual images are nice, but Todd's composition for pages is pretty legendary for being shit, especially once he tried to write his own book. The panels are often far too zoomed in, there's no real sense of motion between them, there's no consistency in terms of conveying the passage of time, context is largely absent and forces you to make assumptions, action tends to be limp, emphasis is often placed on static moments instead of dynamic ones, he often tried to cheat actually drawing fights by having attacks be off panel or only drawing the exact location of impact, etc.

I don't mean to appeal to authority, but Harlan Ellison and PAD came to the same conclusions before I even hit puberty, and they're far more clever than I am. Do you wanna discuss the actual nitty gritty of layouts if you're so adamant? If you do, could I ask that you use Ditko or Romita Sr as a point of comparison? I'm very familiar with their work and they're well known in comics circles for their layouts being fantastic.

Attached: 1_5eKVnYisTG6L-RCkMMrVGw.jpg (1351x2000, 1000K)

Honestly people shit on the MCU for one reason or another, but at least when a character is done they can't be buttfucked for all eternity. Iron Man is done, Captain America is done, it's nice to have finality to the characters.

>Ditko and Romita Sr.
They mastered the old style but never ventured out of it. They may have been better at what they were doing but what they were doing was getting boring and stale.

Todd McFarlane, for better or worse pretty much invented the modern comic paneling style. No amount of bitching on your part according to your personal taste is going to change that objective fact.

Fuck off, Mudinsky.

>The last 10 years were great.
Wow, what a horrible opinion.

>They mastered the old style but never ventured out of it.
What the absolute fuck are you talking about? Ditko was notable specifically BECAUSE his layouts weren't conventional. His art was decompressed, his panels quick and snappy, and he had a knack for making the character follow through kinetically from panel to panel. Dude was ahead of the curve by a decade in terms of panelling while his rendering kinda sucked, it's literally what he's famous for.
>Todd McFarlane, for better or worse pretty much invented the modern comic paneling style.
The fuck are you on about? Who and where? When? In what way? You've said absolutely nothing about how he did layouts while claiming he revolutionized layouts. What the absolute fuck, user? Explain instead of claiming, motherfucker.

Are you blind or never read a comic before and after McFarlane's Spider-Man?

>having the character break through the borders of the panel
>splash page with floating panels in sequential order
>completely doing away with the 3x3 and making every page unique
>page high thin vertical panels
>multiple wide shot horizontal panels
>themed panel borders like a telephone cord or webbing
>extreme close ups

>I have no idea why you're saying this.
And I have no idea what you're trying to say.

>The individual images are nice
The individual images are the weakest point because his anatomy is shit but it's hidden by time consuming and eye pleasing rendering.

>but Todd's composition for pages is pretty legendary for being shit
Among super conservative Golden, Silver and Bronze age fags maybe but generally he's acknowledged for being revolutionary regarding innovation in terms of panelling and page composition.

>especially once he tried to write his own book
He didn't just try to, he actually did write his own books. Didn't you know?

>The panels are often far too zoomed in
This is highly subjective. Love it or hate it though, his extreme close up were innovative and achieved a look that hadn't been done before and was copied a lot after.

>there's no real sense of motion between them
This just isn't true, he very often draws floating panels like animation frames, with sequential art in them. You can't get any more sense of motion than literally mock animating something, you stupid oaf.

>there's no consistency in terms of conveying the passage of time
What are you even trying to say here. This makes no sense. Do you want him to draw a clock?

>context is largely absent and forces you to make assumptions
Again, what? What kind of context are you talking about? What's missing that is present in other stuff?

>action tends to be limp, emphasis is often placed on static moments instead of dynamic ones
This is complete nonsense. He constantly draws leaping, kicking and punching characters. Foes and heroes crashing into walls and stuff like that. Lots of movement, highly dynamic. You are flat out lying.

>he often tried to cheat actually drawing fights by having attacks be off panel or only drawing the exact location of impact, etc.
This is hilarious, he cheats by adding something impactful that hadn't been done before? Okay, buddeh.

>having the character break through the borders of the panel
>splash page with floating panels in sequential order
>completely doing away with the 3x3 and making every page unique
>page high thin vertical panels
>multiple wide shot horizontal panels
I guess Reed Crandall, Will Eisner, Jack Cole, Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, Neal Adams, Joe Kubert, Hugo Pratt, Moebius, Alex Toth and Frank Frazetta never existed.

