Earth-Ni With Magic?

How could Earth and Mewni be Cleaved without destroying magic? What about bringing magic back after Cleaved?

Attached: C9E725E1-F797-493A-B073-28A259D451C4.jpg (735x477, 56K)

Heinous should have remained evil

Change my mind

Attached: dddjrb5-c22d38cc-4130-4776-ac4d-df43c77a5246.jpg (670x1192, 130K)

What if there was some magic stored away somewhere that was used to reignite the Realm of Magic?

Source?
Synopsis?

>Source
someone's shitty fanart
>Synopsis
some shitty fan fiction

This was the most poignant thing I have read about someone's perspective on the show. It didn't point fingers at writers, it didn't blame behind-the-scenes shenanigans or real-world politics. It's an absolutely fascinating way of looking at what happened, and how things went wrong.

Attached: journey of the self.png (888x585, 60K)

Definitely a good point in that post, though I think the one other thing that held seasons 3 and 4 back was because the villains for the post-Toffee arcs didn't present the same level of tension and relative power to the main characters that Toffee did. The biggest offender was probably the use of Mina as the antagonist of the final season: While it made sense from the perspective of the Mewman/Monster prejudice storyline it was difficult to take Mina seriously as a final threat within the narrative when she had, in all appearances prior to season 4, been set up as an entirely ineffectual joke character. It was very hard to take her seriously as a final threat when she was defeated offscreen by Meteora with no fanfare just one season prior.

Meteora suffered some similar problems in her story arc, with her having dropped to rock bottom after Star and Marco dispatched her in her first appearance and all of the episodes featuring her prior to the reveal of her as Eclipsa's daughter had treated her as a pathetic joke. It was a little bit less of a problem as she was never intended as a sort of final antagonist, with the audience expecting her to just be a placeholder before a bigger, meaner villain showed up in season 4.

Overall I don't hate seasons 3 and 4 - They at least still had a number of solid jokes and I actually did appreciate their attempts to give Tom some character development in overcoming his anger issues, but the storytelling definitely took a nosedive after Toffee was out of the picture as a recurring threat.

I've never been in love with this post as much as Yea Forums (not that I disagree; just that other complaints about the show stuck with me more), but reading over it again, it does really hit on why S4 especially was so frustrating to watch for someone who actually gives a fuck about Star the character.

For most of S4, Star's just a tool to help Eclipsa accomplish her goals. It feels like there's no real character arc or sense of purpose anymore. Maybe a sense of purposelessness could've been deliberate if they'd touched on it more, but it was only done like once (before Star returns to Earth) and feels more like the writers just addressing a specific point from the episode outline than something that's actually developed and built on.

It's not even like Eclipsa receives that development in place of Star (which also wouldn't have been good for the last season of STAR Vs., but still), as she remains completely static and never truly challenged, like ideologically/morally/as a character, and is consistently rewarded for that in-universe until the finale arc. The way things end for her, no magic or kingdom, indicates the actual intent of the storyline was for Star to realize no one deserves magic or the crown, but because of Eclipsa never being challenged, all of Star's frustration with the system is heaped on Moon and so the idea of Eclipsa being less than perfect in Star's eyes doesn't take.

So by the end, it's understandable that so many feel like destroying magic comes out of nowhere because of the lack of a real arc for Star. She just spends S4 as Eclipsa's devoted servant and then decides to destroy magic because she does. It's clear why she did going by the army attacking, but it's not really blended with any kind of character arc in a way that feels satisfying.

At the risk of sounding crazy, it started to really feel like the writers just didn't give a fuck about Star and her development and status as the main character by the end. And it sucks.

Attached: sad.jpg (500x281, 36K)

Super Science that is indistinguishable from magic
Solid Hologram Hekapoo

bumping

>How could Earth and Mewni be Cleaved without destroying magic?
Uh, with magic? The issue wasn't cleaving Earth and Mewni; it was stopping Mina and the Monster-Killing Squad from killing all the monsters. The cleaving was just a byproduct done with the last remaining magic.
>What about bringing magic back after Cleaved?
I have no idea HOW you'd go about that, honestly. Maybe try to find another portal to yet another source of magic and start using that instead. Although it would likely work differently than the magic that got killed anyway.

