Henry Golding To Star In SNAKE EYES Solo Movie

>"Crazy Rich Asians" breakout Henry Golding is in advanced talks to play the lead character in Paramount Pictures' upcoming "G.I. Joe" spinoff SNAKE EYES, directed by Robert Schwentke from a script penned by Evan Spiliotopoulos.

>The movie follows "a soldier who seeks revenge for his father’s death by joining an ancient ninja clan, in process finding acceptance and purpose in defending the world from evil", and is set for release on October 16, 2020.

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/crazy-rich-asians-breakout-henry-golding-star-gi-joe-spinoff-snake-eyes-1231492

Attached: Snake Eyes.png (1084x733, 768K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yojoe.com/action/85/quickkick.shtml
snowpavilion.co.uk/an-iron-hero-without-irony/
thathashtagshow.com/2018/12/18/exclusive-details-on-paramounts-snake-eyes-solo-film/
thenerdsofcolor.org/2019/08/15/an-asian-snake-eyes-is-all-ive-ever-wanted/
youtu.be/J5WMYGFEo3g
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor,_born_1564)
youtu.be/la85Ak855a8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wasn't Snake Eyes a blonde guy?

>asian snake eyes

Again missing the notion of the character. Also tears away Storm Shadow growth chances.

Yea raised by the clan and then took the fall for the masters death.

But nah if its a ninja its gotta be Asian

>SNAKE EYES Solo Movie

Attached: 1563420207269.gif (194x228, 809K)

why are so many Crazy Rich Asians stars getting big roles lately

Dropped. Fucking garbage. I'm pissed. I had high hopes for the Hasbroverse thing after Bumblebee. Whites can't be martial artists now? First Iron Fist and then this? So Larry Hama, who developed the character as a white guy, is a self-hating asian? I would be totally fine with it if you never saw him under the mask but that's unlikely in a solo flick. This franchise can fucking die now, fuck it.

Because the movie was a hit with mainstream moviegoers and Hollywood wants to slap the name on all their casting decisions.

“Asian actors aren’t viable” was Hollywood’s excuse for Asian erasure. CRA proved them wrong by making a pretty penny with an almost entirely Asian cast. Since the market for asian actors is still blooming Hollywood is poaching CRA for their Asians.

Wasn't the whole reason Storm Shadow has beef with Snake Eyes about the fact that the master adopted this white outsider and liked them better than him?

They'll just say "Oh he's an outsider because he's Asian-American" like they wanted to do with Iron Fist. This yellowwashing trash can't flop hard enough.

>Storm Shadow is going to be white now

lmao

Yep, not Asian.

I can totally see that happening though I think they'll keep him asian.

Attached: batlaugh.png (295x517, 303K)

Okay show of hands; Who's sick of studios chopping up IPs because they think every goddamn character can hold up their own movie?

Attached: 1462429453598.jpg (540x798, 61K)

because they're the only asians hollywood knows exist

Now he'll be butthurt that a filthy hapa is getting all the attention.

So essentially a cringy weaboo.

I mean, normally I am but in this case, the ninjas are the best part of both existing Joe movies anyway.

Which begs the question why they don't just stick to Ray Park and Lee Byung-Hun

popularity of the actors

Being the only mildly entertaining thing from two shit adaptations does not warrant a solo focused solely on that. GI Joe isn't a hard fucking concept to grasp

I would be fine with a solo Snake Eyes movie if they were being loyal to the mythos established in the comics, but they threw that out by yellowwashing him. Granted it would be challenging to make the movie if he was mute for much of it, or they didn't show his face for much of it. But it also could have resulted in a unique, artistic take. I don't have any hopes for the movie now.

Never known anyone interested in anything gi joe related, beside snake eyes

COMIC FAGS, SWORD FAGS, GI JOE FAGS, SNAKE EYE FAGS.

does snake eyes have a katana or a ninja sword?i think he has a leonardo sword.

Same reason Michael B Jordan, Tessa Thompson and Lupita Nyongo are taking all the black roles. Hollywood never bothered looking for new actors until audiences make a midbudget movie a blockbuster.

It has NOTHING to do with that.

It's literally just to sell the movies to china.

>cast asian in stereotypical role
>pat self on back for "muh diversity" while literally stereotyping asians

Wow let's have an origin movie for the character who's whole point is to be mysterious. He's also meant to be ugly as fuck and a mute, but we'll cast a handsome man who shows his face and talks the entire time.

Maybe they'll show him getting burned.

>So Larry Hama, who developed the character as a white guy, is a self-hating asian?
This. Is Hollywood seriously arguing that a white character needs to be made Asian because he's a ninja... when a Japanese man made him that way in the first place? They're the racist assholes automatically casting an Asian as a ninja.

Good chance He's gonna be Storm Shadow.

>Storm Shadow wears white because he's part of the Klan
This shit writes itself

They're all just trying to copy the Marvel formula where they gamble with small movies to build up to the big movies. Problem is that most of those solo movies suck ass and usually kill the "cinematic universe" they had planned while it was still in the womb.

Hollywood producers wanna sidestep an AAIronFist type controversy.

>They'll just say "Oh he's an outsider because he's Asian-American"
That excuse doesn't fly when Storm Shadow is a Japanese-American from Fresno whose name is Thomas Arashikage.

That shitty controversy wasn't as big as people make it seem. Not to mention with this movie and Shang-Chi you're going to get people crying out again about the Martial artist Asian stereotype.

But really Snake Eyes shouldn't even be getting a solo movie, he's a badass chaarcter but pretty dull on his own. He always worked better when he's with the other Joes. But Hasbro will never be able to modernize GI Joe even when shit like Overwatch and Metal Gear showed that it's possible.

Matbe they should make a GI Joe game instead.

china hated CRA

Yes and you know god damn why they didn't carry through with it.

It was fucking everywhere my dude. On YouTube, in forums, on Twitter, in 'reviews' bashing the character before he came out. Even more so once it debuted, with journalists deliberately hounding Finn Jones. It was even in the SFX magazine. You couldn't escape it, and people now want Ludi Lin to play Danny.

Yeah and that was one of the big issues Storm Shadow had with him initially.
China hated Crazy Rich Asians it bombed over there and Snake Eyes is a Ninja in a Japanese clan. If they are trying to appeal to China then they are already fucking up badly.

>I mean, normally I am but in this case, the ninjas are the best part of both existing Joe movies anyway

I must disagree. I thought the ninjas was the weakest part about the sequel.

This, it was insane. although if the show was actually good and they had casted a good actor for Danny people would have forgotten about it pretty quickly. But since it was shit it just magnified the whole problem.

Feige is not fucking touching Iron Fist for awhile and him giving people Shang-Chi might actually placate them in case he did try to reboot Iron Fist.

>But Hasbro will never be able to modernize GI Joe even when shit like Overwatch and Metal Gear showed that it's possible.
Too much spectacle between those 2 games whereas GIJoe is drenched with it's patriotism which is not palpable with today's audience despite eating up those 2 games.

>But really Snake Eyes shouldn't even be getting a solo movie, he's a badass chaarcter but pretty dull on his own.

Because having a sidekick/ride-along character that works as a reactionary straight man to the surrounding madness is such a foreign concept to Hollywood...

