The Steven Universe movie made me feel like I didn't understand the show

The Steven Universe movie made me feel like I didn't understand the show.

>I can't believe mom did that to you.
>Actually, I can totally believe it.
Fucking what? This is the first genuinely evil thing Rose did. I was stunned. Everything else can be explained by her trying to balance her desire to see the human race survive and her love for her sisters. There was absolutely no reason to do what she did to Spinel. Why was Steven not surprised?

Was there something in the series I missed?

Attached: steven knows something i dont.png (1229x715, 764K)

This is easily the worst thing but it's also before she had any character development and was just a pure selfish brat.

Other pretty evil acts:
>hid bismuth and faked her shattering to bury the breaking point
>forced pearl to A. fake her shattering against her will and B. swear her to silence
>started a fake rebellion instead of using her standing to liberate earth
>didn't give up the charade even after thousands of gems were shattered
>used human soldiers as shock troopers in a gem conflict (implied but never outright stated)
>treated humans like fascinating playthings for 6000 years before meeting Greg
>Allowed an entire make of innocent gems under her care to be bubbled for her crimes

So her sisters wouldn't be killed, yeah.
>forced pearl to A. fake her shattering against her will and B. swear her to silence
That's a good point, actually. I thought she did that because she thought it was the only way to save Earth, but you're right that that isn't a good enough explanation.

The problem with SU is that Steven himself morphed into an uncharismatic plot device that does absolutely nothing but act as a walking shoulder to cry on.

>The Steven Universe movie made me feel like I didn't understand the show.
>
>>I can't believe mom did that to you.
>>Actually, I can totally believe it.
>Fucking what? This is the first genuinely evil thing Rose did. I was stunned. Everything else can be explained by her trying to balance her desire to see the human race survive and her love for her sisters. There was absolutely no reason to do what she did to Spinel. Why was Steven not surprised?
>
>Was there something in the series I missed?
Is not your fault. The show's writers suck.

Not really, it does take time for him to reach that point. It's not like it happens instantly.

She didn't even bother to unbubble Bismuth after the war ended. She just panicked and poofed Bismuth, then went "oh shit what do I do?" and stashed the bubble away for all eternity.

>Bailed on Homeworld for earth.
>Bailed on Pearl for Greg.
>Bailed on existing for Steven.
What part of her bailing on Spinel is surprising exactly?

I'm fine with all that, the question I want to ask is;
Where the fuck did spinels fucking combat training come from? A stretchy toy spends 6000 years with a stick up her arse and she bodies all the crystal gems in 15 seconds? Inb4 'they're out of practise' SHE HAS NO EXPERIENCE WE'RE AWARE OF.
More than that where the fuck did she get a gem extractor designed specifically to just kill a planet, not even turning the resources to gems? There's no fucking point to the design of it. Why is Spinel the specific key to turning it on and off? Why can't the two gems built for engineering figure out a piece of their own tech? Where the fuck did Spinel get a factory reset button? I KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS BUT NOBODY ANSWERS ME

Attached: 1463679199328.jpg (1110x684, 297K)

I mean, she basically started a war and killed countless humans and gems so she could play out her equivalent of a teenage rebel phase. She could've ended the war at any point and didn't.

Or freed Bismuth, or retrieved Spinel, or whatever. Instead she just hung around with a bunch of people who were so reliant on her that they could barely function in her absence, and then killed herself for shits and giggles.

16-year-old Steven seems more at terms with the fact his mother was a terrible person.

Attached: depression.png (681x383, 206K)

As says, Steven's mom is a terrible person. Are you really surprized she has weapons of mass destruction laying around?

>Allowed an entire make of innocent gems under her care to be bubbled for her crimes
How cool would be if the villain for the next season is a Rose Quartz? A villain that actually looks like Steven mom would surely fuck him mentally.

Presumably she just stole a newer injector and simply put poison in it instead of diamond juice.

>She could've ended the war at any point and didn't
that was why many didn't think that plot twist could work, you be making Rose space Hitler where a war and endless death is happening for completely selfish gains.

>so she could play out her equivalent of a teenage rebel phase.
To save the earth and its inhabitants from being destroyed.

>She could've ended the war at any point and didn't.
How? She clearly couldn't, we explicitly see her sisters not listening to her desires. If she ended the war, the earth was fucked.

>does absolutely nothing but act as a walking shoulder to cry on
Isn't that exactly what girls want from a man?

It was before Pink Diamond had ever even stepped foot on Earth

We've seen what Pink was like before she met humanity. Basically early season 1 Steven before all of his character development, an annoying kid who wanted to be taken seriously

She didn't think Gems were capable of change. So Spinel who was even more annoying would mess up her first colony

I mean....sometimes, but not always

nah that's what they want out of a domesticated animal or friend.

>why was steven not surprised
same reason we aren't. pink diamond was on some bullshit who ran away from her problems

Is this movie even canon? Didn't sugar not have anything to do with this?