Fuck off. You don't have a goddamn idea what you're talking about.

>he cheats by adding something impactful that hadn't been done before
No, he cheats having to draw action by not drawing it at all. It wasn't new, he just used it as a crutch. See
where instead of drawing Peter walloping Venom in a desperate attack, scrambling up while pulling off his costume, he just draws Peter's fist next to Venom's face with some speedlines and then cuts to Peter somehow already being far away and undressed. Todd would regularly pussy out of actually drawing action because that shit's hard, instead shoving it all off panel.

All of those guys maybe had one or two of those in one issue but not literally every page. Just like with the shading, McFarlane created a new look by doing more of it and all the time.

Jack Kirby rarely deviated from his standard 5 or 6 panel pages. So again, you're just pulling shit out of your ass to avoid giving McFarlane credit for anything other than extreme close ups which you see as a flaw because you hate them.

Renew your vows was almost perfect pre time skip, I will still never not be mad that they did that. Though the timeline still makes no sense, normie was 9 by the time Mayday died so why would he be the same age as her younger sister?

When did it say that Normie was 9 when MJ and Peter lost Mayday? I always got the impression that Annie and Normie were around the same age.

>Todd would regularly pussy out of actually drawing action because that shit's hard, instead shoving it all off panel
This is so ridiculous. I've heard the opposite as a criticism, that he drew too lengthy fight scenes to avoid writing dialogue and plot. No matter what he's doing it seems hater's always accuse him of only doing it to avoid doing that which he isn't doing. You guys are nuts and I don't even like McFarlane that much.

Attached: RCO006_1462743744.jpg (995x1517, 412K)

>but not literally every page
I don't see any of that shit in
except wide panels (in one out of three) and close ups.
>Jack Kirby rarely deviated from his standard 5 or 6 panel pages.
That's not even true what the fuck? Kirby was notable in the Golden Age for having really bizarre paneling with weird curved borders (that other artists tried and failed to emulate) and he had a wide variety in the Silver and Bronze ages, going from splash pages to spread to non-panel pages to nine panel grids to three panel pages to what you're calling his "standard." He was all over the place. What are you TALKING about???

>So again, you're just pulling shit out of your ass to avoid giving McFarlane credit for anything other than extreme close ups which you see as a flaw because you hate them.
No, I'm just not gonna fucking lie and say he was somehow any good at layouts just because he was popular and sometimes copied gimmicks he saw other artists do. He didn't reinvent the wheel or anything and his layouts were pretty trash to begin with. I can't really point at more than a handful of artists who even picked up any of his techniques going forward, and most of those were the Image crowd anyway.

Dude did good pinups and poses, but he sucked ass at actually composing pages. All you've done is say he was super cool and point out that sometimes he used a gimmick without saying why you think that's any good.

I'm pretty convinced you're Eddiefag at this point. Say "Flash Thompson is Venom" and I'll stop being suspicious of you.

Attached: Cap.jpg (950x656, 260K)

>I've heard the opposite as a criticism, that he drew too lengthy fight scenes to avoid writing dialogue and plot.
That's not mutually exclusive you dumb motherfucker.

You can even see it in that page! You get a closeup of Conners' hand on Peter's face and then they just vaguely pose next to each other! He isn't actually drawing any of the action! He's implying it! Nothing is actually happening!

Just because he draws a long fight scene doesn't change that he's not actually drawing the actions! Jesus Christ!

Pretty crazy to see this thread. One More Day was the reason I dropped Spider-Man too. Been thinking about picking it up after all these years, but I'm not sure. And this thread left me even more confused about it.

>That's not mutually exclusive you dumb motherfucker.
Yes it is, you fucking retard.

Except I guess when you're shizo enough as you are and claim that he's not actually drawing action when he's drawing action.

>Dude did good pinups and poses
You keep saying that but his poses are his weakest point because his anatomy is crap. Are you from an alternative reality.

>Say "Flash Thompson is Venom"
Well, he's not anymore but he was for a time. So, Flash Thompson was Venom. Is that good enough for you shizo?

