Anyone else think this story has gotten to bleak for Sonic...

Anyone else think this story has gotten to bleak for Sonic? The games usually used humor to keep things from getting too dark and depressing, but this arc really doesn't do that.

Attached: SonictheHedgehogComic_thumb.jpg (554x840, 119K)

I think it's fine and all
I just think sometimes they forget it's a series about a talking hedgehog meant mainly for kids

A bit, yeah. I don't think its below acceptable levels but it certainly is getting darker.

It's fine but this also isn't a premise that needs to be stretched out for like 12 issues

Well in a longer story you usually do something to break the tension, but this comic doesn't do that.

>one of the main characters is the last of his kind
>The other had his teenage Sister Figure killed by the government
>but how dare they rise up the tensions a bit, this is for kids, kids are retards who should only watch teletubbies

I think if the comic wasn't a monthly this pacing issue wouldn't be problem

Uhh yeah? Those things still exist and are taken seriously but don't fully dictate the tone of the series.

It's boring because it's too much like a PG zombie comic now. Comic starts set with the longest prologue ever, a rushed fight against Metal, and now we're STILL dealing with the same situation as when this arc started. People are turning into zombies, Sonic is infect and has to go fast to stay normal, and the others are trying to survive, and nobody knows how to reverse it. Eggman is barely in this too. He did his thing and it's working without him having an active role in it which is the biggest problem with this arc.

Attached: ker-sploosh.png (1768x1768, 2.81M)

No, I just think it's tedious and uninteresting. I guess you could say it's bleak in the sense that it's trying to be dour instead of serious but still upbeat. I'd enjoy it doing that if the tone was actually like a thriller or horror story, but it's just annoying.

This whole comic is the ultimate proof that once Ian gets an idea in his head he stubbornly chases it instead of adapting to what's currently going on around him.

SA2 changes its tone/tension all the time, even with Shadow when he has that fight with Sonic that starts off with a friendly conversation, or his whole change of heart. That's just Shadow, the other characters' stories all have their own tones that fit their character.

>It's boring because it's too much like a PG zombie comic now.
Nah, it'd be fun if it was going that route. In fact...

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.46M)

Flynn said he wanted things to constantly get worse in this arc.

Gonna try to skip pages that don't matter to this particular story setup.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.25M)

Except this one, because Adam Wesker as a Sonic character is too good.

I want IDW to try to top this great moment

Attached: Robo-Robotnik_Revealed.jpg (1005x768, 612K)

That issue was shit.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.28M)

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.3M)

You'll notice there are things going on in this comic like

>establishing the setting
>foreshadowing
>background details

It's ugly and the dialogue/panel composition sucks, but this is actually accomplishing the basics here.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.19M)

We've established that something is amiss and are building a sense of curiosity as the group splits apart, setting up for the others to be revealed to have turned later. We also plant seeds for later elements while establishing our characters for the audience in case this is their first issue.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.27M)

We're starting to get the feeling that something is really wrong, and hints of creepiness come in, the setting is used to emphasize the atmosphere (poorly because shit art) with the lighting and emptiness.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.16M)

Dramatic irony, the tension builds! Our characters are having fun but we KNOW they're not okay, something's going on, something's wrong, they're in danger, get out of there now!

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.2M)

This story also isn't dragged out.

We move back to the other half of the cast, and oh no! They're in danger too! We edge closer, and closer, and closer to the reveal! We get a hint, could it be, those characters foreshadowed earlier?

That's actually because I cut out about a third of the comic. The original pacing is way worse because it has to deal with a completely different subplot from the previous issue both to wrap it up and to keep Sonic away from the cast this issue. This story continues into the next issue, but yeah, it's resolved in under 50 pages. My point is more about structure and how the story itself is written than how long it is.

No! Our heroes realize something is wrong, but it's too late! Run, run!!

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.22M)

50 pages is better than 240.

The reveal! Aaah, it's spooky! It's also far more effective because instead of having a completely normal adventure story and then having the characters randomly turn into zombies at the very end to start the plot we dedicated the issue to *setting up the story we want to tell with the tone we want to establish*.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.21M)

Good, let the hate flow through Sonic.

