RIP Richard Williams (1933-2019)

F

theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/17/richard-williams-acclaimed-animator-who-created-roger-rabbit-dies-aged-86

Attached: IMG_4642.jpg (1920x1152, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ct4Fg8R_VU
youtube.com/watch?v=gUOql_oIprc
youtube.com/watch?v=PcIl__X-nfo
umbrellaville.com/blog/re-the-lion-king-and-why-its-mediocre-animation-is-not-the-animators-fault
youtu.be/FsTnUDhONp4
youtube.com/watch?v=_EUPwsD64GI
youtu.be/RWtt3Tmnij4
youtu.be/iWAwfXsYMrA
vimeo.com/245652744
boards.fireden.net/co/search/text/tourist/page/1/
youtube.com/watch?v=iWAwfXsYMrA
youtube.com/watch?v=Aidc7gS1-II&t
youtube.com/watch?v=UKftOH54iNU
mega.nz/#!UdphnQ5B!8Gu_vOPW7hGTEXFm0SleXhlfGEz1XRKOI7SWaW23h2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=G78qA9oreNE
index-of.co.uk/Animation/The _Animator's_Survival_Kit.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=hDRMeeuP3F0
youtube.com/watch?v=dmluf-qVuyY
youtube.com/watch?v=NXiC5PkT3Oo
youtube.com/watch?v=QiZKqdWMJb4
twitter.com/_ibcf_/status/1162479106207862784
youtube.com/watch?v=KEdcOR179_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY
youtube.com/watch?v=_DwpTQ3CL90
youtube.com/watch?v=IOljPoMWy2o
youtube.com/watch?v=iNe5npkid-s
youtube.com/watch?v=_biMtzAxiy0
mega.nz/#F!jKYVVRZD!xWyv8TQEHUskjQTquQhHQA
youtube.com/watch?v=t_RwvvlGYIU
youtube.com/watch?v=yxh103itB2s
mega.nz/#!atAjBAyQ!aqTW_E0rf5NAN3FHC72yXcNY9gtCpZgMJXjcmfe_6yg
mega.nz/#F!UIESSQLB!NyUIcydIXcAVh6LPJYBnuA
youtu.be/gows7iOoqaU
vimeo.com/135202004
mega.nz/#!wNB3yK6B!DXEQsyUldM142Bi5LNt55s_S84e-dze7jVkf4SyOFgU
youtube.com/watch?v=YAwZadzszSc
youtube.com/watch?v=qo0W4qJsuag
twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1162848310060888064
cartoonbrew.com/rip/remembering-an-animation-titan-richard-williams-178353.html
youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FsTnUDhONp4
youtube.com/watch?v=fsxCIkN7Zy8
youtube.com/watch?v=cvdRtsMxjmc
youtu.be/hDRMeeuP3F0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: rip.webm (1920x1080, 515K)

>last project was jokingly titled "will I live to finish this?"
;_;

You might have confused a gif titled "R I P" with one titled the word "rip", as in ripping a piece of paper.

This mad man better get a sticky. He was a legend.

Fuuuuuuuck

F

The level of irony is BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION.

Damn, just when this year couldn't get worse. Official restoration of what remains of The Thief and the Cobbler when?

F
For the love of god please say psyche right now, dude.
YAMEROOOOOOOOOOOO

Attached: 1523470427902.gif (200x184, 1.68M)

Have my F

Attached: NLDHDT5.jpg (720x762, 65K)

Fuck Miramax.

oh fuck. i know he was getting on but this really took me off-guard. F

Interesting, I thought he was 96.

>will I live to finish this
Fuck life and its cruel, sick jokes.

Attached: sadness food.png (997x781, 488K)

F

>tfw I have his book.
F, Thank you for all your work Williams.

F

Attached: fuck.gif (500x375, 497K)

Deserves a sticky.
This dude pushed animation to it's limits.

Who?

>It's real

RIP the absolute GOAT.

Post your favourite Richard Williams animations

youtube.com/watch?v=1ct4Fg8R_VU

>18 replies
>no sticky

nu Yea Forums is the worst

F you crazy diamond, I’ll always treasure your hard cover of your book

he’s next

Attached: 8F848567-98AF-493B-91B6-2219125981F9.jpg (630x1200, 57K)

MODS FUCKING STICKY
THAT’S A BIG FAT F

STICKY THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW

youtube.com/watch?v=gUOql_oIprc

At least I bought the book two years ago. Get it while it's hot, it's probably gonna sell out or the price will inflate

Attached: 91uK3Ka8wmL.jpg (2163x2560, 540K)

If anyone one of you ever consisdered pursuing animation, buy his book, The Animator Survival Kit.

Either him or Eric Goldberg

F
He never got to do his version of their and the cobbler.

The film's not great storywise but it holds a special place in my heart.
youtube.com/watch?v=PcIl__X-nfo

Also mods, please sticky this thread.

Literally fucking who?

F

This needs stickying, lads. Huge F.

Nice try OP

>it’s real

F

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was in my top ten since childhood...

F

I just got this book for my birthday this week, oof. F to a legend of the medium

Fuck man
F
I haven't even got around to watching cobbler yet

F

Attached: 1555403756141.gif (498x258, 2.59M)

Rest this man's soul. I just bought his book.

He’s the best animator we ever had and ever will have, right?

Major loss. Will we ever see someone of his caliber and commitment ever again?

F

Down to the brass tacks hard working technical animator? Absolutely, no one was as good at the fundemantals of the art as he was, he literally wrote the book on it.

Ah hell
F

F

did he?

F
Real legendary man. Had a chance to see a screening of The Thief and the Cobbler in London November last year and Richard was there doing a Q&A. It was very surreal to be in the same room with the person that inspired me to become an animator and it was an enchanting experience to see The Thief and the Cobbler on a cinema screen. Richard did a very heartfelt speech before the film. After the film and the Q&A he was hanging around and I tried to get him to sign my copy of The Animator Survival Kit but he had to leave before I got the chance. I guess Ill never get that chance again but even then his work has left a legacy that will be remembered. Hope he has a great time with Ken and Milt in heaven.

Attached: Grim-Natwick.jpg (639x449, 98K)

RIP

F

Fucks sake, Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite movies of all time and as much as I want another Roger Rabbit movie, I know it'd be shit.

goddammit

F

a lot of the problem is that animator is not a fun position any more, most newbies would prefer to be character designers or storyboard since you get more creative control that way

related: umbrellaville.com/blog/re-the-lion-king-and-why-its-mediocre-animation-is-not-the-animators-fault

so long beautiful prince

I’m glad the respect is here.
I’m too used to music legends dying on Yea Forums and nobody caring or purposely trolling.

I hate how all the real animators are getting to that time. Soon the skill of 2d art will be lost like the skill of painting or sculpture.

His book on animation got me through high school and half of college. I’m very sad to hear he’s passed away. An absolute legend and an inspiration to animators everywhere.

See you space cowboy...

Attached: blue tulip.jpg (240x320, 10K)

RIP
The Persistence of Vision documentary is fantastic

youtu.be/FsTnUDhONp4
He literally was a master artist, who the fuck else can make something like this?

No it won't, there just won't be anybody left in the industry who knows it. There are tons of hobbyists out there with crazy talent. They just can't get into the industry because it's a closed off circlejerk.

Attached: 1560083616345.png (1364x1047, 2.03M)

F to the Animation God.

Now in the peace of heaven, he can finally finish his work.

Most of The Cobbler was completed after Roger Rabbit was successful. It didn't really take 20 years to make non-stop.

Attached: Tack.png (720x376, 397K)

The guy who animated Who Framed Roger Rabbit, zoomie.

They can't get into the industry because there is no western animation industry, we just send storyboards off to Korea. Really, your best bet would to be to go into advertising, it pays well and you can actually dictate the budgeting and work of your own product (assuming you're not part of a larger firm, but even then you'll probably do doing stuff in house.)

What's the best way to watch Thief these days? I saw a DVD of the theatrical release back in my animation college years ago, would love to see it again.

Pin the thread, Mods. We lost a talented veteran animator.

Attached: original.png (192x192, 11K)

sorry, wrong thread

Mods please DO NOT sticky this. We need to get the message across to these faggots that this is a /pol/ colony now

those people tend to have alientating personalities, though.

user means flash and 3d animations

>tfw I remember chris cornell died
I keep forgetting and it hurts all over again each time

Attached: think of all the people we mcfucking lost.jpg (450x450, 10K)

Why aren’t the mods stickeying this thread?

Attached: E0AC6E95-EEC9-4CD9-91DD-0B9DAC281ABA.png (441x841, 702K)

Sticky please.

Huge F.

big F
maybe i should finally stop being a lazy cunt and read the animators survival kit

Faggots all of you

F
a true Leaf

Dammit. I got a copy of Survival Kit when I was 11, and have loved animation and the craft ever since.

I followed him on twitter. I never got the chance to thank him. I'd always put it off, or forget.
God fucking dammit. RIP

Attached: 376940B9-5808-477C-ABA8-28FEF42E4B0E.jpg (225x225, 6K)

The Persistence of Vision documentary DVD has his personal workprint on disc 2 which was the copy he would show when he presented screenings over the last decade
The Recobbled Cut fanedit is more complete and better quality and for most purposes the recommended version to watch but I think it does include small bits of footage done after Williams was removed from the project as connective tissue.
>post Mangamaster
>it's easily one of his tamest pics
pussy

Jannies?

Because no one cares about animation as an art form any more.

Because Richard Williams was told by some art school teacher that kids aren't learning life drawing any more.

Because Art has to be Modern and Pop, none of this traditional stuff.

Because Real Art is some lesbian shoving speghettios up her cooter.

Because Animation is for kids.

Because we can't have nice things.

F

F

>Because Richard Williams was told by some art school teacher that kids aren't learning life drawing any more.
/r/ing that image.

I don't know how uch he was involved in that one:
youtube.com/watch?v=_EUPwsD64GI

Attached: 1498651003054.png (1752x6796, 3.63M)

F

Attached: 1427876277478.png (960x540, 278K)

Anyone of you faggots that keep pressing F are part of the reason the SJWs keep taking over cartoons. Grow up

>it's a Yea Forums cries about dead boomers episode

Why should I give a shit when they didn't even care enough to protect the industry? They're a big reason why we're in this dark age now.

Attached: 1565154461329.jpg (454x418, 27K)

It should've been you and not Mr. Williams.

F

F

it's a great resource, and filled with helpful/amazing drawings, tips, and a the handful of interesting stories at the beginning.

hoping that his teachings and work are treasured forever instead of being thrown out because he didn't say the right things

Attached: roger.jpg (1532x1242, 164K)

What should I get for lunch? I'm thinking Wendy's

Attached: 1508035 - Dana Maurecia MoMoIrO-kun Wayside.png (740x540, 86K)

fuck. rest in peace, such a goddamn legend. this really fucking sucks

youtu.be/RWtt3Tmnij4

youtu.be/iWAwfXsYMrA

I'll take the bait
He cared about the industry to the point where he trained people and made an entire book on the craft, well before others even thought of it. He wanted people to love the world of animation and push it's boundaries away from it only being a medium for children (and man children).