>GIJoe is drenched with it's patriotism which is not palpable with today's audience
People argued the same shit about Captain America when his movie was announced and here we are. You could just tone down the patriotism or take some cues from Action Force.
Yeah that's what Snake Eyes totally needs...

I know people cry "not muh" about Renegades but they managed to do it without the Patriotism. Even Hama criticized the US Government in his comics.

It's going to bomb and GI Joe will be shelved for a decade until Hasbro tries to once again revive it with another shitty movie.

that would just convert into GI Joe: #Resistance and the crowd that would appeal too would still never see it. Even if you made Duke trans.

>Yeah that's what Snake Eyes totally needs..

It's not about need, it's about functionality. It doesn't even need to be a comedic sidekick, he just some ally to run with him. Be it, Storm Shadow, Jinx, Scarlett, etc. That's how it always works.

If they actually did Snake-eyes as a silent solo leading character, that would be interesting also, because you don't really see that.

What if Henry Golding play the role of a White Dude while being Snake Eye? I mean, it's Snake Eye, how are you going to be able to tell?

>and the crowd that would appeal too would still never see it.
That crowd only ever buys the toys at the most and Hasbro should just try to focus on making GI Joe work instead of trying to appeal to 20 diehard Boomers.

Again that shit only ever works in small doses before it gets tiring and Snake Eyes works better as a group character.

Not to mention Hama is the only guy that can make it work, everyone else descents into wangst shit (usually between him and Scarlett) and that shit was the most insufferable crap I would read.

And when we get Scarlett she's going to be black because of the ginger rule.
There is no way he will go an entire movie without taking off his mask and he will quip along the whole thing too and possibly never losing his voice or even getting scarred.

>everyone else descents into wangst shit (usually between him and Scarlett) and that shit was the most insufferable crap I would read.
I'm a Transformerfag that got curious about GI Joe from the crossovers and boy did those crossovers really have a lot of Snake Eyes drama. The WWII crossover, the Devil's Due crossover, and Scioli's Transformers vs GI Joe had some type of angst subplot with him and Scarlett.

So he gets a sidekick or whatever, that doesn't mean Snake-eyes solo movie isn't doable.

It's doable but it probably won't be very entertaining if it's two hours long.

Get over it racists.

Attached: MrSLy25703.png (800x782, 76K)

I don't know about anyone else, but isn't the idea of "turning every non-Asian character Asian just because they do martial arts" ironically kind of racist?

Like, in a culture where everyone now tries to promote diversity, this actually regresses backwards and leaves no room for diverse growth. Might as well tell kids theses days, "Oh? You want to learn martial arts? Too bad, you're not Asian."

Guy is unironically right. There half a dozen western movies about a white guy who is adopted/joins a japanese/chinese/tibetan clan and becomes a martial arts master, then fights on behalf of the honor of the clan.
It's a western fantasy cliche.

It's because it is racist, especially in GI Joe when you had everyone except one white dude be a Ninja and even said white ninja eventually died and there's a Latina ninja alongside another white ninja.
Then just go with the Hama origin then since he's already an adult and Storm Shadow and him are friends before he joins and he invites him to join after Snake Eyes suffers a tragedy and he wants to help him get pas it. It's far away from white savior and if you keep Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow as equals you can avoid the "white guys is the best" cliche.

It's also not unrealistic to have non-asians study martial arts in Japan, a lot do it even non-whites. Not to mention Snake Eyes was created by an Asian writer named Larry Hama so it's not like it's some white guy's fantasy.

Yes but now his spirit resides inside a young Latina woman.

Yeah, it's gonna be shit.

>they had a SJW GI Joe comic where Quick Kick beats Snake Eyes ass
>they probably did this because Snake Eyes is White
>now they're making Snake Eyes Asian
What the fuck? What's gonna happen with Ray Park? Who gives a fuck about making him Asian. One of the main reasons that he has a rivalry with Storm Shadow is because he was an outsider to the Arashikage Clan.
>inb4 mad whitey
I'm half Back and Asian.

Attached: RCO022.jpg (1332x2048, 662K)

Yeah, here's talked explicitly about how the Fraction/Brubaker story could expand the world in the MCU.

Too bad Need Loeb put Danny on Netflix where he didn't belong, because of budget constraints, and then Danny became a hot potato, because they took SO FUCKING long to lock down a showrunner with a story that would fit with the scheduled Defenders, that AAIronFist was able to swell.

Loeb fucked Danny over big time. It's unforgivable, especially since Iron Fist is seen as toxic and 'outdated'.

Loeb single handle turned Danny into Marvel's Aquaman, but with a much worse represention that nearly toppled a young actor's career. People like to blame either Scott Buck or Finn Jones (who's just the actor that thought he was in good hands getting the dream role if a lifetime), but it's Loeb who pitched Iron Fist for Netflix.

It depends on the continuity, in the Marvel Comics Storm Shadow invites him to the clan and grows jealous when the Hard Master chooses Snake Eyes to succeed him. His race has nothing to do with it and frankly I wouldn't care who plays him as long as they keep the costume on. But seeing who this actor is there's no doubt he's going to make rhe character be something completelt different than the original Snake Eyes. In a way it's why Ray Park was perfect, he could play a faceless and voiceless character and act through his gestures.

Also that IDW comic was shit, I wouldn't have minded Quick Kick beating Snake Eyes if he wasn't such a dick about it. The writer had some contempt for Snake Eyes and Helix.

Even in Hama's origin story Snake-Eyes was painted as being better than Storm Shadow, who actually had been raised his birth to be the heir to the ninja clan, and that Tommy being jealous and bitter about Snake-Eyes getting preferential treatment was meant to be part of their animosity until it was changed to "SH being evil was actually just ruse to track down the real killer who framed him for Hard Master's murder among Cobra's ranks!"

It literally played to the white savior fable, until Hama began writing both of them as equal brothers..

Western movie market baby. Hong Kong is east of here.

Why can't he be Latino, Black, South Asian or Native-American in that case? Why does he have to be Asian?

Has Snake Eyes ever been the lead? Never read any of the G.I Joe comics

>Fucked over Nova
>Killed EMH
>Fucked over Iron Fist
>Still shitting on Ghost Rider
Loeb needs to be stopped.

I don't see how you manage to fuck up Iron Fist.

Like, honestly, they had to try to fail that badly.

He's had his own solo comic.

If Feige gives Danny a movie after that ruckus, it's gonna be an even bigger microscope, if that was even possible.

We're gonna have to wait for a very long time and hope he doesn't get race-bended.

Ok so get rid of the jealousy and just make it an act, always portray them as equals, problem solved.

He's also getting a new one by Robert Liefeld.

>always portray them as equals

Can't have that if Storm Shadow is still written as the bad guy working for Cobra.

It's why Shang-Chi coming first and him being billed as the greatest fighter might ease rhe Iron Fist backlash if Danny ever gets reintroduced.

Have him be undercover it's not like double agent is a new concept. Besides one of the best parts of the shitty GI Joe movies according to normies was Storm Shadow, mostly because his actor was charismatic and he was portrayed as Snake Eyes' equal. It didn't really matter if he was with Cobra and IIRC he still defected in the end.

Fucking hell, man

Attached: trailerparkboy.jpg (222x293, 23K)

He managed to fight Snake Eyes who was shooting at him with a semi automatic while Stormshadow was only throwing ninja stars at him and managed to disable his weapon. He was also beating Snake Eyes and would have won if it wasn't for Jinx suprising him.