>Yes it is, you fucking retard.
I can't fathom how someone could be stupid enough to think "all Todd writes is action scenes because he hates writing" means it's impossible for Todd to take the easy path and avoid actually drawing said action. There's nothing contradictory there.
>ANATOMY = POSE
No. Todd keeps referencing the pose from Spider-Man #1 for a reason. His cool comic book poses are a big part of what made him famous. Just because he can't figure out what a trapezius is doesn't mean he can't draw a cool pose.

Also the fact that you refuse to say the thing I asked speaks volumes. Fuck off, Eddiefag. Eddie and Flash are both Venom and Todd's layouts are piss.

>I don't see any of that shit in
certainly not a traditional 9 or 6 panel layout
extreme donut close up
multiple wide angle panels on one page, most old school artists would do only one wide angle per page

>That's not even true what the fuck? Kirby was notable in the Golden Age for having really bizarre paneling with weird curved borders (that other artists tried and failed to emulate) and he had a wide variety in the Silver and Bronze ages, going from splash pages to spread to non-panel pages to nine panel grids to three panel pages to what you're calling his "standard." He was all over the place. What are you TALKING about???

Hahaha, you're confusing Ditko for Jack Kirby. How fucking embarrassing, stop posting immediately. Jack Kirby had like a handful of page layout which he would repeat OVER AND OVER AGAIN ad nauseum. Dude did not experiment with paneling at all.

Pic related is your standard 5 panel Kirby.

Attached: RCO007_1468854244.jpg (1061x1500, 1.79M)

standard 4 panel Kirby

Attached: RCO006_1468854244.jpg (1061x1500, 1.6M)

standard Kirby 3 panel

Attached: RCO003_1468854244.jpg (1061x1500, 1.66M)

It’s worth at least a shot since Spencer took over, despite the rotating team of artists I’ve really enjoyed the story that he’s been building to and his usage of characters. I mean, did you ever think you’d ever see a Tri-Sentinel or Big Man in comics again? And the bromance with black ant and taskmaster is top tier. And what Spencer has done with Lizard as well.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1888, 2.49M)

standard 6 panel Kirby

and he did variations of these exact panel layouts on every issue

Attached: RCO013_1468854244.jpg (1061x1500, 1.69M)

Where would you recommend I start?

One More Day+ a Decade of Dan Slott's superior spider-man garbage destroyed the comics. Bring on the Spider-cat marriage.

Attached: Blackcatfinal.jpg (1500x1377, 879K)

>Dude did not experiment with paneling at all.
How about you go fuck yourself?

Attached: d19c46671836bf5bb4b994ac8c771a27.jpg (720x720, 130K)

and by variation I mean changing the position of the wide panel from middle to bottom or top, he also had one layout that was a two page spread with lots of smaller floating panels that he repeated a lot

Attached: RCO005_1468854244.jpg (1061x1500, 1.61M)

things are still bad as ever. come back in another 5 years to see if things have improved

Amazing Spider-Man 1 (#802) by Nick Spencer

Attached: image.jpg (678x1024, 755K)

Yep. Never did anything else.

Attached: SuperPowers6pg12.jpg (803x1203, 433K)

>at the tail end of his career after going to DC, Kirby drew some diagonal panel borders though a panel without it actually affecting in the interior of the panel
WOW, such panelling innovation after 100s of issues of Kirby standard panels like this, you sure showed me up, buddy

Attached: RCO004_1468830934.jpg (1061x1500, 1.81M)

Anatomy is more than muscles. To achieve most of his poses you would have to break several bones in your body. His Spider-Man 1 cover is shit. I think you mistake it for his ASM 300 cover which is pretty cool but nothing but a lucky accident. If you draw crazy poses all the time, you're bound to at least once do a cool one. Most of the time his Spidey poses look like Peter wants to be fucked in the ass spread eagle midair while sniffing the sweat of his own balls. His poses are shit. The one the he's the worst at and you keep praising him for it, idiot!

>Poses are bad of they aren't realistic.
You are one dedicated shitposter, I'll give you that.

Anatomy is bad when it isn't "realistic" ie when it's flat out wrong instead of being merely a stylistic exaggeration. McFarlane;s poses are unusual but no, they are not good. He doesn't have good body composition, neither does he have dynamic curves or expressions in his poses. His characters look like somebody squeezed a squishy plush figure together and it's just started puffing out again after it's been releasing from the crushing grip.