When I saw a presentation of The Thief work print back in November, despite being 85/86, Richard Williams was still amazingly animated and passionate. So sad he no longer will be creating great work.

Attached: 057.jpg (3264x2448, 897K)

A bit outdated, I'd say. Internet change the paradigm, quite a bit. Say what you want about online artists, but those who are serious about it have a much easier access to guides and the transmission technics and knowledge is much more easier.

You don't need art school to become good anymore. and anyone can see your portfolio.

Actually heartbroken
Feels like knowledge of the old era is dying

Same here. 86 is too young.

Where the fuck is the Sticky

If this doesn't get a sticky but fucking Spiderman trailers do I'm done with this mod team

its-not-its.info

>I am sad an animator has died F

Attached: NPC-header-1.jpg (640x480, 36K)

He's next bros. Sadly it doesn't matter anyway.

Attached: Don_Bluth_Animation_Tutorial.jpg (485x415, 42K)

He's next

Will he ever finish The Overcoat?

Attached: yurinorstein3.jpg (410x410, 27K)

True.

>He wanted people to love the world of animation and push it's boundaries away from it only being a medium for children (and man children).
Couldn't have failed harder if he tried.

F
Godspeed Mr. Williams, thank you for your contributions to tons of new aspiring animators and for all your work and dedication
Rest In Peace

You can complain about that for any thread about dead animator. You aren't really making a point.

vimeo.com/245652744

let's remember some of the classics

Attached: Captura.png (748x546, 237K)

le 9gag Yea Forums army has arrived

F

I'm just gonna spam this thread for a bit to reach Max post so this can get autosaged to page 10
Fuck Yea Forums

F

For pity's sake, don't give him the (You)s he craves.

>all this shitty bait ITT
>no sticky
the fucking state of this board

mods are too busy deleting threads about comics and cartoons

Most people here probably don't even remember when Yea Forums was actually good.

>another liberal propagandist is dead

OHNONONONOOOOOOO HAHAHAHHAHAHAN

They didn't even sticky Minnie's voice actor's death

Is this your first day here?

literally wasn't that but okay.

this board is just a bunch of tourists that watch the mcu and sometimes happen to watch cartoons. old Yea Forums is gone.

Attached: Blank+_84c60866d78ceece8e4ea04bed0b0c00.png (564x1086, 313K)

Tourist is a word that isn’t used here and I know that
Stop

>bunch of tourists that think it(s a safe place to complain about SJW in the mcu and sometimes in cartoons too
ftfy

What does the expanded edition add? I have an older copy.

Not him, but I see it being used here from time to time. I mean, it's just a normal word, all in all.

>Eric Goldberg
You shut your whore mouth. The man is only 64 years old. He’s still in his prime!

Attached: 7566C754-96D6-4F84-8377-BA1A00D91DDF.jpg (1024x683, 138K)

Fuck.

What about the Dragons Lair movie he wanted to make?

Why should I care about this guy?

RIP
Saw him at a director's Q&A of Roger Rabbit and Thief & Cobbler about 2 years back. It was nice to see these films in an audience (RR got a lot of laughs), and he gave a good talk after each film. They whisked him away pretty swiftly after the screening, which was a bit disappointing.

>ha ha yeah caring about stuff is fucking lame am i cool yet

Fucking summer kids

boards.fireden.net/co/search/text/tourist/page/1/

youtube.com/watch?v=iWAwfXsYMrA

I think he just worked up the money on kickstarter and pitched it with no takers.
The pitch leaked a while back and wasn't really done iirc, which isn't what you want in a pitch I am led to understand. The finished parts looked good though, they looked just like his older stuff which was really nice to see.

There is no way he’ll finish it without croaking

I don't blindly follow propaganda

Yes, I'm sure you're the most enlightened person in your middle school full of sheep

Thanks for the recommendation, user. I’ll def try to find it so I can watch it myself

youtube.com/watch?v=Aidc7gS1-II&t

Attached: 20FD83F9-3104-4A75-945C-11E2BA294239.jpg (297x353, 46K)

While I failed utterly in my quest to get into animation, I still have my copy of his survival guide. I've never stopped being in love with animation and doing my best to understand the fundamentals and principles, even if I can't draw my way out of a barn. The greats are all dying and I'm not sure what we'll be left with in 20 years or so.

Attached: 1565478636850.jpg (1920x1080, 584K)

Also true, and sadly so.

Better than Yea Forums when russi taylor died it was just sneedposts

You can rent it from Vimeo in HD but I'm ripping the DVD with Handbrake right now if anyone just wants to know the story behind Cobbler, will have it up within the hour

I beg to differ. Animation for adult is not widespread, far from it, but animation is clearly taken more seriously nowadays than it used to.

What the fuck is with my @nigget

F

Attached: hurtmeowmeow.jpg (552x552, 26K)

I can’t think of somebody more deserving of a Yea Forums sticky than this guy. This is low mods, even for you.

>says as the thread is stickied

REMEMBER ME EDDIE?

>this thread is now a sticky
well deserved rest in piece to a legend

Boy do you have to feel silly, now.

F

Sticky now, eat shit

It’s never too late to get into animation. Don’t give up on your dreams, user. If you REALLY want it, you’ll work for it!

Attached: 489D3604-47D5-41C4-ACE4-00006CB93D9B.jpg (713x566, 42K)

How come this piece of shit got a sticky and not my grandpa who died yesterday?

Shut the fuck up, i hate it when people cry everytime someone doesnt get a sticky thread within an hour of dying.

Who?

F
Williams was a madman. I don't remember how many times I've watched Roger Rabbit growing up or how many times I was impressed by the animation on The Thief and the Cobbler. Animating on ones is a pain in the ass, bless this man.

F

Attached: 1565681069135.jpg (1024x768, 119K)

>Thread stickied
Finally.
Well, look where you are now, boi!

Attached: 1524300075815.png (605x405, 39K)

Attached: f882ea912558c3642b0f1d05487308bc.jpg (800x591, 56K)

Chomet (triplets of bellevile) and James Baxter are still alive
>youtube.com/watch?v=UKftOH54iNU

Attached: 1507953217804.png (1752x6796, 1.31M)

>blocks your opus

Attached: miramax-700x525.jpg (700x525, 33K)

I'm sure Richard Williams inspired at least one person to love animation as much as he did.

i learned from him that gays have the same walk cycle as women. F

Attached: 1565650189359.png (600x626, 124K)

Attached: 43345464575.png (2000x2410, 48K)

Hey 86 is a pretty full life and he spend decades having his work beloved.
RIP

already posted

Insanely talented man.

He gave to much to the animation industry.

His legend will live on.

Attached: 1514470141035.jpg (1024x1024, 221K)

Why does it take so fucking long for anything to get done, are the people who run the website not actually on it? Is this the type of person who is so talented and powerful they get involved in multiple things and don't actually excel in any of them? What is with these shitheads

what did he do besides roger rabbit

Reminder, the sparkling effect are alos hand-drawn animated.

Attached: 0.gif (500x356, 989K)

the dvd videos are still easy to find.

Attached: weight.webm (500x332, 2.85M)

RIP

a christmas carol, others, and he personally trained James Baxter

fuck this gay earth

Attached: 1558100482974.jpg (720x518, 57K)

I couldn't find any of these. The DVD is OOP

I mildly enjoyed Roger Rabbit, and am aware of that my appreciation for his contribution to his artform is lacking in deeper understanding, I salute this man for the life that he lived.

Thief and the Cobbler, multiple Oscar-nominated/winning shorts, the Pink Panther intros, Raggedy Ann and Andy (lol), wrote the definitive book on animation techniques, and dedicated decades to a doomed crusade of making animation a more respectable medium

>sticky
About time, RIP you talent mofo

I meant in torrent sites.

Attached: 1565226727864.png (505x505, 223K)

pnada ded

this is really dumb. As someone who actually went to art school, there are piles of people doing more traditional and representative work, but said work usually sucks even worse than Cy Twombly wannabes. Just painting pretty shit isn't enough to get an actual good piece of art.

RIP

King-sized F. What an absolute legend.
May he rest in peace.

Travis Knight still exists

F
Jesus.....

Attached: busta.png (479x733, 289K)

F
This guy lived a long and accomplished life

He did not help by barely producing ANYTHING. His animation work on other people projects does not do jack shit, since he did not wrote any of it. You don't make animation more respected by over-animating children's cartoons.

F

>stickied
Thank you, mods.

>You don't make animation more respected by over-animating children's cartoons.
Those little moment is what make kids and even adult understand that animation is a beautiful artform.

>steals your life's work
nothin' personal, Dick

Attached: file.png (620x333, 306K)

Didn't even know he was still alive prior to this
F

>Steve Jones was too sick to do Jonesys Jukebox yesterday
Gonna be a shit week.

Aladdin was not created by Richard, you know.

If I live to 86 I will be furious

F

If you have even the slightest interest in animating you should check out his book.

Attached: Power_Over_People.webm (1920x1080, 2.12M)

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!

What's even in that book?

Who can't?

Did Stan Lee accidentally death note a bunch of people before he keeled over?

This is a sad day for the animation industry

F

I took a 3D animation class once and this was the text book

I still have my copy to this day

Attached: 1359344572622.png (543x308, 90K)

rest in peace

The Greedy is a textbook example of an eldritch abomination.

Here it is, Persistence of Vision, documentary about the making of The Thief and the Cobbler from 2012

mega.nz/#!UdphnQ5B!8Gu_vOPW7hGTEXFm0SleXhlfGEz1XRKOI7SWaW23h2Y

Attached: persistence-of-vision-film-poster.jpg (560x789, 213K)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

youtube.com/watch?v=G78qA9oreNE

This is one of those moments when you realize how rich the 20th century was as regards arts. How many new art forms were born and how they're dying in this cursed century

Attached: The 'Nam (1986) #1711.jpg (581x551, 78K)

"Western" animation is literally drawn by the same hands that draw anime nowadays.

f
guess i should finally go and see roger rabbit for the first time

We're not gonna have anything like him ever again, Yea Forums. It's just gonna be more cal-arts from now on.

Attached: 1552220799300.jpg (1280x720, 121K)

SNEED

F

F

Whoever just posted child porn your going to jail.

Attached: A668E266-BDEF-4DF8-BF23-772494D61DD2.jpg (660x574, 31K)

Just ordered the book, piracy seems disrespectful now.

Thanks, user.

Attached: 1304780632519.gif (400x400, 30K)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is my favorite movie, and I was lucky enough to see the most complete version of The Thief and the Cobbler presented by Williams himself. What could have been...

