Titan A.E

Picked this up at FYE and I'm watching it for the first time in years. Why doesn't Titan A.E. get more love? It's quite good.

Attached: Titan_AE_One_Sheet.jpg (260x383, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JQO8MTlO69U
youtube.com/watch?v=i0lgJqti_7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=PNZAdbBnYLU
soundcloud.com/universal-hall-pass/lyra
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It just came out at the wrong time and was too derivative of the trends back then. I'm sure it'd be a hit if it was released today. It was also pretty unfortunate that it was a single movie instead of a series, the story lends itself much better to an episodic format.

Too much lame pop music, not enough of Stith's humongous sexy xeno legs

It really took a lot of risks for western animation at the time. Nudity, shocking violence. Destroying Earth at the outset was ballsy. Cast was strong too.

Good man.

If it had been an anime people would still be raving about it.

I remember getting a copy to watch with my older sister, we set aside to the time to watch it together and everything. then at the climax she gets a phone call and she starts getting into teenage gossip bullshit with the movie paused, it probably wasn't for that long but it felt like a long time and when we got back to the movie we just awkwardly finished it. it was supposed to be something we did together and it was ruined, I'll always remember it when I see this movie.

That's really sad, bro.

It honestly didn't help that it came right on the tail of Episode I and blunders like Lost in Space. I guess people were just tired of space adventures. It's a shame, I was just watching some clips and it still holds up really well.

CAN YOU
TAKE
MEH
HIIIIIIIIIYAGH?

shit fucked me up big time as a kid when that roach cook guy got blasted and his eyes and teeth or whatever were left behind

I like that it was an original story. Sure, elements were derivative bur it wasn't based off of a pre-existing property or franchise.

For me it was the neck snap. I honestly couldn't believe they went that far. Will say though, Drew Barrymore's performance is erection-inducing.

I wish we could have gotten an animated Homeworld. The disparate human groups shown in Titan were pretty lame, though I understand that's kind of the point

I loved it when it came out, there was actually a little book that came around the same time promoting the movie and all the scientific stuff it got right. they had some positive perceptions on our near future.

I just want more intelligent sci-fi.

Really? What did it say?

yeah, it was a good movie.

a shame it hasnt gotten more love.

Intelligent sci-fi is still being made, but it's mostly in book format. Read Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds or Peter Watts. Watts is mostly pessimistic and sometimes an edgy cunt, but his science is spot-on.

Just a brief comment referencing the movie about how the people in the year 3000 must be glad that humanity began space exploration around the 21st century.

I guess no one could foresee how much Nasa would be cut back or how we would come to depend on corporations to take us to mars and the moon... Like that would be stupid, right?

Also the book talked about space stuff, how realistic it was when they had to briefly expose themselves to the vacuum of space, whether aliens truly existed, etc. Nothing you couldn't get on wikipedia today.

Cosmic Castaway is still one of my favorite songs in a movie.

I meant in film/tv/animation. Good, hard sci-fi will always have a home in print (I hope).

It is really good. Being 15 at the time the whole soundtrack was good, but now is very, very dated.

BUT I'M NOT BROKEN
IN MY DREAM I WIN

Attached: 1564618892246.jpg (500x460, 43K)

It's senseless dreck.

Wow, how insightful.

Maybe they don't like Bob.

The 3D is really awful looking. The framerate actually drops during that one heavy 3D sequence.

Also, the motivation of the aliens that want to destroy humanity is never really made clear, except they're "afraid of what humans might become" which is extremely vague.

>Movie doesn't end with the protagonist fucking the Drej Queen and forging peace with the power of dick

Disney owns this now

There's a deleted scene where Corso explains that humans' ability to dream/imagine is what they're afraid of.

Good, then they can finally put out a fucking Blu-Ray.

Attached: stith.jpg (1458x888, 256K)

It's just okay. The love it gets is mostly because people are starved for an American animated movie in this genre for a target audience older than 12.

See what I mean?

>I just want more intelligent sci-fi.
And you think Titan A.E. is an example of that?

>I guess no one could foresee how much Nasa would be cut back or how we would come to depend on corporations to take us to mars and the moon... Like that would be stupid, right?
That's been a thing in sci-fi for a long time though.

No, because you're responding to the same person you're using as an example. Fail.

>And you think Titan A.E. is an example of that?
Compared to what's being presented now? Yes.