He was better than him.

Snake Eyes is canonically better than Storm Shadow, by just a bit. It's probably like 6/10 in Snake Eyes' favor.

Could've fouled me since Stormshadow was kicking his ass.

It's going to be another case of Stallone Dredd, it's also why Ray Park was perfect for the real since he was a stuntman and he wouldn't give a shit about face time. Snake Eyes's face is his mask and he's silent with the exception of the ocassional origin flashback (and even then...). This actor will be taking his mask off and fighting without it , and making unfunny quips all the way towards the end.

Movie will be shit and Hasbro will move on to shitting on ROM and trigger Marvel.

Yeah. Storm Shadow kicks his ass 4/10 times. Snake Eyes kicks his ass the other 6/10 times.

Most of that movie was Stormshadow owning him until they teamed up.

And Helix owns Snake Eyes 10/10 so she's the best.

CRA was just like watching any other romcom with whites, but with strong emphasis on the Bougie life style as if you were viewing some rich kid's instagram feed.

>Didn't believe in the 'Normies ruin everything' meme until they tried to topple Danny Rand.

This is fucking CANON. FUCKING SHITS!

Snake Eyes lacks the autism to beat Helix.

Attached: IMG_20190815_041101.jpg (609x900, 201K)

But there were Asians in GI joe you fools. Like his fucking rival for one. GI Joe was so great they tackled Japanese vs Korean racism for fuck's sakes, whereas Snake eyes was about reconciliation with Japan after ww2

yojoe.com/action/85/quickkick.shtml

>yet another "asian guy is a fantasy martial artist with mystical fighting skills"

You're literally encouraging the single biggest racist stereotype of asians, one that was literally invented by westerners, and acting like you're "le fighting le big bad ebil raysis".

Snake Eyes was never the "lead" of G.I. Joe. In the cartoon he was a minor character that almost never appeared. It took like a year for him to do anything noteworthy in the comic and almost 2 years for him to have an actual featured issue. He was in no way, shape or form "the main character".

6 movies isn't a lot, user. What are they even, Karate Kid 2, Nolan's Batman, Last Samurai if you reach and... that's it?
Can't even count Kung Fu or 47 Ronin because the characters are supposed to be half-asian.

It's a much common trope in movies featuring Native Americans than it is with Asians, usually paired with the ol' noble savage thing.

Attached: 221991.jpg (1200x1600, 364K)

>Last Samurai
nigga that shit really happened
>Kung Fu
>the characters are supposed to be half-asian
not true

>Wasn't Snake Eyes a blonde guy?

"Mighty Whitey."

"Cultural Appropriation."

Hasbro wants to avoid the media shitstorm that Netflix/Marvel got when they made the Iron Fist series and kept Danny as a white guy when all the media outlets demanded he be made Asian (because of the two cited reasons above).

Not exactly, he was a French military instructor, he didn't play dress up as a samurai nor did he ever get that title. He was also fighting for French interests in Japan, not for honoru.

>Kwai Chang Caine (David Carradine) is the orphaned son of an American man, Thomas Henry Caine (Bill Fletcher), and a Chinese woman, Kwai Lin, in mid-19th-century China.

Attached: JulesBrunetAlone.jpg (220x397, 20K)

Snake-eyes has had a solo comic before and as time went on he became one of the most popular characters who had multiple character specific storylines focusing on just him. The cartoon doesn't fucking matter, the comic is the primary source.

That's clearly a retcon. The original how explicitly says that he's white.

And the French dude DID live with samurai for a time. You're reaching.

Several G.I. Joe characters have had solo comics. That means nothing.

And you know damn well that 99% of the public has no idea that a G.I. Joe comic even exists and only knows it for the cartoon.

>The original how explicitly says that he's white.
Which is correct. He's half-white. Pretty sure you're just confused because Carradine himself isn't Asian at all.

He did live with samurai, that doesn't contradict what I said at all. The movie version is hyper romanticized and makes it about something it wasn't, ie. Last of the Mohicans Bushido edition.

The original TV show literally says that he's white. I used to watch it religiously in syndication growing up. They explicitly say that he's 100% white. Anything saying otherwise is a retroactive change that was not originally in the show.

>The original TV show literally says that he's white.
Which doesn't contradict what I'm saying. Are you currently hitting your head with a blunt object?
>They explicitly say that he's 100% white.
I doubt that's something that would feel natural to say in the show, they just say he's white, which again is correct. Prove otherwise. In the original show his mother is never spoken of. She was in the legend continues. Adding information that didn't exist isn't a retcon.

Snake-eues has had his own solo spin off comic, dipshit.

wow that accident really disfigured his face into being asian

I think MCU should recast deadpool as an asian dude because he looks like a ninja and has two katanas
when will you white bigots learn that all asians and only asians know kung fu

Attached: 1551261949562.png (492x503, 439K)

Does this mean we're never getting a proper Iron Fist adaptation?

:(

For once I wish the mainstream actually knew who Danny was, so this nonsense could have been avoided.

>For once I wish the mainstream actually knew who Danny was, so this nonsense could have been avoided.

Danny is the epitome of the Mighty Whitey. They knew EXACTLY who he was.

No. He's really not, especially not anymore.

snowpavilion.co.uk/an-iron-hero-without-irony/

Until after the Brubaker series.

>mighty whitey
I absolutely despise the #AAIronFist movement because the guy who started it deliberately misrepresented Danny’s character, and people fucking bought it because they’re idiots who don’t do research. It was textbook agenda pushing that is directly responsible for this.
I agree that Asians need to get more roles in Hollywood (they are whitewashed too much) but yellow-washing any martial arts character is not going to remedy the problem.

People wanted to be seen as good white allies, or show PoC solidarity, so ran with it. It extremely frustrates me, but I can't blame Asian-Americans for getting upset, because EVERY SINGLE article kept regurgitating from what Keith Chow wrote in his original blog post.

Unfortunately accurate essays from Iron Fist fans like Get completely ignored.

Thee whole point is Danny is raised as a minority without riches, then comes back to the very place a man like him has ALL the privilege, but it's alien to him, BECAUSE of his upbringing.

Chow focused on only 50% of Danny's story, and what he did tell was grossly exaggerated. He turned him into a 2-D fucking strawman, and I will always hate him for that. He got Asian-American's hopes up for nothing. They deserved a hero, but it was never gonna be Danny. And, now everyone fucking haters him. Being an Iron Fist fan is suffering.

There was a very good post made here that said “If you’re looking for the concept of white privilege to be explored by a superhero, you can’t get much better than Danny Rand” and it’s absolutely true, he’s one of the few capes whose whiteness actually matters.

Keith Chow wanted a spoiled rich Americanized Asian who is forced to reconnect with his culture to survive and after undergoing trials and tribulations returns to America with maturity and humility.
And that’s a great concept for a character don’t get me wrong, but it’s not Danny Rand.
Why not make an original character with this concept instead of trying to force the idea onto an existing one?