F

Ah shit.

He had an unreal talent for animating, probably the best in the world. Even his ads are so good that they’re more intimidating than inspiring to someone learning to animate.

I honestly can't believe this. He was one of the greatest artists of our age. May he rest in peace!

F

Enjoy getting banned for spamming lol

THANK YOU FOR THE STICKY

Yea Forums didn't give a fuck.

THIS MAN WAS A ANIMATION GOD (still is)

Why is this so sad? He was a very old man with too many major accomplishments to name and was approaching death. If anything this was a triumphant act against the end of his life and shows he wasn't afraid of it ending. He died doing what he loved; working on his passions.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

STOP THAT SHIT!!! HE STILL HAS MANY YEARS AHEAD OF HIM

I have his book about animation.

Attached: 41y+vpBqzJL._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (357x499, 26K)

F
one of the first to point out the retardation that was going on at artschools leading to a lack of talented animators

F. This man is the reason I know anything more about animation than moving a still image across a screen. God fucking speed, Williams.

Attached: 1550102018831.jpg (460x460, 19K)

He had many accomplishments, but all will be seen through the lens of that one he couldn't accomplish

he's one of the few animators that tried to keep this lost art from being lost and to make it accessible to other animators.

thats another reason why he's so great. Animators in general are really bad at teaching their craft, not richard though.

Fucking Hays Code....

He wanted to make people laugh one more time. That's commendable, even after death.

Attached: w9dgFatINF-hIvVgyS_ooKdpDs8DYw0Modjk9t4TL3A.jpg (900x900, 70K)

F

Don Bluth tries to do the same too.

I really hope Don survives to finish his next movie.

>When you do right

I kept seeing it around and I told myself I'm gonna pick it up someday and just never got around to it. Damnit.

>Couldn't have failed harder if he tried.
you act like we don't have a ton of cartoons today that have mature themes. of course mickey mouse will never have a lewd scene in an r-rated movie, but it's common consensus now that cartoons aren't just for kids or have to be censored, all-ages entertainment, even though they still make up a large majority of the industry. just because your highly-specific flavor of adult animated content isn't being made doesn't mean the wall hasn't been broken down and your average animation layman isn't much more open minded to what cartoons/animation can be.

In other unrelated news, Peter Fonda has also passed away

Wish someone would make a pdf or mega.

youtube.com/watch?v=dd5e1N9mWYA
He was the greatest animator of all time.

honestly
who cares. I already thought he was dead.

F
It's a shame that the thief and the cobbler was never truly finished.
Some of the greatest animation ive ever seen and has existed.

Attached: 1565309677410.jpg (570x754, 75K)

I think it's out there.
but
Get the hard copy bro, especially if you're trying to animate.

Its that guy fucking shit . I remember watching his video tutorials.

F

no one cares.
he was an asshole.

>my favourite animator of all time passed away and I didn't even know about it until now

What a fucking cursed world.

I'll still know him as an incredible source of creative energy who had passion to bone with many proud, completed projects under his belt all while furthering the education, enthusiasm, and craft of character animation. It's stupid to remember a master for not completing their final work when they have so many other defining masterpieces in their life's work. You remember Da Vinci as an artist for the Mona Lisa, not the unfinished canvas he left behind on his deathbed

>Williams, one of the most important animators on the industry with probably the best book for DIY animation passes away
>Gets a sticky even if it took long enough

>Peter Fonda, one of the most important contributors to current cinema since starring in the film that gave birth to New Hollywod along with Bonnie & Clyde
>Yea Forums would rather talk about Marvel and Collider

JUST

Attached: anger.jpg (306x423, 24K)

Here: index-of.co.uk/Animation/The _Animator's_Survival_Kit.pdf

Geez guys, its not like I'm saying Williams' death didn't matter...

The DVDs are for schools and libraries and shit. They cost an absurd amount.

Just steal 'em.

Thanks user.

This is why Yea Forums is superior to Yea Forums in every way. The mod is at least somewhat affluent in the subject this board hosts.

Attached: 1561912858610.gif (500x600, 1.71M)

>Richard Williams died in your lifetime
I want to go back, I never was able to meet the master.
Even for those run-of-the-mill ads he still put out some unparalleled work
youtube.com/watch?v=hDRMeeuP3F0

The destruction of the war machine in "The Thief and the Cobbler" is one of my favorite animation scenes.

youtube.com/watch?v=dmluf-qVuyY

>503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

I wish we had more antitobacco ads like this instead of blaring foghorn puppet shit

Stuff

Attached: 20190817_131754.jpg (3264x1836, 1.6M)

F

blessed post

Nice looking stuff.

F

Is Don Bleuth the last guy left?

FUCK
R.I.P.

Attached: 1509933485748.jpg (212x249, 5K)

Eh, never really cared for his stuff but I'm sure he changed a lot of lives with his work

did he die?

Any nudes?

Attached: Ron Ron.png (188x288, 94K)

Was he ever alive?

He isn't relevant though. A lot of people died today but this thread is for a specific person.

In all seriousness though it's a great book and a fun read, would recommend to any animation enthusiast and people who want to get into making animation of their own.
Yes.

Attached: 20190817_131810.jpg (3264x1836, 1.4M)

>Country and arguably the planet's best animator with the most used collection of animation lessons on the planet is gone

Fuck.

same, not really a fan of roger rabitt and prologue is meh.
I'll read his book now though.

Framed?

I hope we get to see it regardless.

what kind?

Now leafland really has no good animators left.

F

Tempted to stream Thief and the Cobbler tonight in memoriam.

Which one?

F
Animation has been long dead but this is a terrible loss.

Attached: 20190817_133311.jpg (3264x1836, 1.77M)

Yeah not really porn. Honestly porn is what warped me. Though real porn is bad.

RIP you beautiful man
I offer a shit quality webm

Attached: war.webm (450x253, 3M)

Hurts just a little

Attached: 1487185947601.png (436x407, 131K)

Too bad this ability and mentality is now lost since we outsource so much shit and people are only able to make stuff on a TV budget now. Hell, you can get away with not knowing how to do basic fucking camera movements in the program you're using.

Attached: 1565132392543.jpg (484x648, 74K)

Who the fuck learn life drawing from a dead person anyway?

wat does pan mean ?

A camera pan. The camera moves.

Sideways camera motion

F

>dies from a stab to the dick
heh

rip don bluth, creator of 47 land before time sequels

Attached: delete this.png (734x420, 505K)

well the taint really
still no fun

F

youtube.com/watch?v=NXiC5PkT3Oo

youtube.com/watch?v=QiZKqdWMJb4

Hands down, the greatest animator who ever lived.

RIP

This was already outdated when it was written. In the VERY NEXT SENTENCE, he says things have gotten a lot better since then, but now students have the opposite problem - they care more about sticking to realistic movement than taking artistic liberties, which is exactly the opposite of what Yea Forums tries to use that image to imply.
Keep in mind, that incident he talks about was in the 80s, before the Disney Renaissance.

Attached: 1543699111261.png (539x489, 240K)

Damn

Attached: Kira.png (1366x768, 656K)

F

honestly true

The world is poorer for his loss.

Attached: Prologue (2015) 01.webm (1280x720, 459K)

Assuming this is an older version of Toon Boom, making the camera pan is so easy a fucking dog can do it, well the version I use anyway. A simple Google search for a tutorial would help this idiot.

Attached: Prologue (2015) 02.webm (960x540, 2.47M)

His commercial work is honestly amazing. One of the things I dislike about modern television is that you no longer see a lot (or any, really) beautiful hand drawn animation in them anymore. It made commercials worth watching just for the craft put into them alone.

I'll definitely miss is works definitely, the pink panther animations were definitely a favorite of mine when I was little and of course thief and the cobbler is an underrated classic that unfortunately got cursed by executive meddling, still at least the original came out in some shape and form. Gone but will most certainly never be forgotten, especially inspiring thousands about animation techniques. Big F right here.

What the fuck was that girl at the end

Why look for the answer in two seconds when you can spend two minutes making a funny doodle so your boss laughs at how dumb and relatable you are ha ha

>Proceed to give everyone cancer with his X-ray vision
Thank you, Superman.

Sad day for the animation community. Damn what a legacy to leave behind though R. I. P

Imagine hentai work in this fluid motion.

Yea Forums and /ic/ also constantly like to show that picture of LeSean Thomas and Bruce Timm saying how they didn't need school to do animation.

While forgetting that they either come from very rich families with a lot of network or, in the case of LeSean, had a family with artistic upbringing that was more than welcome to teach them their fundamentals

I'd be too busy staring in awe at the sheer majesty of it to get aroused tb h

F.

F

Also, Bruce Timm is the polar opposite of Williams. Williams was one of those guys that wanted to put as much work and detail as possible into his work, while Timm is very much about using as few lines as possible and keeping things very minimal, usually to a fault. People would question Williams why he bothers to put as much extra work into his art as he did, and to him the answer was pretty obvious. Because the more work and effort you put into it, the more convincing and beautiful the final product will be.

F

>shadman

Its a dang shame, it looks like I'm watching roger rabbit tonight

Williams was a well-known perfectionist and wouldn't compromise on anything in regards to projects which is one of the many reasons why Thief and the Cobbler was never completed.

>In the VERY NEXT SENTENCE, he says things have gotten a lot better since then
care to post the extract, please?

>wouldn't compromise on anything

Much respect to him. He's an anomaly in this modern world where everything has to be as cheap and cookie-cutter as possible. We need more like him.

its supposed to be based on an ancient Greek play(?) where the women withhold pussy in an attempt to get the men to stop going to war.
How they thought this would work on the Greeks is a bit of a mystery

>Lately things have improved somewhat. So-called classical drawing seems to be coming back, but with a hyper-realistic approach because skilled artists are thin on the ground. Shading isn't drawing, and it isn't realism.
>Good drawing is not copying the surface. It has to do with understanding and expression. We don't want to learn to draw just to end up being imprisoned in showing off our knowledge of joints and muscles. We want to get the kind of reality that a camera CAN'T get. We want to accentuate and suppress aspects of the model's character to make it more vivid. And we want to develop the coordination to be able to get our brains down into the end of our pencil.

Attached: 1524959156876.gif (250x250, 531K)

Actual oof.
Is this how it felt like when Walt died?

To all those who study animation...
Will YOU carry on his legacy?
Or will you become a noodle armed CalArts Baby?

The best you're going to get is the work of Satoshi Urushihara in "Plastic Little". His hardcore work in "Another Lady Innocent", while still remarkably competent for the genre, is sadly much less fluid.

Attached: Plastic Little - Tita Suits Up.webm (640x480, 234K)

yeah, the same way Wile E Coyote dies every episode.

If there were a Mount Rushmore for animators, Richard Williams would be one of the figures enshrined.

