Unsounded

Kind of sad that the fourteen-year-old(?) Lemuel has a better grasp on the situation than Claggart.

Attached: ch14_81[1].jpg (600x900, 240K)

What's with all the Soud?

Where are all the silvers?

Decided to do a re-read of the comic over the weekend and noticed this. Am I crazy or is that an efheby bite mark in Duane's back?

Attached: x-files theme blares in the distance.jpg (899x748, 179K)

Who's to say that's true? Claggart's been watching the status quo play out for what, a century? Nothing's changed. The little fourteen year old nobody is just like all the other teenagers who spring up and think they've figured out the world. Not worth paying attention to.

You're crazy. That's the hole from that crossbow bolt that got him in the back.

Ah you're right. Thanks m8

new reaction image

Attached: clag.png (219x481, 206K)

shorter version

Attached: clag2.png (219x302, 129K)

>that Claggart lip bite
Ssael forgive me for the evils in my mind right now

I mean he WASN'T wrong. The Gefendur push for Council rebalancing happened and Alderode's apparently been getting shitter ever since

Is Silver pussy that good?

It's gotta be.

Who wouldn't want a go at one of these bints?

Attached: Silver poon.jpg (176x610, 39K)

Old people are out of touch, news at 11

The young always think revolution is just around the corner, they don't have a grasp of the long sweep of history that experience gives you. Claggart might be complacent but I wouldn't discount his wisdom considering the Crescian-Alderode conflict has been going on for many centuries and he has probably lived through a couple of those himself, being a Jet.

Of course by virtue of being when the story is set, Lem is correct that big shit is around the corner

We know Lem is right tho

Oh no I like Claggart even more.
How many death flags is he at now

Yeah but not due to any special insight regarding this rebellion. Just coincidence. Dramatic irony in this case.

Nothing he pointed out was incorrect

Jon was a beta
Claggart's got enough Big Dick Energy to block death

Not good enough for Bastion, unfortunately.

Attached: after_the_party_b.png (337x188, 34K)

It's nice to see Claggart respect Duane more now. Duane needed to drop his air of dumb city boy pissmob attitude

Everyone in this thread is busy giving Claggart not unwarranted handjobs, but it's still interesting no one's commented upon his casual remark about it not being Lemuel's, or Duane's for that matter, place to worry about the future of the country. Obviously he's not a total bad guy and all, but it's an example of how pervasive the weird caste system is in Alderode. Jet's basically have the Aldish version of White Man's Burden where they believe it's their responsibility, and right, to be the dictator's of the country's destiny.

We see similar things with Duane. It's not quite caste based, but it's very easy for Duane to slip into his religiosity and pontificate about who should be doing what. He's a great guy and all, but still. Not that I'm complaining about any of this or that it makes Claggart's character any lesser. He's like Duane in this regard, he has his virtues and his vices and they seem very inextricably linked together in their love of their country.

Alderode is a giant cult; everyone is like this

Well, he's unable to bust a nut in a silver.

Lemuel's not incorrect in the end, but it's hard to know just how much he actually grasps about what's going on. It doesn't exactly take a genius to think the Ssaelits and Gefendur will go at it in Alderode, but on the other hand it doesn't seem like there's actually much going on at the time for Lemuel to point to as specific problems that are any different than they've ever been.

Ultimately it seems a lot like how the US Civil War happened. People were predicting it for longer than the actual country had existed, but through compromises and politicking, nothing happened for well over a century. Until it finally did, for the same reasons people had always been saying it would happen and yet hadn't actually sparked it in the past. It wasn't hard to predict that a civil war would break out, much like it's not a startling leap in logic to predict a huge fucking earthquake in California. But the key is predicting when it'll happen. If someone is always saying it's right around the corner, eventually one of them will happen to be saying so when it actually is. It's easy to see Lemuel's constant paranoia as being correct reasoning and Claggart's as simply being a old man who's gotten too used to how things are to see how they might change. And while the latter may be true, we've yet to see how Lemuel's reasonings may bear out. He was involved in some shady business himself, most likely. And especially because the vision of the civil war in Alderode we saw is tied up in the silver pain bomb conspiracy, itself being at least partially manipulated by a crazy rape snake. So who knows what might have happened if that spark wasn't there? Not to mention the Queen is planning to fuck around in the very metaphysics of Alderode, which I can't imagine might not cause problems too. Though perhaps it won't be relevant in this specific crisis.

Attached: dude, let me in, I'm a fairy.jpg (264x291, 47K)

>nothing happened for well over a century
Whoops, more like just under a century. For some reason I keep thinking it was longer between the country's founding and the Civil War, mostly on the latter end.

Well said.

When caste is literally in your veins why WOULDNT you
There’s a reason the entire continent is scared of Alderode and put up with Cresce’s buffing about. To an outsider the place is, how did Beadman put it? Pulp horror?
And it’s the inverse to the Alds, who see Cresce wanting to undo the very fabric of their souls. The way the average Ald sees it, undoing the Dammakhert leads to six different kinds of genocide. And that’s not even touching the unique Ssaelit perspective

>old Coppers get huge and thicc
Oh lawd

Silvers are super-strict about interaction between castes and lack the benefits of the other castes in terms of longevity, connection to the khert, or sheer numbers.

So there's a pretty good chance they're mostly used in support roles like sapper units or just have their own divisions that don't mix castes like Claggart and Duane's unit does.

What is a "brace of bubbies"?

Tits. I think.

I've seen brace used to a pair of something, though usually in a hunting sense "a brace of hares" or some such. So a pair of tits how I read it.

>YWN have a silver she-warrior hang your virtue from her girdle like an enemy skull
I never asked to feel

Holy shit, that face.

Happy birthday, Cope.

