Could The Thing replicate/absorb the gems in the SU universe...

Could The Thing replicate/absorb the gems in the SU universe? They obviously don't follow normal biological processes such as cellular structures, but there has to b something that makes them tick that The Thing can take advantage of.

Attached: The-Thing-dog-monster.gif (500x218, 487K)

The Gems are minerals that generate hard light.
The Thing manipulates organic material.
So no, The Thing would not be able to assimilate the Gems. It could totally fucking kill them I bet though.

They’re explicitly not organic. Only one is Steven and even then, his Pink Steven side would kill this asshole.

It could probably kill or fuck with them mentally, but infect them? No. You'd need the Bydo for that.

just throwing them off a big enough cliff would be enough to kill/maim one, so yes the thing could surely kill gems.

>Only one is Steven and even then, his Pink Steven side would kill this asshole.
This does make you think though: gems may not be organic as we know it, but they can still cross breed with organic life. There has to be a link.

the gems create facsimiles of organs out of light
functions akin to organic, but isn't

No
Thing is meat, possibly plant or bacteria but that's a stretch
Gems are minerals

Gems are a hard counter to the Thing. No organics for it to assimilate. Strength and durability way beyond what organics are capable of. Many gems are capable of generating heat or cold sufficient to kill or incapacitate the Thing. And the gems routinely sterilize planets of organic life.

Attached: this kills the thing.png (480x300, 131K)

Gem durability has always been wonky. Jasper fucking survived atmospheric re-entry (but then got poofed by a piece of metal later on)

Just because you can kill a gem doesnt mean they're the same type of lifeform like you and me user.
By that logic the thing would be able to absorb plant life or assimilate technology, or Rocks (gems are still rocks)

Dunno about technology, but plant life doesn't really seem out of the question. We've just never seen it in the movie because it's in Antarctica. Tech's another story though.

>S6 reveals Gems were an engineered race designed to counter Tyranid-like aliums, who eventually return when Homeworld's forces are at its weakest

Corrupted Jasper. I think it weakens them.

A particularly weak and underdeveloped one cracked her Gem by accident. Not shatter. A cracked Gem is still alive, it could maybe defeat one, but never a group.

Then I guess gem durability is somewhere between "shattered by an anvil" and "can survive falling to earth from space, and the pressure at the bottom of the ocean"

I'd say poofed is different from shattered. Shattering a gem is way harder than discorporating them.

>"shattered by an anvil"
This is by far the most damaging of what you mentioned. A multi-ton anvil dropped from a hundred feet or so packs a lot of kinetic energy, which is converted on impact to very high pressures, which can shatter hard, brittle things like gems. You can shatter a real diamond with a hammer.

>"can survive falling to earth from space,
The main danger here is from the heat, and most gems are rather heat-resistant. Consider that the Space Shuttle heat shield was notoriously fragile to impacts.

>the pressure at the bottom of the ocean"
Is isostatic, so there is no net force on something submerged. A cube of Jello would handle it just fine. Living things need adaptations for the pressure, but that's due to the pressure altering the behavior of the chemical reactions that organisms use to stay alive.

>but plant life doesn't really seem out of the question
In the Thing comic plants are immune thanks to their cell wall.

Well that's kinda silly
For one thing, it's just pentose and hexose sugars, and for another, they have canals to let things get to the cell membrane.

Take it up with the writers, but that's how it works. In the tv script I think there were a few Thing plants but its been too long since I read it to be sure

It takes over Steven and kills the rest of the humans and desyroys gems.

You are very smart

I don't know, Steven's human-half allows him to (mostly) shake off anti-hard-light attacks It's possible that his gem half could similarly enable him to shake off anti-organic attacks, especially with his strong focus on defense and healing.

Could Steven redeem "the thing"

If it showed up as a guest villain instead of a genre-blending crossover... maybe?

Attached: scritch lich.jpg (572x303, 123K)

Of course it could. Here's the result.

Attached: smoky-quartz.jpg (414x356, 31K)

What about necromorpe? Can a hordes of necromorpe plus several marker takeover gem home world

Attached: DS2_Necromorphs.jpg (732x366, 34K)

Basic contact with Steven.
Steven then fuses with other gems.
Gems are corrupted only during the time they spend fused and interacting with the Thing.
Unless the Thing can do the evolutionary jump necessary to turn into pure data, like that angel in Neon Genesis Evangelion that turned from mold into a computer virus, it cannot touch the gems' internal cores, which, if gems are akin to brains or hard disks, are only storage for their data packages containing their identities.
>if it can't make the evolutionary jump
abuse Steven's form to infect planet earth, turn all biomass into itself, rule earth and possibly access a way to interplanetary travel, convert other biomass, rinse and repeat. Gems won't do shit since Steven is part of them and can talk his way out of it, plus it's the loveable guy, they wouldn't risk killing him.
>if it can make the evolutionary jump
shit's fucked.

No, because without adequate bio-matter a necromorph horde will just stall and go into hibernation. Pretty sure the Marker signal only affects 'living' beings too.

good plot for a edgy fanfic

>Could The Thing replicate/absorb the gems in the SU universe? They obviously don't follow normal biological processes such as cellular structures

This entire thread, therefore, is pointless.

Better ask if the thing could defeat a venom symbiot!

Attached: image.jpg (610x350, 157K)

Not really. He would have to convince the Thing to stop interacting with all over living things so it doesn't accidentally 'infect' them. It's unclear if the infection is a conscious decision.

Welp that's the most canon info we have on this friendo
I remember chicken eggs infected but not plants