I mean yeah but you get what I mean, right? You could still do a decent job with a year's worth of zombie stories, and you don't need to make them all actual horror style adventures. If anything the progression from horror to action is perfect, just like how Romero's movies evolved to be less about dread of a predator all around you and more about the less painful but more anxiety inducing dread of every day life with them as a constant.

Combination comic relief and action because the comic doesn't want to be TOO scary.

nice

Attached: IMG_4603.jpg (300x208, 30K)

FUCKING HELL GIGA SATAN HAS SPOKEN

That's a nice get.

I HAVE WITNESSED GIGASATAN IN PERSON
(YOU) DESERVE MY (YOU)

Attached: PHIL_JIMENEZ_2_Talent_nycc2012_mj_1500_5979194f3a85f7.60510438.jpg (192x291, 14K)

Awkward exposition here because this is based on an episode from the TV show and it would be impossible to keep this as a sequel while also going back over this info naturally with the same characters.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.18M)

Sonic X was just a better comic than IDW in general. Whatever the circumstances, it managed to get good writing from Flynn.

Attached: Vanilla checking dubs.png (1920x1080, 464K)

Attached: C3B95047-0747-49BF-A4DD-C2C8F722DC24.gif (500x211, 846K)

This story wasn't written by him, though. And generally speaking, he just wrote better when he was younger because he had more to lose and was less set in his routine.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.17M)

Oh noooooooo!
Don't post that.

And now we have Lucky Satan to counter in a Sonic thread about zombies.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.11M)

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1124, 1.18M)

Suspense! Drama! Stuff happening!

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.05M)

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1022, 1.07M)

you know the zombot arc is basically the final vestige of Kaminski's influence

Sorry, I was so spooked I forgot to quote the post.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1124, 1.21M)

I mean I guess. Except Ian wasn't really working on it while Kaminski was editor, so.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.13M)

The creation of Sonic was meant to appeal to teenagers who thought Mario was to kiddy. Sonic is a rebelious 15 year old who follow his own rules but cares about his friends. Sonic was always meant to be a little more serious compared to other platformers. If you remove that edge, you removes what makes Sonic so appealing to people. There's a reason why so many people loathes Colors and Lost World because everything is a joke and there is no tension. Sonic should have a good balance between serious and lighthearted. Just because Sonic is talking animal doesn't mean there can't be tension or big stakes as long as the characters stay true to themselves and don't change them to force a different tone. No matter how dangerous thing gets, Sonic never gives up and keeps on fighting. Sonic appeals to kids for his coolness and attitude, Sonic Colors but mostly Lost World is that dangerous thought about Sonic being silly talking animals like other platformers

Long post, but I hate people shitting on Sonic and his legacy just because he's a talking hedgehog

Skippin a few pages that just serve to break up the zombie story, Grandpa tells them Sonic's in jail and Sonic does jail things.

Someone link the mega with this, I lost it

The hell it was. It was Robotnik making a grand return as an unstoppable force setting the clock back to zero. Completely curb stomped Sonic, took back his city, and had shown to have better made Swat Bots that at least for a while seemed to stand up to Sonic longer.

yeah a lot of people write off the entire era, but Karl's earliest stories were actually pretty good

Yeah, it was a return to status quo accompanied with a bunch of bad exposition and powerlevel wanking, you're correct.

I agree, just not that one. Icon's still pretty fun, among other things.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.17M)

who was a better writer on the sonic x book specifically (ignoring their non sonic x stuff): Joe Edkin, or ol' Ian?

Honestly, the story drags in the second issue to pad for time, which is stupid given it has a huge anticlimax ending. The writing isn't very good, is what I'm saying.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.13M)

Ian in terms of consistency. Edkin wrote a better version of Genesis that was just one issue long, it was probably one of the comic's best issues. Other stories were much weaker.

Wahh I want my villain to be a complete pushover the hero can kill whenever he wants

I remember when it was still silly despite Robotnik becoming all-powerful.

Attached: sonic vs robotnic types.jpg (910x1230, 396K)

Early Robotnik will always reign over the modern one as the one who set the stage for global conquest that his modern one never could hold onto, robotisized Sonic, instrumented the enslavement of an entire planet, and decimated the multiverse with the Ultimate Annihilator that it never fully recovered from.

