One takes a beloved adversary of Batman into having a forefront starring role on the big screen where they have their...

One takes a beloved adversary of Batman into having a forefront starring role on the big screen where they have their backstory completely altered completely, a costume that barely makes them recognizable to those expecting something akin to the source material, with an entirely new original citizen name and is essentially only a DC movie in name only.
The other won numerous Golden Raspberry Awards

Attached: in name only.jpg (516x383, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ
screenrant.com/joker-movie-no-comic-book-inspiration/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So theres no crime/killing or Batman in Joker?

The Joker at least has Bruce and the Wayne’s (and Alfred) and takes place in Gotham. It is pretty much an Elseworld.

Catwoman has almost nothing to do with it’s source and hardly any DC references.

you can literally rename the city and the Waynes and it'd be the same movie

Bruce is like 8 when this movie happens. The idea of The Joker popping up BEFORE Batman is fucking retarded. Furthermore, I'm getting pretty tired of the elseworld defense.

You are so mad, lma

Attached: 1555127311698.png (740x367, 184K)

Its a good movie
But its not a real DC movie

>I'm getting pretty tired of the elseworld defense.
Literally every superhero movie is an elseworld.
Cyclops is killed by Jean. Joker killed Batman’s parents. The Mandarin is a white guy angry at Tony Stark. Peter Parker only got superpowers because of his DNA and his scientist father. The Mask dances with cops instead of shooting them.

Welcome to the modern century.

*mic drop*

So?

I just get tired of people saying "Its an elseworlds! God!" like it's some sort of magic defense against criticism towards questionable creative decisions. That's all

Alright, fine. It's an adaptation and adaptations frequently, by which I really mean almost always, take liberties with the source material for a variety of reasons. In the case of comic books, it's because the source material is extensive, convoluted, and often terrible. And as an adaptation it can be measured on two metrics, faithfulness in adaptation and quality as a work on its own. It can be a good film and a terrible adaptation, as much as it can be a bad film and faithful adaptation.

Say what you want about Joker, it will not have a scene worse than this.
youtube.com/watch?v=rNlmRId2FVQ
I don't think there is ANY movie scene that's worse than this.

To be fair OP unlike Catwoman the joker doesn't have the most definitive backstory except in things like the Killing Joke. Also This new Joker movie has the advantage that they're probably not gonna force Joaquin Phoenix to sniff catnip or act like a retarded cat.

So this is going to be the coping marveldrones wil use when this movie wins an Oscar? Kek

So will Phoenix Joker be synergied into the comic?

You know how people say Joker looks like a massive shitpost judging by the still images?
Catwoman is a shitpost all the way through
I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the new meme

They didn't do it with Nolan's Batman, and Batman wasn't even the big seller that he's now. At most they'll put out an adaptation comic, like Azzarello's Joker.

>joker is a dc movie only in name

Attached: A9B0B7F6-8ED6-40BC-AE91-18C6EFF6D7F3.jpg (645x729, 57K)

It’s truly pathetic lol

He literally admits it
>“We didn’t follow anything from the comic-books, which people are gonna be mad about. We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man.”
screenrant.com/joker-movie-no-comic-book-inspiration/

Its like Catwoman

>Joker killed Batman’s parents.
Even as a kid I thought that change was fucking stupid. Later did I find out it was a scam so Jon Peters could get money from Jack Napier figures.

Attached: jon_peters-300x300.jpg (300x300, 16K)

At most Arthur Fleck will become another one of his aliases

At least Catwoman didn't play at film festivals and didn't have idiots acting like it was some new arthouse film take on comics. People knew that was trash from the get go.

Luthor movie when?

Except it turns out the director was bullshitting and the movie does take several cues from various Batman comics for plot straight down to the Joker being an unreliable narrator.

>If the same Catwoman movie were a 2019 movie, it would be fresh thanks to the black female lead.

You know it's true.

Suicide Squad has extremely "diverse" and it still tanked critically.

>The Mandarin is a white guy angry at Tony Stark.
I keep saying this but I swear that the dragon tattoos and fire breath were supposed to make him a Fin Fang Foom parallel in stead.
He's the dragon that gave The Mandarin his 10 Rings- which in this version is the terrorist organization in stead of the literal magic rings.
I insist that Iron Man 3 is at least unique in the way it uses the source material.