Thanks.

The CalArts babies you speak of can't even draw, though. The reason they're animators is that technology has come so far that even people with very minimal artistic talent or skill can get work in animation.

Unfortunately.

>CalArt
Reminder that THIS is what you complain about when you use that term.

Attached: 0.jpg (720x405, 32K)

based truthteller user

Because a 30 year old show is indicative of modern animation standards? okay, that makes sense.

No, it's not. It's this.

Attached: 1526768798439.png (666x713, 40K)

>The CalArts babies you speak of can't even draw, though.

Attached: 0.gif (500x280, 1.88M)

I guess i should have put quotations around the word "CalArts babies". Clearly what the user was talking about is the modern trend of having everything look like it came off an assembly line and made as cheaply as possible.

F
I already have his animator's guide book. I'm going to school next week and aiming to become an animator. I hope his legacy is remembered, Roger Rabbit's a classic

This.

Modern cartoons are garbage, but it isn't one school that's to blame. It's capitalism and greedy corporations that deserve that honor.

>Because a 30 year old show is indicative of modern animation standards?
No, but it's the style the term design.

Wrong. John K. Is the one who coined the term CalArt and it was precisely to complain about the style of the Tinytoons and animaniacs.

Attached: 0.png (510x549, 240K)

I thought Eric Goldberg animated this

F

Attached: thinking_skeleton_tile_coaster.jpg (630x630, 83K)

seeIT's not. What you are complaining about is the curent main trend, that's it. It's not more manufactured tan the previous decades.

>mfw seeing Garrett Gilchrist (ex-pal of RLM and the guy who's been restoring the 'Recobbled' cut for the last 8yrs) jumping into every conversation about Williams today looking for attention

Thanks for the work, but at the same time cool your jets and have a little more tact, dude

Attached: 1494083086375.jpg (597x615, 161K)

The only current main trend is to make it as cheap as possible. Whatever the next trend will be will be dictated by even cheaper and quicker methods of shitting out garbage animation.

john k whined about williams work lacking 'appeal' numerous times, probably while seething with a jealousy erection

F

>The only current main trend is to make it as cheap as possible.
>as cheap as possible.
>current
Man, it was always the main trend.

I want to carry on his legacy

That's funny because Williams didn't even have a single style. Every single one of his works looks vastly different from the other. He's even done animation in the "Rob Scribner" style that John K. fawns over so much.

Yes, and technology has made it so that it can be made even cheaper. And cartoons 10 years from now will have even cheaper methods, leading to even shoddier output. And the cartoons made 10 years after that will be even shittier. And so on. And so on.

Rebecca Sugar didn't go to CalArts.

John K has bad opinions and is a pedophille who grooms children, so I don't care, maybe he can fuck off and go make rubber hose Boku no Pico animation or something.

>Because Real Art is some lesbian shoving speghettios up her cooter.
son of a cunt I thought you were joking

Attached: 2019-08-17_15-33-12.png (1707x870, 87K)

cartoons today are pretty good compared to the cheapo 70s. at least characters move and aren't rigidly adhered to model sheets.

>Yes, and technology has made it so that it can be made even cheaper(...)
>leading to even shoddier output.
Sorry man, the two don't correlate. That things become less costly to make, doesn't forcibly mean a dip in quality.

Attached: duele.jpg (270x504, 63K)

she knew what emotions she wanted to elicit and succeeded. that makes it an artistic success.

And neither did most of those being complained about making calArt cartoons.

twitter.com/_ibcf_/status/1162479106207862784

I disagree actually. Cartoons of the 70s were cheap, but they were still drawn by skilled artists who were trained in the classic style. The same folks who worked on the classics in the 40s and 50s worked on the awful trash of the 70s. And you can still see their style and craft in the extremely limited animation. Modern cartoons don't even have that luxury. It all just looks like it was made by artists with very limited understanding of form, composition, or anatomy, and crapped out on some cheap program using templates. It's more akin to puppet animation than the limited hand drawn methods of 40 years ago.

Oh come the fuck on dude, at least cartoons these days fucking animate.

>Sorry man, the two don't correlate. That things become less costly to make, doesn't forcibly mean a dip in quality.

Vehemently disagree on this. The proof is in the pudding. If cheaper methods are available, corporations will utilize them. And if cheaper labor is available, corporations will utilize those too. It's all about saving cents.That's not just animation, that's everything.

Well he gave us many laughs and great moments, he can finally rest now.
RIP

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

youtube.com/watch?v=KEdcOR179_Q
(animation done by a fan of his work)

i can't agree there user. if i want something pretty that almost never moves, i'll watch anime.

Attached: gorillaz2.gif (374x417, 2.33M)

>at least cartoons these days fucking animate

I disagree, but it's likely we have very different standards.

ooh i remember this. fun!

>Vehemently disagree on this. The proof is in the pudding.
Literally the opposite cheap cartoons today look better than cheap cartoon in the past. So the opposite is happening.

All you have done in this conversation thread is make baseless complains and move the Goalpost.

>Cartoons of the 70s were cheap, but they were still drawn by skilled artists who were trained in the classic style.
No, it was cheap ass garbage.

god damn

>If cheaper methods are available, corporations will utilize them
Beside the point. That things keep getting cheaper doesn"'t mean the result will get shoddier.

>Literally the opposite cheap cartoons today look better than cheap cartoon in the past.

Disagree. Completely.

>No, it was cheap ass garbage.

Yes, it was. But what I said is 100% true.

What a shitty year were having

I equate cheap with shoddy. Cheaper in my eyes will always mean a lack of effort and done to save money. And that is an inherently bad thing when it comes to art. Maybe it's a good thing if you're into marketing or if you're a CEO looking to save dollars on labor. But the final product will always look better if more effort is put into it. It's very strange that that's even a controversial position to take, but that's the world we live in now, I suppose.

>Disagree. Completely.
Just look at hannabarberra or any cheap cartoons, because better tools come into play, the quality overall improve. that's inevitable

>But what I said is 100% true.
Seeing cheap cartoon today look better than hannabarbarberra, no.

Honestly 2019 has been one of the worst years of my entire life, particularly this past summer. Every bad thing that could have happened, has.

Oh brother

Attached: 7ACCB011-D7CD-45E3-B1BF-51937D79A89D.jpg (557x495, 93K)

>I equate cheap with shoddy.
Not the same thing.

But modern cartoons look exactly like Hanna-Barbera cartoons, only drawn by lesser artists without proper education and with a computer program filling in the in-between frames.

youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY

user pls

feels like everything has gone screwy around 2016 and we never got it back.

Attached: bobbing along.gif (480x358, 474K)

Harem animes need to end like what happened to the King of the OneEyes

>But modern cartoons look exactly like Hanna-Barbera cartoons
False.

>by lesser artists without proper education
Most animator currently have a good education of animation, if only thanks to the internet. What Richard complain about was pre-90's

>and with a computer program filling in the in-between frames.
Not always the case and when it come to cartoon with bean-mouth, it's usually not.

>Harem animes
Man, it reached its peak and went back down around the 00's.

That looks amazing, but it's an outlier. Certainly not the kind of thing you'll see on television in any normal capacity.

You CAN do terrific looking animation using modern tools. But it still requires exactly the same amount of time and effort in making it look good as the older tools did. The only thing modern tools do is allow for production costs to go down. It's not modern tech that's to blame, it's greedy corporations taking advantage of the convenience of that tech. Certainly, there has been good work done using modern tools. The new Looney Tunes shorts certainly look like they were made with a lot of love and care by people who understand the craft.

I hope that's the beginning of a trend, but I'm not holding my breath.

no. the whole "I saw that word after googling so it changes the usage there" is you proving how ignorant and uneducated on the subject you can get.

No. John K. made the term to complain about 90's cartoon.

>False

Sorry, but the stuff that's played on Cartoon Network looks exactly like Yogi Bear, Hong Kong Phooey, and The Smurfs in stills. I can not tell the difference other than the fact that the cartoons of 50 years ago were anthropomorphic talking animals with ties and the cartoons of today are all children with very large heads.

Who else is rewatching the Recobbled Cut today

Attached: 1543709994709.png (1029x454, 299K)

a more generous comparison might be the mickey mouse show

animaniacs and cuphead show are coming out soon, so those should be a step in the right direction

>Sorry, but the stuff that's played on Cartoon Network looks exactly like Yogi Bear, Hong Kong Phooey, and The Smurfs in stills
It objectively doesn't.

digital animation will never surpass cel animation

>calarts lives on

a good idea user.

I'll give you a MAYBE.

>cuphead show
Umm. That's a videograme

As bad as TTG is, you would never see HB cartoons pull this kind of animation.

Attached: 0.gif (500x280, 392K)

I don't think most kids even understand that someone else even drew those shows.

F
;-;

There were a lot of factors that fucked over Golden and Silver Age animators, including the Hays Code enforcing a lot of censorship that killed Fleischer Studios (though WB and MGM cartoons did skirt a few things under the Code Wall), the rise of television, the death of Walt Disney and his studio entering a Dark Age following suit, the Me Generation in the 1970s meant cartoons were in limited in supply at least in the U.S., the new wave of anime gradually invading the U.S. airwaves and animation companies outsourcing to Japan to adapt and survive the '80s

>he doesn't know

Attached: image001__1_.jpg (1400x1400, 223K)

It won't but it could if done with the same amount of care. The limitations are in the animator not in the tools being used. Modern tools can be a good thing if used properly, but more often than not they're used as a crutch.

What emotions did she want to elict?
Hate? Depression? To see art as a lost cause and user should just go into porn because nobody's going to care about stupid cartoons?
To get the world's first gamergate-situation where both sides demonize eachother as
>Women are able to get things easy because of their bodies
>Yea Forums are a bunch of rabid cultists worse than Scientology
Is that what she wanted? Why did it take her getting hacked the first time to set up a fake account to deter trolls then?

Attached: 2019-08-17_15-59-34.png (1597x833, 73K)

That looks terrible. It looks like it was animated by a computer program. And it likely was.

>Hate? Depression? To see art as a lost cause and user should just go into porn because nobody's going to care about stupid cartoons?
it's nilhism art so yes

I prefer the South Africa cut. I can -get- the logic of the Recobbled Cut, but dear lord it shows the film needed an editor. The war machine just never ends.

F

Attached: 1563208994204.jpg (645x773, 166K)

That's like saying pointillism will never surpass aquarelle.

They are simply two different style of animation.

The 2010s have been the worst decade for everything Yea Forums-related.

the movement is solid even if you don't like the art style

And it still look better than the best animations of the 70's HB cartoons.

I don't like the movement. It looks lifeless and robotic. Like something inhuman created it.

post something better done in the 70s if you can

DELET THIS

Attached: 1559762081466.jpg (501x501, 31K)

>Johnny Ryan
The Prison Pit guy?

