There's 1 comic book shop in my city of about 100,000 people. It's in the middle of nowhere...

There's 1 comic book shop in my city of about 100,000 people. It's in the middle of nowhere, it's operating hours are bizarre and unknowable, it's shabby and rundown and the whole place just has a horrible oppressive atmosphere, like I'm intruding by going in and I shouldn't be there. Everything Is also massively overpriced. If this is how it is everywhere no wonder these sort of places are going out of business.

Attached: comic-1393153_960_720.jpg (960x544, 308K)

Do u live in Georgia user?
I have the same problem where I am.

It's the same with every independent comic shop, all over the world

Just buy your trades off Amazon. They'll cost half as much and you'll never have to leave your house.

>Amazon
>Half as much
Hah, no. Do you even /shelf/? CheapGraphicNovels and InStockTrades is the way to go. Besides they don't treat your books like shit, which is Amazon's most recurrent complaint.
Either way yes OP, generally speaking I'd say support your local LCS store as much as you could, but some guys run a business in the most elitist way and pretty clearly don't know how to attract costumers who are into the hobby (let alone casuals, aka the MAJORITY), so let them suffer.

You too, huh? Our only local place deals with used comics, and there's a foul stench because retards don't was their fucking hands. I bought some Sgt Rock once and the stench on my hands was so bad I needed to soak them in hot water and continually spritz with a lemon for hours.

Nah I'm in Newcastle. The Australian one not the British one.

I live in the biggest city in my state, about 260k people, and my 1 LCS is not far from a goodwill shop where homeless hang out.

However, the prices are fair, they give discounts if you buy a lot one time. I've found some gems that would have been crazy to buy online.

What's with nerds and basic hygiene? Jesus.

I fucking love living near Houston.

Attached: Capture.jpg (528x388, 45K)

I'm in Georgia and im surrounded by comic shops.

Whenever I say "support your local comic shop", there is the unseen caveat of "provided they don't run their store like an asshole".

Amazon is still cheaper

I read all my comics online for free. I used to go to my local comic shop because they sold Heroclix and did events every weekend. Owner overcharges for boosters, and got butthurt no one brought the first Star Trek set so he hasn't been buying the newer stuff in response. Fuck that place. They care more about yugioh and magic anyway ;/

My LCS is cool but filled with stinky nerds

Not really, they don't offer the nearly 50% discount across all their trades the way CGN and IST do, and they don't charge for shipping either, or the flat rate is menial compared to Amazon, where not everything (or most things) is in Prime.

Most comic shops aren't as bad as the one you described. But a common element is the atmosphere. They tend to be small and darkly lit. The shop owners are usually older white men which scares away current year racists and women. There's nowhere to sit and no real feeling that you can browse books at your own pace.

Ti be fair I just looked at asingle book that I've been looking to buy next, East of West year 2. Amazon is about $2 cheaper lol.

>current year racists
Why would neo nazis be scared of an old white man?

I've been going to my shop since I was 7, these guys have literally known me since before I hit puberty lmao. I've had a pull list with them since I was 12 so...17 years now? They DO overcharge for a bunch of their older backissues, which is why I generally wait for the twice-yearly sales they have where everything goes on HUGE discounts. They also run events all the time with trivia and local artists and stuff.

Best of all? I've rarely had to deal with an asshole in a situation where I WASN'T backed up as the wronged party, whereas at other shops it's basically ignored. And I mean bullshit like "this person literally takes a book out of my hands because they feel they deserve it more", not some argument about Marvel vs DC.

I like my shop. They're what I'm gonna miss most when I move to the northern part of the state next year.

>If this is how it is everywhere no wonder these sort of places are going out of business.

It's not. If anything, California has too many comic book stores. And they're all really great so it's hard to stick to just one.

They do have special offers from time to time, but then you also have to look out for shipping prices. Sometimes that little discount is lost once they add taxes and whatnot.

Not bad.

Attached: Boston.png (555x483, 176K)

>Comicazi, For Your White Hobbies!

My lcs also has an oppressive atmosphere and is overpriced. No lights, nothing but big two, claustrophobic isles of longboxes, cash only, everything twice as expensive as online retailers. Supposedly shops like this are more successful than the ones that are accommodating and comfy. This particular shop has been running since the 70s and stan lee visited it once.

Do these offer any sort of discount? I don't see how this business model in any form is able to compete with online retailers. At least physical bookstores often sell at the same prices and offer reasonable discounts for the purchases, but apparently 20-page floppies wanna remain expensive and inconvenient.

My theory is it's for floppy readers who don't know about online comic retailers or are scared of mail related damages or dont want to pay shipping for one or two items and are frugal enough to keep afloat and stay ahead of their backward bending local competition if it even exists. I'm sure if you're store is well lite, pays the bank fees for accepting debit on small purchases, and only has three isles of comics and a bunch of funkos you're not going to be doing as well as a zero electricity using condensed cosco of comics