Question about "Zombie Simpsons"

deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/zs7/ (comes up again and again afterwards)
What's the issue with having emotional episodes?
I get that they halted the plot in terribly cliche ways, but both "Bart Gets an F" and "Bart Sells his Soul" have emotional moments that serve to tug at the heartstrings.

Attached: 423.jpg (720x576, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Es4U9ckGjdM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I thought the problem was they stopped having those low key emotional episodes?

The people who criticize these episodes are pompous retards who are so far up their subversive asses they think anything that advocates traditional values is lowbrow and for some reason they got the idea that the Simpsons is above that and that its the shows duty to be diametrically opposed to that.

It's not that Marge Be Not Proud wasn't subversive, it wasn't, but it's that it played completely into the tropes one would expect.

Attached: 2019-08-16_19-57-22.png (1808x1141, 118K)

Another thing that bothers me is that people keep saying Bart acted out of character in that episode. No he didnt; He wasnt feeling guilty because he tried to steal the game but rather he was distressed because the person who he assumed would always look past his mischief and have hope in him had given up. (This wasnt the case either but thats how Bart perceived it)

The problem isn't emotional episodes (Mother Simpson & And Maggie Makes Three are two of the most emotional episodes of any animated sitcom ever made and both are classics), the problem is falling into generic sitcom plots and tropes that The Simpsons originally aimed to subvert.

Although I do disagree somewhat with their characterization of Marge Be Not Proud, I don't think it's as bad or generic as they claim it is. It's also really fucking funny.

>generic sitcom plots and tropes that The Simpsons originally aimed to subvert
Was this ever stated or is it something that people just assumed they were trying to do?

I dont get why people keep saying Bart acted out of character in that episode. No he didnt; He wasnt feeling guilty because he tried to steal the game but rather he was distressed because the person who he assumed would always look past his mischief and have hope in him had given up. (This wasnt the case either but thats how Bart perceived it)

but subvertion is bad

oops sorry for the double post, I thought the original didnt send

Only if done for its own sake.

no

Explain how subversion is always bad even if it's for the sake of something (something in-show specifically, Simpsons was subversive to stand out against the onslaught of family sitcoms)

anti harmonious society

what about society not being harmonious because a cartoon subverts a trope is bad

Harmony is and always will be impossible, so long as there are two sentient beings in the world.

Based on how it started, it's a little of both.

What I don’t get is why this 40 year old blogger picked Marge Be Not Proud, seemingly out of a hat, instead of Lisa the Vegetarian or Scenes from the Class Struggle.

Marge Be Not Proud is pretty infamous for being cliche.
What are your issues with those episodes, especially Scenes from the Class Struggle?

cry about it nigger

I thought a lot of oldfags hated Lisa the Vegetarian for pushing her more liberal and making the guest stars more Mary Sue-ish, and I personally found Scenes to be pretty lame, both with the Marge plot of her hating her family just because, and the B plot where they start flanderising Burns to make him more pathetic.

>What's the issue with having emotional episodes?

Early Simpsons wasn't just "emotional" it was straight up suicidal at times.

youtu.be/Es4U9ckGjdM

Not that I have anything wrong with that.

Attached: suicide.jpg (480x360, 9K)

They actually speak about that specific moment
I think what changes it is that Homer's suicide attempt is used to push the plot forward and has no juxtaposed jokes; the one joke that is there is undercut by the fact that the person who left the rock there likely succeeded in committing suicide.

Attached: 2019-08-16_21-45-36.png (1797x1638, 181K)

I feel like using Dead Homer Society as a bible for Simpsons criticism is like using Mr Enter as a bible for SpongeBob criticism. You’re not wrong, but you look like a brainless pleb anyway.

What's the chad to virgin Dead Homer Society?

Sneed

Anything antonymous with alt.tv.simpsons

Its the lack of emotional episodes that is bad
Or overly emotional episodes that handle emotion badly like Marge Be Not Proud

Why cant Yea Forums makes it own episode, early simpson style

>Yea Forums creating content

Oh, sweet sweet summerchild.

We used to. I remember one thread years ago about some user posting a thread to another user he presumed was lurking who was his roommate, telling him that he left the key under the mat. Yea Forums ran with it and gave them super hero monikers and backstories. It was wonderful.

The thing with the emotional episodes is that the first few are great, they're something new involving characters you care about and feel like real growth and development that let you see the character in a new light. When they're well done, they might have a different tone from the rest of the episodes but they still fit into the overall show smoothly without contradicting any of the other established details and ideally improve the rest of the episodes by giving you another perspective on them.
But then when your show has several hundred episodes, more than 20 seasons, you've done all this shit already, probably a few times, and the characters are either the same as they always were or the flaws that they were supposed to have been dealing with in those episodes have actually been emphasized as the character is Flanderized they start to ring hollow.

Also they're just hard to write well and the writing quality has declined massively so they tend to be just worse episodes in general.

Because Yea Forums would be unable to avoid writing a fanscript that did not include explicit sex scenes between underage characters.

>Also they're just hard to write well and
Comedic writing is pretty easy and effortless. Writing Lisa's Substitute is harder and not as fun--you can't stream-of-consciousness it.

The show did most of those grimdark emotional episodes in the first 2-1/2 seasons and they started getting a bit lighter in tone by the second half of Season 3.

There used to be a German autist by the name of Chris Pfleier who would post huge blogpost rants on Usenet about the greatness of Season 2 and the show lost it by Season 5.

I don't think we could pull off a Season 2 kind of episode. If we got good enough, Season 5 might be possible.

FORGIVE ME FOR MY DISRESPECT FORGIVE ME FOR MY LIES

And Maggie Makes Three and even Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield were widely disliked at the time.

Why are Germans some of the most autistic Simpsons fans I've ever seen? I remember also some cringe-inducing Lisa fan sites which were populated mainly by continental Europeans especially Germans.

Germans can no longer invade other countries and genocide people, so the only outlet for their autism is waifuing 8 year old cartoon children with spiky hair and Ping Pong ball eyes.

Yeh anyone can come up with a good joke fairly easily. Writing something that pulls on the heartstrings not so much.

Episode gets abused a bit undeservedly desu.

Why though?

I don't recall the exact reason for SFTCSIS, but AMMT was disliked for its continuity errors and generally sloppy, gag-oriented writing.

maybe because sometimes the whole deal of the simpsons trying to subvert the perceived ''light heartedness'' of all other sitcoms, you know, the whole, ''were are NOT like THOSE shows'', ended sometimes with the show doing things that were legitimate unpleasant and mishandled against their own well doing? or in short, edgy and mean just for the sake f keeping with ''their guideliness''.

Is just like that infamous PPG episode which seemed fine at the end but the infamous ending busted everything and felt so damn off-putting because the show needed to adhere by its forced rule of ''their guidelines'' (the PPG always needed to beat up the bad guys and being needlessly violent), or when the MCU cannot help itself for doing their staple bait and switch ''Sick Snark Bitch Slap Quips'' which are terrible that i dont even think normie landwhales actually like, and those are the reason why those movie did so well.