What exactly made these episodes so infuriating that assblasted so many people back in the day?

What exactly made these episodes so infuriating that assblasted so many people back in the day?

Attached: img94.jpg (558x374, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IkQ5oARNxLU
youtube.com/watch?v=6rxdhKRODLw#t=57s
koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/03/177_265629.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Making Skinner a fraud
Cringe celebrity cameo by Kid Rock
Weird “jockeys are mystical” plot
Homer becomes a whore who gets raped by a panda

1 was a really dumb retcon that made no sense and was unapologetic about not making any sense. Some argue it paved the way for more ridiculous and unsatisfying plots.

2 was an overall dumb episode without a satisfying plot or conflict and was filled with tons of extremely dated cameos and references.

3's plot just felt like an asspull.

4 was genuinely unsettling and not in a funny way, and the ending was bizarre and unsatisfying.

I actually like the Horse episode. Not the best, far from it, but it was enjoyable. I didn't knew people had issues with it.

Top left was a random retcon that undid a ton of established stuff with Skinner that retroactively made a lot of his best scenes total lies.
Top right was a bizarrely out of date episode even when it aired, and the plot felt like it was written up at the last minute.
Bottom left was just a fucking weird episode that added a bunch of mystical nonsense that wasn't used for a single joke, but a central plot point.
Bottom right wasn't just unfunny, but seemed to actually revel in torturing Homer, who really didn't do anything to deserve what was happening to him.

the top left was just terrible writing
they took one key aspect of a popular character and ruined it completely for a cheap one-off joke
it's the writing equivalent of killing the golden goose

No the most aggravating episode of 2000s-era Simpsons is Lisa not calling out the church for being a den of thieves and running away to convert to Buddhism in which since that episode is horrible at it.

Panda rape and jockey elves were the Scully writing team deliberately giving a huge fuck you to Internet Simpsons fans.

You got a source on this?

They were too episodic/cartoony for some fans

>Simpsons has panda rape homer in an animalistic manner when he is dressed as a female panda. Uses it to show how low Homer has fallen and advances the plot.
>”omg new low worst episode”
>Family Guy has bull rape peter in a very human way, depicting it how many abusive relationships actually are and plays it as a joke
>”haha family guy so wacky lol”
I honestly don’t get the hate for homer vs dignity

Attached: B9F5E075-04A5-44AB-B2A1-70AFD00A4147.jpg (512x512, 19K)

The Simpsons at its peak was a lot higher bar of humor than FG.

The DVD commentary for Simpson Safari where they said they deliberately wrote the episode in such a way as to annoy Usenet Simpsons nerds. There were numerous other statements by Scully and others attacking the fanbase.

as an oldfag I can confirm; the entire Internet (read: Usenet's alt.tv.simpsons) was completely assblasted about The Principal and the Pauper when it came out and the writers started deliberately throwing out continuity as a big "fuck you" to the endless nerd whining
But somewhere along the way they went from "being shitty to spite Usenet" to just "being shitty"

Oakley and Weinstein seem to be the only showrunners who genuinely appreciate the fans and enjoy interacting with them.

holy dick
Defunctland could write something on this

Pandas are noted for not being that horny

Family Guy never had the high standards The Simpsons have/had

Attached: 883966.jpg (640x480, 61K)

There's a reason the humor got so mean and spiteful around season 10

1. The very concept of Principal Skinner being an imposter is in contradiction to his entire characterization. Normally it's assumed that Skinner's behaviour is the result of borderline abusive parenting and war trauma, this episode instead makes it so that he's playing up a persona to feel like he has a purpose in life. While one could argue the episode and ending is a well put together satire of soap opera plotlines, the fact that they had to mess with one of the most well established characters to do it was seen as awful.

2. The episode only has a plot because Homer acts like an asshole from beginning to end. It's not even a good plot either, it's just the Simpsons going from place to place and it's resolved by the Alligator being alive the entire time. It's also a really thinly veiled excuse to shit on southerners, not like the show hadn't done that before but really the only reason that episode exists. There's really no point.

