Any animators here? How did you start? What are you working on? How's life?

Any animators here? How did you start? What are you working on? How's life?

Attached: ww.png (722x432, 604K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pKmSdY56VtY
youtu.be/pDVfNf5GvPg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How did I start? I dunno, I just loved drawing a lot and I love cartoon so much that I wanted to make a cartoon of my own one day, so I gave it a shot. I remember making flip note cartoons during my elementary days, basically the old bouncing ball flip note animation everyone did at one point. I eventually got around pirating Macromedia Flash back in 08 and started messing around with it, later I got a Wacom drawing tablet that Christmas and stated making some dumb basic stickfigure animations. Fast forward next year I wanted to take my animations and art "seriously" because I was growing tired of drawing and animating the same basic shit over and over so around that time I bought some books that help taught me how to draw human anatomy and buildings, etc... and books that help teach me about the fundamentals of animation and how to animate, one was a Richard Williams survival book and the other by Preston Blair that I lost. Started drawing and animating everyday and watched myself improve, and I glad I did that. Right now i'm not working on a project of mine that i've been working on for two years I plan to keep secret but I can tell you it takes place during the Disco-era. It's still a WIP, but it's coming.

Doing short stuff for people in hs, got lucky and did some freelance to studio jobs here and there. Some of the people i work with nowadays are making me reconsider my career choice though

>Some of the people i work with nowadays are making me reconsider my career choice though
elaborate

Started out doing some animating in college when I finally the porper tools for it.
Now Im just too poor and busy to do any significant projects.

Just started figuring this stuff out a couple days ago, actually. I haven't animated since flipnote studio. Wish me luck.

Attached: huh.webm (1920x1080, 168K)

im wishing u luck

>how did you start
I liked cartoons since I was a little child and I liked to draw comics and stories about the cartoons I watched. I first wanted to be a cartoonist/comic artist, but I found animation more interesting.
>what are you working on
While I'm still in college, I'm doing some freelance stuff and work on my own personal shorts. And summer vacation will be over soon, so I'll probably work on some school projects in the future
>how's life?
It's hard. I live in a country where (entertainment) animation is such a niche industry, that I probably must migrate or work on commercials. Even finding a fun studio to intern in is hard. But I have no serious regrets about my career choice.

while on the topic, what's the best animation program out there for someone with no money?

as of a few days ago, blender.

2D animation, not 3d.

You can start doing 2D animation in blender

youtube.com/watch?v=pKmSdY56VtY

Because of the way blender renders output, this is actually the fastest 2d program now. No more audio lagging behind in the timeline among other things. And because its open source, you can basically pimp out the program however you want.

Toonboom's on suicide watch.

OpenToonz

Bet they are not fond of you posting on korean maga boards either

What's the best program for drawing because jesus christ I'm tired of the quality of my lines looking like this instead of solid.

Attached: draw.jpg (773x217, 10K)

>too stupid to turn off antialiasing
You don't need to be using a computer user

Attached: C6561429-F0C6-4AD2-B18B-5272F83606EF.jpg (638x1000, 74K)

I haven't been able to get it to stop that in Gimp all the years I've used it, I considered uninstalling and reinstalling or getting a newer version because it might just be faultily installed but I hear everyone saying Gimp is the worst for drawing so instead I've just been waiting to find out what's good for drawing especially when it's for frames/animation and not just still art.

Don't be a brainlet memer about this.

Use Krita

what's clip-studio's take, aside from the workspace being as much as a clusterfuck as ZBrush?

How's Krita for animation?

Good for traditional animation definitely

Easy to pick up

0 of the fancies found in more complex software (Toom Boom, Blender Grease Pencil, etc.)

It's okay. The onion skinning is great. But their vector tools are some of the worst of any art program.

I started animating thanks to Pivot and Flash to its apex long ago and animating in Flipnote Studio when it came out.
I've zeroed out and suffered such skill decay in many areas that I can't see myself picking it back up.
I tried Krita but I'm too stupid to work with it and Photoshop and the others doesn't work with my tablet.

I took a vocational animation course in high school, and I just graduated from FIT with a BFA in Computer Animation.

Since graduation, life's been kinda slow. I networked at SIGGRAPH a few weeks ago, I'm applying all over for jobs and I'm also boarding a pilot for Snapchat.

