Year 2019

>year 2019
>Wholesomeness is the new Edge

Egads. Bravo, Jhonen.

Attached: Dib and Membrane.jpg (1920x3240, 3.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

zim.fandom.com/wiki/Mopiness_of_Doom_(Transcript)
mega.nz/#!F4szUa5b!ET2Oo2TZMdoYXASFyLRZesapD0ew0XDaCKjTvdacQeY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

really gotta work on my invader zim filters too

How could someone change so much in over 10 years?

Membraine knew Zim was an alien the entire time the only reason he didn't care at all about Dib's psychotic ramblings of nonsense about Zim is that Membraine knew Dib mostly had it under control he didn't need to step in

>wholesomeness upsets and triggers user

I guess it is the new edge.

Heck even in the old show Membrane must have know his boy was no slouch. Kid was making walking dead in his room

Zim's production ended on 2002, user.

>Wholesomeness is the new Edge
>Wholesomeness
a lame word used by out of touch middle aged men AND women.
I wish it was but it's not better than the faux-happiness about disgustingly codependent tripe

he wanted dib to go into real sience and was convinced he was crazy

I know it isn’t true, but I like the idea. Mopiness of Doom showed Dib had all his father’s intelligence when he applies himself, so I guess it would be Membrane letting Dib handle Zim so he’d learn how to get things done even when alone.

>doesn't know about the movie

To be honest I was more surprised with Gaz genuine display of affection by not mocking Dib when he was moping and giving him motivation. In the series the only times Gaz did anything or saved Dib always felt more out of maintining status quo or getting something she wanted like in the episode where she saved Dib just to go the Pizza place.
This time I actually felt she cared.

They had to differentiate her from Mandy somehow

Yeah she's a bit less nihilistic here.

Stop using that word wrong

I feel like this is the first time that, in her eyes, shit actually got real. Like she said earlier in the movie, Zim loosing or fucking up is usually a given, but this is the first time that he actually won (even if it were only for a few hours).

Are you surprised that kids are codependent?

I liked how they made fun of people who believe in worldpeace
Chicken and rice

It's really very obvious Jhonen started to regret all the abuse Dib got in the series, stopped finding it funny, and wanted to get some relief for the character as what might be their final send-off as far as TV/movie-based media goes. Dib was always Jhonen's favorite character, so it makes sense he would change Gaz to be nice to him and Membrane to be supportive.

They aren't great changes for comedy, but I guess something different is what makes it a "special" instead of just the same thing we saw in the episodic cartoon.

jhonen moved on.

This is so Kafkaesque.

The comics still have Dib getting dumped on, though. He probably just wanted something different for the movie.

>It's really very obvious Jhonen started to regret all the abuse Dib got in the series, stopped finding it funny, and wanted to get some relief for the character as what might be their final send-off as far as TV/movie-based media goes.
As other people have pointed out, the characterization in EtF is closer to the original pitch for Invader Zim which specifically notes Professor Membrane as being a good dad who tries his best to be with his children despite being really busy. At some point in the shuffle of production it wound up with Membrane and Gaz being horribly abusive towards Dib, and Dib not being enough of an asshole himself to warrant that treatment.

'When I talk about the show, I always talk about it being from the future, where everyone knows what humanity did wrong, and so this show is just this kind of a relic that everyone’s fascinated by. “Look how awful people used to be. Look how dirty the world used to be. Look how negligent everyone used to be to the world that’s falling apart around them.” I think a lot people see that as just sheer cynicism, but it was never that for me. There’s an element of cynicism to it, for sure. But, I always liked stuff like that growing up, knowing full well that it wasn’t stuff to emulate.'

-Jhonen Vasquez

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-08-16-20h13m28s563.png (1920x1080, 1.42M)

Membrane never came across as horrible and abusive, but very disappointed in his son. I guess you can kind of call that a form of abuse, but if anyone here was basically Elon Musk and their son was going around chasing Bigfoot, I think it would be fair to say disappointment is a reasonable reaction.

The major difference, of course, is that in this universe, Bigfoot is real. But we're putting it through the perspective that the audience knows and everyone else doesn't.

I think he’s talking more about how neglected Dib was. Like how he almost died multiple times breaking into his Dad’s tv show to see him, but Membrane didn’t even recognise that Dib was his son and had his guards drag him outside. Not abusive imo, just a normal part of Dib’s intrinsically shitty life.

To be fair his dad is basically the most important and busiest man on the planet. It also wouldn't be surprising if he dealt with shit like that every day with people going to those lengths to see him

This. Membrane loves his boy but is sad he doesn't pursue REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL SCIENCE like he does. Especially considering that Dib is actually good at it too.

The excuse why Membrane didn't recognize Dib was that he was in body armor. It's still ridiculous, but it wasn't pure blindness. Membrane also wanted to wait to introduce his kids to show off the infinity energy machine, so they do mean something to him even in the original show.

It is obvious that Membrana loves her children, the problem was the relationship between Dib and Gaz.

I really enjoyed Membrane’s Iron Man sequence at the end because it was basically just adult Dib from “Dib’s wonderful life of Doom” (even if that was a simulation).

Attached: BF0CCA20-BE6D-4974-8F9E-036EF8928A34.png (500x488, 354K)

Better pic

Attached: BA70C41D-EC4D-4591-8A01-CF0F6343CB2D.jpg (451x338, 34K)

I really like this change to be honest. In the original show everyone treated Dib like shit and the overall atmosphere just seemed really cold and unfeeling in a pretty offputting way.

Bad to ask how would you interpret the part in Mopiness of Doom where Dib finds himself unhappy of being scientist and goes back to status quo of being a paranormal investigator and stop Zim? Transcript of it goes as follows

[Membrane is banging his head on the table. Gaz walks by and watches.]

Membrane: Where did I go wrong!!?

zim.fandom.com/wiki/Mopiness_of_Doom_(Transcript)

Audio for hearing:

mega.nz/#!F4szUa5b!ET2Oo2TZMdoYXASFyLRZesapD0ew0XDaCKjTvdacQeY

I liked his Iron Man sequence too because it showed that his obsession with "real" science was largely legitimate as it allows him to do some incredible things while Dib himself is largely a bit player in the last act of the film apart from repairing the ship (which flies itself)

Attached: membrane beam.gif (500x281, 1.33M)

>"Son, you know how you have your obsession with the supernatural. Mine is not only to SCIENCE, but to Japanese ANIMATION!"

FPBP

Are you being facetious?

I don’t know, are you being a bitch?

Does anyone got the scene of them fighting together? It was cute seeing Dib bang on the robot's head with the suitcase to contribute.

>bit player
I wouldn’t exactly call him that. Membrane trashed the robots and hacked minimoose, but it was Dib and Gaz who actually retrieved minimoose. Let alone how Tak’s ship playing a role is itself a product of Dib’s past efforts against Zim.

Wuh oh, someone call the student loan department. We have a stray english graduate bitter at the world here.

There was that Bad Bad Rubber Piggy episode where Prof Membrane did built a giant robotic suit machine that brought Dib back to life.

One could say he wanted to show off the suit and it's incredibility abilities by using his son as an experiment. But at least he was able to save his son after the increasing number of rubber pig accidents. We can't even think about how Dib lived his life in that robot suit before and after Zim came around.

you didn't deny it salty codger.

Well, if a shark you thought was your friend ate your arms, you'd make new ones too