I’ve thought how to make an Asian-American Danny. I truly have. His parents could have wandered out of K’un-Lun, somehow and ended up in America and he returns there after his parents death, because he doesn’t understand the significance of his parents’ place of Birth. Maybe he also inadvertently caused their deaths? But, a big problem of course is the ways in which Danny is an outsider. This is where I feel like its normies arguing with normies over Danny’s ‘outsiderness in K’un-Lun’, because an Asian-American could obviously be an outsider to K’un-Lun. To say not is an obvious insult to Asian-Americans that are cultural outsiders, but not visual ones. However, as Chow like to completely schew Danny ISN’T a cultural outsider. The culture of K’un-Lun is the only one is truly knows and understands. It’s AMERICA where’s he’s the Fish out of water trope’ despite being white and rich where people assume he’s anything but.

It order for an Asian-American Danny to work, while still keeping the minority to privilege angle would be a different character like a Chinese boy loses his parents at a young age while trying to get to a mystical Texas place (I don’t know), is raised my cowboys , gets the ‘golden guns’, THEN returns to his parents’ home of China where is befriends a Uyghur Muslim and falls in love with another. This Danny Li is raised as a minority, they comes back to a place where he has Han Chinese privilege that he then explores. It would also show why his Uyghur Muslim friend and girlfriend are initially suspicious of him and his intentions.

Why did this not post?

It really just show he really didn't think of race-bending one of the only characters that needs to be white through.

Attached: DannyRandAmericanOutsider.jpg (1200x1836, 646K)

Because, he said himself that he thought this was the only way to get an Asian-American hero in the MCU.

Anyone who honestly thinks Danny can work as any other race than white, has really missed the fucking point.

This?

Attached: Why Danny needs to be white..png (1535x243, 34K)

>Because, he said himself that he thought this was the only way to get an Asian-American hero in the MCU.
Funny how things change. Has Chow commented on the Shang-Chi movie at all? Because honestly, it sounds like everything he’s been asking for in his Iron Fist pitch.

depends on the figure, OG Snake Eyes had a sword, version 2 from RAH cartoon had a katana, version 3 used 2 giant knifes, version 4 from the DIC cartoon had a Katana again.

there's Snake Eyes that come with hatchets as well, he's a master of all weapons.

Haven't checked his twitter, because his smugness makes me rage. There was another excellent essay from an Iron Fist fan that directly addressed his blogpost and concerns and strawman of Danny Rand's origin (He said he had to write the article after the io9 "Danny was always racist" article started trending). I remember the writer of the article said Chow has blocked him, so he obviously isn't willing to listen to anyone that disagrees with him.

I do remember the original article being posted here and h did bring up Shang. He hated him because he wasn't Asian-American, his father is Fu Manchu and he's depicted as not wearing shoes (Seriously).

It was always a lot more easier to change Shang into an Asian-American than Danny. His mother is canonily an American woman. Said American woman could always be of Chinese descent.

Wanna take one for the team and look?

>I do remember the original article being posted here and h did bring up Shang. He hated him because he wasn't Asian-American, his father is Fu Manchu and he's depicted as not wearing shoes (Seriously).
The movie’s making him AsAm, his father the Mandarin instead of Fu Manchu, and he’ll probably wear shoes. Mandarin is still a “yellow peril” type villain but if they can adapt M’Baku/Man-Ape I’m sure they can pull this off.

Yes

Preaching to the choir, boo.

I'm just surprised they would pick a high profile pretty boy for a character who is going to stay mute and masked for pretty much anything that isn't an origin story... and in those scenes they would probably need a younger actor anyways.

Attached: pepecat.gif (343x338, 15K)

Snake eyes and storm shadow are the most popular characters in GI Joe. Hell even firefly could have a solo movie

Jesus Christ, this page. What is the point of having a character 'win' if they are oozing insecurity through the whole thing? This is some chuuni shounen shit.

Actually moderately excited for this. I enjoyed the GI Joe movies despite the internet telling me that I'm a bad person for liking it.

Attached: 739484676189.jpg (699x993, 96K)

I don't care what race the guy is, but putting emphasis on the actor makes me assume this is just going to be a completely unrelated character, since a big part of snake eyes is being a introverted autist who doesn't show his face or speak.

There’s only 2 recent articles by Chow on Shang-Chi on his site Nerds of Color; one just announcing the film’s director and the other saying “Shang Chi on screen doesn’t negate the need for #AAIronFist”. Compared to a whole page of posts about how Iron Fist needs to be Asian-American.
Complains for years, and yet when he finally gets a movie featuring stuff he wants he barely has anything to say about it. Really makes me think.

You should read the whole thing, chief. It's fucking embarrassing. I'd post it all if I had it, but I only have 3 pages.

Attached: 1503014610-gi-joe-2016-idw-8-itunes-preview-3.jpg (720x960, 257K)

Snake Eyes is white- what’s with the piss staining? Why do people think you have to be Asian to do karate? Do they think these moves require you to be short and have a micropenis? White people invented cars, so they think Asian people can’t dri- oh.

>quick kick ever beating up snake eyes
>snake eyes can literally kill him in seconds
What the hell am I reading

Can't Snake Eyes block bullets with a Katana? How fast is this guy exactly?

>Spend nearly over five years completely side-lining/shafting the canon Asian martial artist, now American, probably influenced by you, to continue to focus on the white martial artist. The white martial artist who's race as a white person actually matters for once in a blue moon.

This Ladies and Gentlemen is what Peak 'Sunken Cost Fallacy' looks like in a person.

Attached: BustertiredofBS.jpg (392x330, 24K)

I have a couple of them but it's out of order. This shit is so cringy.

Attached: RCO005.jpg (1332x2048, 682K)

You jackass Hama himself went deep into Snake Eyes' origin.

>quick kick being angry at snake eyes
Last time I checked they both respected each other. Is whoever writing this a retard

Attached: RCO006.jpg (1332x2048, 729K)

It’s the consequences of living in a world whose currency is woke points. They’re so afraid of cultural appropriation accusations that they’re racebending as a precaution. If they want to have an Asian lead so bad why not make it about Storm Shadow?

An Asian American made Snake Eyes, but sure, let's forget that.

Attached: RCO007.jpg (1332x2048, 758K)

This is an origin movie.

Has Larry Hama said anything?

This just reads as wish fulfillment from some kid who was mad Snake-Eyes was more popular than his favorite toy. It doesn't help that his snarky conversation is completely one sided.

>Having an Asian-American Danny after an Asian-American Shang-Chi

Surely, having two lead Asian-American heroes that's main schtick is martial arts would be overkill, no?

Attached: RCO010.jpg (1332x2048, 802K)

It’s bizarre that they go with stereotypes to avoid cultural appropriation. Except for when it comes to whites (especially redheads) of course, then appropriate away.

And you are totally right about Storm Shadow, but they don’t think.

A good portion of his origin has to do with him as a kid (different actor needed). And he's still mute.

Attached: RCO011.jpg (1332x2048, 799K)

Attached: RCO014.jpg (1332x2048, 828K)

Something about that smirk on the last panel feels like fanfiction wish fulfillment.
Just the "he handles the fighting master with such ease he can't help but smile at the 'challenge'".

Oh no, this is LITERALLY shounen shit.

>Larry Hama one of the only Asian-American in the comics industry that defended Danny and asked why detractors weren't complaining for a Shang-Chi movie

Based Boy. Wonder what he thought of the portrayal of his baby Colleen Wing? lol She was basically a different character.

