How long will it take me to get good with FL Studio as a complete beginner?

How long will it take me to get good with FL Studio as a complete beginner?

Attached: fl.png (971x522, 483.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

image-line.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=TkTZLblecPM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A few days. It's pretty user friendly.

Literally years, if you wanna be good.

Thanks.

I make trap beats so I can't really tell you. But I feel like it's pretty easy for total beginners, and is hated by faggots that are used to other daws.

Where can I get the complete edition virus and miner-free?

image-line.com/

What's the max I could get to spend if I only want the basic features?

Just accept that you won't be able to make a symphonic masterpiece in only a week and give it a bit of time mastering all of the basics. Eventually you will become great if you wish to truly hone in rather than give up early.

Fuck FL Studio use Ableton

>makes trap beats
>calls other people faggots
bruh

What kind of music do you want to make?
If you don't want to use cracked software, you could always go with Reaper and ignore the nag screen after 30 days.

House, techno and some pop tracks, I'd like to make a mixtape.

post music faggot

Don't want to start a flame war or anything, but I will say I never liked the look of the fl studio ui, looks like a toy or something, I don't know. Ableton is much easier on the eyes at least to me. But they all do pretty much the same thing so whatever

lol trap beats

>Make trap beat
>Don't use fl studio
What you use?

Attached: 6dc.jpg (400x384, 12.94K)

This. Ableton in arrangement view completely mogs FL.

You could literally use any daw.

i do use fl studio, i'm saying i cant tell him because i make trap beats and therefore i am not actually a musician or good at using fl studio

So you use Ableton?
Men... That sucks

I don't think people who say this have ever actually used FL Studio in their lives.

FL Studio is fairly easy to use once you understand the workflow. I keep three things open at all time when I'm working on a song. Playlist, step sequencer, and the Mixer. Once you understand that the sequencer can switch between patterns (these are represented usually by the number up top near the tempo - not the actual tempo itself but it starts with Pattern 1) and that you fill these patterns in to be placed on the playlist, you can then switch to song mode and play multiple patterns in succession to create the full song. The mixer is then used by placing the instruments or samples you have in the sequencer on tracks. These tracks are represented by the number next to the instrument channel you place in the sequencer. Using the mixer, the rack on the right for plugins is where you'll add compression, EQ, reverb, etc. Toy around with this basic workflow and learn the ins and outs of every plugin and how the sequencer works, and you'll be making full songs in FL Studio. Whether or not they are good depends on your musicality and further understanding of mixing and processing effects.

Also, disregard the stupid fucking DAW wars that say FL Studio is garbage. Anyone who says that never took the time to learn it because "The UI is awful". Also, don't believe anyone who says FL Studio is only for making trap beats. It's horseshit. I make everything from post-punk, to sludge, doom metal and alternative rock in it with actually live recorded instruments. You can limit yourself to using just the step sequencer and staying super quantized if you want but that's not going to sound good. Any time you can, in any daw, actually play your melodies and beats rather than clicking them in on the piano roll.

I love FLStudio's concept of patterns and the playlist .. and now the alternate playlists that you can make.
I really wish that Reaper had something similar, just because working with audio doesn't seem as intuitive in FLStudio.

WOrking on the playlist zoomed in with the quantization set to "none" you can clip and cut anything fairly easily. I will say it's not the most intuitive maybe, but it's still very workable.

Is this regarding working with audio in FL Studio?
I am so tempted to get the producer edition now... but in my research it sounds like "patterns" are only midi and audio clips are different things that can't be as nicely (re)arranged as the midi "patterns" that I remember back in the day from the old version of FL Studio.

Attached: FL9.jpg (850x638, 346.51K)

I just mean audio clips. You can place them anywhere on a playlist that you want, you can split or trim them, or you can switch off the "stretch" option in the playlist to shorten clips by dragging from the end of the WAV form on the right side of the clip, and it will trim the track itself. Working with audio overall is entirely what FL studio is about. You can do everything from writing to full on mixing and mastering in FL Studio, contrary to what a lot of unexperienced and pedantic people might say.