>How did you start?
Discovered Newgrounds as a little guy and pirated Flash
>What are you working on?
After years of pause, I finally got back intro animating last year. Made some stuff with a group, and currently working on my first "big" project, the first thing I've ever written and developed by myself. Might try and pitch to Adult Swim. Anyone have any experience with that?

Blendr, which can make either 3d or 2d animations, but can also be a pretty decent video editing software
I've tinkered a bit with Krita, which is pretty decent (even if it crashes all the damned time), and I've also tried out Pencil2d, but that took a lot of plugins just to get working and I never got it to render the video with sound

outside of that, there's OpenToonz, but that has a huge learning curve iirc

pirate flash

>blender
sorry, I was getting it confused with something else

This is a nice thread

>How did you start?
I've actually wanted to be an animator since I was a tyke. Granted, in what field has never been consistent, at first I wanted to work in video games, then movies, now I'm aiming for television considering it's the only place 2D seems to still be alive and well. I used to study animation and drawing books like the Survival Guide religiously, long before I ever started actually animating. I didn't actually start animating til about 2012, when I got a cracked version of Flash from a buddy of mine. Since then I went to school for it (a tiny one, it was no Calarts but I definitely learned a lot) and have been trying to find my niche.

Right now, I'm doing a few animated podcast moments and dumb vidya jokes for funsies, with a few storyboards for original pieces in the works.

>How's life?
Life's pretty good, though hectic. Planning a huge move across the country in the coming months to utilize property my fiancee inherited from her dad so we can get out of the crappy apartment we're stuck in. It's pretty scary but I'm getting by.

Attached: Kyzzwalk3.gif (600x750, 767K)

>a pilot for Snapchat
the fuck does that mean

I went to college for it, dropped out to become a housewife.
Actually working on a Christian cartoon right now despite being a non-practicing Catholic.
Life is nice.

>wife
uh huh

I fucked around with Aseprite and it's pretty intuitive. Here's some dogshit that I cobbled together.

Attached: Neon coffee sign.gif (940x320, 80K)

My brother bought me the animators survival kit when he went to college on financial aid

Attached: Coffee mug v2.gif (210x220, 11K)

That some oc?

She's cute.

Attached: 1547235189740.jpg (400x400, 15K)

>Yea Forums animator or artist thread
>its just women and their self insert OCs
Looks like it hasn't happened to this one yet, so before it does, let me just say that Yea Forums barley understands the principals of animation, we have a few studying it or have studied it but the vast majority doesnt even know what key frames or inbetweens are.

not mine, fiancee's OC, it was a birthday present from a few years ago, but thank you

>Disco-era
YES
E
S

I eagerly look forward to seeing this, whatever it is.

making the best new thing since hellbenders trust me fellas

Networking is crucial. You can put together a show bible that blows everything else out of the water, but few execs will give a shit unless they have some reference on who you are.

I'm working on shit. One of my projects you fags would like and the other you would hate. I'm just going through college and taking my time on my ride. Ain't in no rush.

>touch o' tummy jiggle
>cool design
>bouncy tits
>great colour scheme

Attached: 1548744067151.jpg (818x827, 43K)

I'm trying my best to make something but I don't know if it will ever materialize, I'm doing it all by myself and I can't get a good OST or anything or voice actors and it's hampering me. I can get by without voices because actions and expressions (what little the characters can have) doing the talking is one of my favorite things, but I don't want it to be silent... I also don't want to use OST from movies. It'd hurt to do that.

I don't have anything in a webm format to post but I am working on my final project for a 2D digital animation course that I am taking online.
Here are some rough model sheets.

Attached: TiaraTroubleCharacterModels.jpg (5000x5000, 3.86M)

what...

Is there any way you can change their color schemes? The lime green with the deep orange on the princess character is garish, while the brown and red on the squirrel are too close in tone and just blend together at a glance. Maybe try desaturating the princess' colors and upping the contrast on the squirrel? Blue overalls might look better than red. Good luck.

Those colours are not final; the princess will have her dress switched to purple and I might switch the light and dark but my use of hypersaturation is a self-imposed challenge and push back against the current trend towards soft pastels.
I might give the squirrel green overalls/shoes to have a full 180 around the colour wheel.