Attached: RCO025_1462742836.jpg (1277x2022, 1.3M)

I like how this argument went from
>Todd McFarlane is the best ASM artist ever
to
>Todd McFarlane can't draw for shit, all his famous pinups were flukes, and his best contribution to comics was a ton of closeups of the art that we have established as lacking and doing new things every page.
Like what is even being argued anymore?

Oh user, so close to them quads

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1907, 2.15M)

I feel like there's a distinction between "he came up with a good pose" and "he drew that pose well," but I'm not gonna argue that his bodies tended to be pretty shit.

Man I hate that bundle of webs thing. It's always way too long.

It’s weird in terms of a timeline because if mayday was still born it implies that the timeline up until the clone saga was in tact which means normie would’ve been born and Harry would’ve died years before either Parker girl was conceived. It’s a minor gripe admittedly, it’s just weird what they decided to go with in this alternate present

He hit lightning in a bottle with this one. It was his one accidentally good pose and it happened on a big landmark issue. Did you ever notice though that the web doesn't shoot in the right direction? It doesn't shoot where his wrists points and his wrist doesn't point where his arm points. His anatomy is shit, he even admits that himself. His panelling is top notch though and revolutionised the industry, no matter how much the shizo ITT doesn't like that. McFarlane has a background in graphic design, not figure drawing. And it shows.

To be quite honest though, I actually don't like the fact that so many artists are still to this day aping McFarlane's intense panelling because they suck at it.

Attached: famous pose.jpg (413x640, 121K)

Erik Larsen aping Todd's crazy poses actually did it better and more anatomically accurate. Fight me.

Attached: larsenspm.jpg (786x1208, 431K)

Yeah but not by much.
Also Erik's art style is way more grating and the parts he essentially copy pastes are more obvious.

I think the very specific iteration known as "Bengus trying to copy Mark Bagley" was the best that crazy bullshit 90s Spidey ever got.

That and a couple panels by Buscema.

I just thought I'd pop in to say Spencer's ASM is the best the book has been in 10 years.

It's nice to be excited for each new issue again.

Attached: free comic book day Spider-Man Ryan Ottley.jpg (1200x910, 339K)

Well when Slott has been on the title for that long, anyone is going to come in looking good. Problem with Spencer's run is that it's boring. Fun but ultimately boring.

It’s nit an exact replica of the timeline, aside from Mayday being lost during childbirth, the mutant participation in the Civil War ended vastly different with Logan and Jean ending up married.
Goddamn, I just realized that also means in that time line Peter never unmasked himself for OMD, and that was probably going down while MJ was pregnant with Annie, given the age gap between her and Logan and Jean’s kid.
I just want a spider-Family book damnit

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1890, 2.21M)

Well, Brand New Day was very up and down with stories that were either really shit (Freak, Peter Parker: Paparazzi), or really good (New Ways to Die, American Son), and I legitimately enjoyed most of big time, but it obviously wasn't without its fair show of up and downs.

I wouldn't say Spencer's run is boring, though Hunted did go on for way too long, and I hope we start wrapping up the Kindred stuff sooner than later.

And I can see why some people might think the Boomerang focused stuff is boring, but I absolutely adored Superior Foes, so it just feels like I'm getting more of that, so I can't complain.

Attached: boomerang syrup.jpg (1384x701, 270K)

I stopped reading ASM when Bagely came on, I hated his art. I hated pretty much all Marvel art of the era though. Early computer coloring is even worse than current computer coloring.

the problem with spencer is he's pretty much just been cleaning up the canon, dealing with one more day rekilling kraven and providing a suitable replacement again fixing black cat dealing with killing off aunt may(maybe) and giving us some actual fallout from superior. Nigga hasn't really had time to do what he wants just what peter needs in order to actually progress as a character again

Exactly this user. Especially regarding Boomerang! As someone who loved Fred even before Superior Foes, I'm so happy that Fred is a major part of this run

They did. It was a superb history and ending for May as character. Then "it was all a plan by the Green Goblin. Genetically altered actress LOL" which, for me, was the beginning of the end of Spider-Man.

Attached: 5509719-rco028_1471292836.jpg (988x1500, 1.26M)

Is this the same autist shitposting the same list of boring, forgettable gimmicks that had no impact on the character and the overarching story whatsoever in every thread?
Does Dan Slott pay you to do this?

