Whats with this cringe trend with comic books lately, "the darker and edgier" the better

Whats with this cringe trend with comic books lately, "the darker and edgier" the better

Attached: joker.jpg (496x740, 88K)

I think it's been going quite awhile now

This, the problem is that the edginess never left.

Every critically acclaimed graphic novel of comic is predictably edgy

>YOU GOTTA READ PREACHER its sooo dark and graphic

>you gotta read transmetropolitan, the atmopshere is so gritty

>ever read Ennis' punisher? It's the best punisher, its so noir

>omg you haven't read sin city yet?

>You gotta check out the watchmen, it's super heroes but more instead people hate them, and its edgy

>The boys!?!?! YOU NEVER READ THE BOYS!? it's only THE DARKEST COMIC EVER

>lately
you mean decades and decades, kid.

>novel of comic
Novel OR comic**

> it's super heroes but more instead people hate them, and its edgy
But instead people hate them***

God i'm too tired for this

Every youtube video ever: TOP TEN TIMES BATMAN WAS EDGY

Edgy schlock > liberal propaganda

Attached: 53749492_2240738302805677_5176241696911917056_n.png (666x960, 416K)

I think it's just part of society's desperate attempt to validate the things they enjoy as being "mature" despite the edgy elements usually making it less "mature" and more juvenile. If it's dark and edgy then it isn't childish so I can safely enjoy it without people making fun of me!

It's the sort of reactionary and self-ironic thought process that I would hope people grow out of before they are 20.

People confuse the material they consume with maturity

It's they're trying too hard prove that comics aren't just for kids and be more "adult" and while mistaking maturity for sex, violence, and edginess. A dash of that stuff is fine here and there, but have too much of it makes it start to feel like some teen's Dark!Batman AU.

Honestly....Yes

Cringe.

these

cringe

the kids of today should defend themselves against the 90s and the nu90s

Variying degrees of edge, user. Some shit is just edgy for being edgy, some because someone got fed up with how unrealistic scenarios in comics, mostly capsehit, are. Take OP's pic, for example. Death in the Family is not more realistic than regular capeshit and it hyped itself to be edgy but it couldn't even be that, it pussied out in the end.

Yeah. Critically acclaimed graphic novels like Persopolis and Bone and Blankets and Love & Rockets and Sandman. Or gritty edge-fests like The New Frontier or Marvels. Or how about the gross-out humor and extreme violence in Nimona or Daytripper.

You're a fuckin tit.

An exception to the rule doesn't change the trend you fucking retard. Just because I say people are born with two arms, and you find a few people who were born with 3 arms doesn't make my statement any less true you god damn fucking shit for brains

you listed 6. I listed 9.

Fraction's Hawkeye
All Star Superman
Astro City
Fun Home
Corto Maltese

I can keep going. You can't because you picked six and have exhausted your evidence, only half of which is widely agreed upon as "best of the medium" material in the first place.

Jimmy Corrigan
Usagi Yojimbo
This One Summer
Claremont's X-Men
Maus

I'm at 19. Please tell me again who is cherry-picking exceptions?

Is cringe the only word left to describe shit you don't like now?

Attached: 1528209025630.jpg (208x210, 9K)

>lately

Comic books have largely been written by manchildren who are ashamed of their childish hobbies for well over 30 years now.

You're just listing off comic books you fucking dumbass, the average person doesn't know what half of those are you god damn mongoloid.

yes, now fuck off

>lately
Dumb zoomer

Kids don't read comics so the major publishers have decided it's either pre-school or Hostel-style horror and nothing in between.

This.

I wouldn't describe the shit in the OP as "cringe". In my day, we called it like it is: embarrassing.

It's an issue with every form of art, generally you'll get recognition if you (competently) tick some of the following
>commentary about some bleak aspect of human nature
>social or political commentary
>meta commentary
>nostalgia wank

>I didn't mean critical acclaim! I meant widely read!
Are you done stalling or are you ready to admit defeat?

Attached: bobby.jpg (291x318, 51K)

Didio.

Attached: Dan Didio.jpg (200x200, 11K)

Because bloodbrains think edgy shit is kino.
>Oh my God he killed someone! This is so deep!
>This cartoon character isn't murdering anyone in cold blood? This show is shit!

No, because I didn't mean critical acclaim, I meant widely read. Therefore you lose.

y'see batman sells really well but instead of comic higher ups understanding setting and theme and seeing that batman is literally set in a gothic hellzone full of dark grit and noir esque tragedy covered in black filled with halloween characters and it fits perfectly because that's the entire theme they just see lol dark = good lets make bugs bunny an edgy realistic comic story

atleast I'm pretty sure thats what it is

So the 1980's are considered "lately" now?

compare 80's punisher to punisher now, tell me which is edgier lmao. Retard

When was the last time Joker actually did something funny or amusing and not try hard edgy bullshit?

I blame Alan Moore

Comics are for adults now, kids don't want them