>How did you start?

I always loved animation but it wasn’t until I saw Andrew Dickman’s Flash animations did I realize how easily it can be done. Then I saw Egoraptor post his cartoons on YouTube, and I decided I wanted to do the same.

Working for the Yo Mama series on YouTube. I also run my own YouTube channel making cringey cartoon crossovers like Team Teen . I’m glad I can work on cartoons with my OCs, but I wish I could do it more often.

>How's life?

Doing pretty good, hoping to expand my production crew. Hoping to someday move closer to D.C. I’m tired of the podunk southern town life.

I started with sprite animation because I loved Maplestory as a kid and watched this cool thing called Maple Kombat, I soon went into stick figures and then actual animation. Had to quit when I went to college. I'm on the academic investigation right now due to the fact my teacher is an idiot and apparently, my score was too high and they thought I cheated. I'm in a business college of "Suits who care" and they're all amateur animators but they brag about their connections to CN and Disney so maybe the next generation is ok

bump since i want to learn how to animate too
really nice user, any tips for a begginer/zero level like me?

this

Not that user, but you should practice drawing everyday, observe how people move and everything moves, and buy Richard Williams Animators Survival Kit.

Not much of one but I went to school for it and have a degree in it. I started with sprite movies in middle/high school. Even for the time they were pretty lame. Right now I'm just trying to do little things here and there so I can stay in practice.

Attached: Toothy2.gif (560x315, 180K)

>How did you start
I got pic related and

Attached: 91uK3Ka8wmL.jpg (2163x2560, 540K)

what said
the Survival Kit isn't necessary but it's a great jumping off point

More importantly, learn timing. More than anything else, timing is the A-number-one most important thing to animation. You can have crap drawing skills and still get by on your timing.
In specifics, I'm talking:
-Learn how to space your keyframes properly.
-Understand the concepts of ease in and ease out.
-Study the effects of gravity on different materials, ie how fast or slow heavier things fall and bounce compared to lighter things.
-Make sure important actions a character does are properly timed and framed to allow the audience to not only see, but to comprehend them

I say those are the absolute basics you should focus on at the moment. Anatomy and drawing comprehension honestly come second to fundamentals

Attached: Abby.gif (500x800, 155K)

I'm trying to go back to drawing/animating after stoping for 3 years. It feels like I completely forgot how to draw and I don't know where to even begin. I've been doing figure and hand drawings every day but it doesn't feel like I'm advancing much, once in a while a sketch comes out like it used to but I lack the fundamentals to make it happen more than once.
Where's a good place to begin to learn character drawing from literal zero?

I say those are the absolute basics you should focus on at the moment. Anatomy and drawing comprehension honestly come second to fundamentals

I guess that’s why the animators at SCAD didn’t have the best drawing skills.
Timing is more important, but I highly recommend developing developing solid drawing skills, it is one of the 12 principles of animation after all.

Speaking of which, here’s a quick vid about them:
youtu.be/pDVfNf5GvPg

thank you very much anons

thanks!

I started animating in college, but didn't get into it until my third year. My first two teachers didn't really teach, they just gave out assignments and critiques so I thought maybe animation wasn't for me and focused on storyboarding. My third year teacher helped me with understanding timing, spacing, anticipations, how to flip, how to think when working on animation and I was getting better by my fourth year. Unfortunately, by that time I graduated, I was only half good at everything, great at nothing. I got a paid internship and it helped me get future freelance work at that same studio for a couple of years.

It felt like the only way to get an animation work was to be great at animation to begin with (IE: Learning on your own time), because the scarcity of jobs doesn't allow for amateurs to fill high-priority positions and eventually get good over the years. If you aren't great at frame-by-frame animation, you get saddled with a lot of puppet-based work which was not comfortable to work in at all if you haven't adjusted to that kind of rigging style of animation.

I've since moved on to a storyboard position on a pre-school and kind of gave up trying to compete with way more talented animators for work. Now I might animate once in awhile for fun, but rarely show people. Gif related was part of the last commercial I got to animate on which was some time in early 2018.