Its such a good issue, why did they have to go and fuck it up?

I’m the one who posted up the list. It was intended to be a short list of post OMD stories found within the mainline ASM comic rather than branching off into one of the many adjacent titles. While overall I disliked Slott’s over stayed run, it would be disingenuous of me not to admit that there were somethings from his run that I did enjoy.

Same user, I would go as far to say people would have considered it an excellent run if he finished superior on time and ended his run there. But alas he had to continue for years and just get pissy with everyone about hating his lack of progression for peter

I personally didn’t care to much for Superior, at least the main book, mainly because it required everyone around him to take stupid pills to not notice the drastic change in character. I feel Slott should have stepped down, or at least worked with another writer to slowly begin to cycle him out. That’s not to say there weren’t things from Superior I enjoyed, but overall it was meh for me

same, I dropped spidey in that time. If he went on for only 6 issues it would've been fine but fucking hell it was two fucking years of characters not remembering that they know who peter is and that he wouldn't act like suck a tool

Yeah there are a lot of us, even many people who weathered the clone saga dark ages called it quits after OMD.

I've tried to get back into it a few times and it's been next to impossible. The quality and maturity of the story lines in so far below where it used to be.

No to mention the very mediocre artwork.

I really wish Romita Jr and Straczynski would come back and clean up this shit show.

Attached: ASM30-A.jpg (2117x3196, 2.38M)

I love JMS but he got us into this mess, I don't trust him to get us out. Check out Zdarskys run on spectacular (it has a weak beginning but it ends with a solid arc and a GREAT single issue) and Friendly Neighborhood has been decent throughout, I've been hearing cancellation rumors but I dunno, its less than a year away from hitting two decent mile stones back to back (25th issue of the run then 50th issue of the imprint) and the sales have kept it in the top 25 so I hope marvel holds out with the title

LOVE how like "textured" his suit looks there

Personally, I think this was the pinnacle of modern AMS comics, which is why pretty much everything in the last decade has paled in comparison. JMS's writing was so vivid and detailed and Romita's art is insanely phenomenal. This book also introduces the idea of Peter having mystical totem powers, as well as the introduction of Ezekiel which sounds crazy but with Morlun involved it is actually cool as hell. Truly a dark brooding storyline. Another great change to Peter's status is his new occupation as the science teacher in his old high school, which also features a heartfelt story of Peter's efforts to help one his students. This book is definitely one of the greatest collections I've ever read.

Most every spidey title now suck ass in comparison.

The art looks awesome but is the story good?

Well he wouldn't have Quesada to deal with this time, so I'd have faith in a 2nd run if he took it. I'll check out Zdarsky though.

Did anyone like Spiderman Noir?

Attached: 516MGipjBIL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (330x499, 37K)

The first arc isn't great but he actually gives pete more character progression in 5 issues than Slott did in an entire run

Yes, and it was stupid of Slott and Gage to kill him off, especially since he ended up being in the Spider-Verse film.

That honestly could’ve been editorial telling them to do that to not give spiderverse anymore play. Or it was just slott being a passive agressive bitch, either works

I'm glad they're looking to the right source for inspiration.

I'm 99% sure it was all Slott. We're talking about the guy that had Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends killed off and threatened to kill the dog if people wouldn't stop complaining.

>really lame
Sure, you could say that. Boneheaded sometimes? Okay, sure. The outright "idiotic" manchild that Slott turned him into who couldn't succeed at literally anything for a decade? No, he was never that in the past, not even if you flanderized these aforementioned aspects.
Thankfully though the character is seeing a bit of a renaissance right now and I couldn't be happier.

>you hare supposed to laugh at what a loser he is not laugh with him.

Wrong.

Well it oozes edge but it's a Carnage story so duh. I've had a decent time with it overall (the art is definite eye candy) but if you're the type of person who thinks extremely over the top edge is automatically bad I'd avoid it.

Dumb casual
Why even post?

Attached: 220px-John_Romita_Sr,_2006.jpg (220x263, 11K)

Check out renew your vows. It's a alternate universe where one more day never happened.

Attached: RenewYourVows.jpg (659x1000, 395K)

That kind of thinking led to the cringe "humor" in Spider-Man in the 2010's instead of naturally done humor.

