So, what's the verdict?

So, what's the verdict?

Attached: file.jpg (750x1125, 103K)

it was good

I mean the show is not coming back
So this and the rocko movie are fucking pointless

Netflix has the rights for distribution now, it can DEFINITELY come back if its OG creators sign contracts with Netflix

I bit more light-hearted than the actual show, but overall very good.

>So this and the rocko movie are fucking pointless
>two charming movies
>pointless
You aren’t wrong I suppose, but isn’t that a lame way to look at media?

It was fun for the nostalgia. I know people mock Invader Zim for being the epitome of "lol so random and zanny" humor but this felt like they cranked everything to 11. I genuinely felt annoyed and saw myself rolling eyes at times, something that never happened with the show. The story is also very mediocre.
The movie still has its charms and an endearing idiosyncrasy so it was still a fun watch, but it's nothing to write home about even for fans of the show.
The last sequences with the different animations were pretty rad though.

The movie's really good at capturing the spirit of the show while modernising it (without coming off as pandering), and it actually manages to resolve some of the plot threads that the show itself never would, like actually having Zim take over Earth for a couple days, Dib getting the respect of his family and the Tallest/Irken armada actually getting defeated (even if it may or may not last). That said, it's pretty obvious they left some plot threads like Tak and the Resisty open for if the show itself ever does get another season.

Attached: 1497209753767.png (128x128, 28K)

Solid movie keeping in tone with the original. Nostalgia fags hate it for not being as grim dark as they percieved the original to be

I thought it was enjoyable. It gets better after every rematch.

Good movie not a good Invader Zim movie

It felt.. derivative.

It was pretty good. Not perfect, but mostly enjoyable. That seems to be the consensus.

If continuation of the series was the only reason to create a special, I'd agree, but I think getting two fun specials was point enough for them to exist.

Attached: dibflip.jpg (640x624, 54K)

Of?

it was alright

It felt like a fan project with a ridiculous budget.

It was the best of Nick specials. The overall tone was definitely less goth and serious, and more relaxed. But, it accomplished what it needed to, it was really fun, humorous, and no SJW propaganda that gives a big "fuck you" to the fans like the Rocko special did.

Phenomenal, I can understand the gripes others may have but I think it exceeded expectations for the most part.

The fact that it happened at all is pretty phenomenal.

>SJW propaganda

Attached: rocketroll.gif (397x360, 2.18M)

>Rocko's film wasn't SJW propaganda

>Implying it was

>but this felt like they cranked everything to 11.
I think you need to rewatch the show, especially any moment that involves Gir, the movie is tame in comparison.

>spends half its running time on an inconsequential side character turned trans instead of building an interesting plot just to virtue-signal the opinion that "change is good"

It works with Gir because he's always been like that. The rest of the cast felt pretty flanderized for me, especially Gaz. I don't know, maybe it's because the film lacked the edgy grittiness of the show which acted as a counterbalance to the silly zaniness.

>inconsequential side character
I feel like you didn't watch the original show much. Ralph wasn't a major character, but he was an important one the two times he did show up, and a fan favorite. Rachel doesn't even show up in Static Cling until over halfway through.

Attached: annoyedrocko.jpg (357x402, 14K)

>flanderized
>Gaz

If anything, she was toned down.

Attached: gazpalm.png (420x417, 136K)

Well lets see

>Ralph becomes a girl, all his friends just accept it with no questions asked.
>His dad does a complete xbox 360 after seeing a film his son does, after no real climactic realization.
>The last half of the film was basically lecturing and scolding the audience on how lame it is to want things you enjoyed as a kid....which questions the reason why the special was made in the first place
>The director gives a middle finger to the audience for simply wanting things they enjoy.
>Rocko immediately accepts the SJW change and embraces it.

That garbage special was fucking SJW propaganda that was disguised as nostalgia.

user, it's really the opposite, everything besides Zim and Gir was pulled back to a less wacky level. In the show the ring of children would have some way more ridiculous stuff going on.

How did Rocko give a Fuck You?

>I don't like queers
>So anything containing queers is a personal insult to me and/or propaganda

Attached: tinfoilhat.png (255x304, 75K)

By scolding fans who still enjoy the things they enjoyed since their childhood. Just because people naturally have an aversion to unnecessary change doesn't make them bad, which the show tries to communicate through Rockos unfavorable view of the show he likes being changed.

I don't mind lgbt people, but I strongly dislike being told I'm wrong for not wanting and accepting frivolous change to a show I liked, especially when its a lecture around todays social climate.

Jungle Movie shits on Florpus though

-What questions are needed? Ralph went on a journey of self-discovery after leaving the Fatheads and Rachel is what he discovered. Did you want a character to insist that Ralph could've been happy just being Ralph despite not seeing them for many years?

-Ed was offended less by the transition and more about just the sudden change on top of other changes. But in the end, we've seen since the original series that Ed still wants to be close to his child.

-The problem isn't liking old things. Its getting autistically mad when new versions of the old things aren't exactly the same as if the people making them have to stay exactly he same as they were 20 years ago.. How did you miss that?

-Redundant point. See above.
-Are you really calling adding a baby to The Fatheads an SJW change?