Attached: Rough-to-Final.gif (455x462, 882K)

Requesting more of you guys' work!
As a lurker I love these threads,

i'm studying animation and vfx but it's 3 semester a year for 3 1/2 years (4 months of class for each level) so generally we have around 6 different classes with projects due each 2/1 week so i haven't done anything that i'm really invested in and instead do the cheapest/fastest thing available, as soon i graduate plan on doing a dating sim game using 2dlive if i can't get an animation/rig/storyboard job

Attached: Screen_Recording_2019-04-15_at_9.50.35_PM.webm (902x480, 567K)

2d of my oc donut steel tried to go for an rpg vibe never fixed the leg position

Attached: Bunninjaclaw.gif (500x509, 358K)

>Actually working on a Christian cartoon right now despite being a non-practicing Catholic.
Funny, I'm a practicing Catholic currently in the very early phases of writing my second animated movie about Christianity. They're never getting made though rip me

Aren't there church-based grants for media, particularly for creators who are ordained?

I pretty much just started on a whim.
I did a few sprite gifs here and there back in the day, but I never actually started animating something until I got into college because my friends were all animation majors.

Right now I'm working on my own webcomic since I finally possess the drawing ability to do it. Life could be better, I wish I could find a job but nobody here wants to hire me. Maybe once in a blue moon I get a commission so I can immediately spend it all on video games.

Attached: 1514264843769.jpg (500x375, 43K)

Eh, to an extent (never heard of needing to be ordained though) but what I'm doing isn't really the kind of thing for that, even though I've got some knowledgible people looking at my stuff right now.

I'm busy with a lot of other shit right now (one of which is cartoon related though) so those ideas aren't ones I really have much time to develop.

That's real cute, love the scarf srms

Still skirting around in small studios but should break it into the big leagues soon, finally.

Regret nothing. At small studios I only make 25-30 an hour, but that's probably more than most of the people who laughed at my career choice in high school make now.

Got overeager and didnt respond to the questions exactly
>How did you start?
I always knew I wanted to make cartoons. I went to art school.
Just work and doing some training in my off time to improve enough to work at better studios.
>How's life?
Animation industry is terrifying honestly, because it's unstable no matter what. Unless you're the cream of the crop, your next job is always up in the air. I'm thankful that I'm managing to stay afloat, but I'm determined to get my work to the level where I can stop worrying about if I will be employed. But as I said, regret nothing. I live pretty good all things considered.

>How did you start
Drawing as a kid and making flipbooks. Went to art school for animation which in the end wasn't at all necessary to learn the craft, but I met lots of likeminded people and industry folks which helped me find work.
>What are you working on
Currently animating for a kids tv show that seems to be getting international traction, which is cool to have my name on there.
>How's life
For the first time since graduating four years ago I'm feeling very happy with myself. After getting my degree finding work was a real hassle, being unemployed for months at a time between jobs was very stressful, but now I'm finally starting to find semi-regular work. Earlier this year I worked on my first feature film, and the kids show production I'm on now will last for at least another year, so I finally don't have to worry about having to look for work for a while, and I'm making more money so I don't have to be as strict with my money as I used to. So yeah, life is probably the best it's been in a long time.

Started by making a pony animation for halloween as a one off, but really enjoyed it and kept making more.

Working on original series and some freelance work.

Pretty good all things considered

Attached: smugbun.gif (771x636, 160K)

Bump

Bump!

Thanks. I'll try to get it out early next year.

Always liked to draw but parents say you can't make money off art. Even tho they payed for art tuition when I was a kid (I was 10-12 or smth) I couldn't learn how to draw and failed entrance exams for art school. I've been trying to learn how do draw with all of my seriousness since I was 17 y/o and welp, I peaked at 20 and now I slowly falling into tumblr-tier art abyss. Years have passed and I still have same skill level as I was at 20 even tho I'm 27 now. Was I working not hard enough? Was I learning from bad sources? Do I have a learning disorder? I guess all of the above so I left all attempts of trying to master art. Instead I tried to do a 3d and digital sculpting and actually liked it before one day I watched this vid and it was so fascinating. I tried to learn adobe AE and toon boon before but couldn't figure out what to do and with blender - I did my first animation in like a few days. Anyways, since frame-by-frame animation requires at least some decent drawing skill I dropped it in preference to 2.5d and 3d animation.

Attached: 0000-030.webm (778x410, 587K)

oh goddammit I hate handbrake sometimes

Attached: output.webm (778x410, 783K)