I bought this book, collecting Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 and it's terrible

I bought this book, collecting Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 and it's terrible.

I like Adam Warlock, Strange, Surfer, and Mephisto. I like how ridiculous the premise is, the snap and the fall out from it are both cool, and the art is good.

But the story is ridiculous. I get the cosmic epic angle, I was really vibing with it for a while, but the longer it went on, the less I started to like the story. Also, I've always thought that all of this happening so that Thanos could bone the human personification of Death was too abstract and silly, reading it here firsthand did not change my mind per se, but I became endeared to Death and her constant indifference in the face of Thanos' buffoonery. He just continues to make an ass of himself in every page and it's hard to figure out what's intentional and what's not, but it's all awful.

Anyone else?

> You should read Thanos Quest first.

How would the extra context provided by Thanos Quest make Infinity Gauntlet better? The story goes out of its way to make it clear that this is not the beginning of things even though it still presents its content in an easy to follow manner. The problem isn't that the story is confusing, it's that it's bad. Thanos Quest's merits would remain solely Thanos Quest's merits, or perhaps extend to the overarching Infinity Saga as a whole, but Infinity Gauntlet - this book - would still be bad.

Attached: 1565736825251.jpg (325x499, 53K)

go back to the thread you made on Yea Forums pleb

I accept your concession.

Are you trying to turn this into an epic new copypasta

No I just thought that Thanos Quest in no way shape or form makes up for Infinity Gauntlet being ass.

Thanos quest is where thanos gets the gems and tells silver surfer why he wants to wipe out half the universe and its also revealed he wants to bone death. The kind of trilogy is thanos quest>infinty gauntlet>infinity war. Youre starting and the middle and griping about it. Itd be like if you saw empire strikes back and didnt understand why luke was all mad when Vader revealed he was Luke's dad.

the story isnt about thanos wiping out half the universe, it's about thanos becoming a literal god and how he cant handle it

The Silver Surfer issues leading to Infinity Gauntlet are better than the event itself.

But I understand everything about the story.

I'm saying the story is bad.

That Empire comparison falls apart because Empire is good.

How is the story bad? It's very comic book-y for lack of a better term. It's supposed to be big and bombastic and silly.

Thanos wants to fuck death and to fuck death he needs to kill everyone. That's it, that's the story. Its not the best superhero comic book but its entertaining. Maybe you were expecting mcu tier charcaters and action and got something way more whacky.

I was expecting a semblance of character and catharsis, yes.

Thanos spends the entire run as a self-aggrandizing, petulant moron, and that would be fine if he were ever called out on those things. If something substantial came from those qualities.

But nothing ever does. He's only ever lectured on the folly of obtaining the Infinity Gems and being too much of a bitch to hold on to them. At one point in the story, they actually team up with Thanos to stop Nebula, whom has acquired the Gems.

Then Nebula gets arrested, and Thanos gets to retire to a farm, ruminating upon how Adam got the raw end of the deal? It's so dumb.

> and got something way more whacky

The whackiness (outside of the one page with Thanos squatting in space and asking for the heroes to come and get him) wasn't the problem.

>you think it's bad so you must not get it

No Thanos Quest won't save Infinity Gauntlet desu. It's easy to understand it's just not much there.

Sorry, but this post was so wholesome it made me reconsider. I won't call the story as a whole terrible, but I'm not a fan of Thanos.

Thanos being an idiot who can't get laid is absolutely done on purpose. He learns from his experiences in this book and goes on to grow as a person, earning his happy ending with Death eventually after being killed by Drax during Annihilation.
You ought to be. He's a good boy.

Attached: Thanos isn't sad.jpg (3562x1844, 2.74M)

>catharsis
What do you think Thanos has in the end?

A farm. It's a fucking meme.

>Thanos spends the entire run as a self-aggrandizing, petulant moron, and that would be fine if he were ever called out on those things. If something substantial came from those qualities.

