Do you buy comics for the art or for the story?

Do you buy comics for the art or for the story?

I do it for the art desu

Attached: Higginstopsellingcomics.png (606x693, 75K)

Both, but mainly for the story. Buying only for the art seems like a poor investment, especially if you buy comics physically. Which is why those people are rare.

come for the art stay for the story
however, no matter how good your art is, if you're pulling 15 words every panel you can kiss my ass

OP here , Usually I don't buy variant covers or try to collect them , but I usually only follow a series if it has an artist I really like.

Depends on the book. There are writers who get every new title they do added to my pull and artists who can get me to tolerate some truly horrible writing. My favorite books are usually because of the paneling. But I never buy a book for the cover.

Whose panelling do you love?

at my shop you really have 4 demographics

Normies, art chasers, story readers and speculators. but usually your typical reservist is a little bit of all three.

story readers are the worst on comics, but,yaknow, it's not my business. it's your book, fuck it up if you want.

The "worst" demographic, by and large are the speculators. These are the people that will try to request vague bullshit like "two of every first appearance" like we can guarantee something like that. These are the people who will show up at 10am on a wednesday morning to buy every single copy we have on the rack of a book. It sucks because normies who collect from the rack will drop a series before they skip an issue. but, it's hard to blame them, everything is written for the trade these days and requires having read everything leading up to it.

Rocafort, although that's low on the list of things I love about his style and mostly a result of him trying to get away with lots of blank space since his so slow.
What Rodriguez is doing in History of the Marvel Universe would be enough to get me to buy it even if I hated everything else. I think he did Dr. Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme too.
Everyone knows about JH Williams.
Sharp's Euro inspired work in Brave and The Bold and TGL
The Safest Place in the World opened my eyes to how great Ditko was.

Comics are basically stories, so the story is the most important part of it.

the art is the story you fuckin knob. Make a comic before you talk. If you've ever read most comic scripts they're pretty minimal and give the artist just as much room to create story as a writer. Not everyone is a Moore or Morrison overwriting type

Normal issues and TPB, stories, but good art will upsell me to Absolutes/Omnis/Deluxes.

seriously. do people treat comic pencillers as just copiers of scripts? They interpret scripts and make decisions to enhance the storytelling. Ennis's Hitman wouldn't be as strong without McCrea's expressiveness. Ellis's Authority wouldn't have as much power without Hitch's sense of scale and cinematic style that roots the story in big operatic storytelling. Morrison's comics wouldn't be half as good without the assistance of artists who can match him in the hallucinogenic. Even comic writers acknowledge how much more important the artists are.

Shut the fuck up bitch I'm not buying RHatO for Rocafort and you can die choking on a fat dick.

Because sometimes that's all they do is copy scripts. Mitch Gerads said tom kings scripts were very detailed for Mister Miracle and he appreciated that.

that you're buying red hood in general shows your shit taste.

i buy for art, if the art isn't the reason I'm reading then there is no fidelity loss from just reading it online
but in general if art is just bad I won't read it

I don't buy comics at all
I probably would if they had better art though

That I'm not buying RHatO is the point you polesmoker. Kill yourself.

Red Hood is garbage, as are his fans.

not him but I like it

Na you wouldn't, crossposting newfriend.

I buy for the writer, but the art has to be good too. However, I recently bought Superman Brainiac just for Gary Frank's art. However, sometimes art I dont care for can grow on me if Theres a good writer, like Howard Porter and Grant Morrison on JLA

The art I've seen for the boys looks terrible to me, and the Art for doomsday clock is great to my eye for example.

Attached: pJPQqI3Z_0511181118561gpadd.jpg (1368x1976, 1.21M)

Those two should go hand in hand. Comic art is meant to convey the story where words fall short

Read Descender/Ascender, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz or Vincenzo Balzano's The Cloud and post this again

the answer has to be both. If you buy only for the story you might as well buy a fuckin book, and if you only buy for the art then you might as well just collect individual pages. It's the merging of the two and how they feed off each other is where the real beauty lies.