With the way you define propaganda, you really should know that Rocko has always had some political leaning in the work. But thats fine because its the propaganda you liked right?

>I strongly dislike being told I'm wrong
There we go

Based.

Attached: 90snick.jpg (566x377, 100K)

>Ralph becomes a girl, all his friends just accept it with no questions asked.
That was pretty in character for them, except, maybe Filbert. Maybe.
>His dad does a complete xbox 360 after seeing a film his son does, after no real climactic realization.
That's in line with the show
>The last half of the film was basically lecturing and scolding the audience on how lame it is to want things you enjoyed as a kid....which questions the reason why the special was made in the first place
I think it was more about accepting the fact that things aren't going to stay the same, even if you want them to.
>The director gives a middle finger to the audience for simply wanting things they enjoy.
Eh. It felt more like playful ribbing than a middle finger.
>Rocko immediately accepts the SJW change and embraces it.
Not really. after a long, whiny speech, he gets talked down by Ed, and ends with shrugging and saying "I guess change can be okay." That seems pretty in-line with the show as well.

The message of the special wasn't "Change is always good" it was more that, while it can be jarring and annoying at times, it "Can be okay"

If one of my best friends suddenly told me, "I'm a girl now", then I would listen to their reasoning, and ask tons of questions. I would also be less supportive because I knew my friends since childhood as kids, and it can be selfish in a way to retroactively change the person you were when we reminisce fondly at the times when we were younger, hell, it may even be uncomfortable to talk about the past enjoyments. Because at this point, they literally are a different person. But yes, I would insist that they can be happy with the person they are, not for being a something they physically (and mentally) cannot be.
But, if they were serious and refused to be who they are, and I had their sincere answers, then I would simply have to accept it if I wanted to remain friends. It would be different, and not preferable.

Also, the issue is that the show does lecture the fans on liking old things. There is a fundamental groundwork some shows have. And Rocko was always a zany and exaggerated, I'm sure you're simply going to bring up the episode where ed is a clown, which all SJWs mention for this argument. The fact is, that was the only time anything political, or a social issue topic was brought up (the recycle episode was more so Nicks idea). Normally, I would be okay with whatever metaphor they want to use, but the special wasn't a metaphor, it was literally hamfisted to the viewer.
And yes, adding a baby to the fatheads was a metaphor for what Rockos modern life was currently doing in this special. It was more of a defensive tactic to deflect criticism at the audience for not accepting change.

Look at other cartoons...if you have to add a new character, new baby, new dog, jump the shark, etc...it's probably a sign the show sucks and it's time to cancel up. And yes, the special wast even that funny.

If you don't think nu-simpsons and nu-power puff girls are just as good as the originals or their earlier episodes then you're wrong and intolerant.

If you're not the sort of person who is okay with trans stuff from the offset, then you're pretty much positioned to always dislike anything to do with it.

It was alright. If the original show was an 8, then this was probably a 7. My biggest complaint is the pacing. It starts with Dib in a pathetic state, then after he leaves that state, Zim enters his own state of depression. It feels like the momentum towards the beginning was suddenly brought to a halt. I wish the whole film focused around Zim losing his self-confidence rather than just the first third or so.
Plus, it feels like the show had it's teeth removed, if that makes sense. Still worth watching, though.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 21K)

Mediocre. Had none of the charm of the original series, characters were basically completely rewritten

Ed always said he "had no son." Turns out he was right!

Attached: consider the following vegeta.png (1280x720, 907K)

The message was "Change can be okay" not "Change is ALWAYS good."

Yeah, the PPG reboot and modern simps suck, but there are also good reboots. 2003 and 2012 TMNT, Ducktales 2017, The Looney Tunes Show, Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated are all great shows, but there was, and always will be, autists screeching about how they are different and ruined everything.

I'm okay with gay people, that's simply being horny for the same sex. Like, I'm not gonna dictate what people do in their bedroom, but you know goddamn well transgender issues are an entirely different beast.

Try being LGB and saying that the person who wants to hack off their genitals isn't part of your crowd.

Just Gaz, really. Zim, Dib, and Gir were all on form
I'm not saying you're wrong for not being okay with trans stuff, just saying it like it is. If you don't like trans stuff, there was nothing they could do to please you, short of just not having it in at all.

Change can be okay, that is true. But it wasn't true for the Rocko special, hence why I disliked it.
And yes, one of the changes was placing a blatant social message in there which lectures the audience. When media stops being entertaining, and simply starts finger waving, it's not longer fun. It's simply propaganda.

>being mad gaz actually had a semblance of a soul for once
probably watching her brother hole himself up like he did made her realize that maybe hes really pathetic and she needed to lighten up a bit for his sake

>short of just not having it in at all.
Which honestly would've been better. What they did in Rocko just felt like pandering.

Dib was way toned down. Zim and Gir were fine I guess but still seemed a bit off

>But it wasn't true for the Rocko special
I liked it, and so did a lot of other people.
>placing a blatant social message
The old show did that all the time. Are you sure you don't just dislike it when it's a social message you disagree with?