3. It's yet another retarded plot that is more focused on being wacky than making sense. Not only does it come across as "Have we done an episode in which one of the characters becomes a jockey? No? Good, let's do that!", it's the fact that a bunch of elves show up out of nowhere to be the villains. It's extremely contrived.

4, Yes, Panda rape is the main reason. Seeing Homer subject himself to humiliation over and over again isn't that funny, panda rape doesn't make it more funny, if anything it just makes it more disturbing.

The sad thing is that I could probably find 8 more recent episodes that are even worse than these, the series really does fin ways to reach new lows.

Attached: solid skinner.png (1689x1100, 716K)

>The DVD commentary for Simpson Safari
The one where they go to Africa because of animal crackers? I loved that one, especially the gag with the hippopotamus and the egg. There are people who complained about that one?

Well, you just nailed it: the problem is that the simpsons went down to the level of Family guy humor.

I thought the panda rape was funny...

That was a D- episode.

Sneed

So Al Jean gets rid of the Homer torture/humiliation from the Scully seasons and instead replaces it with Bart torture/humiliation in every other episode.

It was at least a C+. there were no boring parts and every jokes landed. None of them were bad.

Modern simpsons wish it was at that level.

Seriously, I've never understood why anti-racists got Apu taken away, but Moe Szylak remains a beloved staple of the show. Don't get me wrong, I love sleaze, but even I get douch chills from his decades of overexposure.

>Beyond Blunderdome
4/10
>Brother's Little Helper
3/10
>Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner
6/10
>E-I-E-I-D'oh
5/10
>Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder
2/10
>Eight Misbehavin'
3/10
>Take My Wife, Sleaze
7/10
>Grift of the Magi
3/10
>Little Big Mom
5/10
>Faith Off
2/10
>The Mansion Family
7/10
>Saddlesore Galactica
3/10
>Alone Again, Natura-Diddily
6/10
>Missionary: Impossible
5/10
>Pygmoelian
5/10
>Bart to the Future
2/10
>Days of Wine and D'oh'ses
5/10
>Kill the Alligator and Run
1/10
>Last Tap Dance in Springfield
5/10
>It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge
3/10
>Behind the Laughter
3/10

>A Tale of Two Springfields
-1/10
>Insane Clown Poppy
6/10
>Lisa the Tree Hugger
3/10
>Homer vs. Dignity
0/10
>The Computer Wore Menace Shoes
1/10
>The Great Money Caper
-1/10
>Skinner's Sense of Snow
4/10
>HOMR
4/10
>Pokey Mom
4/10
>Worst Episode Ever
7/10
>Tennis the Menace
2/10
>Day of the Jackanapes
3/10
>New Kids on the Blecch
3/10
>Hungry, Hungry Homer
5/10
>Bye Bye Nerdie
5/10
>Simpson Safari
0/10
>Trilogy of Error
3/10
>I'm Goin' To Praiseland
6/10
>Children of a Lesser Clod
1/10
>Simpsons Tall Tales
4/10

>Retcon and reverse

>Isn't that bad just bland

>Elf jockeys don't belong in a non-Halloween ep. Would be ok for a 3s joke but they made it a plot point.

>It wasn't funny

>inb4 complaints that they don't do any Lisa torture/humiliation

That explains Comic Book Guy going, “Um, the Simpsons already HAD a horse,” and Homer’s, “Does anyone care what this man says?” Unfortunately for Scully, ironically worst episode ever is still worst episode ever.

Principal and the Pauper is still a solid episode with amazing jokes. If you don't get assblasted over the fact that they retconned and changed an entire character is less than 22 minutes, it is still up there with the rest of the season.
I do completely understand why people dislike it, but I don't have a need to skip the episode when it does appear.

They used CBG as their strawman to beat up on Internet Simpsons fans.

>Unfortunately for Scully, ironically worst episode ever is still worst episode ever.
Mr. Rogers drunk is pretty funny but CBG and Skinner's mom making out wasn't necessary.

What's so outdated about that episode?

