*THIS ISN'T PURELY A STEVEN UNIVERSE THREAD. DON'T DELETE JANNIES*

*THIS ISN'T PURELY A STEVEN UNIVERSE THREAD. DON'T DELETE JANNIES*

Can we talk about why western animation is never as good as eastern animation when it comes to action? This entire scene was animated by a third party Japanese guy. Other shows like Avatar with great action scenes use Japanese/Korean animators .

Attached: Let's play another game this time I get to win Lives on the line Winner takes all Ready or (960x540, 3M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPA_(animation_studio)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hubley
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hilberman
youtube.com/watch?v=OLgi8svSoi0
youtube.com/watch?v=FsTnUDhONp4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: 32512a54456146638fa72706ad17ccfedb72d334e30f74b68cbb5f79dedcd159.gif (749x1050, 3.9M)

Because America has these things called worker's rights and unions which prevent certain occupations from being turned into slave labor. Animation is one of them.

Asia lacks many of these rules and regulations to keep people from being fully turned into just cogs in the machine and so it is cheaper to have things animated there. It being cheaper there means they get more business from elsewhere so there's more competition between studios for contracts and so workers get treated even poorer and paid even less to stay competitive.

For something to be animated well in America it costs millions of dollars often times because the people who do the animation are paid wadges they can actually sustain themselves on. Economic issues not withstanding in this explanation of course, since that gets away from it being Yea Forums related.

yeah its both an SU thread and an Yea Forums vs Yea Forums thread, mods please ban this retard

Sad, isn’t it?

You mean American millennials are just selfish and lazy. In the 60s American animation was king, there’s no reason japs who just copy American ideas badly should be able to put out better work

retarded boomer spotted

Also to add: It's a common practice for anime animators to get paid by the DRAWING. Which encourages them to draw more and more so they have a livable wage by the time pay week rolls around.

America has its own problems. Studios are starting to saddle storyboard artists with several jobs in one (Writing, drawing, clean up, layout, timing, sometimes keyframe animation) with no increase in pay or time to do the work.

Attached: Lord Hater Animatic Animation.gif (480x360, 584K)

its almost like employers by their nature seek to cheat employees out of the payment they deserve

you would think that people would have pointed out this issue a long time ago, I wonder why all the advanced capitalist nations don't realize it?

Attached: Con_shot_chaos.jpg (640x480, 50K)

fuck i wish webm's had slomo

MUUUUUUCHA

1. Right click
2. Play Speed
3. Slow (0.5x)

that's from El Tigre

On top of that I think it's worth mentioning that Spinel actually uses 1920s/30s motion techniques like squashing and multiples and I think that's sick as hell

No, animation was shit in the 1960s. US animation lost its prowess with the formation of UPA Studio who specifically made it a goal to reduce the detailed animation of Disney, etc and mimic abstract/Soviet animation. That's why at the end of the "golden age" you have lots of really wonky and ugly shit.
Just from wikipedia alone
>UPA was founded in the wake of the Disney animators' strike of 1941, which resulted in the exodus of a number of long-time Walt Disney staff members. Among them was John Hubley, a layout artist who was unhappy with the ultra-realistic style of animation that Disney had been utilising. Along with a number of his colleagues, Hubley believed that animation did not have to be a painstakingly realistic imitation of real life; they felt that the medium of animation had been constrained by efforts to depict cinematic reality.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPA_(animation_studio)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hubley
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hilberman

a shame no one watches the newer Pokemon episodes now that the animation's a lot better

Attached: 1501771655482(1).webm (480x270, 2.82M)

anyone got a mega for the Steven universe season 5? want to watch it before watching the movie

This. I don't get why people claim animation was better in the 60s when it isn't at all.

Because skilled westerners want money for work whereas Japanese and Korean animators will work 80 hours a week for salary?

I recently read an article about the animation industry in Japan and a lot of them work 70 hour weeks and get paid something between 40K and 60K a year. It's absurd, the studios are basically getting two full-time animators for the price of one.

So yeah, hand-drawn animation is super cheap over there so they use more of it and, as a consequence, are better at using it.

are jannies deleting SU threads now?
explains why I see so few spinels

Attached: 1567578806217.png (1254x1158, 457K)

Doesn't seem so from my end, but I can't really say.

The animation didn't get better imo they simply changed the style to a more child like, cutesy one. Which didn't help with the whole "Ash never ages" thing. Still think we need a Canon explanation for that.

Boomer go and stay go.

I never cared about Steven Universe since it always seemed to be about lesbians, but this character looks fun as hell. Is it completed? Is it worth a watch?

youtube.com/watch?v=OLgi8svSoi0

There are animators in the west who can do action scenes(inbal breda). I think studios are just lazy and are not willing to pay for highly action-oriented animations.

youtube.com/watch?v=FsTnUDhONp4

Here's another example... although he passed away a few weeks ago rip

You can just watch the movie by itself if you’re interested, it was created to be watchable by both fans and non-fans

The main story is done, and it's pretty easy to skip around the filler shit and just watch plot-relevant episodes.

The lesbian shit gets pretty in-your-face about it towards the end but by that time you're pretty much invested in the plot

I'll give the movie a watch, and go from there. Thanks.

>Hubley believed that animation did not have to be a painstakingly realistic imitation of real life; they felt that the medium of animation had been constrained by efforts to depict cinematic reality.
UPA mostly sucked balls but Hubley was right on the money here

I don't recommend watching the movie by itself if you haven't watched original episodes. There are so many throwback scenes to previous episodes. Just watch clips of Spinel from youtube instead I guess.

this is all total bullshit

that segment showcases the actual reason very well; different priorities, willingness to sacrifice quality enormously in other areas in order to afford the 'sakuga' moments, vs desire for consistent 'acceptable' quality. that fight has some terrible compositing, two-frame talk cycles, and hilarious total discontinuities (things which the rest of the film mostly avoids), to pay for the sakuga.

I'll still give it a watch. I wish I had the time to commit and watch the series before the movie, but I get bored pretty easily, and would rather just give the movie a watch, than go 3 or 4 seasons in, and get sick of it.

It's got some high marks especially in the first half of the series, but suffered a clear and undeniable quality drop-off as it went on, until it fell apart completely in the end.

The movie is actually pretty great, just watch that and you'll get the gist of what it's all about, it is designed to serve as a recap ahead of a future gaiden series (although by nature that means it 'spoils' absolutely everything, if that's something you cared about).

They do. But normies like to wrap themselves up in cynicism, saying that whatever replaces the current structure will be worse. Because, ultimately, that's easier than doing anything about it and you get to pretend that you sound wise and experienced.

>please don't delete my east vs west thread
god you're pathetic

Attached: 1567501396103.png (490x536, 198K)

Attached: mao-mao-images-3.jpg (780x613, 50K)

animation is much more respected in Japan and has more talent as a result
that and more slave labor

>more respected
>slave labor

You really gotta pick one, my dude.

Animation is respected. Animators aren't.

bruv if you wanna live in a communist society so bad just stop eating right now

He started looking older in xy then suddenly regressed in age when sun and moon animation hit him.
I've never minded the whole not growing up because if you take every episode of Pokemon as a day, since they never time skip and also some episodes go on for a while in the same day, i would say around 2-3 years have passed,
Im sure someone out there has kept track of in anime time passed, everytime they sleep or skip to next day etc.

The Movie recaps a lot of the core themes from the series in a more bite-sized watch but I feel a lot of the impact will be lost if you don't watch the show.

COMMUNISM NO FOOD

Name a communist society that didn't go up in flames.