I tried to watch the first episode of Zim but it was so bad. Le randumb humor

Good I guess but wow did they change a lot of personalities, Gaz is an entirely different character.

Every show is pandering to SOMEONE. Any time a queer character is showcased in a way that isn't exclusively negative or for laughs, people call it pandering.

This isn't your best friend. Its an acquaintance you're on mostly friendly terms with whom you haven't seen in 20 years. You know their parents more than them. Though are you really saying your best friends are obligated to put your happiness over their own? They need to stay exactly the same so you can more fondly remember your childhood with them? Whats wrong with you? Transitioning doesn't delete the person they once were. You can keep those memories. Though I question the sincerity of your relationships if you feel you know people better than they know themselves.

The "lecture" wasn't that you're wrong to like old things, but to not hold new versions of old things (like people or shows you haven't seen in 20 years) to be exactly the same. As Ed said

>We can't live in the past. We can be grateful for it, but life isn't permanent."

Strong first half but it fell apart in the end.

If Hey Arnold came out today, Yea Forums would call it pandering, SJW bullshit.

Attached: unamusedhank.png (597x437, 430K)

Hella better than the rocko reboot

Again, I can only think of 2 eps with a social message, and one of them was Nickelodeon forced. Everyone is going to simply grasp at that clown episode.

It's like if Ren and Stimpy came back for a special, and simply pushing a social message then criticizing the audience for wanting more of the same schizo humor it had. Cartoons like that weren't originally made for political/social issue platforms.

Apparently, old Gaz is one of Jhonen's biggest regrets. If it weren't for Nick's fuckery, there would've been more episodes fleshing her out to be more than anti-social goth gamer girl who bullys her brother.

If Hey Arnold came out today it would literally massacre the awful garbage that passes for "cartoons."

Attached: faggot.png (400x298, 167K)

Two things can be true at once

>I can only think of 2 eps with a social message
Then you weren't paying attention.

Please tell me which other episodes had their primary plot revolve around a message regarding a social issue.

Hey Arnold did social commentary subtly enough and its movie came out 2 years ago too and didnt had anything hamfisted like this and this show teacher was obviously gay in the old show

The new movie was mystical bullshit, and the old show was anything but subtle.

>The new movie was mystical bullshit
yes and?

>and the old show was anything but subtle.
compared how forcefully down your throat shit is now? yes, its fucking subtle in comparison

Well, first I'd argue that the primary plot isn't about a social issue, it's about "Change," the trans character doesn't even come in until over half way through the special. That being said.

>Who's for Dinner
>I Have No Son
>She's the Toad
>Kiss Me I'm Foreign
>Belch of Destiny
>Schnit-heads
>An Elk for Heffer
>Zanzibar
>Ed Good, Rocko Bad
>Magic Meatball
>Fly Burgers
>Rug Birds

And yes, Closet Clown. Not to mention the critical-of-capitalism that follows the entire series.

InB4 "Those aren't even social issues!"

>yes and?
Doesn't really well-reflect the old show. It's really different in tone.
>compared how forcefully down your throat shit is now? yes, its fucking subtle in comparison
You only think that because one is from your childhood and the other's aren't. Arnold took social issues head on, no metaphor or loophole needed. Even Steven Universe, the show most heavily criticized for being SJW propaganda uses metaphor and work arounds.

Guilty

Implying Yea Forums is one person

It was dull, I didn't like the cutesy animation, and found the dialogue and jokes to be more obnoxious than the original. I had an okay experience.

>And yes, the special wast even that funny.
This is the bigger offender IMO. The tranny stuff felt odd, most likely because GLAAD had a hand in it and probably cut any real jokes, but even outside of that the entire special felt horribly dated and flat out confusing at times. Like, they had an iphone version #2039 jokes in 2019 despite tech in the 90s doing the same kind of shit as apple currently does, or the joke about energy drinks despite the 90s being WAY more fucking insane with energy drinks. Ironically it felt like someone that had little understanding of the past and how little shit truly changes over the years.

>Yea Forums would call it pandering, SJW bullshit.
>Minorities kids that constantly fuck up on par with the other kids
>Gay teacher who's gayness is never brought up at school, personal life completely separate from work life
>Shows both women and men in unfavorable light
>Redneck and slavtrash are the most based character in the entire show
I'm not sure they would.

I want to see Dr. Membrane do some more crazy shit.

Most of that applies to Steven Universe

Yup, even south park got away with trans jokes at bruce jenner. you could tell the special was made by boomers.

You know what? You actually provided a good list, and I will admit I was wrong. Rocko did have more social issues in the series from what I remember. Maybe its because I was too young to understand them back then, but you are right.

felt like an old episode and I mean that in the best way possible /10

>having a trivia like list of Rocko episodes to defend the movie for sucking tranny dick
I liked the Zim movie because it looked good and didn't cram anything down my throat like Netflix's twitter detailing how great the tranny plot in Rocko was.

Attached: 1565023058772.jpg (470x470, 70K)

>Dib wanted love from his dad
>Gaz showed her sentimental side
>Professor Membrane actually cared about his son
>flanderized
the only character i can think of that is close to be flanderized is Almighty Tallest Red

Boring as fuck