/jazz/

Jazz thread. I like listening to your recommendations and discussing jazz.

Attached: The_Bridge_Sonny_Rollins.jpg (316x316, 12.6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JnEQm8mVVZA
youtube.com/watch?v=mfwvZaf7jac&ab_channel=AntonyRosano
mega.nz/folder/o0YlUbqS#EMFxuXWUBevSR1HKJi60xQ
mega.nz/folder/kthRXBKD#gBm-SYq_Veo9BfpqeAIr-g
mega.nz/folder/V1Jl0RAK#4JoMqcDS3N9aVJ1rWOMHEA
youtube.com/watch?v=PzsWfWkaF_w
youtube.com/watch?v=EFeouD2IWSA
youtube.com/watch?v=8tTjN0ZNn2A&ab_channel=PatMartino-Topic
youtube.com/watch?v=A3Yzl08yyVw&ab_channel=mistermister668
youtube.com/watch?v=dOcELH0Yc4Y&ab_channel=LarryCarlton-Topic
youtube.com/watch?v=QvPlXQO9K1c
youtube.com/watch?v=qCnzCmJ6ScA
youtube.com/watch?v=OfShXIYTcmM
youtube.com/watch?v=e459eIkeuiQ
youtu.be/0kJJXqihboE
youtube.com/watch?v=QWzwgjupbO4
youtu.be/y43jgWvF8rU
youtube.com/watch?v=-qPQCohGoKw
youtube.com/watch?v=n4FpY5xUvoU
youtube.com/watch?v=HSYKAFQXGcc
youtube.com/watch?v=oN8xdl0VFxc
youtu.be/Nn5bSino5vo
youtu.be/HkVZeLGGKNk
youtube.com/watch?v=uxT7Coo09Uw
youtu.be/wpB6sCt_AVk
youtube.com/watch?v=BBRVGEfu-50&ab_channel=CharlyAntolini-Topic
youtu.be/KXkBhPh51l0
youtu.be/KmSQqtCZJ9s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1:18 is a good poopy solo and makes me lmao alot
youtu.be/JnEQm8mVVZA

The Mingus album I've heard, I would rank:
Oh Yeah
Black Saint and sinner lady
Ah um
Blues and roots
The clown

i really enjoy this song
youtube.com/watch?v=mfwvZaf7jac&ab_channel=AntonyRosano

I fucking love this album so much it's unreal

Yeah I think it's one of Herbie Hancock's best

Here are some of the albums I've been listening to recently:
Far Cry- Eric Dolphy with Booker Little: Nice to hear Eric Dolphy in a more relaxed album while still hearing the bass clarinet
Joe Henderson- Mode for Joe and Inner Urge: Both great albums, I like Mode for Joe slightly better due to the vibraphone.
Pete La Roca- Basra:
I don't think anyone can dislike this album. One of my favorite jazz albums for sure

What has everyone else been listening to?

Rashan Roland Kirk- Blacknuss
Was pretty good

Is it possible to enjoy the most complex Coltrane or Ornette Coleman pieces and stuff like Playboi Carti?

what's some good contemporary jazz? as in 00s onward. i can't think of very many. i like julian lage and chris potter well enough. that one swedish? band, koma saxo is pretty good. most of what i can remember hearing just sounds like MFA writers in audial form, cookie cutter and soulless

is this bait? how old are you?

No. I'm 35

interesting. my answer is a question: why would it not be? they offer completely different things

I like both ascension and playboi cartis self titled so yes

I liked Esbjörn Svennson Trio- Live in Hamburg
It’s pretty much the only contemporary jazz I heard but I liked it a lot. It’s a drum, bass, and piano trio

Absolutely. Sometimes you just wanna listen to simpler stuff in the moment.

The shape of jazz to come is accessible

bump, gonna upload some new releases

Myra Melford's Fire And Water Quintet - For The Love Of Fire And Water (2022)
mega.nz/folder/o0YlUbqS#EMFxuXWUBevSR1HKJi60xQ

Attached: fire-water-quintet-for-the-love-of-fire-and-wa.jpg (800x800, 74.63K)

Ivo Perelman - (d)ivo Saxophone Quartet (2022)
mega.nz/folder/kthRXBKD#gBm-SYq_Veo9BfpqeAIr-g

Attached: a3322055390_10.jpg (1200x1200, 223.45K)

and one I uploaded a bit ago but forgot to post
Daniel Toledo - Elapse (2014)
mega.nz/folder/V1Jl0RAK#4JoMqcDS3N9aVJ1rWOMHEA

Attached: a4091002583_16.jpg (700x700, 52.25K)

Pure joy.