Did you quote the wrong post there? Everything alright with you?

Learn some history. Do you even know who JRSR is?

Attached: ss.png (1415x513, 90K)

Romance comics in the 50s and 60s were actually drawn well and drawn by people with real training in fine art figure drawing. Even Frazetta drew romance comics and they were glorious and fingerlicking good, full of cheesecake. I didn't know that about Romita Sr but my dig wasn't at trained artists who were doing romance comics back in the day.

It's sadly almost 2020, fuckface. I was quite obviously talking about teenage girls without any traditional art training posting their shitty romance comics on tumblr with an art style just like that published official Spidey art, which is a crying shame.

At no point reading my post should you have gotten triggered like a little bitch. The romance comics of the 50s and 60s that were penned by well trained professional artists have nothing in common with that art that was posted or the shit I compared it to because it looks just like it.

Oh god I'm salivating just imagining a Frazetta run on early Spiderman. His Gwen and MJ would've been insane and his superb anatomy and perspective would've made for incredible Spidey action.

Attached: 205815fafd8bd47a12c4fbab0180c1db.jpg (736x1115, 258K)

Yeah bro Ottley is totally an amateur from Tumblr with no prior experience. What style would you prefer?

I would prefer the superior Ryan, the one who can actually draw well.

>In an interview with comic book website Project Fanboy, Ottley discussed how he got into the comic book industry after being fired from his previous employer as a warehouse worker

Hahaha, all that professional art training from packing boxes and shit.

Yeah a decade and a half of professional experience with visible improvement means fuck all

The weirdest thing is that Hellcat started off in romance comics.

Attached: 73927-1062-73725-1-patsy-walker.jpg (421x640, 70K)

It does mean fuck all if you still shit out pages like this

The only thing that one could argue is wrong with that page is that Peter and MJ look similar to other characters of his. Ottley's style lends itself well to ASM, it looks better than a lot of other modern Marvel art, and it definitely looks leagues better than amateur shipping comics from Tumblr. That comparison didn't even make any sense.
Footnote, if you don't think he has improved at all since he started Invincible you're blind.

I haven't followed his career but I don't doubt he used to be even worse. The lines are shit, the expressions are shit, the color is shit, the page is shit. There's nothing redeeming about it. I'm not claiming there isn't even worse shit being published by Marvel but that doesn't change the fact that it's still shit. If you like that shit you have shit taste. My condolences.

I would prefer Mayday. It's like reading X-Force, you know its great but you also know that it spun out of the decay of a better story by stupid and/or vindictive editors and writers.

Attached: RCO012_1462742836.jpg (1291x2016, 966K)

Attached: RCO015_1462742836.jpg (1273x2022, 1.29M)

>Todd McFarlane, for better or worse pretty much invented the modern comic paneling style.
That's horseshit and you know it.

Read the story, Peter got visions that she died and Kraven just put him through the ringer.

Honestly if Todd jumped back on AMS again for another run, I’d buy every issue. His art shits all over any current ASM artist.

Attached: 8A443EC3-FA86-480C-AF7E-D7E0928587C8.jpg (400x537, 434K)

Todd is the Tarantino of comicbooks and you know it.

I never understood how his secret identity is supposed to work out. Peter Parker and only Peter Parker is able to get these amazing photographs of Spider-man from impossible heights and angles, how is he supposed to do it if he isn't Spider-man himself? How come he knows where Spider-man will show up when no other photographer can figure it out?

Whoa are you tryna claim that this peter Parker is some kinda spidery man? Because everyone knows that it’s really John Jameson, which explains why Jonah is so anti spider-man(to cover for his son) and also why his paper is the only paper who gets all of those photos despite being completely against him

Quentin didn't get to Pulp Fiction and make nothing but that for 30 years while making most of his money in another field where his real passion lies.

Go read ASM 1-100 already. It gets pretty thoroughly covered.
>People dress up like Spidey and get mistaken for him plenty, including dumb teens and young adults like Flash and Peter.
>Peter Parker was blatantly proven to NOT be Spider-Man by Doc Ock.
>Peter and Spidey have been in the same room at the same time more than once.
>Peter is a great photographer in general and only does Spidey to cover himself financially.