What I meant to say is that the playlist in FL Studio may be less intuitive for say - cutting samples or extracting samples from audio. That's why Edison Player exists though. It's a plugin within FL Studio that opens in a new window and gives you a much more in depth view of the wave file, more precise selection tools, and you can trim, fade in, fade out, add convolution, blur the audio, etc. In all honesty, if enough people show interest in learning about FL maybe I'll consider setting something up to kind of show basics? Not that it would be necessary because people can search for YT videos. But maybe I Could do a twitch tv thing and people could interact via chat?

i've seen tons of good music made in piano roll. Ambient is one genre that stands out as usually always being made in piano roll.

It can certainly be done but I find not using the piano roll for every single thing and playing the instrument or midi controller presents a more organic feel. The thing people associate with FL studio is amateur trap beats and shitty techno, I was just trying to make the point that there's a lot more possible than quantizing stuff to a piano roll. I've used FL Studio since FL Studio 4 and it has almost always been the case that the rest of the DAW community attacks FL Studio for nonsensical reasons and it usually shows a general misunderstanding of the DAW. I'm just so tired of the notions people have about it, having heard the meme for the last nearly 20 years.

Maybe. I think I'm giving myself anxiety trying to understand FL Studio without downloading the demo.
I also completely forgot about this dude:
youtube.com/watch?v=TkTZLblecPM

Can help you with some basics.
Playlist options > Snap > Main [ This helps you to use Main Snap for making pianoroll bars exactly 1/4 step or 1/4 beat forexample. ] Easy and fast to use this way.
Knob > Edit events > Alt+O = LFO
Pianoroll > Higlight note > Alt+U = Chopper
Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V = Duh
Options > General settings > Undo levels 100 [ Then just Ctrl + Alt + Z your way back if you ever need to ]
Then audio settings buffer lenght / offset to make everything respond faster and not to get your bus full of trafic [ 1024smp 50% offset works for me but if you use some demanding VSTi;s you should maybe use something like 2048smp 50%] etc.

What happens when you have midi for multiple instruments in a single pattern clip and then place that pattern clip on the playlist?
Every image that I have seen of the playlist only appears to show one instrument's worth of midi on a single track (horizontal line in the playlist).

For example:
Let's say your channel rack has a drum sample, an instance of vital, and an instance of massive.
You lay down four ticks for the drum sample, a chord in vital, and a bassline in massive; all on the same pattern.
You then place this pattern on the playlist.
What does it look like/how does it work?
What happens if you make a new pattern that only has midi for the massive vst instrument and then place that pattern on the playlist to play at the same time as your first pattern? In this example, would massive be receiving midi data from both patterns at the same time?

I don't have enough space on my computer to install FL Studio to try this out, otherwise I would.

want me to cut the bullshit? about 10000 hours.
you would be better off studying music theory than dicking around in fl studio
fl is just your 'instrument' and if you don't treat it like an instrument, you are going to piss time away better spent elsewhere.

The line represented is the midi track and should show all midi lines. If you place a pattern on the track with multiple midi instruments, they will all play at the same time if they're all present in the same pattern. And yes, if you have two patterns using the same midi instrument, both midi lines will play from the same instrument. I tend not to want to do this though as it seems kind of pointless when I could just make a new pattern adding the new lines together to keep things more organized.

Thank you.

i accept your concession

false flag

more like 1000 to 2000 hours - 10000 is the amount of time it takes to master something, and you don't need to be a master at musicmaking to make good music, but yeah your basically right

also, music theory barely matters past some of the baseline things like "genre" and whatnot.

The only reason people think music theory is hyper-important is because you need a route (genre/style) you know how to follow in order to make good music-

whether its following a Genre Definition (at least a bit of music theory would help for most genres, or at least being taught by others the baseline of the genres), or building your own definition of genre/music style through banging your head against the music wall and having it stick in a satisfying manner.