Attached: 713E2+ofKlL._SL1400_.jpg (1400x1400, 189.47K)

yeah i've heard of that guy; i think i added an album of theirs to my jazz playlist. never stood out to me but maybe i didn't give it enough of a chance
oo i haven't heard this one, gonna check it out. thanks

Is there any jazz/blues that are somewhat similar to this song? I don't really know Jazz or Blues artist or songs though I do enjoy it when I listen to it and was hoping there might be artist or styles of Jazz that this song is inspired by, that or to be told that this is just Japan aiming for what they think is Jazz/Blues but being off the mark. The link is Blues of the Velvet Room from Persona 3 in case you didn't want to click on the link for whatever reason

youtube.com/watch?v=PzsWfWkaF_w

I've been revisiting Hiromi's projects as of late. She's got so much great music, I just need to sit down and listen to all of it one day.
youtube.com/watch?v=EFeouD2IWSA

Attached: hiromi1.jpg (1495x1081, 76.14K)

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know this existed and am currently listening to it. It Ain't Necessarily So is great.

it's sort of a vidya-fied version of blues and smooth/cool jazz? little bit of something like larry carlton, too
try these out:
pat martino
youtube.com/watch?v=8tTjN0ZNn2A&ab_channel=PatMartino-Topic
wes montgomery (this is a really good album, just skip around, you'll probably find something you like)
youtube.com/watch?v=A3Yzl08yyVw&ab_channel=mistermister668
larry carlton
youtube.com/watch?v=dOcELH0Yc4Y&ab_channel=LarryCarlton-Topic

obviously there's more but i'm blanking on them currently

Thanks I appreciate the recommendations and I'll listen to these and see where that takes me

Herbie's Mwandishi band is one of the best of all time. Check out Eddie Henderson's Realization along with Hancock's Crossings and Mwandishi - it's mostly the same band

youtube.com/watch?v=QvPlXQO9K1c

Attached: henderson-realization.jpg (1000x1000, 209.83K)

there's a generation or two of European piano trios now with a clear Esbjörn Svensson influence, so you should be able to find a lot more

just throwing out my man Aki Rissanen out here
youtube.com/watch?v=qCnzCmJ6ScA

Attached: aki-rissanen-art-in-motion.jpg (1500x1500, 1.5M)

Jazz threads are one of the only good things about Yea Forums now.

Attached: 1648082939489.gif (350x240, 2M)

it's Friday, my dudes. what is out today?

at least new Tord Gustavsen on ECM
feels ECM, man

Attached: tord-gustavsen-opening.jpg (640x640, 60.43K)

sounds like a low quality backing track to practice soloing desu

here's some nice and fluid and entertaining piano trio + guitar jazz that I like - maybe you'll find it similar enough?

youtube.com/watch?v=OfShXIYTcmM
youtube.com/watch?v=e459eIkeuiQ

Attached: hello-herbie.jpg (599x590, 105.48K)

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll add those to my list I'll let you know how I feel after the other 3 this user recommended to me

had no idea about eddie. really liking realization. gonna look into those other hancock albums too. thanks for the recs
i've still got a bluesy guitarist on the tip of my tongue that sounds similar to that persona track. i'll post a link if it ever comes to me

Inside Out, Sunburst and Heritage are other great Henderson albums from the 70's, Realization is the one that sounds most like Sextant, though

Julian Priester's Love Love and Bennie Maupin's The Jewel In the Lotus are other similar albums from that gang if you want to go deeper in to the rabbit hole

Thinking of starting on Ornette Coleman. What albums of his should I check out?
He has a pretty big discography so I'm debating if I should just listen to the highlights or listen to all of it. I've already heard The Shape of Jazz to Come.

and check out Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life

it has a pretty heavy flavor of Hubbard trying to make music a little like Miles' Bitches Brew with mostly musicians Miles had ditched before making Bitches Brew, but it's a pretty great early fusion album with a little bit of the murky and exciting flavor Sextant has even if not that out there

Attached: hubbard-straight-life.jpg (600x600, 92.68K)

maybe you're thinking of Emily Remler?

Free Jazz sounds nothing like shape of jazz to come. It's very similar to ascension by Coltrane. I've heard that Change of the Century is essentially shape of jazz to come part 2 although I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. That may be a good place to start.

why is everyone seemingly getting on the Ornette train now? I've noticed a lot of my jazz listening friends who didn't care for Ornette before touting his horn this year. Is it just all the high-profile reissues?

the early albums are pretty similar to The Shape of Jazz to Come, so you'll just find more music like that there. I think Something Else is pretty cool to listen to since the backing is more conventional so you get a better introduction into what Ornette was bringing to the table.

I think Free Jazz is overrated, so you can even skip it.

Science Fiction is an essential album so you should definitely check that one out

Dancing in your Head is a pretty good album to see if you like the electric Prime Time period at all. I think Of Human Feelings is the best Prime Time album, so if Dancing in your Head sounds good at all, check that one out.