Attached: 3018085-robotnik prime.jpg (720x900, 164K)

Waaah I take criticism about the story itself being trash as hating the villain I like.
Seriously, chill. I don't care that he came back and returned the status quo, I'm saying the story itself blew hard. They spent several issues just setting it up, had Sonic and friends pop into space, he says "hi it's me" and blows up and they end up plopping back down and running off to Knothole. It's really not great and feels more like a stream of consciousness attempt to put the changes editorial and Sega wanted in motion than an actual story that incorporated those changes.
That was pretty cute.
Prior Page that I skipped: Sonic complains about Jail being boring and is then told he's free to go.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1016, 1.2M)

>tails tombstone

Attached: you're gonna carry that weight.jpg (500x500, 30K)

>robotisized Sonic
I mean you say that like it's dramatic while omitting that the story is Nack literally hitting him with an anvil gag and Sonic being dragged into a big machine all cartoony-like.

And, in fitting with this being a goofy gag comic, the story is resolved by the fact that...the ghost is actually super reasonable.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.26M)

It was being set up as a mastermind behind the sattelites that they had to eventually confront. The fact that he still won even in the face of being blown up with their homes taken away from them once again was a brilliant way to rejuvenate a stagnant comic since the arc about chasing Naugus was boring as shit.

No seriously he's pretty chill.

Attached: An actual zombie story.png (658x1024, 1.23M)

The aftermath was anything but cartoony.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 27K)

You're still talking about the status quo instead of the story of the issue itself. It's stilted, filled to the brim with more exposition than is actually needed to convey the information, and is contrivance after contrivance. It isn't actually a fun read, it's just a kinda crappy story that serves to make for (what should be) positive changes for the comic going forward. I get what you're saying, but the execution was terrible.
The final page is as stock as it gets, so we're skipping it. I hope you were mildly bemused by this kinda okay but structurally sound little horror-comedy.

I mean you say that.
But that looks just like a lot of action cartoons, and this is followed up by Bunnie decking him while making Confederate Army puns, and Knuckles turning into a dreadlocked robot and punching him some more while making intentionally corny back and forth jabs about their super cool toyetic abilities. And is then followed up by an issue drawn in the normal art style of Sonic getting taken to literal kangaroo court and going on a wacky adventure to kidnap Nack.

It's pretty silly.
Forgot the last image.

I give that it could have pushed it harder with more grim imagery if it wanted, but for a Sonic comic it was one of the first real serious moments where it felt like the stakes were high and that their victory would come at a certain cost. It is those types of stories I value most in the Archie run since it took risks, and went beyond the cartoony nature to give some memorable moments.

I think you're conflating Spaz's art with the writing. It's written the exact same way as all of Gallagher's other stories, Spaz just decided to draw it in a dramatic way.

This is probably one of the biggest blunders Archie did where they had a great story set up and completely fucked it up with a half assed story, and Ron Lim's shitty artwork. Here we could have had a 4 issue mini arc showcasing the strengths of each Robotnik working together as one, similar to how Wily and Eggman worked together later on, to ensnare and trap Sonic in something that would require both of them to work together on. It also would have been a good way to identify how they are technically the same person but have different personalities and different style of inventions.

Attached: STH108.jpg (1085x1670, 726K)

Well the kangaroo court aftermath seemed much more jarring in tone and writing.

They planned on doing that for realsies later on but then Bollers quit and they fired Penders so it got scrapped

Take all the dialogue from 39, MM, and 40 and copy it into MSWord.
Read it.
You'll notice absolutely nothing jarring whatsoever. You're projecting on to the comic because you thought Spaz's pencils were epic.

It was out of character for them to question Sonic's loyalties when they knew full well he had no free will as a machine, and didn't go willingly. It was just a chance to make readers hate Antoine because he wanted Sally's squirrel hole.

The story where Sonic and his friends got trapped in a VR game based on Sonic 1 was a two-parter.

>Skippin a few pages that just serve to break up the zombie story,

You fucking faggot! Post the whole thing.

there was a story time on /vg/, but last pages were not posted. wanted to see how sonic won

I know how it ends.

Sonic and his pals fight all the way to the end of the Scrap Brain Zone, unaware that once they win, the Master Emerald-powered VR chamber will blast off into space and kill them on the under-construction EggMoon. Chris and his grandpa find them by tracking the Master Emerald and get them out in time.

Nah, they're literally a waste of time and do nothing but recap shit or show Sonic bumming around in a jail cell.