Attached: Aldrich_Killian_(Earth-199999)_from_Iron_Man_3_(film)_006.jpg (511x773, 31K)

I have a feeling there is going to be a significant disconnect between the critics and audience for the new Joker movie

Every single review I've read seems to say the poltics is good which probably means its heavy handed as fuck

>unironically watching non-animated DC movies

>Fin Fang Foom parallel in stead.
wow I completely forgot about his dragon tattoos

I still think Iron Man 3 is a decent movie, much much better than 2

woah....it's almost as if movies have qualities beyond "WAAAAH IT NEEDS TO BE ACCURATE TO MUH COMIC"

The SJW market does not actually exist.
Most people are entirely indifferent to the presence or absence of mulattoes in movies.
Hollywood does however- believe that it exists and tries to get brownie points from twitter hashtags.
But the bulk of moviegoers are not even aware of the conversation around the casting and race swapping of comic characters.
He needed to breathe like 100x more fire.
Like it needed to have an energy beam fight with Iron Man at the end.
The end kinda sucks because it's just a bunch of toy iron mans being shredded like paper-mache. But if it was just the one busted suit fighting a more powerful kung-fu lava man that would have been cool.
If Don Cheadle was massively outgunned by the soldiers while he rescues Pepper that woulda been fun.

Attached: 35e7382f6abe25d41b255e40ed3e5aa4.jpg (519x810, 48K)

This, desu.

Also like both of the mcu Spider-man movies.

Isn't the point of Joker that we don't know his origin story?

There's literally no difference

Attached: DC.jpg (827x553, 162K)

>even the YouTube comments are universally shitting on it

at least I can still tell its Spider-Man design wise

what comics?

yes hes supposed to be a mystery the "worlds greatest detective" cannot solve, yet writers keep giving him a fucking backstory cause everything has to have a fucking backstory

I mean, that didn't used to be the case. He used to be a criminal called the Red Hood who fell into a pool of chemicals and had his face permanently twisted to look like a clown's.

Where did that Three Jokers shit end up?

But the Joker was already an established villain in 1940, and Batman was created in 1939. Its entirely plausible he was around for years before Bruce ever put on a cape

>*mic drop*
What the fuck. Go back 2014 Facebook you normie cunt

>*mic drop*
ITT we pretend it's 2009

Attached: 1305250655664.jpg (421x409, 143K)

>I'm going to write the definitive version of "man becomes evil clown"!
Comic writers are hacks
There isn't really a breeding ground for talented writers anymore is there?

>*mic drop*

Attached: 1527651631108.png (250x190, 123K)

People don't want to believe that because of this meme that Batman created all this madness and all the crazy villains out there are because of him.

Right along with the plot where Funnier ripped his own face off

Wait until the final scene. Joker has the best elseworlds defense

>normie
Not him. Fuck off back to retarddit

Attached: 1567145801916.jpg (564x376, 56K)

??

Attached: pobrane.jpg (458x700, 51K)

What could possibly be such a "questionable" creative decision about this though, when in the Killing Joke Joker himself says that if he has a backstory he prefers it to be multiple choice? This is just one version of the origin of the Joker by one creative team, and though it excises the chemical vat, so did Nolan's TDK. It's still a story about a man who becomes an insane clown-faced laughing criminal called the Joker. What is it really narratively, that's so essential about Batman AS Batman having a hand in creating the Joker?

That's dumb to me, and I'm glad that's getting pushback. It makes so much more sense that Gotham itself, the corrupt, desperate broken place that it is, created most of them, even Batman, with Batman simply choosing to use his eccentricity to fight crime and resist the corruption rather than participating in it.

>The SJW market does not actually exist.
Maybe you should get out of your social buble user.

Who cares, it's an adaptation. Playing the source material straight is boring and accomplishes nothing artistically.

Joker's design in this movie is inspired by a clown in The Man Who Laughs, and not by the protagonist Gwynplaine, who was the actual inspiration for the Joker design. The Joker in this movie might just be an inspiration the the real Joker who will become active when Bruce is older.

Attached: 1557057509616.jpg (1564x1564, 717K)

Attached: joker.jpg (357x236, 25K)

We know several origin stories in the main continuity already. Neither of them might be true.