RESIZE FUNCTION, NIGGA, JESUS

I don't think that hurts my point in any way, user, quite the contrary.
You, OP, like it because it's "risky" by having nudity and violence in "western animation".

No, I was just pointing out that in 2000 it was risky in comparison to say Treasure Planet. I like it now because of the story.

The Korso twist came out of fucking nowhere. Like he was being set up as a paternal figure then BAM. "I wanna sell out humanity for money." Obvious rewrite for a more humanized villain.

And did Titan move Bob to another star? Also how did it generate billions of tons of rock?

It absorbed and transmuted the ice field
I think

Oh, is it time for a Stith thread? It's time for a Stith thread.

Attached: Stith-001.jpg (700x503, 22K)

I actually own this, bought a ton of Planet Ice/Titan AE crap on eBay, would have loved to have bought more Stith if I could have found it.

Attached: Stith-002.jpg (700x503, 18K)

I have this one too.

Attached: Stith-003.jpg (700x503, 17K)

Attached: Stith60a.jpg (640x480, 59K)

What's the most interesting thing you have? This is my favorite movie and I've been buying stuff as it shows up.

Attached: Stith14.jpg (853x366, 37K)

Ironically it was titled "Treasure Planet" at one point in development.

I have a animator work booklet for a couple scenes from the movie, it's mostly copied stuff, but there's notes made, things that needed changing, but most interestingly is it has the original title of Planet Ice all over it.

Attached: IMG_20150216_194151.jpg (2048x1536, 668K)

It's like, 500 pages, wide, wide pages.

I also have an actual sketch from Don Bluth of Stith. Back when he was selling sketches on his site, you could order just about any character of his for a decent price.

Attached: IMG_20150216_192922.jpg (2048x1536, 781K)

Here we go.

Attached: Bluthpic.jpg (637x827, 51K)

Attached: 1499368948544.jpg (777x1029, 142K)

Attached: 1510556711806.jpg (412x357, 24K)

God I wish that were me

Attached: noises.png (1341x727, 1.66M)

God I want to be in her hot seat.

Attached: stithdis1.gif (100x100, 12K)

Attached: preed copy.jpg (315x450, 76K)

Attached: preed2 copy.jpg (315x450, 65K)

>white people stopped wearing thier hair like cale
this hair stair was the high top fade of 90s white people

Attached: cale.png (500x281, 141K)

Attached: preeddrej copy.jpg (450x315, 87K)

Attached: stith_color.jpg (1801x1308, 84K)

Attached: stith2 copy.jpg (351x450, 75K)

Attached: stith3 copy.jpg (350x450, 85K)

Attached: stith4 copy.jpg (315x450, 81K)

Attached: stith5 copy.jpg (315x450, 89K)

Attached: stith8 copy.jpg (315x450, 102K)

Attached: stith10 copy.jpg (315x450, 74K)

wouldn't mind more scifi/fantasy stories like this where humans are the minority in the setting

Attached: stith12 copy.jpg (450x315, 68K)

I agree, especially if it means more having to live with/deal with aliens on a more constant basis.

Attached: stith13 copy.jpg (450x315, 94K)

Attached: stith14 copy.jpg (450x315, 76K)

Neat! I have a development sketch and a few storyboard panels myself. I also have a complete set of the Inkworks trading cards, all the English-language books, a calendar, some paper napkins, magnets, a bouncy ball, the limited-edition score, and a bunch of buttons.

I've slowed down buying because not much memorabilia shows up on eBay and I already have most of what's widely available. I'm also unwilling to shell out for the Panini album or try to get international shipping from the Spanish equivalent of Craigslist to get the Tosta Rica trading cards.

Attached: stith15 copy.jpg (450x315, 88K)

they'll just code the aliens to be whatever race they want to pander too and humans will either be white people who were once bad to aliens or strictly non white people. everyone here would shit a brick in outrage

>Skirt
>Midriff
HHHHHHRRRRRRRRNNNNNNGGG

Also a complete set of the comic books with the variant and signed variant covers.

That's cool! Yeah, I've got some party favors, the press junket, the Playstation demo disc, OST, soundtrack, I have the Dark Horse comics (which were pretty bad), and a few of the cards.

Attached: stithbw.jpg (550x800, 70K)

Oh I also have the Stith and Preed figures, and the Galoob Micro Machines Titan.