One of my favorite comics is East of West because Hickman will just give Dragotta a brief three paragraph summary or so of what happens in each issue, then he'll turn it into 20 or so pages, and then Hickman will go back and add dialogue. It makes it so the story and the art meld with each other really well.

A lot of it I think has to do with how we approach reading. We tend to equate reading with following a plot and its characters to different progression points all the way to an end. Comics change that because you now have more than words to read. If you give the art a brief glimpse, you do it a disservice. Likewise, if you give the story a once over, you are also doing it wrong. You have to read closely and look at how the two merge

Attached: 16.jpg (1193x1834, 836K)

Attached: 17.jpg (1193x1834, 678K)

Depends on the writer, depends on the artist, but in general I'm more likely to buy for an artist. An artist will never let me down, I always know what I'm getting. Sure there are cases where it's an older artist and modern coloring butchers their work, but that's few and far between.
Writers let me down all the time.

JH Williams III, the GOAT

Attached: file.png (1280x986, 2.17M)

I only pay money for comics by authors who can do both. I wouldn't buy any of this artistically worthless assembly-line comic cookie cutter garbage.

A good story can be ruined by shitty art and good art is a collection of pictures without a good story. Actual good writers and comic artists are becoming rarer and rare though. Especially the artists who might be able to draw a nice picture but can't actually tell a story or draw action for shit.

Art and story are inseparable, as others have stated. The very way the characters are drawn informs how the dialogue sounds in your head, the way the very words sound. For me good art makes average writing into good writing because the characters "sound better" if that makes any sense.

Williams is a fucking meme and shit like that is proof enough.

You're a meme. This is incredible artwork. I wouldn't want every comic to look like this but I'm glad it exists

Attached: file.png (770x470, 977K)

>story readers are the worst on comics, but,yaknow, it's not my business. it's your book, fuck it up if you want.

Can you explain? How is someone reading a comic for the story fucking up the book?

With the global talent pool good art has never been so prolific, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. John Byrne used to be a superstar artist, compare the shitty house style on the majority of Sandman and Hellblazer to all the great, lasting collaborations on modern Image. It's just easy to cherry pick the past and forget how terrible the art on B level books like Justice League Europe used to look.

He's a good meme

Both is preferable. But really shitty art will keep me from reading a comic even if it's written well.

not that user but I'm assuming he means the people who are hypercritical of the story are more likely to give it a more disingenuous review
like if someone read a Batman comic with an actually decent story and decided it was garbage just because the story doesn't portray him as BatGod or something
and at least from my experience those people do tend to give a more negative idea of a comic to someone who wouldn't know otherwise and it can make it all fall apart
sometimes all it takes is one guy telling the normies a good comic sucks to make that comic's sales tank

Attached: 1557855486789.jpg (325x374, 41K)

>like if someone read a Batman comic with an actually decent story and decided it was garbage just because the story doesn't portray him as BatGod or something

Does that happen? I almost always see the opposite when it comes to Batman, where fans are derided for just liking "BatGod" no matter what they say.

Story
I really can't tell if art is good or bad unless it's completely obvious

>Does that happen?
My dude, >NOT MUH it the #1 reason why comic book fans dislike things. You can even see this in letter pages for Batman Year One, Alan Moore Swamp Thing, and Claremont X-Men, for example.

Little bit of both, also a lot of nostalgia. The year I was born was the 30 year anniversary since ‘62 from Marvel and I just love the 90s and the art and edge. Art and Story are both complimentary elements to any successful comic.

Usually story, but Batman: Hush (was cheap and the first part came with Superman: Last Son) and Wonder Woman: Earth One were for the art.

I'm usually in it for the art. If it looks traced and rushed out with stiff and boring poses I won't read it.