Anything. Scooby-Doo.

Russi Taylor never got a sticky. At least that thread went to bump limit regardless.

Post it, then. Something better animated.

Jabberjaw.

Just watch the intro on YouTube. Or something not from the intro. Literally anything. The Chipmunks. Those awful Droopy and Mighty Mouse cartoons made by Filmation. Kwicky Koala. The Robonic Stooges.

>animated by a computer program
That's the future of animation, sadly. No humans, only an IA

F
F as in FUCK!

I think he means Thief and the Cobbler

I know it. There will one day be computer programs advanced enough to create lifeless, terrible cartoons without the aid of humans. And I'm sure there will be idiots who can't draw who will defend it.

An intelligent ape? That's a human, you know.

He's 81 now, so he might have a some years left in him if his health is good.

The '70s were painful for U.S. kids. Meanwhile anime started to evolve.

He called Animaniacs and Tiny Toons "fake cartoons". He used "CalArts" for Disney and Disney inspired styles (because Walt helped establish CalArts)

R.I.P

rest in peace

He doesn't time anything like a 1940s cartoon though. Richard Williams avoids holds in favor of inbetweening much more like a soviet era animator but unlike soviet animators he adds tons of secondary action to embellish the animation.

People are already saying that the new Looney Tunes shorts look off because the animation is too good, like Andy Merrill Space Ghost dancing with two left feet versus a ballad dancer in a Space Ghost suit preforming beautiful choreography

I don't think so. I think kids of the 70s ate that garbage up just like the children of today eat modern shit up. Kids don't have very high standards until they reach a certain age or reason (or until they realize the Bugs Bunny cartoons shown in-between 'SuperFriends' and 'The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan' look a thousand times better and were made decades earlier).

>Just watch the intro on YouTube.
Intro got more Budgets and you kow. and you still even posted a 70's HB animation that look better than Sorry, but is wrong TTG look better than any cheap 70's HB cartoons.

>'SuperFriends' and 'The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan' look a thousand times better and were made decades earlier
No, they don't. at least not in term of animation.

F

>TTG look better than any cheap 70's HB cartoons.

That's your opinion. It's wrong, but it's your opinion.

>It's wrong
It isn't. And I am still waiting for something better animated.

You don't think the Warner shorts of the 40's look a thousand times better than SuperFriends?

Are you even arguing in good faith?

Shieeeeet

Attached: surprised kot.jpg (656x1024, 112K)

I can't think of anything that looks worse than what you posted, frankly.

>Just watch the intro on YouTube.
youtube.com/watch?v=_DwpTQ3CL90

Please tell me what's supposed to be impressive here.

Nothing. It looks like cheap shit, just like everything else from that decade. It's just better than the crap you posted.

Attached: Mach-One-v02-038.jpg (461x645, 77K)

F

Easy.
reminder, we are not talking about style or design, but animation.

Attached: 0.gif (500x234, 305K)

youtube.com/watch?v=IOljPoMWy2o

Did that cat ever appear in any episode?

Works for me.

>tfw the post I've ever gotten the most (you)s for had to result in someone dying.
This ain't right.

F F F

Attached: source.gif (256x192, 145K)

Rest in piece, great animator.
To anyone interesed in animation, Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut, its a must to watch. Mark 4 is the most complete and all, yes, but besides that, in my opinion mark 3 of the Recobbled cut had its plus like better music choice and credits; even if small, its worthy to watch it too. Not sure if easily availiable now.

Yeah, it finally downloaded.

-Are those human lips?
-I was-
-Whose lips are those?
-I was told it was a new process.
-Oooh, new process.
-A breakthrough.
-And what would that new process be, Mr. I? Cheap-O-Rama?
-This is breaking through.

Damn. I'm actually really upset about this. Rest in peace, you fucking legend.
Guess I should buy his book now before the price goes up. Been putting it off for too long.

Hanna-Barbera cartoons are filled with exactly that kind of looping dance animation. Usually to fill up time. It wasn't impressive then and it's not impressive in that example either.

86 is a pretty decent age, late 80s is usually right before your body just starts to fall apart from the ravages of disease and age for most people.

This has just been a whirlwind of a month.

Attached: 1565632291919.png (1363x768, 329K)

the show's animation is 1000 times worse than that 98% percent of the time

>Hanna-Barbera cartoons are filled with exactly that kind of looping dance animation
Find me one with this level of animation.

Gah. Clutch Cargo

This is true, but with the HB cartoons, at least each individual frame was drawn by hand by a human being and not drawn using the shape tool in Toon Boom with the in-between frames automatically filled in by the program.

Why do you find that impressive? It's not anything any kid can't do using a basic Flash program.

Didn't Billy & Mandy made a reference to this?

So long, Rich. Animation won't be far behind you.

ok

Attached: the one in skooks looked awful though.gif (720x540, 2.84M)

>at least each individual frame was drawn by hand by a human being and not drawn using the shape tool
user, each frame there was likely drawn by humans too. Stop defending the shit HB was pulling.

>lol I'm incompetent isn't that funny haha

Attached: 1559795575722.jpg (770x435, 51K)

This looks more impressive than
That user is trippin' balls.

Attached: piledriver.gif (500x374, 719K)

>Why do you find that impressive?
I am not saying it's impressiven but some delusional moron is trying to push the idea that 70's HB did better animation than what CN is currently doing. And it couldn't be more false.

I do'nt want to trash HB completely, they had their reason, but it has to be recognised that in term of animation, 70's HB was the lowest point.

>Stop defending the shit HB was pulling.

I never would defend HB. Nor would I defend the modern equivalent of HB (anything on Cartoon Network).

Attached: whatever the hell this was looks better too, and i'm sure it was made in the cn years.gif (340x256, 694K)

not today

Attached: 75.jpg (479x271, 61K)

(You)'s come at a high price

RIP Man

Got his animation book. Truly is wonderful.

It's the exact same shit. There is literally no difference other than the fact that a computer program was used in place of drawing it by hand. I think you're just attracted to lifeless, robotic looking animation is all.

It's not about defneding, but pretending it is better like
>but the stuff that's played on Cartoon Network looks exactly like Yogi Bear, Hong Kong Phooey, and The Smurfs in stills. I can not tell the difference
Is trying to do is straight bad faith.

>but it has to be recognised that in term of animation, 70's HB was the lowest point.

It is, but in terms of TV animation, today is pretty close.

Some literal whom

>It's the exact same shit.
It isn't. The animation is objectively better.

That quote seems to be saying that both are the same, not that one is better than the other. Stylistically, they're not wrong.

Remember kids, television animation always had lower budgets even when it first started
Looney Tunes had a much bigger budget than any H-B show, plus H-B shows had to fill up 10 minutes at least, while Looney Tunes got away with being a few minutes.

Attached: 9 elven.gif (320x233, 761K)

If you think a computer program filling in the animation frames to achieve a greater sense of lifeless "smoothness" is better than doing it hand drawn frame by frame, your taste is objectively shit.

HB is objectively worst.
>If you think a computer program filling in the animation frames
Irelevant. It still is better aniamted. also, that sequence in particular is clearly not auto-filled in by computers

>is better than doing it hand drawn frame by frame
that anilation in qeustion was clearly drawn frame by frame. Even if it is a short loop.

True. The only thing limited animation has to succeed at is efficiency innovation and have a pleasing design within those constraints. Comparing the quality of theatrical animation to television animation is like comparing a McDonalds to a 5 star gourmet restaurant. They're operating on completely different budgets with completely different intentions and goals, even if they both serve food and are restaurants.

Do you also like leaving the automotion filter on on your TV?

>HB is objectively worst.

Please. There's even animation companies from the 70's that had worse output than H-B on their worst day.

And besides, for all intents, the stuff being done at Warner and Cartoon Network today *is* Hanna-Barbera since it's the exact same studio since they bought them and merged with them.

>Do you also like leaving the automotion filter on on your TV?
you keep using the same argument despite pointed out severzal time it's moot in this case.

>There's even animation companies from the 70's that had worse output than H-B on their worst day.
Beside the point,, today's show are still better animated.

>the stuff being done at Warner and Cartoon Network today *is* Hanna-Barbera since it's the exact same studio since they bought them and merged with them.
Hence why I was talking about the 70's cartoons.

It's the whole "it was better before" mentality that is stupid. No it wasn't.

It's hard as dick to do right, but it can be done.

Attached: lord hared.gif (400x225, 1.65M)

RIP

Will somebody ever finish The Thief and The Cobbler the way Williams wanted?

the fuck are you talking about.
Show me something that i should be watching instead of Men in Black right now.

I still have all those videos from his animation lessons.
>tfw have been slacking off and haven't finished them nor practicing
This actually goes great with this
youtube.com/watch?v=iNe5npkid-s

Attached: 1541327408993.jpg (400x450, 26K)

>It's the whole "it was better before" mentality that is stupid. No it wasn't.

Depends on the decade. If we're going strictly by TV stuff, I'd say

90s > 00s > 80s > 50s/60s > 70s > today

Obviously, the only jump in quality was the renaissance period and it was a slow decline. Whatever bump was achieved 30 years ago has completely subsided, however and we are back to around 70s level garbage.

youtube.com/watch?v=_biMtzAxiy0

What are you guys arguing about now again? This isn't the thread for it.

>> 70s > today
See this, that's objectively wrong. in term of quality of animation 70's is forever the worst era.

aNd you still have failed to provide a 70's HB cartoon better animated than TTG.

Richard Williams' principles, basically. More time and effort = better. Some disagree.

>strictly by TV stuff
>> 70s > today
And you are a moron again.

80's animation was just as shitty as the decade before. Modern animation has way more frames then all previous decades.

70s were the worst until the last 6-7 years. Then they were overtaken. You can do worse than 70s. The 2020s will be even worse than the 2010s.

>Cuphead's eyebrows
Fix it. NOW!

The 80s should really be split up into two sections

The early 80s (1980-1986), which were largely the same as the 70s, with some Japanese animated shows thrown in leading to a slight bump in quality, and the late 80s (1987-1989), when Disney and WB entered the TV market and started creating superior content.

They have it for ipad as well and it's nice because all of the video examples of techniques are embedded into the app.

Attached: wrajust.png (672x458, 290K)

>The 2020s will be even worse than the 2010s.
No, they won't.

>And you are a moron again.

Only a moron would defend terrible, lifeless, robotic looking animation. I swear you must be some executive defending his shitty company or something.

Oh man...

Attached: 1558494178418.gif (451x322, 736K)

I can guarantee that they will be worse, and I can also guarantee that you'll probably still defend the ever-dropping standards in TV animation just the same.

It's like Tezuka wanting to keep working and try to finish Phoenix while on his deathbed.
And here I am doing nothing with my life

Attached: 1561588152094.gif (584x480, 1.5M)

Animation is only getting better you nostalgia boomers just hate the style or your jealous of the show creators success?