Literally every cosmic being determined he was crazy and silver surfer called him crazy

>But nothing ever does. He's only ever lectured on the folly of obtaining the Infinity Gems and being too much of a bitch to hold on to them. At one point in the story, they actually team up with Thanos to stop Nebula, whom has acquired the Gems.
He wasnt a bitch, he physically merged with the universe and got knocked out and nebula took the gauntlet and wanted to use it to get vengeance on thanos for turning her into an undead zombie and it would rustle his jimmies if she took the gauntlet

Then Nebula gets arrested, and Thanos gets to retire to a farm, ruminating upon how Adam got the raw end of the deal? It's so dumb.
Because his own hubris caused his downfall and Adam Warlock thought he could handle the great power but didnt have the great responsibility in infinty war

Adam Warlock fucking SUCKS
He's a fucking Mary Sue and needs to never return to Marvel Comics, he's in literally EVERY major cosmic event.
>He's wielded the infinity gauntlet
>Became god himself
>Was apart of the living tribunal forever
>Met the one above all
>Is a righteous man who only believes in doing good
>has literally no character flaws whatsoever and instantly knows about whatever object he comes across

Fuck Warlock

I liked it. Thought it was a fitting end for a dude who became omnipotent, but (subconsciously and willingly) lost it. Felt like that should've been the last we saw of his character though, it doesn't make sense for him to come back every decade or so as a power-hungry warlord lusting after cosmic good-good

Attached: fb5.jpg (600x943, 111K)

thanks doc

>I was expecting a semblance of character and catharsis, yes.
This is why you need to read Thanos Quest. You don't need it to understand anything, but that is where Thanos' characterization is established. I felt similarly about the story when I first read it, but after reading Thanos Quest, the story felt more like a story and less like a series of semi-random events.

He was made to be perfect by design you know.

He's not a Mary Sue. He literally lost all those things and put the universe in peril multiple times due to his incompetence, and his flaws literally break away from him and try to take over/annihilate the universe at least once a decade. He's not a righteous man, he's just a guy who has no place in the universe---literally---and is trying to find somewhere to belong.

It's just another shitty Marvel event comic

Infinity gauntlet is not a standalone story, it's a conclusion to like, 10 years of Starlin's continuous storytelling.

The bare minimum is Thanos Quest. You have to read that to even get an idea what is happening in Infinity Gauntlet.

And before that you have to read at least Warlock, some parts of Silver Surfer Vol. 3, The Avengers-Captain Marvel-Warlock event and possibly even the original cosmic cube story in Captain Marvel.

>How would the extra context provided by Thanos Quest make Infinity Gauntlet better

The entirety of Thanos' character rests his development during Thanos Quest, and Starlin goes all out on the art. It's a quintessential space-fantasy book and Infinity Gauntlet doesn't even pretend it's the direct continuation of it.

It’s basically a story about how even giving a supervillain everything he wants with zero limitations on his ambition ultimately wouldn’t satisfy them; supervillains are who they are because they are damaged and filled with self-defeating tendencies.

Secret Wars did it better with Doom.

>has literally no character flaws whatsoever and instantly knows about whatever object he comes across
He has exactly 1 flaw and it's what set off all his problems, and that's a chronic apathy towards more or less everything. After his initial publications he basically forces himself to care about others, partly out of fear of becoming the magus, partly to prove himself he's not apathetic. Of course he's not presented that way, but his meta essentially developed into that as Starlin explored the character in the various infinity-related books.

He regards the time when he and his friends died and lived inside the soul gem without nothing to care for other than themselves as the happiest time in his life. After the gems and the watch are done for? He has a falling out with more or less everyone because he couldn't even pretend he was interested.

He's been shown to be careless, and shown to get frustrated at people to the point he tells them to fuck off to dire consequences.

He also breaks Gamora's heart by cheating on her because he's just kind of like that.

Attached: ADAMED.jpg (1000x1536, 357K)

Starlin only ever wrote one story...I dont suggest bothering with the sequels.

Actually he was brainwashed for that one.

funfact: It never wore off in canon, the IW ends with him technically still obsessed with her and starlin forgot about it.

Marvel The End is a great deconstruction of the canon's meta. With that said, he does only write variations on the themes omnipotence and cycles/repetition. That is, until you read his Epic and other works. Starlin is the greatest 70s-style writer still around.

He was brainwashed and Gamora and him weren't exactly dating if I recall. Did Adam even love Gamora in a romantic sense? I know Starlin tried doing something with both of them but it never really went anywhere.

Mary Sue lost all of its meaning