Art grabs my attention, story keeps my attention.
An excellent example of this was Monstress, which looked gorgeous but was clearly written for 13 year olds. Dropped after one volume.

Attached: 715v2NZp8qL.jpg (997x1495, 256K)

I hated the artwork for monstress, man. Awful poo coloring, repeated panelling, thing looked like a webcomic. Just amateurish

Go to bed Watterson

I'm not likely to care unless there is a good story. Sorry but comics are a storytelling medium. That doesn't mean the writer is the most important thing (it better not be because most comic writers are shit), both the art and writing tell the story and it should be interesting.

I've bought comics knowing I don't like the art much, but I won't buy anything by a writer I've been burned by too often even if it has awesome art.

nobody buys comics.

>buy comics
Only if writer is doing a good job.

Attached: 1434667900994.jpg (237x248, 10K)

this is the correct decision

Story and character. I will not buy a comic only because it has nice art. If I don’t care about the characters and story i will not boy it no matter how pretty the art is.

For the story. Unless art is way too shit (not simple or kiddy, but incomprehensible) or very very good (JH williams III level), I tend to barely notice it

Story matters more for most people. The best example of this is Savage Hawkman New 52. It’s art was in the top 3 of the New 52 line and it still sold like shit. Not saying art isn’t important as I’ve dropped comics before for having horrendous art but of story is trash then the art is forced to work with trash.

To add on to this, prose matters a lot as well. I cannot stand modern frank millar as a result even if the "story" is good.
>why don't you read novels
I do, but there's the contrast and complementation between art and writing in comics that's unique, even if the art is mediocre and I rush through it

I'll mainly buy for the writer

but if I really like an artist then I'll hold my nose and buy stuff even if it's by a hack writer

did that a few times with bendis runs, shamefully

I really gotta catch up on that.

Imagine liking Maleev’s art

Attached: 811B4946-185D-4106-8FE0-2A71E6B0F9F8.jpg (167x242, 11K)

Story to be honest.
Comics that don't include dialogue often I never know how long to linger on a panel, so I often read the comic too fast and then reread trying to look at every detail making sure I caught everything.

This. It's hard to enjoy something when the art is ugly, but it's impossible to enjoy it when the story sucks

oh so that was YOU

So would a completely wordless, book length comic confuse you?

Not confuse me, merely be either a fast read or a very very slow read. There's no in-between without the text dialogue read at speaking speed to keep me at a normal pace.

It's like when you're at an art museum and you can end up going "yep that's a nice painting" and breeze through a hall or spend 20min in a single room because you're making yourself try to absorb every detail.

Only for the story. The art doesn't have to be good at all, it just there to communicate the story as effectively as possible,

I couldn't enjoy the best story in the world if the art hurt my eyes. I understand that some people can overlook that though.

>everybody in this thread with a story/writer preference

I mean ideally it's for writing and art in unison, but if you're choosing writing over art then you're fucking cancer

Attached: 1398228570397.jpg (455x460, 85K)

Javier Rodriguez
Alvaro Martinez Bueno

Bendis sat on Coipel and Immonen at the height of their powers. Fucking monster.

The story, most artists look the fucking same to me.

based

this. also the art is what grabs you first. if the story/writer is some life changing piece of art that will change human history, but the art is some sjw bullshit squirrel girl or that god awful shehulk trash, no one. no one will pick it up.

but the same can be said about art (but people will buy it). look at all star batman and robin. a fucking shit story, but people are getting jim lee to sign it cause of the art.

Sonichu is a great example of how a story alone can captivate audiences.

I can't believe so few people realize this
It is very distressing

good writing can save bad art
good art can't save bad writing

I buy specific characters that I like unless the story is real shit.

the art. I can deal with a lackluster story if the art is great. If the art is poor and the story is great I might as well just read a book instead

The art

I bought vampirella cause priest was writing it I would never buy it even if my favorite artist was drawing it