I may find some way to rewatch Who Framed Roger Rabbit tonight.

All right, user. You just keep on sucking that corporate dick. Your favorite company's shareholders will certainly be grateful to you for it.

Yea Forums needs to save the animation industry

There's no saving it at this point. Like the Roman Empire, it needs to collapse completely so that a successor can rise from its ashes.

Who?

Ah shit man, that hurts

Attached: Skeleton2.jpg (736x550, 135K)

animation doesn't die user. animation is a form of art, and art can not die. art can become less popular, but it will always be there in some form.

The Roman Empire never recovered after its collapse, user.

RIP to this fucking legend of an animator

Why are there children posting in the Richard Williams thread about Teen Titans Go being better than older animation? Take that shit to another thread you worthless brats.

2D animation is film is either nonexistent or done by machine learning programs (Into The Spidervese's wrinkles on character's faces)
I'd say the animation quality is overall better, but the best of the 70's vastly outshines today's best (counting anime is pushing it though)

Attached: shoopy.png (540x300, 183K)

Framed Roger Rabbit?

I'll say this, it's better animated than Clutch Cargo, but Clutch Cargo, outside of the scary mouths, has the better designs

Attached: animamamia.gif (400x267, 193K)

>or your jealous of the show creators success

Now I'm curious to know what shows you work on, lol

When are we getting an animation resurgence , when the economy gets better?
That's what kickstarted the craze in Japan in the 80s.

Attached: sadness3.png (500x300, 78K)

Come to pay my respects to a legend. Rest in peace Richard
Aw man...

Attached: 1557348539180.jpg (440x660, 31K)

>when the economy gets better
So, never?

No

Attached: 1434729471032.jpg (600x600, 35K)

>It's the last decade of 2D frame by frame animation

Attached: 1565446764022.jpg (1117x1012, 705K)

We are talking about TV animation, which for 2D animation is actually getting better. Show like MAomao is a display of it and as much as you hate Steven Universe it allow for this to be featured

Attached: 1.webm (1920x1080, 2.94M)

As in animating the incomplete scenes? Doesn't seem too likely. Top priority for his widow is probably going to be doing something with the film he'd been animating for the past few years. I could see an effort being made to create the best possible version of the workprint though, using multiple sources.

>it allow for this to be featured
It was their money shot for the finale. "regular animation" is now that, an event for shows thta have too much money. It's dying. when those animators dies, it's over.

F

Attached: 1539707238304.png (429x507, 374K)

Some people complained that it's all calarts now ansd it will never be back to what it used to be and throwing a tantrum when pointing out that things HAVE improved since the time Richard made his "you do'nt know what you don't know" comment, that was mmade befre Disney's renaissance.

Now they insit that everything is goign to be worst and that 70's HB is better than what we have today.

>It's dying.
It literally isn't. It's getting better by the years., at least for TV animation.

Richard Williams was Canadian, proving once and for all the Canucks can do better than Johnny Test/total drama bullshit.

It's so impressive.

Attached: 0.webm (640x480, 933K)

It still baffles me how people on Reddit think this was done purely with computers

There's no reason to do better.

To be fair it's a completely reasonable question when you're aging and are famous for being a meticulous worker.

>He made this when he was 82

Attached: 1548402176179.png (650x800, 403K)

F
His dedication to mind blowing animation will be missed. It depresses me to think how he was one of the few who put most of his efforts into the animation itself.

co is fucking stupid. try going into one of those owl house threads, none of them know anything about animation industry at all and they refuse to be taught.

Fuck.

Attached: D88E8B84-CE2C-4E6D-9AF8-8104230597E8.jpg (800x600, 53K)

CARLOS YOU HAVE CROSSED THE LINE

this made me cry. losing someone like that truly is like a library burning down.

Don't do this to me Williams.. I wanted to meet you atleast once...
Hope you finished cobler in another universe

Attached: Resolve.png (836x1248, 1.15M)

It's a real problem for the western animation industry and probably the biggest leg up Japan has.
Hobbyists out there with crazy talent are great but most animators of yore learned the good stuff by working under the masters and receiving that experienced eye and building on that.
Now everyone has to teach themselves from scratch since all the old animation masters have gone off to various parts of europe to work independently.

It's sad that a lot of people here only care about the reality television-tier drama that happens behind the scenes of the industry and not the actual craft itself.

And it was followed by the Dark Ages.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I watched recobbled literally TWO days ago
RIP
I remember seeing false alarm threads for this day on Yea Forums but now it finally happened

Attached: prologue_squint.gif (320x240, 3.73M)

it is pretty annoying
i think owl house looks pretty promising from an animator perspective, since dana was the person they got on gravity falls to do some of the most important animations

F.

I need the unfinished prologue sequences NOW

F

Calarts seems to be going to the wayside in favor of a pointier 90s-esque Vivziepop/Villainous style. Look at actual animation students (not dumb tumblr kids) on Twitter or Instagram and you'll see a lot of them using that style instead of faux-Steven Universe pastel mush.

Does wacky pointy shit still have its issues? Yes, but it's a huge technical improvement.

I thought this was one of those threads when I first saw it, feels bad
and god is prologue good. the colored eyes are just so striking with everything else uncolored

It's not fair.

It'll be finished any day now...

Attached: iu-17.jpg (1024x745, 593K)

y-yeah...any day...;_;

F

Attached: 22.jpg (1011x738, 51K)

The dark ages are a myth

ah fuck
F

I could do it but it would take me 20 years

I want to do it for twenty years

According to another article his family says he was he was still plugging away on something, doing some writing and drawing up to just a few hours before he died. Fucking F

Knowing he did all that work on The Thief and the Cobbler and died never actually got to see it realized as the film he intended kinda sucks.

F

Attached: ec7e06b684509adf59d7d1f0fd540e70[1].jpg (720x376, 51K)

F

it should have been him

Attached: JohnK.jpg (650x975, 164K)

F

Attached: 1503235906871.gif (500x281, 1.23M)

I don't think I've ever seen this level of detail in animation before. That's amazing.

Yea Forums won't actually do shit. it'll just sit back and whine and pretend it's doing something

Attached: In honor of our hero.png (662x387, 234K)

There's nothing left to save. Its time has come and gone.

F

Attached: 4.jpg (204x268, 22K)

to a legend R.I.P

It's just rotoscoped, anyone could do it

F... such a wonderful man...

it actually might not be that's the spoopy part

God, I hope so.

Goodnight, you wonderful talented man.

It's not rotoscoped, completely from imagination
not sure how you could even get that cinematography in live action, the camera flies around like it's on the head of the bee at the start of the short
I seriously think he accomplished something with this short that has never been done before, and if he were to live another few decades in good health we'd have a whole movie of this quality

F

well if you browse the thread to the other guy that posted the same image, he actually says just after this that things are now the opposite, that people tend to focus too much on "realism"

>20 animators/writers have passed away this year
>somehow this literal who gets one
I don't understand the mods at all.

Attached: 1561090097878.jpg (200x203, 14K)

how many animation greats are left?

maybe she's refering to a pan more specific than what they normally do? anyway who cares

>literal who

Attached: (YOU).jpg (591x585, 48K)

Why are there so many people trying to bait in this thread?

>recently rewatched Roger Rabbit and the Recobbled Cut in awe of how fluid and well-drawn that animation was
>now this
RIP. Hopefully he won't be the last person to try animating whole 2D films in 1s, even if there aren't enough people that care.

Attached: 1559744836965.jpg (512x384, 17K)

I had to wiki him to find out who he was, so yes.

>The level of irony is BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION.
You don't even know he was fatalistically funny in his early days. He hung out with great early animators and watched them all die. You think he didn't develop a sense of humor Snowflake?

that's your fault bro

That just means you're ignorant

Making it to 86, being a respected figure in his industry...these things seem like something celebrate, not something to be sad about.

Well done on a good life!

Who?

leave this board zoomer

F

Attached: 55024EF7-3C27-4D18-978F-188E7258843C.jpg (500x500, 48K)

He thought me a lot about animation

Noooo

Damn shame. Too bad we didn't get that sequel he wanted to make.

Attached: Jessica damn.webm (1386x780, 2.09M)

Who’s this guy?

Yes

The guy who came up with Bugs Bunny, people are posting Roger Rabbit stuff as a joke.

>Responds to a picture from hours ago that you had to scour the thread to find
>WHO CARES

Clearly you?

RIP
Roger Rabbit's still the best half-live-action to this date, nothing else has blended animation so well and it's fucking 2D

Attached: fuq.jpg (470x265, 22K)

john k

thats it

>Remember me, Eddie.

Attached: Don't cry, my good friend.png (408x771, 393K)

>CartoonBrew FINALLY has an article with the announcement

Fuck, #1 source of animation news my ass.

why nobody does 0.5s

th-thanks harvey

With the sparkles in every scene she was in?

Attached: jessica rabbit forward.jpg (600x813, 59K)

Yes, I believe so.

Attached: bumping the lamp.gif (256x146, 1.79M)

Then you don't like animation lmao

Because there's no such thing as a half frame.

F

This.
He truly is a great man.

What is interlacing?
However, interlacing only happens with video and not film, and it's limited to either 480i or 1080i.

mega.nz/#F!jKYVVRZD!xWyv8TQEHUskjQTquQhHQA

Here's the animator survival kit dvd. It's in the classes folder.

Go on anons, download it, learn, practice. Make your own art and learn the joy of animating.

Its what Richard would have wanted.

Attached: 1550684706810.gif (325x203, 780K)

Eric Goldberg

Reminds me of AngelXMikey. The week leading up to his passing he made a post how sad he was that he kept putting off his personal dream animation instead of doing it when he had the time, and that it would be left unfinished at his passing. Real sad.

Thanks, user.

F

as shit as Yea Forums's mods typically are, at least they're semi-competent sometimes. Yea Forums may as well have no fucking mods at all considering the state of that shithole

Is the asset folder supposed to be empty?

F. Going to nut to Jessica Rabbit in his honor.

RIP.
Godspeed on your trip to heaven, you beautiful, magnificient man. Animators like myself and the others on this board'll try to carry on your legacy

>reking himself that hard
lmao

F
God amongst many, rest easy man.

Does anyone have a MEGA of either the Recobbled Cut or Richard Williams' workprint of "The Thief and the Cobbler"? I'm just curious.

been looking for this for ages. Thank you user.

There’s a little thread on Yea Forums right now but man the anger is something else

Attached: 992E9715-F253-4D4F-8518-9126780E63D4.png (710x772, 340K)

Up and forth, you beautiful bastard.

F to the legend of legends.

Should I rub one out to Jessica Rabbit in honor of him?