Attached: RCO015.jpg (1332x2048, 672K)

Attached: RCO017.jpg (1332x2048, 692K)

All of this build up feels like it's intended to teach Quick Kick some humility, specially considering how he's running his mouth. Who wants to see someone so immature win?

Am I supposed to be rooting for this guy? Because he comes off as a huge jackass.

>Brazilian jujitsu
I thought quick kick was muay tai boxer?

Apparently he knows everything. I thought Snake Eyes was the same but whatever.

Attached: RCO018.jpg (1332x2048, 785K)

>This just reads as wish fulfillment from some kid who was mad Snake-Eyes was more popular than his favorite toy.

The fact that this is happening in front of Scarlett and not even she believes in Snake Eyes' chances is what sells the self-insertness of it.

Now that you're posting the whole fight, he seems way too cocky here considering how long it takes him to get the upper hand. I assumed when you posted this it would be a one page fight or something.

Attached: RCO021.jpg (1290x2048, 747K)

>I'm half Back and Asian.
Sorry you lost in live since birth.

FYI GI Joe movies are not Yea Forums

I don't know some blasians look pretty cute. Most don't.

Read the rules, faggot.

I hope it flops honestly

No you

Attached: co mod sticky.png (1674x203, 18K)

Whoever wrote this seems completely unaware of how to write an underdog.
Not to mention, ignoring the commentary it was a pretty even fight till the very end, so the brash attitude seems inappropriate.

I'm missing a few pages, but this shit is still dumb.

It's not so bad.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to shoehorn a lesser known character and have him beat up a fan favorite.

It's a good thing we're also discussing a comic.

Attached: 20190815_131321.jpg (1332x2013, 1.44M)

That is some bad posing and composition.

then again this manwha is about MMA, but still, show me how you got snake eyes arm infront of his head to choke himself.

That is a terrible pose and the line of action is terrible.

Attached: x9.png (1080x1558, 1.47M)

Man, he's acting like hot shit, but Snake-Eyes is answering a lot of his calls. Was this illustrated first, then the dialogue was added later?

Did you see the comic the Luna brothers did? Holy Cow, it's one of the worst 'interpretations' of Danny's origin I've even seen. It's called 'Colonial man'.

Welp, looks like I'll be expecting this to get plastered all over Malaysian news sites again (they'll eat up anything related to countryfolks getting noticed in Hollywood even stuff that's kinda trivial or only worth a tiny sliver of, like, what Michelle Yeoh did)...

Oh, so when you make an Asian character like The Elder One from Doctor Strange white, or you don’t cast a Romani Jew to play Scarlet Witch,then it’s evil,racist and vile. But when a white character becomes Asian, it’s suddenly okay.

Do you say that as if the problem with these sort of castings were lack of knowledge about the characters. The problem is precisely that they know but they still decide they have to change it to please certain media.

Really? Because I know people who like Cobra Commander, he's the first character normies who aren't that familiar with GI Joe bring up when discussing it.

Especially after Community did that one Joe episode.

Loeb fucked Danny up, because Iron Fist needed to connect to The Defenders.

Why does Hollywood insist on only casting asians for the role of martial artists
What kind of backwards ass message is that sending, that only asians can be good at this particular skill?

Checked his facebook and so far not a peep, if he does he'll probably get ignored or given the same "PoC can be racist against their own too" speech.

He is a jackass but the way Snake Eyes was being written prior to this in he also came off as a jackass. It was hard to root for anyone.

It will.

Hasbro should drop trying to do GI Joe movies and stick to Transformers and possibly ROM (although Marvel will probably make it impossible for them to do the latter).

If they want to do GI Joe just fucking do a game or an animated adult series on stream and have Hama involved.

It sucks because I was looking forward to a new Joe reboot after the disappointing first two. Bumblebee was way better than the Bay movies and something similar happening for Joe would have been nice. I'm not really rooting for it to be good any more though.

>I wouldn't have minded Quick Kick beating Snake Eyes if he wasn't such a dick about it.
Same
Too many people forget that Snake Eyes isn't a ninja, he's a Ninja Commando

Attached: Snake Eyes - Ninja Commando.jpg (1200x1743, 1.21M)

More details on the plot.

>When we meet this new, younger Snake Eyes, it’ll be as a street fighter in Peru. Driven by the desire to avenge the death of his father, Snake Eyes is apparently a man on the move until he ends up in Japan, where he and his best friend Tommy AKA Storm Shadow will begin their training with the Arashikage Clan. The film will see at least three of the clan’s legendary masters as they train Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow as Hard Master, Soft Master and Blind Master are all set to appear. Also present at the Arashikage compound is the film’s female lead, Akita. In the comics, Junko Akita was an apprentice and lover of Storm Shadow; here she is the head of security and will be a love interest for Snake Eyes.

>Of course if it’s a G.I. Joe movie, Cobra must somehow be present and in this instance their presence is made manifest in what appears to be a character created for the film: Kenta. Kenta is revealed to Storm Shadow’s brother who has long since left his family, the Arashikage, and joined with a rival ninja clan, the Kurayami. It is Kenta who attempts to lure Snake Eyes away from the Arashikage and into a terrorist plot being devised by Cobra. We won’t delve too deeply into spoiler territory here, but we can see what side of things Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow will take and this film certainly seems to set the stage for one of the great comic book rivalries.

thathashtagshow.com/2018/12/18/exclusive-details-on-paramounts-snake-eyes-solo-film/

Attached: Snake in the Storm.jpg (1920x1300, 404K)

No comments on Shang-Chi but he made some about Snake Eyes and how dissapointed he was when he found out he was white when he was a kid so he is glad they're making him Asian now.

>thenerdsofcolor.org/2019/08/15/an-asian-snake-eyes-is-all-ive-ever-wanted/

Dark Pheonix and the new HellBoy are examples that even in this day and age of big actiony movies that make almost a billion dollars, audiences can AND will flat-out reject a movie. I hope this happens to this one. Not that Hasbro and Paramount will care.

Wait I thought he was brunette

Sounds like a pretty generic plot, this shit will flop.

Wow, funny how he was so quick to write an article about this, but Shang-Chi is slow crickets. Hmm.

I wonder if his childhood disappointment of finding out Snake Eyes was white, caused him to spurge the fuck out about Danny?

What's the obsession with wanting to race-bend all the White martial artists to Asian, while simultaneously ignoring the canon Asian ones? Snake Eyes could have been Latino, Black, Native-American. Why does the martial artist always have to be Asian?

No and he was made as an excuse to sell a non painted barley sculteped Joe figure
He did have an animated movie too, but him barely showing up was what made the whole ninja thing cool at the time
Also why are you bitches complaining, like you fags really cared about mary sue snake eyes when storm shadow was a cooler character

Attached: ninjizz-bots-master-3.71.jpg (210x240, 18K)

I dunno, about good Storm Shadow being a retcon. You look at the Snake Eyes origin story and you can see that Hama had planted the seeds for SS turning good.

Attached: IMG_20190815_121400.jpg (788x1236, 162K)

But whites do know kung fu
But for some fucking reason want to rename it like dumbasses

Attached: s308218269607162801_p105_i1_w1920.jpg (1920x1200, 866K)

It's obvious he hates Shang-Chi for his own shitty reasons and it's ignoring the announcement, but once the movie becomes popular he'll make a big spectacle of any little flaw and try saying it's racist and then every MCU fan will descend on him.

