Avatar handled an SJW plot about sexism with greater finesse and realism than any actual SJW cartoon to follow it

>Avatar handled an SJW plot about sexism with greater finesse and realism than any actual SJW cartoon to follow it
What was lost?

Attached: 386FC629-FF8E-45BC-AA24-CB9D9FF007F8.gif (300x226, 477K)

>hahaha I am an old sexist man and I have defeated you
>look at my necklace sir
>you have convinced me, I am an old sexist man no longer
Okay.

what's your argument for people who claim its no different from other "SJW plots"?
it was her mother's necklace, right? and the guy knew her mother, so he changed his mind about her. what's so wrong with that?

If Avatar was not a story for kids, there could have been some nuance about how the "bad guys" have a far more egalitarian society than these Northern tribes. Kinda parallel to how, despite the many evils of British colonialism, it actually reduced the sexism that was very prevalent in some of its colonies.

>it was her mother's necklace, right?
Grandmother's first, he actually made the necklace for Katara's grandmother. Kanna then passed it down to Kya, who passed it down to Katara.
>and the guy knew her mother, so he changed his mind about her. what's so wrong with that?
Conceptually? Absolutely nothing. However, it felt too quick and unnatural, forced even. One moment he's a staunch supporter of gender inequality, then the second he he sees his old flame's necklace and gets a speech about independence from Katara he makes a complete 180? It just doesn't feel right that after living all those years of living in that society coupled with being left at the altar he would change his viewpoint just like that. The plot is great, I just wish there had been more time to spend on it.

>what's so wrong with that?
she didn't won, she only use networking for some quick privileges.

No shit she wouldn't win.
Beating him would have been way worse because she was a child with no formal training.

>What was lost?
Nuance...

And our educational institutions.

Imagine actually thinking she should have won. The fought him so he would train her, if she could beat him why the fuck would she need training from him

>old sexist dude is reminded that being a sexist dude cost him a relationship
Seems nuanced to me

>old incel is reminded that his waifu cucked him and that he should now train her granddaughter so she might have sex with him

I think you've got some nostalgia goggles on OP. It's not a bad episode/message or anything but it's pretty standard "girl power" stuff. The only reason it doesn't seem as bad to you is because you saw it before you spent too much time around /pol/locks.

dont fucking defend that shit, it was hard to sit through

Katara was a Mary-Su the entire series. She cucked Zuko out of defeating Azula and instead of being healing support, she can take down an entire Fire Nation ship and track down her mom's killer in one episode.
Also, she has maximum OP ice stab jutsu, bloodbending, and avatar-state water bending. She's a prototype bitchy Korra.

>Katara willing to use 1-up on Zuko
>Cucks Zuko and uses it on Aang.

>Zuko saves Katara's life
>gets cucked and she picks Aang

I will never not be mad.

>Avatar handled an SJW plot about sexism with greater finesse and realism than any actual SJW cartoon to follow it
>Avatar handled an SJW plot about sexism with greater finesse
>men bad womzn good
>if man want to be good he must let womzn walk all over him
yeah no eat shit fag

The guy was right though

>>if man want to be good he must let womzn walk all over him
That bit pissed me off the most. Watching Bolin be a doormat to a bitch and Mako get played like a toy by a pair of cunts was honestly revolting. Sokka may have been the butt of jokes, but at least he didn't roll over and take shit, he gave it back.

>watching Bear Grylls' The Island season 2
>woman island devolves into shittery almost immediately to the point where the producers have to sneak them food and fresh water so that they don't die
>man island has a functioning hunter-gatherer system, full-scale fishing, a navy, and are murdering alligators in less than a week

I mean yeah it has more finesse than now, if only because they didn't have Katara kick his ass and have him be humbled or have a surprise even stronger than him female leader blow him out and train Katara better than him, but its still not one of the better episodes and pretty low on the overall scale with very quick resolutions and pretty poor reasoning for him to train her because plot demands it. Its not a great Avatar episode.

My problem with “sexism bad” plots in kids/YA media is that they ignore the real and practical reasons for gender roles and gendered division of labor.
It’s a bad idea to put women on the front lines; even in a fantasy world with elemental magic where physical strength is less of an issue, men still have faster reaction times.
Due to the way human reproduction works, men are much more expendable than women which is why they’re the ones that take more risks.

Somewhere down the line women started believing that everything was demeaning to them.