>3335 frames for a 9 secs sequence

BOI

Glen Keane, James Baxter, Yuri Norstein, Eric Goldberg

With this line of thinking
>gay still means happy
>naughty still means poor or needy
>hussy still means housewife
>awful still means awe-inspiring
>nice still means stupid
Get my gist, dipshit? Words change meaning all the time.

Attached: 1526515742760.png (1400x1400, 500K)

c'mon user, at least 2 times

Attached: 1517098653175.gif (500x281, 1.87M)

I've gotten hard for her but I've never went all the way. How is she?

>how is she?
what do you mean

Attached: 1557162337945.webm (1280x720, 2.88M)

Is she really worth the fap?

this isn't from the movie, what is it from?

F

also Nightcrawler is best waifu

Attached: 1558844908731.jpg (559x662, 233K)

absolutely
she's gorgeous and is a great gal inside and out to boot, she's basically 2D perfection
Roger Rabbit Trail Mix-Up

Attached: 1557162080306.webm (1440x780, 2.68M)

the roger rabbit shorts
youtube.com/watch?v=t_RwvvlGYIU

Thanks, user...may his heritance prevail.

Dude...

what the fuck is this

I didn't know he made shorts for this. How many of these are there?

I wonder if he masturbated to his own Jessica work.

Depends on the artist, I think having to work with something at such a deep, technical level for hours and hours probably takes a lot of the sexiness away from it.
But then again, all those nights slaving away could get one really pent up so to say, so who knows. He might've just not like 2D women that way. I guess we'll never know.

Attached: 1557161972428.webm (920x1040, 2.89M)

Rest in peace.
Though i grew up into a fat otaku weeb, Roger Rabbit was still part of my earliest childhood memories and Jessica Rabbit gave me my first funny tingly feelings.

3-4 maybe

Yeah, good points. Couldn't blame him if he tried it though.

A cartoon

>all these twitter artists pretending to know who he was all along after googling him 5 minutes ago

Attached: 1558706638338.jpg (618x597, 66K)

Underrated fucking post, thanks very much

>dumb frogposter
>2019 filename
of course

Thanks, user!

They would at least know his name.
Pic related was the only source of decent animation info for a whole generation.

Attached: RW_TASK.jpg (1200x1200, 149K)

I love when dipshit zoomers think that animation means "cartoons on tv"

I love you user

I see tons of animators who are paying their respects. I'd be more surprised to see an animator who doesn't know about him.

This news was the last thing I wanted to see today.
F

Attached: 1564713322335.jpg (750x747, 67K)

I know how you feel bro... I try my God damnest to get at least half of what I want to draw on to the paper as I imagination in my head. It's so strenuous difficult to get even the smallest of details right from scaling, perceptive, lighting, shadows, and realism. It an extreme feeling of hell, where you feel so God damn unsure, and so negatively self critical, that even doodling and minor sketching becomes a "force yourself chore" to do so.

I been also trying my hardest to get into some field of artistry work, I been applying from job form to job form, and it's a discouraging when you be rejected. I still trying, and still loving the art of animation. I will not give up, because it one of the few thing I truly know of.

It's a shame that this happen to him, on such an unexpected notice too, It seem he was in good shape, and good health too. This summer suck everything is going to Hell and there's little to nothing we can do about it, but life is not fair, and I suppose it was never fair to begin with, and we can only learn from each other, and support each other as best we can in this cruel world...

Rest in Peace Richard William you are the Art God of animation.

Attached: rocke.jpg (273x409, 16K)

Eric Goldberg, James Baxter, Andreas Deja, Glean Keane, John Kricfalusi, Ken Duncan

>Art God of animation.
That's quite an exaggerated statement

The art world is going to lose another important Williams fairly soon.
Yea Forums won't even give a shit though, they don't know what greatness is. At least they left a lot behind to learn from.

Why did you list 6 animators but only 5 good ones?

>John Kricfalusi
fucking yikes nigga

Attached: 1547862589568.gif (500x372, 588K)

I think the bigger problem is that traditional animation is a dying art. Movies are exclusively in 3D and Western animation is shipped overseas to Korea for sweatshop workers to rush out as fast as possible. In the new Mary Poppins movie for example they had to actually call the old Disney animators back out of retirement because nobody knew how to do it (or at least as well as them) for a few scenes.

F
youtube.com/watch?v=yxh103itB2s

Recobbled Cut Mark 4:
mega.nz/#!atAjBAyQ!aqTW_E0rf5NAN3FHC72yXcNY9gtCpZgMJXjcmfe_6yg
Split zip version, if you have trouble with downloading a file that big over Mega:
mega.nz/#F!UIESSQLB!NyUIcydIXcAVh6LPJYBnuA

traditional animation lives on in advertising
also in japan
and on newgrounds and youtube

Hey lads come join this d*scord server its pretty kino tbqh

discord gg zEqbgGg

Thanks for creating one of the most greatest live action movies and being an amazing animator. Richard Williams Animator Survival Kit will continue to inspire and create future animators for life.

F

Well I saying that because he was an excellent draftsman, and also this is an R.I.P. thread so whatever where all hurting from this death...

Attached: london-film-festival-posterchaplin_courtesy-of-richard-williams.jpg (1397x1500, 141K)

Who is the next Williams?
Who will teach the new generation on the beauty of animation that was taught by the masters before him?

>Who is the next Williams?
No one.

>Who will teach the new generation on the beauty of animation that was taught by the masters before him?
Who knows?

>Who will teach the new generation on the beauty of animation that was taught by the masters before him?
Mitsuo Iso.

Attached: melos.webm (684x370, 2.81M)

pen ward

Pretty easy answer, James Baxter, who was trained by Williams and is now head of character animation at Netflix's in-house animation department, which hasn't released anything yet but will kick off with Klaus around Christmas

i hte that its gonna sky rocket now, but eh. i have pdfs and read them front to back.

youtu.be/gows7iOoqaU
It got fucked hard but even what we got is pretty fucking cool

dumb ass. GO TO FUCKING BARNES AND NOBLE RN.

F

The man was a paragon of animation and we're worse off without him. His book is a goddamn bible for every animator, it's weird to feel so strongly about someone I don't know but his work is a massive insperation for me to improve, hope he died well.

agreed. legend. MODS

they weren't "out of retirement". They just worked at a different studio

>Netflix
It's fucked. James Baxter deserves better.

Well that's a turn of events

vimeo.com/135202004

Yea Forums here
F to a legend

Attached: I coveted that ballpit, I suppose.jpg (1936x2592, 2.26M)

F
I still need to read your book, old master.

Attached: 1421878184018.jpg (620x351, 37K)

damn

Attached: 1544322058766.gif (500x391, 965K)

Today, the last pure and true animator of the West has died.

Rest in peace, we'll never have anyone as dedicated as you in the industry.

Attached: 1544151386937.jpg (640x640, 54K)

Williams' personal workprint (from Persistence of Vision DVD disc 2, I think the video transfer originates from S-VHS):
mega.nz/#!wNB3yK6B!DXEQsyUldM142Bi5LNt55s_S84e-dze7jVkf4SyOFgU
Also if a boutique label doesn't put out a Blu-ray set with everything Cobbler related including a new professional scan of the workprint we riot

eleven F's from [s4s] :^(
FFFFFFFFFFF

Attached: s4ssica.jpg (1954x3027, 1.33M)

Definitely dude.

RIP good sir, I will always remember your instructions

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png (900x876, 983K)

>handsome, has god-tier work ethic and is considered a master of his craft
How did he do it?

Attached: Richard_Williams_young.jpg (550x541, 25K)

>How did he do it?
>god-tier work ethic

Jessica Rabbit should have gotten a beach short.

>>god-tier work ethic
What do you mean?

I mean he worked his fucking ass off his entire life. That's how he did it.

I don't see how his work ethic is any different from other animators from his time

>have porn addiction
>not knowing when I could die
>stuff I haven't worked on needs done.
why am i not motivated? time is quick.

Dunno if including John K was bait or not, but his animation declined massively after he switched to digital animation. At least he can still make somewhat decent drawings since he draws shit everyday.

Don't be so hard on Andreas Deja, user.

RIP
This is so fucking sad.

You're not bored anymore. Cut Yea Forums, reddit, Facebook, twitter, and whatever other social media out of your life, or drastically reduce usage.

Different user, Desperately want to do animation but procrastinate endlessly because I know it'll look bad and I don't want it to look like shit

It's going to look like shit and you'll hate yourself and what you drew. You have to learn to work past that and also be easier on yourself.

>but his animation declined massively after he switched to digital animation.
Agreed. He gotten super lazy for a person who used to insist on either doing most of the process himself or making people redo scenes several times until they got as good as possible.
youtube.com/watch?v=YAwZadzszSc
youtube.com/watch?v=qo0W4qJsuag

>It's going to look like shit
I don't want it to be shit

agreed

literally who

Unfortunately, the first thing you make will be shit. But with practice, it won't. And then your practice will have borne fruit. Animation is a skill, and skills have to be exercised like you would a muscle. Your skills will be weak at first but then they will grow in strength and you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner. It's alright to be scared of starting, it's difficult knowing that what you make at first isn't going to be professional quality. I should know. That fear is what keeps me from drawing

Attached: 13a.jpg (400x400, 12K)

fuck
that hits hard

Time to stop being a fucking coward and pick up a pencil and start drawing user

I know this cause when I started everything I drew was fucking terrible, but I kept practicing and drawing different things everyday for like the last 5 yearsand it still looks like shit to this day

Aw damn it.

>I managed to buy the Survival Kit and the Persistence of Vision documentary DVD before they're all going to be sold out
Seems that I got lucky for once.

Big F to the big man of animation.

Attached: F.png (1200x1200, 8K)

Why would they stop selling them?

I guess you were lucky enough to see him like that. Sounds like an amazing evening.

F

Attached: 18.PAIN.jpg (184x282, 12K)

oh my god that was gorgeous

Richard Williams? What about Gary Wolf, the guy who wrote the book Who Censored Roger Rabbit? The book that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was based on? Sure, someone had to draw up a figure for the movie, but Richard Williams didn't create the character.
Richard Williams created the Pink Panther cartoon, too. That at least was spun out of nothing more then "There's this gem that the crooks are trying to steal." and it went on to be a cartoon. Roger Rabbit's real claim to fame was Jessica Rabbit.

F

Damn.

Attached: 1546012209907.png (135x224, 59K)

God bless you, user. I think I'll get started again. I just have to find that one cartooning book whose style I wanted to take elements from

Attached: buddhapproval.png (580x711, 416K)

Damn,
F.

twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1162848310060888064

I could have been happier never knowing that.

Attached: sads.jpg (500x417, 81K)

his family says he was still working on something up to a few hours before he died

Dude its crazy that you posted this I cropped the EXACT panel out

Attached: Bros.png (442x410, 420K)

>making people redo scenes several times until they got as good as possible.
Guess that's that perfectionism of his that got him fired.

