Morrison vs Moore

Who's the better writer

Attached: morrison-v-moore-1.jpg (320x196, 23K)

Morrison. Moore is hit or miss.

Morrison has never written anything half as intricate as Promethea #12

I'm a big morrisonfag but I'd have to go with moore

Moore, easily. Morrison relies way too much on meta commentary with his stories while Moore's best works are pretty different from each other.

True, but Moore has come out and actively said he's made comics that damaged the industry, like Watchmen.

Moore's worst is better than anything Morrison's ever done

Eh, that's less on Moore and more in dumbass editors and creators who thought edge = good and missed everything else about Watchmen and the like.

Of course Moore has some duds, and Morrison has some really amazing stuff I love, but generally I think Moore is the better at the craft

Morrison writes for drug addicts

Moore. Not generally, not overall, but by a lot.
Morrison is mostly miss. I love his hits, though.

Moore at his best>Morrison>Moore any other day
Most of Moore's stuff just descends into rape and edge, it gets old.

even this?

Attached: Spawn_37.jpg (420x642, 58K)

People say this but Watchmen was bloated and has serious structural issues.

I've never read a single thing of Morrison's I didn't hate. But I guess it speaks to the 110 IQ.

even Voodoo

Enough with the Morrison meme it's not funny anymore

Morrison is certainly better at keeping himself looking presentable.
I'm reading V for Vendetta for the first time though, which is fantastic.
I admittedly haven't read much by Morrison outside of All-Star Superman. Most of his other works I've read have been this big meta-aware wanking, which gets really old.
So Moore.

What did you hate about All-Star Superman? I've heard it heralded as the best Superman story.

>Morrison has never written anything half as intricate as Promethea #12
I'm surprised you'd go with Promethea of all things. That's Moore at his most excessively self-conscious and over-reliant on text. He basically just talks at you through a comic with some occasional somewhat decent psychedelic art mixed in.
Anyway, RE: The thread topic, I like Morrison a lot more, but I think Moore is technically better at writing. Moore is like a virtuoso guitarist or that autistic sushi chef old guy with the documentary (Jiro Dreams of Sushi I think). And I don't enjoy listening to virtuoso guitarists all that much. I can put on some Steve Vai and think to myself "yeah, he's ridiculously good at what he does," but that's not the same thing as listening to music you actually enjoy.
Morrison's more like Boards of Canada. They don't do anything technically amazing, but the atmosphere and ideas they build up and explore are a lot more interesting and enjoyable to me.
For Moore my favorite's From Hell. I really like the concept of these boundaries for reality where some out of the ordinary and extreme behavior like serial killing and ritualistic mutilation could push you into this altered state / switched over channel of being where you can see mundane reality as you knew it like one big shape you stepped outside of (something that's in Promethea too for a bit when the world starts to "end").
For Morrison my favorites The Filth. Morrison's usually kind of loose and rambling in his approach, so I like it on the rare occasions when he's operating super-tight instead, and this is probably Morrison at maximum in this respect. 13 issues and each one is used to its fullest with no wasted detours. Everything's connected, pacing's perfect, and you get this great photographic negative of The Invisibles where it's the equal and opposite trippy dystopia or garbagemen-police in the cracks of microscopic inner space.

Attached: FromHell.png (2250x3000, 3.22M)

Prometha #12 specifically, an issue that has like six strands of narrative happening simultaneously on every page then loops around itself to create an infinite cycle. Morrison has never taken advantage of the medium like that. The most he ever does is basically Watchmen tier, while Moore did always try to push forward from there

The impact of Watchmen on 90s edgelord comics is vastly overrated, including by Moore himself. Shit had been getting progressively edgy for years and a lot of that shit can be blamed much, much more on Frank Miller than anyone, all though no single book or author can take full responsibility. Even if it were true a lot of idiots taking the wrong lessons from the book doesn't change the fact that's it's a masterfully well done story.
This are the two most insane criticism I've ever seen of Watchmen. What's bloated about this story and what could be wrong with the structure?

>This are the two most insane criticism I've ever seen of Watchmen.
I'll second this. Watchmen is maybe THE definition of efficient comic writing. It isn't bloated in the least. Everything in Watchmen is doing something, much like the watch parts analogy it makes use of throughout itself.

>Morrison has never taken advantage of the medium like that.
Pax Americana is that, which makes sense, as it's a pastiche of Moore's works.

I liked PA a lot, but it's still a really far cry from what Moore did after Watchmen. I think a lot of people, including Morrison, got stuck in thinking Watchmen was the end-all and failed to look further

Attached: Tomorrow_Stories_02_tomorrow_stories_02_p01_greyshirt.jpg (983x1570, 400K)