>First genuinely evil thing
She incited a war user and lead both fucking sides

Serious question, What was the alternative for Pink? Bring Spinel into the war with her and probably get shattered or corrupted with the thousands of other gems that fought for Earth?

>literally directed by sugar

you're some weirdo that can't read?

is this text to speech?
nick gur?

She didn't need to overpower them. She just needed to quickly touch them with the rejuvenator scythe. She gets beaten pretty quickly during that first fight with Steven scything her too, so it's not like she was demonstrating extreme fighting skills. She's fast and erratic.

Plus once the Crystal Gems all recovered their memories they adapted to her fighting style and just completely bodied her

I just figured she ate the scythe hit from Steven on purpose.

You sound like a sociopath who can't into feelings.

It's set between S5 and S6 so yeah it's canon

extremely kino

I thought she got hit on purpose so she wouldn't have to remember the pain of PD abandoning her, along with the self loathing from believing her, and a whole 'nother cornucopia of negative emotions
A pseudo murder-suicide.

She gets pretty upset at the mere possibility Steven was going to use the scythe on her later on, so I don't think she particularly wanted to be scythed. She was just crazy and lashing out without caring much about her own well being the first time around.

I interpreted that as a fear of being used THEN being reset to factory settings, because she seemed pretty happy when she first got whacked.
Though yours suits her quite well, also.

To protect the Diamonds AND to preserve Bismuth's legacy among the Crystal Gems.

Because they were losing the war. The war to protect Earth and give gems a chance at freedom.

She tried, they wouldn't listen to her.

>didn't give up the charade even after thousands of gems were shattered
That's called "being in too deep".

>used human soldiers as shock troopers in a gem conflict (implied but never outright stated)
So why are you counting this? It's not canon.

>treated humans like fascinating playthings for 6000 years before meeting Greg
At most the worst thing she did was hump them and dump them.

What the FUCK was she supposed to do about gems stuck on Homeworld?

That was more in a "used and discarded" sense once they stopped the doomsday weapon. The first time was more "good luck trying to stop my plot now faggot!" since only she had the means of stopping it

SHes also a huuuuuuge slut

Gems, by and large, aren't capable of change. Or at least not change that occurs on a human timescale.

>using her standing to liberate earth
And then Pink gets put in the corner and earth gets cored out, because her standing is their dumb kid sister.

>Bailed on Homeworld for earth.
To save the humans she had grown to love.
>Bailed on Pearl for Greg.
No. Pearl was only ever her servant.
>Bailed on existing for Steven.
Because life is beautiful.

>She could've ended the war at any point and didn't.
What do you mean? I thought the war only ended when the Diamonds thought they had killed all the gems.

>Or freed Bismuth
If she freed Bismuth, then Bismuth would've tried to kill the diamonds again. That's even exactly what happened when Steven freed her.

>I dont get it, the show doesnt make sense, this character did nothing wrong!
>she did these terrible things and ruined the lives of all these characters while lying to them
>no those were all good!
Why?

The was running purely on the power of being fucking pissed

Can Bismuth fix the Galaxy Warps? Or the Gem Warships?

Because after the war the Crystal Gems were cut off from the rest of the Galaxy and trapped on Earth, Bismuth would have had no way to attack the Diamonds

And she would have had a couple thousand years to cool off before Peridot and Jasper showed up

Pink Diamond/Rose Quartz could have really benefited from talk no jitsu huh

>Can Bismuth fix the Galaxy Warps? Or the Gem Warships?
Pretty sure that was her whole job

She can construct buildings and create weapons

But the Galaxy Warp is a very specific type of Crystal that afaik isn't available on Earth, and fixing it requires the goop from Peridot's robonoids

Maybe Bismuth could have stolen some of Rose's tears from her fountain and fixed the Galaxy Warp so she could go on a suicide mission to kill the Diamonds

>She tried, they wouldn't listen to her
Maybe she should have stopped asking her sisters to do things for her and just done them herself? She doesn't want to colonize Earth? Then she should stop fucking colonizing earth and move her shit to an uninhabited planet. No permission from the other diamonds required. It's her colony. She can run it however she wants it.

How the hell are her sisters supposed to treat her like an equal if she refuses to act like she is? You really think Blue asks Yellow for permission before doing whatever with her colonies? You think Yellow would take shit from Blue if she started lecturing Yellow on how to run her colonies? Hell, so long as Pink didn't sperg out about it like in Jungle Moon Yellow would probably be really proud of her for actually taking charge and acting like a leader for once.

If Pink had bothered to take her position seriously and actually be responsible instead of falling back on a victim complex as an excuse to abandon things she'd gotten bored of, this all could have easily been avoided.

>That's called "being in too deep"
Bullshit. Steven's efforts prove that if she'd bothered to do pic related at any point before the series then she could have easily arranged for all those things to be fixed. Lying about the problem for several millennia only pointlessly prolonged everyone's suffering so that Pink diamond could continue to larp as a savior and run away from the mess she needed to clean up.