>*mic drop*

Attached: this is you.gif (450x253, 3.59M)

Gotham was a hell hole long before Batman started fighting crime. Common thugs were just replaced by crazy villains.
He didn't create that many of them, it's only logical,in universe, that as the number of heroes with power goes up, so does the number of villain.

one is a good movie and the other is a bad movie

One is (apparently) a good movie. The other is not.

What's the problem, OP?

>What is it really narratively, that's so essential about Batman AS Batman having a hand in creating the Joker?
Nothing, but a movie about the Joker should at least have the courtesy of having Batman oppose him.

Why?

Are DC actually doing synergy? They might have taken some stuff drom DCAU back in the 90s into the comics, but right now?

I actually think it's the other way around. DCEU movies are taking more from recent DC comics, not necessarily from more established stuff, like Cyborg as the founding member of the Justice League.

I'll see you in the shitting on MCU threads

Bullshit. It is just as much Gacy makeup. Lazy and it doesn't even fit Joker's color scheme.

>Lazy and it doesn't even fit Joker's color scheme

Attached: soy faggot.jpg (1048x890, 239K)

Guys that hasn’t been relevant in decades. Sure Gotham was broken before, but Batman was supposed to represent a new era

>I don't understand! How can movies be judged by any criteria other than how faithfully they replicate the comic books from my childhood?

>Batman was supposed to represent a new era
Kek.

This film could work if its implied that this *could* be the Jokers backstory or it *could* not be his past.

>If I'm going to have a past, I'd prefer it to be multiple choice!

>The Mandarin is a white guy angry at Tony Stark.

No he's not. They made a short film about this. Google it.

Year one ends with the Joker threatening Gotham water supply, that new era lasted 5 minutes.

I don't give enough of a shit about the MCU to shit on it, but I have respect for the whole "cinematic expanded universe" thing

Holy shit, I never noticed the tattoos. Thank you user, this elevated Killian a bit in my mind.

That Joker's costume is much closer than that Catwoman's though

Yeah he's just a dude in face paint, not chemically induced permawhite, but so was Ledger

The best Joker had a definite origin as a hitman for Sal Valestra.

Todd Phillips said he was inspired by the multiple choice thing, and Arthur hallucinates a lot in the movie and it blurs between what's real and not and there are already theories on what's real and what's not.

I understand the joke is that they both do the first one, but you completely messed up the delivery.
Also both movie feature based Frances Conroy in a supporting role.

Attached: frances-conroy-halle-berry-catwoman-2004-BPN2AB.jpg (860x1390, 182K)

I felt like Joker cutting off his face was an attempt to synergize or one up Ledgers scars.

That was a Michael Myers reference because Snyder only knows horror movies.

Even Moore didn't want Killing Joke to be canon you insufferable autist.

>*mic drop*

Attached: 1552031319313.jpg (506x477, 26K)

why bother giving it the Joker name and branding if its only gonna be it in name only?

You mean Leatherface?

>”it doesn’t count”
Fuckjngn mouseketeers

Even Liefeld thinks it doesn't count

I thought the Batman TAS trial episode out to this debate to rest?

Liefeld also is a Snyder fan.

Liefeld is retarded and is asshurt Snyder got fired

huh?

Definitely a Michael reference, same blue mechanic's uniform. If it had been Leatherface he'd go around in a suit or wearing an apron.

The difference is Pitof is incompetent at directing actors.

Mask dancing with the cops was kino buddy.

No shit, real DC movies aren't good.

Who the fuck was Pitof? A music video director?

You’re just giving up shitting on the joker movie now ladderbro? It’s not too late to ramp up your shitposting on Birds of Prey.

Do not give me this “what would Liefeld do” bullshit

Attached: ono.gif (480x480, 818K)

The guy who directed Catwoman

What did he do before to not have a lady name tho?

Did Thomas Wayne sport a blond wig and spout Trumpisims or what? It’s just hard to see critics giving glowing press to an incel icon unless it has a political slant they fancied in the flick

Yes, the trailers give away that there's a "rich man bad" angle.

French guy who mostly specialized in SFX. He made Vidocq, the first ever movie filmed with a digital camera, then Catwoman, and then returned to SFX.

“New era” as in the old mob is old news. Organized crime became almost obsolete, save what Cobblepot and Sionis took over

Class warfare flicks been a thing before Trump and will be long after tho