It is very bleak.

These last few chapters have had a lot of funny moments, especially Omega. But the story is intense right now so obviously that does and should over shadow the more comedic elements.

The tension never lets up to let the audience take a break though.

The entire arc has never let the tension up, so really no comedy gets through.

it does though, and its not really a requirement

When does the arc take a break from reminding us how bad the zombot apocalypse is?

you should read it user

Fleetway really liked shitting on Tails.

Damn, finally someone gets it.

I did.

I honestly enjoy how much a scenario like the zombots should be pushing the characters. The real issue is the overall problem of IDW just having little substance or energy compared to either iteration of Archie, these mandates (or Ian being burnt out) really blow.

I almost completely agree, but also consider the following: Sonic doesn't compete with Mario anymore, he lost.

These pages are equivalent to a single issue of IDW Sonic. Imagine if this much happened per issue, or they ever bothered to tell an atypical story like this.

Speaking to the creators at shows, it’s a mixture of stiffer Sega mandates and IDW not giving them incentives, such as paying them Archie rates or paying them on time.

>stiffer mandates
The only "evidence" we've heard of was a secondhand of Ian saying he had to rewrite Shadow because Sega didn't like the power inhibitor thing and wanted him to make more obvious mistakes. Instead of rewriting the story he just made Shadow a prissy dumbass. I have a hard time blaming Sega for that.

Sonic almost dies via melting in the atmosphere
Tails actually seemed to be the most self sufficient he has ever been in the series
Knuckles almost killed someone
Amy gave a character altering pep talk
Eggman was at his most competent state he ever was, and for all intents and purposes, won in his struggle against Sonic.
It was more than just Shadow

Attached: 3e22947151ec818105fc286f17f89eda9aa2ff29b9644111cdd82d01f2883d0d.png (626x581, 625K)

There's a huge gulf between facts that are grim and a story's tone. Sonic is fun because it's crazy, cheesey and kinda insane. This middle ground "things are bleak but not spooky/anxious" approach just makes for boring stories that aren't fun.

You can ask people like ABT or Herms on social media. There's a lot of notes every issue from Sega compared to their Archie days.

They give any examples?

Corporations shouldn't own these characters after so many years. We should be allowed make a variety of takes.

Sonic isn't even 30, dude.

Didn't I say that in the post?

For some reason I missed all the key parts of your argument, and thought you were saying all the seriousn was solely due to Shadow. Please excuse my autism.

I made a thread asking this but the thread sucks so I'll ask it here.

What is the best adaptation of Sonic? IDW, Archie, or Fleetway version? What are their pros and cons?

Attached: latest.jpg (170x256, 22K)

You might want to split Archie into Pre-Reboot and Post-Reboot.

None of em.
Fleetway has a few dozen good stories. Archie is the same. Most of both sucks.

IDW, it's fun, they kept the best archie artist, the stories are good, and its the best comic portrayal of Sonic as a character

What's Sonic's personality in IDW?
Don't pull from other sources and cited evidence.

You couldn't be more wrong. It is the blandest comic.

This. Yeah Archie wasn’t a steak, it was like a diner hamburger. IDW Sonic is like chewing cardboard. It takes forever and lacks any substance.

Archie

It's just like what the Archie comics did occasionally so it's not like it's new to Sonic comics.
Though it helps that it's using Forces as a springboard which is technically the most "dramatic" entry in the franchise game-wise for a while.

The Best Adaptation?

Um....maybe not the best. But I'm going to lean for Archie cuz that's muh childhood and also of how ambitious it was trying to cram a lot of the western canon alongside the games and OC into this rich world worth exploring.

Fleetway had some interesting ideas but it got too bonkers at times and too depressing at others and I never liked the dialogue. I love Tekno and Shortfuse.

IDW is cheap, shallow and slow Sonic Forces fan fiction floating on top of a bunch of Ian's unused Archie scripts. Has no soul.

Honestly, the actual best adaptation was Boom

Yeah...that would describe what would make a good Sonic comic - It's not a five star dinner, it's delicious comfort food that you know it's not good for you, but it makes you FEEL good.

Now granted, a REALLY good Sonic comic would be one of those trendy neighborhood restaurants that is reasonable expensive and is always really crowded because everyone wants to eat over there and they make the best Sloppy Joes with curly fries you ever had, alongside some vegan dish the hipsters love.

