This topic isn't about "best artist" but:

this topic isn't about "best artist" but:
Who is the best at "character design" ?
Obviously Jack Kirby is one of the best (if not the best) in terms of designing memorable characters.
so besides him who is the best?
and what makes a good character design

Attached: iu-1.jpg (2000x1000, 497K)

>Obviously Jack Kirby is one of the best (if not the best) in terms of designing memorable characters.

That certainly is a strong statement. Counterpoint: All of his characters have the same face and silhouette.

counterpoint: who has made more characters that have stood the test of time

Steve Ditko?
Stan Lee?

I dont know how much Stan Lee had with designing how the character looked.

Bump for interest

In terms of pure imagination, pure creativity, it's Jack Kirby and there isn't a close second. Kirby is one of the most creative people ever to be born.

>and what makes a good character design
You just know it when you see it. Call it a copout answer but it is what it is.

I don't know enough about art to describe why kirby's stuff works for me as much as it does

Attached: 1545423279772.jpg (1024x1587, 344K)

Just a reminder that this was Kirby's original design for Juggernaut...

Attached: Kirby Juggernaut.jpg (956x449, 147K)

So? It's the end product that is important

>Ditko
Who? Spider-man and Doctor Strange? Who else? Doesn't seem to come close to Kirby.
>Lee
lol

>Just a reminder that this was Kirby's original design for Juggernaut...
It was okay except for the spike nipple.

I'm doing a masters on aesthetics and if you're going by traditional composition it should be shit but it just fucking WORKS.
I'm lifting this off Cartoonist Kayfabe, but when talking about Archangel they talk about Walt Simonson's design show up in whoever draws him, and the first example they come up with other than Walt is Kirby.
The Inhumans or the New Gods will look like Kirby designed them for as long as they don't completely change their looks. Even Karnak, who has suffered probably the most drastic changes amongst Kirby's more "kirbyesque" books still change his costume to something kirbyesque because that's in his very dna.
Black Bolt and Orion in particular are just pure fucking Kirby, nothing they do to their costumes can change his influence.

Attached: jack-kirby-inhumans-002.jpg (969x1426, 490K)

You think they should bring back it in a Juggernaut story? because that would be nice.

>Who?
I agree that Kirby is certainly more prolific and his impact on comics is probably greater, but Ditko is up there. He designed all of Spider-Man's most iconic villains (and his rogue's gallery is one of the best). Also the Question and Silver Age Blue Beetle.

Iwao Takamoto

Attached: iu-1.jpg (1276x1035, 164K)

The design on the left is actually by Alex Toth.
He was a guest penciler in X-Men #12
Kirby actually drew over his finished pencils with the Juggernaut we know today.

good answer

Attached: 1510777196223.png (1280x809, 1.44M)

>Also the Question
Not trying to shit on Ditko but it's literally a faceless guy in a trenchcoat and fedora.

Attached: 13_mysterioussuspense_01_question_ditko.jpg (1032x1520, 560K)

It's a good design. Simplicity isn't bad.

Kirby and Ditko have great designs but also can you imagine having to draw like Kraven a million times in an issue? look at that guy!

Attached: b01fe2de3fe85e4f743e3239e19fb868.jpg (494x750, 84K)

Fred tough,Velma smug, Scooby cool,Shaggy rebel,Daphne sweet

i like Ditko but the Question is basically the killer from "Black and Black Lace" (1964) or the Blank from dick tracy (1934)
speaking of...Chester Gould is a pretty solid character designer

>basically the killer from "Black and Black Lace" (1964) or the Blank from dick tracy (1934)
Didn't know about them. Points removed for originality, but I still think it looks good

Alex Toth has done some memorable designs too.

Attached: alex.jpg (970x727, 133K)

i like the question anyway. It works rather well even if it wasn't totally original. I'd go with Mr.A being a cool design but an 'Unmoving metal mask" doesn't really work in a black and white comic book.
(and ditko refused to have it colored)

Do redesigns count? Alex Ross is responsible for a lot of cool looks that characters have had.

Attached: Kingdom%20Come%20full%20wraparound[1].jpg (1600x836, 443K)

He also came up with Batwoman's design.

Attached: Batwoman_(Kate_Kane)[1].png (250x374, 206K)

Rob Liefield

Todd McFarlane? Very few designs since the end of the 70s have really caught on. Spawn and Venom are two of the very best

Somehow these character designs are the best scooby art to this day, something about it is just super appealing and nice even with super detailed fanart that exists now.

Mike Mignola has some nice ones.

Attached: The Art of Hellboy-073.jpg (2699x3600, 1.3M)