What defines a superhero in your opinion? Is Hellboy a superhero to you?

What defines a superhero in your opinion? Is Hellboy a superhero to you?

Attached: B379F7B1-C218-430C-82A0-113FF85A562E.jpg (534x712, 66K)

Usually if they fight crime or save the world, helps if they have superpowers, somewhat stupid costume. As for Hlleboy, nah, he’s his own kind of guy though not everybody agrees.

Attached: FB0B920C-AC2E-4C7B-9749-58216D0FAF4D.jpg (1038x1600, 340K)

No. Hellboy is like The Ghostbusters; a blue collar worker doing a dirty supernatural job. A superhero is an individual who puts on a costume to inspire people, give them hope or fear, and seeks to benefit the community

Hellboy is a pulp hero like the lobster guy, very closely related to superheroes but predating them.

Someone who stops criminals and saves the innocent no matter the gender or Race

Attached: Fren+acquired+good+story+hep+_09a72f3f2a378af0e941d60c1a07192d.jpg (1000x800, 78K)

Sounds like Hellboy, costume and all

That’s not a costume, nor does he actively seek to stop crime. He basically shows up, talks to the monster, asks nicely to knock it off, then he usually has to kill it to his dismay. It’s his only real chance to socialize. It’s his job

So is Dr Fate a superhero?

Define crime

Eh, mugging,assassinations, wrecking a city,attempted murder of a whole planet, that kind of shit.

Yes because he’s proactively defending the realm. Hellboy is kind of like a first responder

So, when someone is reactive, (s)he's not a superhero?

Given how niche he is, dealing only with misbehaving supernatural beings by order of the government, yes

Definitely super-hero coded, but I don't see him doing monitor duty on the League or anything. He's just a weird guy carrying out his function.

Superhero checklist:

>impractical symbolic costume
>impossible powers/resources
>the desire to do the most good within the limits of the law whenever possible
>a complete disregard for one's own safety and well being
>a comparable villain or antagonistic force

Anyone who dresses up in spandex and a Cape and fights crime and saves people and has superpowers, either physical strength or extremely intelligent. They should have a boy scout mentality too

I wouldn't consider hellboy a superhero.

Other than the impratical costume all of those fit HB.

even then his overcoat probably classifies as impractical since it always burns up or gets ripped to shreds an he's clearly trying to pull a Frank Miller by wearing it since his useful shit is usually in his belt.

Attached: image0001.jpg (928x1190, 297K)

>What defines a superhero in your opinion
1. has special abilities or powers
2. generally tries to do good or right wrongs

Guess Batman isn't a fuckin' Superhero due to his lack of special abilities.

????
He has special abilities though. Detective skills, martial arts, use of gadgets, etc.

His ludicrous wealth, and ninja skills count.

I remember getting some anons butthurt when I called The Invisibles capeshit, which it is

Morrison himself doesn't consider it so so it can't be. Ultimatey, this seems to be the qualifier, whether Mignola thinks Hellboy is a cape or Morrison thinks King Mob could be in the JLA.

I remember reading that Morrison said the opposite

What fucking costume?

Would you call Savage Dragon a superhero? He has superhuman abilities, but he's a cop and specifically does not engage in vigilante activity. Hellboy is similar, up until Conqueror Worm he's essentially just an FBI agent. After Conqueror Worm, he just kind of wanders around trying to find himself and shit tries to attack him. Not really a superhero.

People want to say he isn’t but idk how you read all the Hellboy comics and BPRD comics and not see how it’s like a superhero comic. It’s all one shared universe with a bunch of spinoff titles, it has its history begin with WWII, just like every other superhero universe, it has an organization of good guys with funny names and outfits and powers go against an organization of bad guys with funny names and outfits and powers.

I think a lot of people have it in their head that superhero means vigilante. It’s not that simple. The superhero “genre” has expanded to mean so many things over the years that I absolutely feel the Mignolaverse falls under it. All you gotta do is read it to see it.

>People want to say he isn’t but idk how you read all the Hellboy comics and BPRD comics and not see how it’s like a superhero comic
Its pulp and univesal horror you fucking philistine
>It’s all one shared universe with a bunch of spinoff titles
You mean like fucking Law and Order?
>it has its history begin with WWII
So does Metal Gear
>it has an organization of good guys with funny names and outfits and powers go against an organization of bad guys with funny names and outfits and powers.
Theres precisely one guy who has a "funny name", Hellboy. One guy. The BPRD is essentially just spook FBI, and all of four guys with powers. The only guy with a funny uniform is Johann.

> The superhero “genre”
Its not a Genre.

You can knit pick all you want, I’ve read a lot of superheroes, I’ve read a lot of Mignolaverse, and it’s obvious that the Mignolaverse is just an “alternative” superhero comic. He fact that it bothers you so much that someone thinks this way is telling, as though being a superhero comic is a mark of “low art”. Get over yourself

Stop trying to read my mind you stupid retard, your shit is just dumb conjecture.

Mignola has openly stated Hellboy is not a superhero, and that he's based off old universal horror movies, his father, and pulp media from the 30s.

It can be based on all it wants, in execution it’s a superhero comic. The Mignolaverse is just a hot topic version of a superhero universe. You’re not going to tell me I didn’t read what I read

No im telling you you're a retard and you're wrong. Hellboy is not a superhero and the Hellboy universe is not a superhero universe.

Do you think fucking Dracula is capeshit?

They've got to he a proper vigilante, with a secret identity.
Not working for a government or spy agency.
They've got to have a specialty, not necessarily a super power, but a specific skill that they are above average in, preferably only one or two.
Super Powers are preferred but optional.

You aren’t changing my mind And I’m not changing yours, and since calling the Beatles pop or Rock doesn’t actually change the sound of the song coming from the speakers, it’s a fruitless conversation .

OP asked if I consider it a superhero comic or not and why, I said so. You came out of The woodwork to knit pick my post. I’m done talking to you faggot

>knit pick
How about you learn english before you try arguing the meaning of words, retard.

And its not nit picking, you retard, you just described vague elements you can ascribe to like half of fiction. I literally named Metal Gear. Is Metal Gear a superhero universe? Because all of that shit not only applies to Metal Gear, but it applies ten times more than to Hellboy.

Isnt Lobster Johnson considered a super hero by Hellboy?

The Lobster is essentially just The Shadow or The Spider. He's an old fashioned pulp hero.

Special Name
Special Appearance
Special Abilities

So long as he is not corrupt and is dedicated to his job, sure

WHat makes Hellboy and his universe superhero to me is the combination of all those things. You going point by point and saying dumb shit like “well iz law and order a superhero??” Is nit picking , Fuck off. And hilariously you making fun of me spelling it “knit picking” is a prime example OF nit picking . Don’t reply to me anymore

METAL GEAR HAS ALL OF THAT SHIT TEN FOLD.

IS METAL GEAR A SUPERHERO UNIVERSE YES OR NO.

I never played metal gear so I’m not qualified to answer that. I have however read all the Mignolaverse comics and a silly amount of superhero comics. We are after all talking about comic books. But sure if someone wants to consider Metal Gear a superhero they can go for it, because I don’t have autism. This is why I stopped going on Yea Forums. Bunch of genre autism. You’d love it there

YOU CAN'T ACCUSE SOMEONE OF HAVING AUTISM JUST BECAUSE THEY TYPE IN ALL CAPS

THAT'S UNFAIR TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BROKEN KEYBOARDS

Ya you’re right. On behalf of all keyboard privileged folk, I apologize