F

It was that and the underage girlfriend thing that nick obviously knew about

lots of people work on stuff, doesn't mean he had a "god tier work ethic"

Richard Williams in heaven: I hope you saved a "nigga" for me
Somebody: What
Somebody else: What's going on

Rest now you mighty Animation God. F
My recommendation? Do what Williams did. He was asked how was it possible for a man his age to never lose his work ethic or his motivation. His response? Life-Drawing, he always tried to make time to draw life-figures in order to never lose his perfect draftsmanship.
cartoonbrew.com/rip/remembering-an-animation-titan-richard-williams-178353.html
He attributed it to his continued study of life drawing. “It’s the hardest thing you can do,” he told me. “When you get out of it for six months and you go back in, you realize you’re a bum. That’s why people don’t go back to it. They say, ‘Oh, I did that in art school. We don’t do that anymore.’ And then you get stuck with cartoons.”

This is how he stayed as good as he did, but it also made him never lose his work ethic. Life drawing is like an exercise and it helps you to prevent procrastination. Think of it like this: if you draw every day, even if you are not animating, you are still doing something that also benefits you, so you really never stop working. And as I said it also improves your art-skills. The problem with many people in the animation industry today is: they go to college, learn anatomy, form, gesture, etc. but then they graduate and stop studying that stuff, or many find it boring, the end result is an industry full mediocre artists who can only draw cal-arts noodle limb doodles. My recommendation to you would be to keep a sketchbook that no one will see but you where you simply draw one drawing a day.
Also, practice gestures
youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y
They are fun, very beneficial to an artist, and you don't have to be all anxious about making it perfect, maybe make a bunch of these in your sketchbook. Or draw a bunch of charcoal drawings for different times to test yourself (30 seconds, 1 min, 5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins). Just remember this: KEEP FUCKING DRAWING EVERYDAY bro

Well, I wouldn't like Proko's gestures.
Just read Walt Stanchfield's gesture book instead, you know someone who can actually draw and animate

>like Proko
meant link

Missing the point. Calarts was coined to complain about something that has actually nothing wrong with it and it's still the case today.

I just realised, is that what lead to Disney Renaissance?

F

little mermaid did that

R.I.P. to a real nigga

F

>Posts 20 second clip made by James Baxter as an example

F

Attached: Big Boss tears.gif (350x200, 941K)

He thinks 20 seconds makes every season have amazing animation

whats wrong with proko ?

And he fucking did
youtube.com/watch?v=FsTnUDhONp4
You know whats funny? As a younger man, he wasn't really a great animator, but he loved animation and was destined to make the best-animated film he could make. So in his fucking 30s, he brought numerous Disney and Warner ex-animators to teach him and his crew of animators, his studio soon became something of a school for guys like James Baxter and Eric Goldberg. One day he was animating with master animator Ken Harris who was teaching him as well, and in his fucking forties, after running a studio, winning awards, Harris looked at it and said, "you know...you could be an animator." Keep in mind he didn't say, "you are an animator" or "You are a good animator". Most zoomers cant fathom that, but in the end age kind of is just a number, sometimes. There are fucking weightlifters in their fucking 90s, and master animators in their 80s. Education doesn't suddenly stop, like lifting or any kind of exercise, its something you never stop doing. That was Williams's secret to success. Remember don't be a young lazy faggot

Attached: This_Scary_Fuck.jpg (1920x1040, 240K)

This predate Little mermaid. And I am wondering if this more detailed level of animation lead the team to confirm they could do a long feature animation with this level of quality.

I understand but linked Proko because what he says is right, gestures are fun, great exercises and you don't have to be anxious about making the perfect gesture because that's not the point. But yeah there better examples, like the one you posted, actually, ALWAYS try to learn from animation veterans

If I recall correctly, wasn't it Zigzag's card tricks that finally made him "an animator?"

>dog picture
Do you think this is type of person you should be asking for drawing advice from?

Attached: 1485403633486.jpg (455x406, 17K)

>ALWAYS try to learn from animation veterans
why?

F
Bye Rich. Thanks for all the good teachings and inspiration, I'll keep animating.

Attached: 1411420246596.jpg (640x480, 28K)

Same reason you learn from someone with experience in any other field, dingus.

Can't F hard enough. We need a 24 fps salute or something in honor of the man.

Attached: source.gif (384x240, 280K)

F
Jesus

I believe so
youtube.com/watch?v=fsxCIkN7Zy8
This shit is fucking awesome too. Everything about that movie. Fuck that fat piece of shit Harvey Weinstein

Attached: AAAAAARGH.jpg (360x368, 11K)

I didn't and I'm sorry. If on one hand I'm on Yea Forums pretty much for the comics part of it I have to admit Roger Rabbit is simply one of the biggest audiovisual accomplishments I've ever came across and I have nothing but utter respect for the absolute madman.

Attached: cards.webm (854x480, 1.93M)

Only remembered by Google as the Roger Rabbit guy.

Only remembered as that guy who worked for the mouse

No mention of his lifes work passion project The Thief and the Cobbler

Attached: Roger Rabbit guy.jpg (1159x774, 93K)

literally all the top tweets on twitter just refer to him working on roger rabbit and nothing else
it's honestly kind of sad

the third top article though

user you're amazing

>mfw my first ever exposure the The Thief and the Cobbler was the Nostalgia Critic
*shudder* I just took a shower, but now I feel like I need to take another one.

Attached: E1201A08-3A8B-4DB4-BDB4-036DEA3D054B.png (244x248, 121K)

You know what user you inspired me to make this

First time I've even tried to do an animation

Attached: farewell salute.gif (560x420, 288K)

at this point, john k might as well be dead

Noice, keep it up.

One brought immense joy to millions of people while being a marvel of cinematic engineering while the other was a complete failure; the hubris of man on full display leading to nothing but an embarassing footnote in history.

Does the truth ruffle your hipster feathers? if so, blame it. Not me.

Go see the cobbled cut.

I'm not 4 years old. I won't be able to appreciate it.

Same here user. I was so fucking stupid back then
*takes a shower then a bath*

The Guardian article doesn't even mention The Thief in its obituary.

>Having real actors interacting with CGI crap is the norm now
>Having legendary franchises cross over is the norm now
>Future generations won't be able to appreciate what made Roger Rabbit so unique
>Richard will be remembered as a man with two "meh" movies under his belt

Attached: 4.jpg (1920x1040, 305K)

He admitted though that not everything he did was on 1s. On Thief, he also animated on 2s, 3s, 4s. It simply depended on what action was occurring.

Okay, you just made your opinion irrelevant. Thank you.

>implying any of this shit will happen just because capeshit exists

>I'm mature so I only enjoy things that are successful and popular

Okay

>He died on August 16, 2019, at his home in Bristol, England.[8]

Oh what?

Attached: 1287263657353.jpg (353x289, 21K)

What are the chance the people in charge of the sonic movie actually take this advice:
youtube.com/watch?v=cvdRtsMxjmc

He must've been really subtle about it then since Thief is one of the few films I recall animating prolonged slow scenes on 1s.

Also Roger Rabbit is done entirely on 1s from what I can tell but his studio did have the luxury of not having to do backgrounds.

your mom on the other hand....

sad

what a shame

Attached: plastic little.webm (720x540, 774K)

>an embarassing footnote in history.
You must not get on internet very often.

>Does the truth
literally a fanatic with empty second hand statementt. What a winner

based
and redpilled

not nice for Roger tho

it's not that far fetched. he's certainly up there among the best

Attached: 54CB2C98-41E0-465C-B2D1-7C9AB06C8EFB.jpg (333x481, 37K)

F

>no-one cares about Princess & The Cobbler
also
>South Africa cut
I think you mean "Australian cut"; who gives a shit about South Africa?

Can I just rub one out for Roger as well?

>nothing wrong with it
>still the case today
You're the cancer of the animation industry. kys for real.

IT's jsut the main trend. just like every era has a main trend. it's not the only style of currently existing cartoons, just the dominating one.

Just accept that the main trend can sometimes not be up to your personal tastes and wait for the next trend to move on.

Have never seen anything Roger Rabbit related. Guess I gotta remedy that now.
R.I.P. Champ

You mean, "that is NOT Roger Rabbit related"?

When the main trend is being lazy, cheap and uninspired, no, I won't approve of it, zoomer fuck.

>When the main trend is being lazy, cheap and uninspired
That's not what it is.

>uninspired
That's kind of a moot critic, you can say that of any main trend from any decades.

RIP

All of my F's.

roger rabbit was a great movie whether or not the effects were groundbreaking

stop posting, jessica

>The book that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was based on?
Did you even read the book? Beyond superficial likenesses the characters are significantly different.

Friend of various CN staff here - they would frequently insult the man's work as well as his ethic because it's "too mean" to aim for quality if that means working hard. He was insanely talented and I am sure it's a big "good riddance" to a lot of current animators.

Big bet that the CN staff you're referring is IJQ

Some of the staff from various WB shows had similar sentiments. Animation is becoming a dead art form here in the US and the man who was aiming to make the most of it is gone. It's tragic.

>already unstickied
seriously? the fucking state of this board

Sounds like the current sentiment for sure.

I'll also tell you all this - they look at Yea Forums. Part of why these people are so defensive on social media is because they get pissed off reading this board.

I really hope it's not a majority of animators that feel like this.

The ones who I've heard say it are either heads of shows or higher ups on them. There's a pretty large reboot project in the works that had that sentiment being carried by team members. This work doesn't pay enough to really survive since studios don't budget much and most show runners are people who just want to gloat that they have a show, then the ratings are nothing and it gets pulled within 2-3 swift seasons. It is more about bragging rights than the work itself at the moment.

Seriously. This is like Iwata's passing for Yea Forums, how do you unsticky it after only a single day?

youtu.be/hDRMeeuP3F0

Even his work on commercials had clear passion put into them.

How long did the sticky for Bob Givens stay up?

the guy actually decided he liked willaim's version much better and made a sequel closer to the film

kek, no they don't sourceless fagget, push your narrative somewhere else

New Animaniacs will only feature the Warners and Pinky and the Brain, the rest of the show is going to be new characters. Once it airs you can come back here.

I was hoping he'd at least reach 90.

Attached: cn intern.png (548x435, 76K)

I was just looking at his stuff the other day. RIP.

Dude's great at drawing people from reference, usually looking at pictures of models and stuff, but that's pretty much it. Dude's positively awful at drawing from imagination, worse than most startup artists are.

>animation industry titan sticky can't even stay up for 24 hours
>a reminder that spoiling some capeshit faggotry totally isn't cool gets to stay up for several weeks
mods are gay

Attached: middle finger gorilla.jpg (605x763, 110K)

one last F

Goodbye, Richard.

>only a sticky for less than a day
>couldn't roll over 999 replies
lol

Ah shit. Still did more than I ever will.