Y'know what, fuck this. If I want to watch a Snake-Eyes' origin movie I can just fucking watch Scott Adkins in "Ninja".

I dunno but it's a mostly Asian-American thing.

Attached: Screenshot_20190815-123020_Twitter.jpg (1051x649, 257K)

>MFW No Ninjak movie.

Can characters created in Western media ever just be characters?

because otherwise it's cultural appropriation!
only asians can be martial artists and all asians are martial artists

Storm Shadow was created as a bad guy by Hasbro but Hama wanted to turn him into a good guy from the start, he played the long game.

youtu.be/J5WMYGFEo3g

Here's an interview with both Hama and Chow he starts talking about Storm Shadow around 10:40

Around 12:27 Hama starts talking about Snake Eyes being white and from what he said he would be torally fine with an Asian Snake Eyes.

Snake Eyes was a commando that was made a ninja by the Asian writer. Also, he's not even portrayed as the best ninja. Storm Shadow was.

SS was never really portrayed as evil at all in the comic. There's like two issues where he's working with Cobra where we don't already know his motivation. So, god dammit, why can't they just keep Snake Eyes a badass white soldier with some ninja training and give more focus to Storm Shadow?

I thought people only cared about "Cultural Appropriation" if it's white people.

Asian-Americans you mean, otherwise it's stereorypical Eastern Asian trope. No seriously, this is the shit they're going with now. Unless the American part is there it's exotic.

K'un Lun had a population of White People in it long before Danny stumbled in, among them, his father. Sort of hard for him to be a "Mighty Whitey" "white savior" type if he's in the middle of mystical Hong Kong meets Brigadoon.

>Horse Stance

Oh look, someone not understanding Martial Arts.

Snake Eyes was always a practical fighter, that's why he was "The best"

He isn't some anime trope using secret technique retard, he'd just sword-shank you.

But he always had my favorite secret ninja technique: Uzi.

>Western Cliche Fantasy

It's actually an Eastern Cliche Fantasy, With shit like Nioh being a very recent example of how much they love it.

Does he get angry at Larry for making Snake Eyes white?

Do they know Larry Hama is Asian-American? Are they gonna accuse him of having 'internalised anti-asianess'?

It's a cliche because it has groundings in reality.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor,_born_1564)

You didn't see Samurai or Chinese noblemen becoming Knights because it wasn't feasible at the time.

Yeah. The way he was written up to that point was as the arrogant prick that gets taken down a notch and has something to build towards and grow both in skill and as a person. Instead he just wins, lol.

That one page sums up exactly why Quick Kick would have lost to Snake Eyes.

Quick Kick tries some kung fu shit and Snake eyes just kicks him in the balls and forcefeeds him his own hands

fuck this guy, he cares more about raceswapping than actual canon Asians.
It’s never really about representation for these types, they just want less white characters.

K'un-Lunians were extraterrestrial immortals, so to suggest they need a white earthling to save them is frankly preposterous. Not that Chow didn't bring up everything he could about Danny to throw him under the bus.

Because they have lost all real connections to their own heritage outside of the very same trappings white people happily adopt.

It hurts them deeply to see White people engage with the cultures of their heritage and indeed be accepted and promoted by such cultures.

Truthfully, it's because they feel less asian than white people.

>Thank god Snake eyes is finally Asian
>Says Henry Golding

Funny shit.

Won't matter. The damage will already be done. Any attempt to do Snake Eyes accuratelt in the future will still be "whitewashing." It's over. You've lost your mysterious ninja commando.

Did he actually?

I don't know people didn't pitch a fit when Kingpin was played by a white guy after Michael Clarke Duncan.

I saw some. Remember the bitching about Ryan Reynolds being Green Lantern when GL was "supposed" to be black? All that movie's actual problems set aside.

Yeah, but that's because normies didn't know about Hal, and only John.

So your argument is "Joe was toys first, comic and cartoon second" then?

>His name is Golding
This is like if they had a white actor named Bleaching play an asian character.

So, are White martial artists now Hollywood persona non Grata?

White people who are not Jews or money magnets are persona non Grata.

If you look at the timestamps I gave you for the link in the interview it would answer some of your questions. But no he doesn't blame Hama, he knows Hama is Asian-American and Hama pretty much brings up Snake Eyes being white and that he doesn't care if he gets turned into an Asian. Why was Snake Eyes white in the first place? Hama pretty much gave a non-answer but seeing he's in a room full of Asian people who don't give a shit about GI Joe and Chew is interviewing him, I can see why.

I wish he would have just said "Snake Eyes was white because he wasn't a ninja in the beginning."

>Tessa Thompson
They really should stop relying on her, she makes things bomb when she leads

I remember seeing a cap of his Facebook page saying AAIronFist should focus on getting Shang-Chi made instead, so I can see why being hand-wavey interviewed by Keith "All the martial artists belong to us" Chow.

Tbf, Snake doesn't have to be white, but that doesn't mean he should be Asian-American, either.

American minorities see Non-American non-whites as subhuman but to be fair the reverse is also true.

>Tbf, Snake doesn't have to be white, but that doesn't mean he should be Asian-American, either.
This.
Snake Eyes really should be like the original toy and even the last two movies sans the stupid flashback. and JUST be a silent guy in a suit that could be any race. But we all know how Hollywood hates mystery.

Make all the Asian characters black, then he can't say anything or else he's racist. Also aren't both current Snake Eyes a white dude and a Latina? Hama clearly didn't give a shit about making Snake Eyes asian.

Also watching that interview and they start talking about Superman and Chow immediately starts saying how Superman is the Asian-American experience and Hama corrects him and says it's the Jewish experience. The guy wantabto make everyone Asian-American.

>Superman
>A humanoid looking alien, who happens to look Caucasian, crash lands in America as a baby and grows up to be the world's greatest hero.

You know for a FACT if a white-looking Kal-El landed China he would be cussing him the fuck out and demand DC 'right their wrong' by making him Asian-American.

You mean right their wong.

Bruh.

As far as I know Greg Pak and Gene Yang have talked about that too regarding Clark.

>Pity no one releases Danny is a 'perpetual foreigner', too.

They already did Superman in Japan in Shogun if Steel even though it wasn't modern Japan, and he also looked Japanese there.

Lol cus they knew the backlash if he wasn't. But, I mean like in the case of Superman:Red Son instead of landing in the USSR, he landed in China, instead.

Japanese Sups in Japan sounds cool, though.

Gee. It's almost like Superman is a nuanced analogy for an immigrant experience rather than just a one-to-one picture of it. These are the same people that are so unable to handle subtlety and need to make the X-Men literally all some kind of minority on top of being mutants.

Telling Snake Eyes' origin as it was in the comics, he wasn't a "white savior", his arrival sets off a chain of events that destroys the Arashikagi clan. The story is a tragedy.

>Still myopically focused on turning Danny Asian, rather than the awesome martial artist that's now what he said he wanted.

He doesn't deserve Based Shang-Chi.

He's a bugman, why the fuck does anyone give a shit about what he wants anyway?

Shang-Chi was not it raised in the US and therefore Chow cannot identify.