Also it should only be brought back after Eclipsa, Globgor, and Meteora are all dead/murdered, so they can't benefit from or enjoy it in any possible way.

Also fun fact: the former Realm of Magic was the afterlife of the dead queens. Once Eclipsa, Moon, Star, etc. all die, they will go literally nowhere or maybe to hell (the Underworld), as all the souls there drifted away into nothingness when the Realm was destroyed. God is dead.

I think OP meant more WHY the Cleaving would ha[[en without magic being destroyed.

Eh, then it probably wouldn't happen. No real reason to need it to when dimensional scissors are a thing.

>What about bringing magic back after Cleaved?
Janna snuck a unicorn to earth under her hat. Although it presumably would have died when magic was destroyed. There's a big problem if Nefcy ever tries to bring the series back in some way, in that she demonized the main point of interest about the show, the magic. If they made a sequel with Star she would have to be an ordinary girl. Let's say they did bring magic back, they would be forced to make it bad. I could imagine, let's say an evil billionaire politician wanting to bring back magic to re-separate the dimensions. Let's say he begrudgingly teams up with an evil monster who also wants the monsters and humans to be separate. I don't think this would be good but it's something I could imagine them trying.

Or you could just have the bad guys discover some other dark force which works like magic, you just call it something other than magic (what is and isn't considered magic seems pretty inconsistent anyhow, like demonic hellfire power is not magic somehow, spiritual beings powers are not magic, etc.). Then Star and friends are forced to resurrect magic to stop them. Maybe she could discover something to redeem magic. Like let's say a lost goddess, Glossaryck's sister or something, who would balance magic somehow so it could not be an instrument of oppression any more but a force for good which was it's original intention.

I like the idea of redeeming magic somehow because I hate how the series finale demonized it. It ruins the whole series in my eyes and almost makes me hate it.

A more realistic idea and a harder to fuck up one would be to just make it a slice of life show set years later in Echo Creek Academy starring Mariposa and Meteora. It would just be about monsters and humans learning to get along, and typical high school hijinks, as well as learning about the new world of Earth-ni.

Fucked up already by centering around Meteora, sorry

>A more realistic idea and a harder to fuck up one would be to just make it a slice of life show set years later in Echo Creek Academy starring Mariposa and Meteora.
That shit sounds boring as fuck compared to Star dealing with the outcome of her decisions.

I think what would have been more interesting is if Star had "fractured" the realm of magic so that it's evenly distributed throughout the various dimensions, causing everyone to have an equal amount of weak magic.

I just want to see how everyone is going to react to suddenly having monsters in their backyard over night. It's not going to be all sunshine and rainbows, I think that would make for an interesting season.

>That shit sounds boring as fuck compared to Star dealing with the outcome of her decisions.
That would require the people behind the show to admit they screwed up by letting Star destroy magic and framing it as a god thing. It will never happen.

*good thing

For what it's worth, Nefcy's position was that the ending wasn't meant to be an unambiguously good thing, just Star solving one immediate problem while creating more.

I think the general chaos of the cleaved dimension is meant to be the obvious hook that any sequel or continuation would build on.

Nefcy herself on the AMA said it's in the show and Star's character to solve a problem and open another elsewhere. There's nothing with the characters realizing that the new world wasn't all it cracked up to be.

This.

There's no way Earth and Mewni could merge, then?

They could; I just don't see the point of anyone doing so when scissors exist. Like Star and Marco dip down the same as they do in Cleaved to bring the dimensions together.

What could cause that?

They should have given another season to Wonder over Yonder instead. They had faith in their fucking stories.

I liked both series, and I agree that there should have been a third season.

Basically, the universe of Star vs. is now more broken and sequel-incompatible than the universe of Mass Effect after the ending of ME3.

Yeah.

Any other ideas for redeeming magic?