>That explains Comic Book Guy going, “Um, the Simpsons already HAD a horse,” and Homer’s, “Does anyone care what this man says?”
That line was actually funny, though. for an epsioe which overal wasn't that bad. Making the elves real was weird, sure, but it didn't really detriment the episode or any of the established Simpsons "lore". so, it's really a far call to compare it to the Principal and the pauper.

>ironically worst episode ever is still worst episode ever.
But it wasn't a bad episode.

Saw the panda rape episode as a kid and I didn't particularly felt offended so I have no idea why people are so angry about it

Maybe I should re-watch it

Creators turn on their fans like that as a defence mechanism when they know they are wrong and cant make anything good anymore or dont want to because they are lazy
They convince themselves their is something wrong/evil with the fans, and they need to be punished with their creations and there is nothing wrong with their creations

I meant the jockey episode. CBG comes in with a “Worst Episode Ever” T-shirt later on. The jockey episode was ironically bad but also just plain regular bad.

Formerly Chuckblasted

Principal and The Pauper fucked with Simpsons lore. The rest were just too ridiculous and/or mean-spirited.

Attached: Simpsons 2019.png (1352x1762, 191K)

>I meant the jockey episode.
Well, yeah, I know, it wasn't a bad episode. it was stupid, but it wasn't bad.

The real question is why Homer being raped by a panda is seen as more of a low point than Homer being raped by Marge.

>"All Singing, All Dancing" ranked that low
fuck off with your bullshit

Clip shows always lose points

Spousal rape wasn;t a thing yet

Bruised dick isn't worse than animal spunk leaking into anal fissures.

Was the latest season really that bad? It looks like it took a sharp fucking nosedive even compared to the other post-golden age ones.

Attached: Nirvana.jpg (1920x1440, 741K)

We didn't know it could get worse

Attached: Simpsons S30.png (1366x1391, 139K)

>you'll never stop the simpsons
>have no fears we've got stories for years

They fucking dared us to keep watching and we fell for it

>unapologetic about not making any sense.

like the time Lisa discovered corruption, changed the culture in Washington DC and got her senator arrested in the space of a weekend

>an overall dumb episode without a satisfying plot or conflict and was filled with tons of extremely dated cameos and references

excuse me sir did you say The Otto Show

>plot just felt like an asspull

it's more a retread of Bart joining the mob and then getting out with no comeuppance

> was genuinely unsettling and not in a funny way

yeah, this one I'll give you

also Stark Raving Dad, certainly within a few years of it being released and for the duration since

SSG broke one of the show's established rules that Matt Groening had always been big on, which was no anthro animals. Since Groening was busy with Futurama at the time and almost totally ignored the Simpsons, they were able to get away with stuff like this.

>and will continue to air from now until the show is no longer profitable.

The joke is that we thought it was a joke. (I didn’t.)

Is this loss?

youtube.com/watch?v=IkQ5oARNxLU
ha ha that really showed those freakin nerds
*crashes your franchise*

Harry Shearer is the only person who works on the show that's actually said the truth about Zombie Simpsons.

principal and the pauper is far to meta, like the writers really wanted to dig it in that they don't really care about the show and those who cared about continuity.
spring break is peak jerkass homer

the racing horse episode is only really hated for the jockey elves but people should have seen it coming when they start the episode off with them commenting on not caring about them not caring about whats already been done

i never really had a problem with homer vs dignity honestly
i mean the panda rape is pretty bad, but other than that wouldn't consider it one of the worst

i would only really put principal and the pauper in a top 10 list of worst episodes though. maybe the spring break one too

>Seriously, I've never understood why anti-racists got Apu taken away
Nobody got anyone taken away. The writing staff already felt weird about Apu and decided to soft-retire him two years before "The Problem With Apu" came out. And Hari didn't even want Apu taken away anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=6rxdhKRODLw#t=57s

Anyone shitting on Prince & the Pauper, please remember this happened

PATP was denounced by Groening, most of the writers, and all of the voice actors. Only Oakley, Weinstein, and Ken Keeler defend it.

So Yea Forums all agrees that Simpson and Delilah is the best episode, right?

Attached: 1503345718731.jpg (512x384, 86K)

It's ok but there are better Season 2 ones.