And then she ran away from it again and dumped all this shit onto Steven. What a brat.

Attached: 42819hrs.gif (498x233, 559K)

The only reason the Diamonds were receptive to Steven's demands and changes was because they had spent 6000 years mourning Pink

They met her son and realized that she could never come back, so after nearly repeating their mistakes with Pink with him, they realized that they needed to change or risk losing their last connection to Pink forever

No, they were receptive to Steven for the same reasons that Blue and Yellow are receptive towards one another. He was straightforward and steadfast and his demands, and acted like a leader. Pink's tactics, on the other hand, was to change her mind on a whim and to either throw a childish tantrum or act completely two-faced when she didn't get what she wanted.

While the diamonds might not have understood her choices, if she had been calm and resolute in her decisions they would have listened. In Jungle Moon Yellow makes it pretty clear that her frustrations with pink were rooted in Pink demanding respect while not behaving in a way that was deserving of it, and the Trial makes it clear that Blue could be reasoned with even before she knew that Steven was Pink.

They DID listen to her desires and honor her every request. She just didn't have the balls to admit she wanted to withdraw from Earth. Instead, she tried making excuses like "I've grown attached to the humans and don't really want to wipe them out" and "oops, a rebellious Rose Quartz keeps destroying our stuff, guess we gotta withdraw". She just didn't know what to do with the Diamonds had solutions for both excuses, while the Diamonds didn't realize it was the planet itself that she was attached to. Especially given what we know about the diamonds, they'd have probably just let her keep the planet as a play area if she had asked.

When they freed Bismuth, the Crystal Gems immediately gave a sob story that made it sound like Homeworld had spent the last 6000 years harassing them nonstop. If they had just been honest and said "no, Homeworld thinks we're dead, so they've been leaving us alone for the most part. Once in a while we have to deal with a scout or some leftover shit the diamonds caused, but it's been pretty peaceful otherwise", Bismuth probably wouldn't have decided the Diamonds need to die.

>they'd have probably just let her keep the planet as a play area if she had asked
This. Even when the diamonds didn't respect her, they were always caving in to Pink's demands and indulging her eccentricities. If she'd actually properly communicated with the others then, at worst, their reactions would have been exasperated due to her throwing a fit about wanting a colony that she clearly wasn't responsible enough to handle, before letting her do whatever the hell she wanted with the little backwater planet.

Rose was a terrible person. To put it simply for women like yourself who can't see past your own in-group dinduism, she started off being portrayed like a mysterious guy who seems pretty cool but then you find out he has a basement full of mutilated animal carcasses.

Rose's negligence, incompetence, selfishness, cowardice, whimsy and laundry list of mistakes were as expansive as her lifespan, and obviously that leads to her racking up a massive karmic debt. We just didn't know about it until later in the series.

Likewise, each of the diamonds probably has a record just as bad if not worse. But by virtue of being alive they can change for the better. Rose can't because she's lying dormant within Steven's gem. Instead, Steven is forced to do all of Rose's repentance and growth for her, all without even knowing the full extent of her guilt. It explains why Steven always gets blindsided by crises Rose herself would be able to avert, and only further tarnished her character every time she's NOT the one making up for her own mistakes.

Steven's very existence is the culmination of her sins, the ultimate cop out that can't be undone without killing Steven in the process. He's literally her human shield ftom personal responsibility, which is one of many reasobs she always gets memed as an absolute villain.

tldr Rose was a legit garbage person

Does Sugar have mommy issyes? She sanctifies Greg and Demonizes Rose way too much

Liberated women wind up behaving like Pink and fathers are usually a good influence on children. Whatever place this is coming from, it's not wrong.

>Especially given what we know about the diamonds, they'd have probably just let her keep the planet as a play area if she had asked.

This is what gets me about all the people that keep saying that Pink was a victim of abuse. She fucking wasn't. Getting sent to your room as punishment for acting like a little shit isn't abuse in any way, shape, or form.

The other Diamonds are shown to put up with SO much of Pink's bullshit. They try to discipline her, nothing sticks, so they give up and just kowtow to her demands until she crosses another line. Pink was a petulant little turn until the day she died. Making Steven was probably the only good thing she ever did and she even fucked that up by shitting all her problems onto him.

Isn't every single Pink diamond thing explained away by her being a spoiled child that never thinks ahead and acts on a whim at all times?

She fixed the ships with Peridot and Lapis in CYM.

Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

Peridot is a genius engineer who built the Gem Drill out of spare parts

Pretty much this, she could have done many things but she tried ways of manipulating others to get out of any 'blame' for her actions rather than being direct about changing her mind/etc.
Worse thing is, a lot of the time she didn't even choose a good excuse so she looked pretty bad anyway. "Oh, I can't control my colony, better stop trying to colonise."/etc/etc

>next season

pink a thot