Bunnie needed more stories

Attached: tumblr_orp64ajEev1qlj42ao2_500.png (500x373, 223K)

Same as the games

This sounds like set up to a rather lewd situation.

For some reason all Sonic media has to be some horrible Matrix/Terminator style "All hope is lost, the evil empire took over everything!" bleak and terrible ultra dark nightmare where Sonic is the lone adventurer trying to retake the world.

I never got that impression of things from any game.

Even Forces takes the concept and makes it more lighthearted.

Reboot Archie

Why does Bunnie have irises while Tails and Ben don't? Is it because she's a bit older than them that she gained some?

look like a page by Jodorowosky lmao

Attached: The Technopriests Book Two (Rebellion) (2004) (069).jpg (1024x1432, 327K)

That's wrong but okay

Bunnie needed a lot more screentime for a character that had a strong premise, and that kinda sucks she doesn't:
>broken bird that suffered a traumatic fate that left her in poor condition
>has to accept the present circumstances with the help of new friends
>learn to love herself again becoming the southern belle everyone knows

Theory: the younger you are, the more Classic looking you look like. As you get older, you get pupils with irises and color, looking more Modern. Seeing as Bunnie is married by the time of the Unleashed arc, she may be older than she looks.

>Don't pull from other sources
Describe it, using only the comics.

Bunnie had quite a few, it's that they never went anywhere. She never even really got negative character traits.

She's 20 at most. Even in the old continuity 20 was the oldest she

>Honestly, the actual best adaptation was Boom
You can't just post that without someone like me asking you to go into a bit of detail as of why.

Attached: JESUS diddly CHRIST.png (4000x4000, 1.03M)

Reboot Archie for sure. Most consistent tone/pacing, has the best Sonic character designs (especially the Eggbosses) that put the current Sonic Team's to shame, frequent creative scenarios that also felt like a medley of Sonic's history and a balance between silliness and seriousness. It even made the FF's look like proper Adventure-onwards characters and even handled Unleashed's setting very well.

Old-Archie certainly had the higher points and ambitions, but was all over the place in qualityand flip-flopped to utter shit thanks to Penders. It had to pull lots of bullshit to keep up with the games and only got better near the end once Ian was in control. Fleetway is more or less a similar issue, though usually it was weirder and uglier IMHO, and IDW so far is basically too safe and devoid of ambition (even though we're in a fucking zombie-arc) thanks to SEGA mandates and/or Ian having trouble with ideas.

Sonic takes the plot too seriously... probably because of the stupid decision to infect Sonic.

Forces-aside (which sucked at it anyways), we haven't had edgy apocalypses in Sonic since fucking forever now. Everything has gotten more plasticine and trying to copy Nintendo ever since '06 and Penders, if anything.

The entire comic is like that though given it wants to base itself around Forces.

Attached: Way Past Hilarious.jpg (672x424, 49K)

IDW yeah, but that user was implying Sonic is ALWAYS in some apocalyptic Half-Life 2 state, which it most certainly isn't.

My favorite analogy yet, even if it's >food. Thanks user.

I love this. It should go on the covers of IDW books.

That's good to know. Thanks

no

If you are really going to go for Archie, then take this along with you. It will help tons to guide yourself through the issues correctly, and pick any described start point as you wish.

Attached: Archie Reading Guide FINAL.png (1320x1001, 1.24M)

Fleetway had the best talent, IDW has the best writing, Archie had the best jokes.

>IDW has the best writing

Attached: 1536415347779.png (640x480, 175K)

Oh shit thats pretty cool!

can we get an exploitable

Attached: firefox_2019-08-30_21-00-35.png (274x132, 105K)

This isn’t new, ever read Archie or Fleetway?

He’s not the one putting up a mini storytime, dude. What’s with this sudden criticism for IDW and recent Archie sanic, anyway? Some of it has been civil but passive aggressiveness like this seems like people are being hipsters for no reason.

He gave you the source man, not everyone’s going spoon feed you.

The best adaption was the Sonic OVA movie.

fleetway still has the best robotnik outside of aosth

Thing is that Sonic Team tries to mimic whatever fad anime at the moment storywise and ape Mario at least in 3D gameplay