It's like the Apu guy. The media gave them a voice instead of ignoring them or shutting them down, Twitter and Tumblr made it look like they had the support of the masses, and now it's too late for anyone to disagree with them if they want to keep their jobs in the industry.

People like him have legit made me hate minorities. They are so fucking worthless.

Because, he pretty much ruined a surprisingly PC character's reputation in the public eye and used Finn Jones as a mascot for his #Whitewashedout campaign and is responsible for most Asian-American normies hating Iron Fist as a character.

Yet, Shang-Chi is getting a movie. The canon best fighter in the Marvel universe, that's he keeps trying to pretend doesn't matter, is now American. It should be everything he wants, but he's still focused on perpetuating a false view of Danny to everyone, instead of celebrating that his dream of an Asian-American character finally being the lead in an MCU property is happening.

He's a hypocrite.

He will be in the movie. I'm glad for Simu Liu he seems super enthusiastic and excited, and knows this will mean a lot to the Asian American and Asian Canadian community.

He's a Minority, what else do you expect them to do? They don't want equality, they don't want a colour blind utopia.

They want to be the elite upper class. Never trust a bugman.

Don't be so stupid to let his guy sour you on the need for minority representation.

I actually agree mostly with what he's saying, that's precisely why though his campaign is really frustrating, because he picked the wrong character.

Why?

Minorities are literally that, Small minority groups. Maybe they should actually do the work and effort to be presented on their own efforts than piggy back of whitey?

I'm from the UK, why the fuck do you even think you deserve anything from us?

This attitude is exactly why AAIronFist exists in the first place.

What, what I think Minorities should either step up or shut up and not piggy back and destroy the developments of other people?

Fuck Asian Americans, you're not even a poor minority, they're a bunch of pampered middle class fuckwits who demand attention.

I'm a minority who believes Danny actually needs to be caucasian, and I also understand the need to see people like you represented on screen as complex heroes. It's not mutually exclusive.

This is pretty petty of me, but even though I like the character of Shang-Chi I almost want the movie to fail now.

>Maybe they should actually do the work and effort to be presented on their own efforts than piggy back of whitey?

What does that even mean you dumb /pol/tard? There is an entire Asian movie industry in, you know, Asia.

Nah, man. I'm happy that the Asian-Americans misled by Chow are finally getting a look in with an appropriate character. If Shang-Chi is a continued success, why I'll imagine he will be. This means an accurate to race, origin story and motivation Danny Rand can redebut into the MCU. The only person left seething would be Chow.

I just hope Henry's casting doesn't change this.

>He will be in the movie
Is that confirmed? It's not like it matters to his character that much anyway.

That said Chow will still find a way to shit on Shang-Chi.

And it shouldn't bend over for any minorities either.

What a load of bullshit, Movies exist to be enjoyed, not as weird quasi role models.

Asian-Americans wanna see themselves represented at home, though. Not in their parents/grandparents country.

He has an American accent (or Canadian if you, please), he also waxed lyrical about how this movie is for the Asian diaspora on his Instagram live.

The actors for Black Panther pretty much did something similar for the African-American community and the only African-American in that movie was the bad guy. No one gave a shit.

Who gives a shit about Asian Americans.

Go do something important first.

There were a couple of people that said it was anti African-American, most notably seren sensei, of Bruno Mars is a 'Cultural vulture' fame. Honestly, she had some good points, it's kinda surprising Black Americans loved T'Chakka so much, considering he's not even American.

Feige literally wants Shang-Chi to be Asian-America's Black Panther.

If it's not going to feature gang bangs, it's not worth the screen time

I can see why, I mean Wakanda is an ethnostate and Killmonger had a point even if he took the wrong actions. But most people just KANGZ and idealized Afro futuristic nation.
The same way Black Panther was to African-Americans then? Doesn't mean Shang-Chi will be Asian-American although I hope he is and that he's famous just so Chow seethes more.

I recall everytime Killmonger appeared and hood rap would start blaring and when T'Challa popped up you'd get some light rap and Afrobeats. Seriously.

Still Seren mostly hates Africans because she dated one and he pissed her off. Also her hate for Bruno Mars is weird and who is she to claim he's not black and that he's culturally appropriating when she herself uses the nicknames of "Sensei Aishitemasu” and "Seren Sensei"

>Dated an African, that's why she hates them.

I know Black British Twitter has beef with her after she accused 'foreign blacks' of 'stealing' AA jobs.

I'm pretty sure when that grape vine clip when viral, most people where like 'Bruno's not black?!' She says that he used his racial ambiguity to be more palatable to a white audience. Of course, this isn't his fault. Bruno himself is very up front about his influences and most of white America thought he had black in him anyway. What are we gonna do next, bash Drake for being light-skinned?

Yes, it is ironic. I guess you can only be a weeb if you're black.

I think black American was too excited and imprinted on Wakanda, without really thinking about possible implications.

>Asian American Shang-Chi

Pretty much.

youtu.be/la85Ak855a8

Saved it for the porn parody.

You get the youtube shorts and you're going to like it user

Krav maga, isn't a real martial art. It just some low form combat training for the israeli army. Go learn Mauy Tai, Boxing, Wrestling, or BJJ. Not some meme shit.

He's just in talks. Maybe it'll fall through and they'll just get Scott Adkins or something like that.

After this? Na.

so... a vocal minority?

>If Feige gives Danny a movie after that ruckus, it's gonna be an even bigger microscope, if that was even possible.

no one cares about Ancient One being racebent, so just ignore the haters and move on

>Loeb single handle turned Danny into Marvel's Aquaman, but with a much worse represention

when they had Jessica Jones shitting all over him in the Defenders, I wanted to punch my screen

>Keith Chow wrote in his original blog post

fuck that faggot

This, even if he was up for Storm Shadow after this he's getting Snake Eyes.

Eitherway it won't be Snake Eyes since he's going to just be playing himself and occasionally be wearing the Ninja outfit.

He’s half white so you should only be half asspained

The most idiotic thing is for the context of the story an asian-american is still a foreigner in the eyes of the Arashikage clan. The japanese are pretty racist with other asians, not even talking about the mixed ones. So in the end we will get the same story but race swaped.

>I don't care so anyone who does is butthurt
Go fuck yourself you holier-than-thou piece of shit. Come back when you have passion for something.
It'll let them pat themselves on the back for saving the poor Asians from having their culture appropriated by a white guy being a ninja.

I’m sorry for not being suicidal over a mixed man playing an outsider in a xenophobic society? I fucked up.

Go ahead. Keep devaluing everyone's opinion but your own. You're soooooo cool.

this racist hypocrisy is so tiresome, so whitewashing is bad because..... white people. not for any other reason, fuck these people. i'm never watching this shit, i'm over it.

he's also jewish.

That's really the most you can do. Just hope enough people feel the same and vote with their wallets. Though who cares because the Chinese market will decide anyway. Movies aren't made for you anymore.

this is true....also tfw the Japs are upholding European culture with dignity, oddly enough

Attached: 1546665136268.jpg (1200x630, 87K)

I think the only whitewashing I've seen people defend so far was The Deep from The Boys going from a black guy to a white guy in the show.

Yeah but while they also did that they made the Deep be the one that coerces Starlight to give him oral while A-Train, who originally was part of that, is now the black guy and is much more sympathetic character.