Attached: ShiekStith1.jpg (3220x2096, 233K)

Attached: ShiekStith2.jpg (3232x2096, 309K)

Attached: Stithgun1.jpg (3257x2112, 291K)

Attached: Stithgun2.jpg (3207x2144, 279K)

Dude that's the standard boy band hair of the 90s
If you looked like that you were a little gaywad
The cool kids either shaved their heads like Tupac or had bleached blond spikey geled hair

Attached: Stithgun3.jpg (3257x2184, 238K)

Attached: Preed2.jpg (2113x3232, 208K)

Attached: Preed1.jpg (2113x3282, 309K)

Party favors? Like what? Things like those are the most interesting to me because they don't exist in any publicly accessible database - even the calendars have ISBNs.

>bleached blond spikey geled hair
the slim shady year was a dark time in hair fashion

I have them packed away, but there's some party invitations, and I think I had some other junk like that, too.

Because while it's good++, it's not amazing. Merely being good does not get you recognition over time (sadly). Plus, it's a bit too short (could have benefited from about 8 more minutes, but production schedule was tight).

t. someone who loves the movie to bits.

The problem was the movie got bounced around a lot. Bluth didn't even have anything to do with it at first. It was just one of those things where Planet Ice had to get finished in the end, and some things suffered for it.

Nah Eminem was late 90s, I'm talking about the techno scene and punk

The liner notes to the limited edition score are the best place to learn about the production. I should scan it some time and put them up here so more people can learn about it

Or maybe I should get back on Facebook or create a second Twitter and share it there.

Well, thankfully, while the novelization didn't really have any pretense of being faithful with the final draft of the movie, the 2 prequels did. If you add those short books to the movie, and consume all that as a whole, it feels less unfinished.

In reviewing the deleted scenes they should have been kept in for both time and context.

Those things aren't junk, they remind us of what we've lost
>cue shower scene

If you could dig them out and post pics sometime I'd really appreciate it.

I don't think they treat Cale correctly, he's too cynical in the movie and his novel should lend him a little more optimism about the human race. But I haven't read them in a while.

The prequel novels explain it perfectly

>constantly squatting
>entire species has perfected asses naturally from just moving about

I know, they're perfect. And grumpy attitudes on hot aliens = dream come true.

Read them again, it's all consistent. The only thing that Cale really gains is appreciation for his adopted sister, and some hope that his father might be worth remembering.

From about 9 to 16 seconds is my favorite shot in the movie, something that could have been done with a multiplane camera, and it's followed by shots of extremely terrible CGI. It's very much an experimental film, trying to incorporate 2D and 3D animation and not quite succeeding.

youtube.com/watch?v=JQO8MTlO69U

I remember him fighting a bully on a drifter colony and running into Akima for a second. That experience is probably what lead him to call them "bums". You're probably right.

why the hell do I want to fuck the space kangaroo now. thanks

Look at our own planet right now. Do you blame the drej?

>nudity
wait, when?

ITS MY TIIIIIIIIIME TO FLY

I actually got into:
– The Urge
– Splashdown
– Bliss 66 (and the singer's later projects)
because of the songs CD.

It isn't much, but you see a little bit of Cale's butt while he's in the infirmary and a little bit of Akima when Cale surprises her in the shower.

Most of it is alternative music, reality denier.

>now
BOI

Thread theme:

youtube.com/watch?v=i0lgJqti_7Y

i feel 19 years younger

FOOT SOLDIERZ!!!

I hope Cale and Akima had a ton of kids.

No more than 4.

"Wanna help save the species?"

>I'm sure it'd be a hit if it was released today
I really doubt that

BUT I'M NOT BROKEN. IN MY DREAM I WIN. IN HERE I'M NOTHIN
A COSMIC CASTAWAY!

The Drej were cool and the 3D made them feel more alien

Attached: DrejQueen.png (1920x818, 1.99M)

The soundtrack was actually pretty based.

But you are right about Stith.

Stith>>>>>>Akima

It was pure 90's.

Akima was really generic looks and personality while Stith looked completely unique and had much more personality

>built for pistoning up and down on your penis

It needs to be a bigger cult film, and animators need to reference it more in their projects. They should draw toy Titans in backgrounds and use characters as extras.

It came out around the same time as the Star Wars prequels, The Matrix, Harry Potter, 7 The Lord of the Rings movies came out.

There's actually a few sci-fi/fantasy films that are pretty good, that got overshadowed by those series.

