What would you guys recommend for a beginner that wants to learn how to draw some fun, simple comics and cartoons?

What would you guys recommend for a beginner that wants to learn how to draw some fun, simple comics and cartoons?
I was thinking of picking up pic related

Attached: 816EwW2X8EL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1177x1500, 194K)

Everything. Picking up one book is worthless, study everything and everyone. At some point you will feel capable of not studying others, and you will begin to study yourself in your own work.

Christopher Hart is an untalented hack
Pick up Andrew Loomis' Fun With a pencil for free.

>pick your favorite cartoonist/artist/mangaka
watch/read all their shit, recreate some panels/shots/etc
>learn basics of drawing and animation (composition, focal point, line of action, squash and stretch, etc)
>eventually develop your own style
do this all while making your comic no matter how bad you think it looks
as long as you keep improving and innovating you'll have a winner on your hands
and you can always go back and re-draw strips if you feel the need once you settle into your style
never not make stuff

>Loomis

you can also go post on /ic/, which is the drawing/critique board
I feel like there's a huge gap between amateurs and professionals there though but it's always good to get feedback until you feel confident in the way you draw.
Just remember that perfectionism is a ball and chain and also that you simply cannot please everybody with how you draw especially if you are a cartoonist. Just be happy with yourself. Keep drawing and drawing and drawing.

Hart is a fine cartoonist. He just gets a lot of hate for his animu books.

This. Fun with a pencil is a great intro book.

Bridgman > Loomis
Loomis has good instructions on how to start drawing perspective shots. Bridgman is good with breaking down anatomy into simple geometric forms.

>never not make stuff
THIS

You people who rely on books and shit.
Honestly, OP, you could draw still frames from a VHS of your favorite 5 minute Bugs Bunny cartoon and learn a lot from that as a cartoonist.
Cartooning is about fooling people into thinking you know what you're drawing.

Post some art, OP. :D

The thing with making a comic is it adds learning how to write to the mix. And if you start off with a shit story which you probably will since you don't know how to write, what then?

Well, you have a lot of options.
>you can continue with your shit beginning and progressively improve as time goes on (Cerebus, WHOMP!, etc. - probably bad examples lol)
>you can pause the advancement of your story to go back and rewrite previous pages/strips with improved artwork (Ava's Demon/K6BD did this)
All in all do what makes you happy, desu. Just keep working.

NGMI

Attached: 1418084914717.png (422x364, 133K)

post the torrent, fool.

Go back to drawing old midgets, Loomincel.

/ic/ seems like the last place to go for constructive criticism because everyone there seems to forget the "constructive" part.

Post your work

fuck hart, do this
it'll take a while, but you'll be a step up from the faggots who get e-celeb threads

Attached: 1503379891530.png (720x2127, 1.61M)

>falling for that meme
You know it's a fucking shitter tier meme when it tells you to dive in 4 hours focused practice a day. Yes, more practice = improvement, but dumping too much practice on someone who has never drawn/hasn't drawn in a long time is the quickest way to burn them right the fuck out.

if you're not willing to dedicate time and effort to improve your craft, get the fuck out

I disagree. 4 hours of practice a day isn't even that much. Hell my life drawing classes are nearly that long on their own.

You have to filter it through knowing that everyone posting there thinks they're unrecognized hot shit. People that are able to explain their criticisms visually are worth listening to. People who just tell you "lol ur drawing sucks XD" are dumb. However, I'm self-trained and haven't spent more than 1 hr total on /ic/ ever. I think /ic/ is 90% full of wannabes. The professionals are only there to promote themselves, not help.

Gurney is the only worthwhile book on that list because his art is actually top notch and makes it a valuable art book.
Everything else on that list you can learn online and/or through real life drawing.

You need to build up to the 4 hours a day, dickheads. I fully agree that you should be putting as much time in to drawing as you can if you want to improve quickly, but telling someone to burn themselves out right off the bat is just fucking bad advice. Plus you need to consider scheduling as well. For most of Yea Forums that's not a problem, but for us wagecucks, trying to fir 4 consecutive hours of practice in is fucking retarded. You've gotta split that up and make a plan that works for you.

Solidarity
I am a moderately decent artist and don't draw but once a week
bitches who think you have to draw 24/7 to improve are ruining lives of beginner artists

No one said you can't take breaks. Most of those exercises in those books take a half hour tops anyway or can easily be incorporated into drawing classes

You'd improve faster if you drew every day.

>You'd improve faster if you drew every day.
Tell me how much I'd improve without you seeing what I actually draw.

You can improve regardless of the amount of effort you put in, as long as said amount isn't 0. How FAST you improve is based off of that effort though. So if you're only drawing once a week for an hour, that's 52 hours of improvement per year. But if you're putting in an hour a day for a year, that's 365 hours worth of improvement, meaning that it'll take you 7 years at your current pace to improve as much as someone did in a year.

Of course that's not to say that you aren't naturally talented, which obviously can change things. But this is taking two artists of the exact same skill level and talent level, starting at the exact same time with the exact same materials and having them go at it.

Also, there is a WRONG way to practice, which leads to stagnation, which leads to horribleness and failure all around. So even if you dump thousands of hours a year in to drawing, if you're literally practicing wrong you're just wasting all of that time with zero improvement. All you do is learn how to draw the wrong way, and get really fucking good at being bad. And usually by then you have your head so far up your ass, you can't admit you're wrong or even take constructive criticism to correct your mistakes and will forever be a trash tier artist.