Although it's kind of funny and mildly stereotypical that they also made the super fast hero go from white to black and the one that can swim really good go from black to white. People who try to be more PC end up doing the most racist shit, as evidence from the whites can't be martial artist shit.

>never really portrayed as evil at all in the comic.

If you ignore things like kidnapping Scarlett, sure.

oh, they made the rapist/rape victim a white guy, SHOCKING.

I think China just hates seeing their own flaws in their culture unlike family guy but a Snake Eyes movie won't reveal any truths since it isn't about relatable real people

Bump

Will we though?

>Literally have a dream where I try to convince showrunners Danny should be white.
>A hapa is cast to avoid controversy

Jesus fucking Christ AAIronFist has successfully infiltrated my dreams. My God.

>All the people rooting for Jessica to beat Danny ass/agreeing with her

It hurt, bro.

Bam Dum Kush?

There was a shit storm at the time, let's not try and say there wasn't. Of course, Feige was quick to cast all the major players for Doctor strange, so it didn't poison the journalist and reviews well.

bit off topic, but what's wu assassins like? from skimming reviews it sounds a lot netflix looked at iron fist and went "we can do better than that"

marvel got away with that by making the ancient one a woman at the same time. the usual retards who bitch about racebending are the same ones that champion making male characters in to women, so they just ignored it. only people who complained about it are autistic fucks like us on Yea Forums

Is he even a white savoir? He's saving his white/black/whatever teammates, not just asians.

>The reviews keep on saying this is the AAIronFist they should have got.

Pretty sure it doesn't even follow from Chow's pushed pitch, but because they're Asian they assume it must be.

>Letitfuckinggo.mp3

>A-Train, who originally was part of that, is now the black guy and is much more sympathetic character.
No he isn't.

This is an outrage!
We must white this wong!

Surely its Wong this white?

>Asian
>Snake Eyes
come on bro that's racist

I've never heard that stereotype before.

Paramount loves to make odd decision dont they? Hopefully this movie is good because Paramount cannot afford to suffer another box office bomb. They already avoid the crisis by delaying and reworking the Sonic Movie. This G.I Joe spin off movie better have good writing.

But who are we kidding. Action movies outside of MCU rarely have good story writing to begin with

They used to, user. They used to.

Yeah?

Karl Urban ten years ago would have been a perfect pre-scarring Snake Eyes.

This is an actually interesting discussion on race that hasn't devolved into shitfling yet, so question is who are characters who need to inherently be their ethnicity to work?

Either all of them or none of them.

?

Unironically Iron Fist, also Captain America and I guess Batman.

>Chinkapoorean movie
>Somehow applies to China

Bumblebee pulled it off

In the comic The Deep didn't gang rape Starlight. And to be honest he was a pretty chill dude... for The Boys standards.

Really any iconic character who has fans that see themselves in the character. Characters are the vessels to explore these worlds and kids naturally build connections to them. The moment you start changing them, those characters are being taken away. That sucks and is stealing from Peter to feed Paul or however the saying goes.

Sigh. Compare and contrast to the Iron Fist thread. Guess I was hoping for too much.

yea look what they made it into.

Thing its unless they make Stormshadow a White Guy then his grudge against Snake Eyes now makes no fucking sense.

Stormshadow felt usurped by an outsider.

Damn can China collapse already so Hollywood will stop attempting to suck their cock.

We already know this will lose to whatever Animated or Romantic Comedy will be in theaters when it comes out.

Hunter, the White Wolf, should at the very least not be black.

Henry Golding is a hapa.

Pureblood Chinese are as racist to hapas as they are to white people, if not more.

It could work, but aren't the clan Japanese?

>Has a thick southern accent and wears a cowboy hand with his ninja pajamas.

Yes the Arashikage clan is from Japan. But the japanese are probably more racist than the chinese. Funny thing, Stormshadow is also a nisei: a second generation japanese inmigrant. So in reality is not a "real" japanese. Wich only makes more funny his feud with Snake Eyes. Both of them are equally foreign to the clan and yet, both of them were invited to study their secrets.

The clan was Storm Shadow's blood and had him participate in the Viet Nam war as something of a rite of passage. He invited Snake Eyes, his war buddy, to join him. The rivalry seems pretty overblown by fans when in the comic it was a really brief moment where Tommy thought Snake was going to become a master, and everything went to shit almost immediately after when Zartan murdered the Hard Master.

So they going to disfigure him and make him white right?

Attached: 4100AA41-0892-4536-B99D-F52D0E67DBCF.jpg (619x923, 207K)

With all the reactions throughout the series to his face, this was a major letdown.

It was something that poisoned their friendship for years, and while Tommy was framed for killing his uncle, his bitterness and jealousy had turned him into a person that people believed could have done it.
Snake Eyes' past following him to Japan, with Cobra Commander hiring Firefly and Zartan to assassinate him makes it hard to portray him as a "white savior", he unwittingly brings ruin to the clan.

I just never got the sense that Tommy's brief moment of jealousy had festered or poisoned their friendship. All the way towards the end of their training, Snake wanted him to be seen as the worthy one. I mean, Storm Shadow sought Snake Eyes out for help in, what, his third appearance?(I kinda twisted through the first 125 issues of the Marvel comics over the past month so I may be a bit off in terms of timing.) And you're big time right about Snake Eyes' baggage bringing ruin to the clan makes him obviously not a "white savior." Its almost like Larry Hama knew what he was doing.

Unrelated, I'm watching the 87 movie for the first time since I was like twelve and the pacing is terrible.

What did you expect when he survived a helicopter crash

It is some pretty nasty scaring, especially by the eye.

Something more like this

Attached: p94_12-copy.jpg (740x863, 237K)

>Both of them are equally foreign to the clan and yet, both of them were invited to study their secrets.
Storm Shadow was Japanese-American, but as the nephew of the clan's masters, he was expected to succeed them as leader. When Snake Eyes' skills surpassed him, the future Storm Shadow expected for himself was suddenly in doubt, and he did not react well.

>I think China just hates seeing their own flaws in their culture
The movie doesn't even take place in China though. It's about as much chinese culture as "italian culture" in the US is italian. Putting a bunch of brits and americans in Singapore isn't chinese culture.

>I just never got the sense that Tommy's brief moment of jealousy had festered or poisoned their friendship.
It was very one-sided, but Tommy was in a bad place, pushed friends and family away from him in his jealousy, and Snake Eyes did genuinely believe for years that he had killed his own uncle. When they met again, he seemed ready to fight Tommy to the death until he learned the truth.

>All the way towards the end of their training, Snake wanted him to be seen as the worthy one. I mean, Storm Shadow sought Snake Eyes out for help in, what, his third appearance?
This is years later though, he's had time to change, and after years inside Cobra, having to pretend he's one of them 24/7, he's probably desperate to confess the truth to someone. He finds his old friend, and lets go of the past, reaches out to him for help, wanting to prove he's not the murderer everyone thinks he is.

>Unrelated, I'm watching the 87 movie for the first time since I was like twelve and the pacing is terrible.
Are you talking about when they get to training the new recruits? I don't remember the action letting for long up until then.

Oh, there's action, but the plot kinda flounders for the first hour. Most everything of consequence happens in the last half hour.

Doubt.jpg

Snake Eyes was a white guy though.

>metalgearv.jpg