Or maybe you’re just to stubborn/stupid to actually listen to them? Think about it - different people have been telling you the same thing for decades yet here you are - a boomer ranting about a low-tier daw on Yea Forums

based double post :)

I don't know if I could say this in Yea Forums/ but TRIPS CONFIRMED!!!!

I've tried other DAWs. I honestly have preferred FL Studio every time. I've used Cakewalk, Cubase, Reason, Ableton....and yet I always prefer FL Studio. The only one I've considered trying that's new to me is Bitwig.

true, 20:80 rule and all, but then you need to be lucky

music theory teaches you why music sounds good, its FANTASTIC for writing music, but it kills the enjoyment of listening to it. that said a lot of what I like tends to fuse genres rather then being the best of a genre, and if you aren't playing an instrument but playing a daw, knowing more is always going to be beneficial.

in all honesty, instead of playing fl, I suggest getting a good drum pad, I forget the good ones but they are like 180-300$ and get a... I think 2 octave keyboard would be enough... would be a hell of alot more fun to dick around with those than just mouse clicks in fl.

Your second point is very true. Having a midi controller keyboard and a drum pad helps immensely. Drums are especially better with a good drum pad - even one on something like an Axiom 69 M-Audio keyboard.

I would say if you are going to go fingerdrumbing, you likely want a 4x4 pad, and seeing as a lot of what you would use fl studio for a 2 octave keyboard would be a minimum of what you want just for quality of life reasons, sadly I have to defer to others as I know nothing about combo's other than if you don't get good enough they tend to skimp on the drum pads and till the 300-600$ range they don't have weighted keys (and no, semi weighted is not weighted, anything short of hammer weight is a gimmick)

I use my Hydrasynth as a midicontroller as well and even though the keys aren't weighted they feel surprisingly good. But weighted keys definitely make for a better playing experience and allow for a lot more natural sound. I fucking miss having a real piano around.

I got a donner dsp-20, more or less as good as it gets for entry level weighted, I would probably go with an alesis graduated weighted keyboard if I wanted an upgrade, but really I don't plan on upgrading it till I hit a point where I can't
get by anymore with it.

lol

/thread

knowing software isnt knowing music making

Related question, anyone knows how sound gets stored on the computer ? Yeah i heard of the 44.1 khz bullshit or whatever but since all DAWS are SHIT and clunky i want to create my own program to generate some chiptune for some stuff i made where playing chiptunes would be appropriate
Whats the simplest most versatile format where i can easily shit out chiptune chords with numpy and shit ?

Quick question. IF someone wants to make electronic music and has money, is it much simpler to buy the actual equipment? Synths etc

You don't NEEED the equipment, but you can buy it and it will help a lot. I recommend learning songwriting in general though since it's easy to use equipment as a crutch (asides from instruments and whatnot), and never learn how to make music without it.

I see.

>dude hi-hat trills XD
They'd just be hip hop beats if you weren't beating a dead horse

What the fuck is this discussion here? Just download the demo and mess around for a few days and see for yourself if you like the workflow.

In regards to OPs question. The be good you'll probably could do it in a few months because you Youtube is full with great advice. But to be great, finding your own style, having competitive mixes and putting out music that builds a fan base... well this will take years.

I learned it when I was like 15, so it's pretty easy.

Learning a new DAW is crazy fast these days thanks to the wonders of google and Youtube. All it takes is a bit of daily diligence and research and you can learn one in a month.

The internet is full of information to help you with that.

keep beating this dead dick im about to cum

>How long will it take me to get good with FL Studio as a complete beginner?
a long time. it took me years to get to a point where i was comfortable releasing my work for people to use.
>I don't think people who say this have ever actually used FL Studio in their lives.
i've had copies of it since it was first released (a long time). the anons were right. ableton absolutely shits on fl studio in every department. same goes for reaper. fl studio will always be regarded as baby's first daw.

>Whats the simplest most versatile format where i can easily shit out chiptune chords with numpy and shit ?
always use wav.