I think Ornette is pretty divisive in many ways - some don't enjoy any of his music and many like only some of it (the early acoustic quartet being the most popular flavor), so I think it's a good strategy to sample some albums and dig into what period you like

Attached: of-human-feelings.jpg (500x500, 41.29K)

i thoroughly enjoy science fiction. particularly the songs what reason could i give and is it forever. incredibly beautiful harmonies in there
yeahhh i know about that maupin album. good stuff. haven't heard of priester before, but love love's going in the backlog
i'm not, but she's good. the one i'm thinking of is more bluesy, like a mix of santana bb king and larry coryell or something.

what are some great jazz albums you would never think are good based on the cover art?

this one is great and looks like shit

Attached: pullen-breakthrough.jpg (600x588, 106.42K)

Fusion Freddie beats fusion Miles, change my mind.
Larry Carlton?

The totality of modern jazz. Steeplechase and Criss Cross can't make a decent album cover to save their lives.

true

Criss Cross gets enough cover commentary around these parts, but Steeplechase has even worse covers these days and some great albums

since there's been some Ornette in the thread today, here's a good one featuring just Ornette and Don Cherry compositions

Attached: cherryco.jpg (458x458, 52.92K)

reject aesthetic blue note covers, embrace whatever these photoshoots are called.

Attached: cat.png (225x225, 90.14K)

Why did Penguin Guide on wikipedia only give him one star? Lel

The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide you mean

that's a pretty brutal review for a completely fine Hubbard fusion album, now I'm curious what they wrote about it

y’all dig
>jazzlantis
right?
youtu.be/0kJJXqihboE

Attached: F712E4BE-C2A3-4048-97C8-F90F5753C80D.jpg (416x402, 127.69K)

there was a new Iiro Rantala solo live album out a few weeks ago

youtube.com/watch?v=QWzwgjupbO4

Attached: rantala-potsdam.jpg (320x288, 8.57K)

>me entering this thread, hoping to find songs to sample

Attached: mcmahoncomes.gif (270x252, 966.7K)

that’s a very funny album cover
youtu.be/y43jgWvF8rU
i guess this album was kind of a big deal

Attached: 7FF90958-F03D-4451-A067-5833BDAB6EA3.jpg (455x372, 75.97K)

The Star of a Story is one of my favorite "jazz version of pop song" tracks

youtube.com/watch?v=-qPQCohGoKw

George Benson also recorded a version that he sings himself that's kind of a worse smooth jazz-y version of the Heatwave original

youtube.com/watch?v=n4FpY5xUvoU

Attached: benson-give-me-the-night.jpg (400x400, 43.02K)

this reminded me that Iyer's trio also did a good version of Julius Hemphill's Dogon A.D. on Historicity

youtube.com/watch?v=HSYKAFQXGcc

which reminded me of the Broken Shadows album (Tim Berne, Chris Speed, Reid Anderson, Dave King) where they also did that one

youtube.com/watch?v=oN8xdl0VFxc

for anyone getting into Ornette Coleman, that's a great recent album with music very much in the Ornette tradition.

Attached: broken-shadows.jpg (572x514, 146.46K)

wew that cover. love it. and the track. good shit
i actually did link a carlton song for that user, but i couldn't find a track that fit the style i'm hearing in my head. it has to be him, i just can't find which period. or if not carlton then a peer of his

FINNISH
NU
JAZZ
youtu.be/Nn5bSino5vo

this will be big for some of you
youtu.be/HkVZeLGGKNk

Attached: 7FA4B319-0EB8-4122-BDEA-4258A17E0910.jpg (750x750, 555.39K)

Ricky Tick Records will be releasing a new album later this year after an 11 year hiatus btw (follow up to Kerkko Koskinen's Agatha album with UMO Helsinki Jazz Orchestra tentatively titled Agatha 2 with Linda Fredriksson as the featured soloist)

Jukka Eskola's Walkover is maybe my favorite Ricky Tick release although the Five Corners Quintet and early Timo Lassy albums are also local classics

youtube.com/watch?v=uxT7Coo09Uw

Attached: walkover.jpg (600x600, 40.57K)

youtu.be/wpB6sCt_AVk
deepish bill cuts
so funny i liked this when i first started now i really don’t haha!!

Attached: 55188CC6-1DA2-4788-B176-892D3FD8A320.jpg (442x422, 206.8K)

youtube.com/watch?v=BBRVGEfu-50&ab_channel=CharlyAntolini-Topic

this is an overall from like 5-10 years ago when i first started transitioning from
mucore to jazz
all of these albums are great entry level
jazz

Attached: 89CCB984-AC0B-4394-8F51-36108DEA7B65.jpg (750x746, 646.4K)

brubeck a la mode so fucking good
youtu.be/KXkBhPh51l0

did you know miles davis and jack denohnette loved breakbeat
youtu.be/KmSQqtCZJ9s

when you see a naked lady on the cover you know it's gonna b gud