Attached: Lisa.png (1015x727, 620K)

Granted there are some cases where the fans simply take an episode or its message out of context and fail to understand what the writers were trying to do. In the case of Mike Scully, he knew the show had gone to pot and just threw a temper tantrum because fans pointed this out.

The show STILL does cheap racist gags about other cultures that no-one on the staff knows anything about koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/03/177_265629.html

Attached: godless gooks and their pagan idols.png (682x702, 489K)

Didn't Oakley and Weinstein kill of a proposed script for an episode that dealt with race relations in Springfield?

>continuity

there's your problem

they never had a continuity, they had a setting

he's been saying that since season 3

>extremely dated cameos and references.

kid rock and the 2000s era of MTV spring break culture.

>giving a huge fuck you to Internet Simpsons fans.

Based Scully

there's no way, all of those sound horribly bad. jesus christ.

Attached: yo what the fuck.jpg (547x692, 75K)

What key aspect of Skinner did they ruin?

People were confused and scared. That's all it was.

To be fair even Last Exit To Springfield would be beyond horrifying if it was made in the HD seasons.

Go to bed Mike Scully.

Don't think I've seen the episodes on the bottom, but the upper left one was bad because it butchered an already established character.

Didn't know that the top right one was that hated, I mean it's not a good episode but not that super bad.

Half of these are opinions.

Homer was attacked by a panda, not raped.

>we were only pretending to be retarded, u mad

But there's way worse clip shows than that one

1: Id be funnyer if the 'other skinner' was the imposter and he had dirt on actual skinner from nam' not too sure how to write it other than still giving the use-net fags a brief heart attack without breaking anything.

2: I fucking remember nothing of this episode, eather it was that bad or that unmemorable.

3: I didnt find this one horrible other than the elf thing, a better joke is that the come off elf-ish and still have the jokes thrown at them without them actualy being elves.

4: I barely remember this one as well, wasent this about homer being a money whore doing degrading things? a funny ending would eather have CBG thinking he was on a date or some shit.

1 made complete sense. The only ones who say it didn't don't really understand the show.

Dated cameos and references aren't inherently bad.

No.

4 was about 3-5 seconds of screen time.

Calm yourself.

>Joe C has been dead 19 years

and yet Kid Prep School is still pretending to be a hillbilly

the other skinner was the imposter and anybody who says different does so under penalty of torture

>4 was genuinely unsettling and not in a funny way

Oh come on, it was just a little rape. Try it yourself sometime, it’s not so bad.

I unironically like "Kill the Aligator and Run".

Didn't they already do the "lol Homer's fat just like Bhudda" joke in the episode where they went to China?

So's Mike Rowe.

whats ironic is that after that episode they really started focusing on the ongoing plot of Skinner and Edna

And Rob Zombie. They've all been at it so long they've started to believe they actually are rednecks instead of yuppie art students pretending to be rednecks.

Didn't they also bring Mr. Bergstrom back?

Wasnt Homer raped twice this season?

They wouldn't have the balls to do that with Marge getting raped by a panda.

>Making the elves real was weird, sure, but it didn't really detriment the episode or any of the established Simpsons "lore".
Really? Having a bunch of fucking elves chasing Homer down the street? Elves that live in a fiberglass tree underground?

They had Marge rape Homer, user. But to be fair Marge was also raped in an episode of Family Guy by Quagmire.

>he shocked to learn that women being raped isn't funny to most people

Why though would you think men being raped is funny? It really isn't.

It's more like the ol' "If a man gets raped he's obviously a weakling who can't defend himself or his community therefore he becomes the subject of mockery" trope.

I agree with you but plenty of comedy films and shows feature it as a gag even to this day so there is obviously a group of people who do think its funny.

It's only funny if it's woman-on-woman rape.

That's more sexy than funny.

I'll screencap this for when your daughter gets manhandled by some butch dyke school gym teacher or camp counselor.

sneed

There are a ton of great ideas for episodes they've never used instead of Homer/Marge marriage crisis #5395784.

examples?

SNEED