I should know, I'm a fucking hack who is basically a human copy machine. I can copy specific things I like about art pieces, cobble them together, and make it work as a new image, but usually get called (rightly so) out for being a copycat hack. And due to chronic irl depression, it's extremely hard for me to pick up a pencil/pen/stylus and draw anything in general, even my hackjob works.

if drawing to improve, drawing every day is definitely the easiest way to do it
it's why challenges like Inktober exist, you draw every day for 30 days, and that's also why faggots who don't want to actually improve and just want to stagnate do it ahead of schedule or do it with ctrl+z

take, for example, drawing hands. easiest way to improve upon that is to draw it until you get it. if you were to draw it 10 times a day for 10 days, you'll have drawn 100 hands. as long as you were looking for what you did well on the prior drawings and try to redo what you didn't, you should be significantly improved on your hand drawing by the end of it

Wow, you're autistic.

I'm on Yea Forums. No shit, sherlock. You're literally preaching to the choir.

ITT left-sided brains

Drop contact info, I will teach you.

That's a pretty silly request user. But considering you said yourself you are only moderately decent, not good, you could probably focus more on those dreaded fundamentals. Everyone can always improve on anatomy, gestures, and perspective. Or better understanding light and shadow and rendering forms. Without knowing what you do, I can't really say much beyond that and any other professional would tell you the same thing.

Draw something today, whatever you want. Then take a half hour to an hour every day for a month to practice and then redraw what you did. It's going to come out better. And the improvements you make will have come faster than over the period of once a week practice. Drawing is exactly like working out. Doing it every day is going to give you strength and results faster.

I can say that because I see it with students all the time. Over the course of a week I see them improving and being more deliberate when we go back to gestures after taking a break from them. And comparing their beginning of the semester drawings to the ones at the end, it's almost like two different artists did them. Even ones that have come in already as decently skilled artists.

tl;dr

In case anyone’s wondering you can find PDFs of all these books easily, I just downloaded the three I didn’t already have
I’d recommend downloading the famous artist courses while you’re at it

pyw

Agreed.

Fuck all these projecting /ic/ hacks OP. Just rent one or two books from a library and start making dumb things for fun. You don't have to post them online or make a career out of it. If you want more books on subjects that interest you get those too and keep making stuff. It's just a hobby.

Attached: PNG image 16.png (2100x1500, 2.38M)

How do you guys bring yourself to actually commit to learning and drawing?

I have no hobby. Not that I am the kind of workaholic, who is incapable of doing anything with his time but applying himself industriously to the required task. But, as far as my activities beyond the bounds of my recognised profession are concerned, I take them all, without exception, very seriously. So much so, that I should be horrified by the very idea that they had anything todo with hobbies – preoccupations with which I had become mindlessly infatuated merely in order to kill the time – had I not become hardened by experience to such examples of this now widespread, barbarous mentality. Making music, listening to music, reading with all my attention, these activities are part and parcel of my life; to call them hobbies would make a mockery of them.
Incidentally the expression ‘free time’ or ‘spare time’ originated only recently – its precursor, the term ‘leisure’ (Muβe) denoted the privilege of an unconstrained, comfortable life-style, hence something qualitatively different and far more auspicious – and it indicates a specific difference, that of time which is neither free nor spare, which is occupied by work, and which moreover one could designate as heteronomous. Free time is shackled to its opposite...What is more, and far more importantly, free time depends on the totality of social conditions,which continues to hold people under its spell. Neither in their work nor in their consciousness do people dispose of genuine freedom over themselves.

for a free animation program, go with Synfig. Read WHILE drawing in order to weave the information into your practise. Really get your head into it. Wings 3D and blender are the best free 3D programs.
and it's okay to draw inspiration, it's not okay to worship the art, or the artist. critique and appreciate everything.

Attached: D1-OxHrU8AADjyk.jpg (2048x1868, 760K)

for me, it was a matter not of committing, but of realizing I was afraid of judgement and failure. I was told I was lazy, and the US is still stuck in a media-trope-loop of blaming morals instead of actually investing in introspection. After I got a diagnosis of Anxiety disorder and Depression, I got into self-therapy, Cognative Behavioural Therapy, and on prozac. My life has not kept to pace with most, but I'm doing a fuck load better than I used to be.
Motivation is natural unless there's an obstacle, and often we're in the dark until we see some light to compare it against.

homo

>afraid of judgement and failure
Yeah that's probably it.

Attached: oh.png (727x575, 218K)

your main thing right now should be to just google a few online tests for depression, anxiety, and personality disorders (the first two are considered personality disorder is servere enough and long lasting). The sooner you identify, and attack the illness, the less of your life with be stolen by it, and thus more time to actually live rather than moddle by in existence. It can get far better that you realize.

I went deep After I broke my leg, and was trapped inside over one winter. Also, I’m compulsive. Compulsion beats discipline every time.

Literally ngmi

You won't post your work because you know it isn't worth posting. You would improve and have work worth posting if you drew more.

By realizing I can't afford to pay an artist.

Anything can be a comic if you commit, it doesn't take art skill, look at LMAC for example.