5th Element, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, & Lilo and Stitch.

While actually being more cartoony and less serious than Titan AE, 5th Element managed to gain a cult following with adults.

Then of course animated movies will be 2nd banana to Disney, even their more experimental ones. Lilo & Stitch being their most successful from that era.

>doesn't end with the protagonist fucking the Drag Queen and
wait what?

That's not what he said

It was funny how they were speaking a common language that Cale and Korso knew. Not THAT alien I guess.

I agree, they were my first taste of the "incomprehensible aliens" kind of creature and I felt pretty weirded out every time they were on screen.

They were one of the dominant powers around it seemed, so it was probably necessary to know how to understand what one was saying

the drej of society

Attached: Mordecai reacts to spider.png (194x194, 90K)

Where Are They Now? of the bands that added their work to the movie:
The Urge
youtube.com/watch?v=PNZAdbBnYLU
Splashdown('s singer)
soundcloud.com/universal-hall-pass/lyra
(and Anarchy Club and Symbion Project for the other 2 members)
Bliss 66......... morphed into Paper Street Saints, then into Half Light Music, which has too much mainstream pop and JESUS for my tastes

The technology of the Titan was what they were afraid of. The one that ended up eating them.

the most 2000 movie ever created.
It should be viewed on Windows Me with the lastest Real Player codec.

I love this movie. I like the visuals, the music, the atmosphere.

As another user already said, its a surprisingly mature movie for a western animation. You got that delicious Akima, earth explodes within the first five mins. Long story short, I love it, I wish there was more sci-fi stuff like it.

>dat cleavage

They completely got rid of it in the movie.

Why would they have? There's nothing special about movies like this in anime.

The artist clearly was going for "alien waifu." They toned done her sex appeal from her concept art.

>Titan A.E. thread
>Big ass Stith dump
Neat. Here's something I requested in the drawthread not long ago.

Attached: 1558048452249.png (1032x797, 353K)

Is she at a singles bar?...
Would buy her a drink.

Niasu

It's a painful loss, Stith should be stacked.

I saw a trailer for this in the theaters and it gave me one of the worst nightmares of my childhood about the Earth blowing up.

I remember catching it on TV at like 3am one night 3 or 4 years after it was released and was surprised how much I liked it after hearing pretty much nothing about it and only seeing a handful of merch when it was first released.

Couldn't find the party invites, but I did find the press junket and one of the stupider things I bought...over 200 of those coin machine stickers. Yeesh. I should hand most of these out for Halloween some year.

Attached: 20190825_100513.jpg (1000x486, 50K)

Attached: 20190825_100445.jpg (1000x486, 60K)

Attached: 20190825_095917.jpg (1500x729, 137K)

I forget where this one came from, but it's a Fox "3D Cell" that's pretty cool looking. I have an X-Men one too (first movie).

Attached: 20190825_100331.jpg (1200x583, 69K)

Attached: repeat that.jpg (400x297, 29K)

Not gonna lie, man, I'm a little jealous of all this tacky promotional garbage you got your hands on.

Also it's a fucking crime that this movie isn't on Blu-Ray. How is that even possible?

Attached: Stith6.jpg (853x363, 58K)

Can someone compile all these images into a .rar or something? Would love to have them.

>distributed by 20th Century Fox
>which is now owned by Disney
Yeah, that one might take a while.

Weird to think how all the Land Before Time sequels got great looking HD transfers while digital films like this and Cats Don't Dance get stuck in DVD limbo. I gotta wonder in what state the source material is in though, it might be pretty low res considering the era it was made in.

One of my top 5 favorite movies

That's so unfair, there's so many terrible things with blu-ray releases, but animation classics seem to get stiffed.

The whole earth destruction scene is kino, even if the CGI has aged like milk

Send me some before you do that, those are amazing.

Nah, pure late 90s/early 00s. Theatrical trailer had Vertical Horizon.

Westerners just cream their pants to anything animu.

All i know is You cant beat the Drej, They're pure energy.

BECAUSE IT'S
NOT
QUITE
PARADISE

Ironically they got beaten because they're pure energy

I still have some fastfood toys lying around somewhere.

A WEB-DL exists at least, which is better than nothing.

Attached: AE.png (1920x1080, 1.21M)

Oh, I didn't know about that. Curious.

Attached: Stith58.jpg (853x367, 53K)