Look at the expression on Claggart's face. He feels it too, but doesn't want to acknowledge it. We seem to be seeing the seed of what got Lemuel into whatever intrigue he's in.

Pretty wild honestly that Lem is only 16 but you can already see that crazy drive that led him to whatever unspeakable conspiracy that is to come
Also how Lemuel is being a better father to Will than Argenti Sr.

>FTW you will never romance a dark-skinned, white-haired reverse trap

Attached: 978531_oddboyanim_ramlethal.png (1492x1338, 850K)

I wonder if she expected Claggart to be this popular with her audience. If it weren't for the massive buffer, I would think he was being included more as a reaction to positive reader reaction.

A handful of hams, a mass of mammaries, a cupful of cleavage perhaps?

You're too used to fiction where the good guys are clearly good and flawless. It's a sign of good fiction when the "bad guys" have some merit and the "good guys" have awful flaws.

She expected him to get over well with readers. One she didn’t expect was the Shartshane patsy king to be received as well as he was, but people loved that guy.

>Thinking about Star Trek

You are experiencing something that is rare in comics both online and off: good writing. You like Claggart because she made you like Claggart. A good writer doesn't follow the demands of the reader. A good writer takes the reader where she wants them to go. Your heart is hanging off Cope's girdle like an enemy skull.

She hyped him up in her page comments preceeding these, so I would assume she did

>Everyone in this thread is busy giving Claggart not unwarranted handjobs, but it's still interesting no one's commented upon his casual remark about it not being Lemuel's, or Duane's for that matter, place to worry about the future of the country. Obviously he's not a total bad guy and all, but it's an example of how pervasive the weird caste system is in Alderode. Jet's basically have the Aldish version of White Man's Burden where they believe it's their responsibility, and right, to be the dictator's of the country's destiny.
I see something similar in intergenerational spats in reality. "Young people are foolish and inexperienced [so there should be a high minimum voting age or something]" say the old, while the young say "why should the old get to make decisions they won't have to be the ones to pay for [so there should be a maximum voting age or something.]"

It's just that, in Alderode, the short-lived castes get both of these at once - but the arguments there are just as legitimate as they are here, pretty much, however much you think that is.

I suppose that would make kids like Lemuel even more supportive of their own caste and to the caste system in general. The gold caste is the only place he has any power or potential at all. He and Duane are meaningless flies to the Jets and just outright shit to the Coppers.

Cope is exceptionally skilled at writing characters who are deeply flawed but still likable and ultimately human. Murkoph's really been the only misfire in the entire comic, explicitly because he's so inhuman (both in terms of being monstrous but also being kind of a cartoon character).

Her ability is especially pronounced given the company her comic keeps. Lots of writers these days, both amateur and professional but especially in the online space, expect you to like or dislike a character based chiefly on what that character represents, as opposed to whether or not they're actually likable or relatable or interesting or engaging. In a lesser comic Claggart would just be the Privileged, Racist Commanding Officer, and that would be the end of his characterization. Cope allows him to be more, and what's more, creates a narrative in which his views are able to soften naturally as opposed to blunt force trauma or killing him to service a weirdly passive-aggressive aesop.

And by allowing Claggart to be human, Cope actually allows Claggart to recognize Duane and his brother as human as well. It's damning AND sympathetic. You can do both.

Is this before or after he cut off his balls?

You could make the argument that Claggart isn't being demeaning or patronizing to Duane/Lemuel here, he's just stating the truth: it isn't a Soud's place to worry about such things, nor is it in fact a Jet's. The Coppers control the country in actuality, and worrying about such things when you not only don't know what's actually going on, but can't even play the fucking game (the coppers can literally wait out the opposition; coppers who saw Queen Sonorie's rise to power are just now starting to die) is silly. Every caste has a role.

Which is of course incredibly horrendous to us, but then biological differences between humans are mostly minor. In Alderode, a copper will go through GENERATIONS of normal humans and every plat is an inhumanly good wright by birth.

This world is so cool. But also strangely really easy to relate to. So many fantasy worlds lose me because they're so alien.

It just occurred to me we haven't seen Duane's lads in awhile, so I flipped back a few pages to the khert going crazy bit. I thought those were the OTHER guy's kids, but I guess they're Duane's? Or also Duane's?

I feel like a huge idiot. I'm not sure why I didn't process this sooner. I thought Duane was just bent out of shape over killing/trapping anyone's kids.

Nah, the dead floaty kids were enemy Plats. They're dressed totally different and are wearing that weird red flower patch that the rebels all wear. I don't think we know what happened to Duane's kids outside of Jon dying.

Duane asks lemuel at page 69 and lemuel says that are probably up there.

Also all those plat kids that got 40k'ed has that revolution red flower.

They are the enemy plat kids
Bet you feel like a double idiot now

Oh so they're just missing? Cut off from the crew?

I usually don't have this much difficulty following the comic but for some reason that specific development gave me a bit of "What's going on," like back during the cursed silver fight..

Yeah. It seemed pretty obvious to me, but I obsess over this comic. The camp was attacked, there was an explosion brought on by the rebels, Duane tossed the kids into that building and then fell into the earth when the cliff collapsed. The group we're with now doesn't know where the rest of their party is. And that party probably thinks this group is super dead.

It's because Ashley is bad at panelling

Not in general, I don't think, but whenever a fight involving something LARGE and somewhat indistinct, very yes.

The First Silver beast was hard to parse in action and getting my bearings in the Khert cave explosion aftermath has been similarly confusing, though not as confusing since it's ultimately a stationary object.

I'm not sure. In the very first chapter with the giant tree thing the action was very clear and easy to follow. I wonder if the increasing addition of detail and the shrinking of the panels to fit more and more on each page is part of the problem. When you try to make every page stand on its own you have to cut shit out that is helpful for clarity. I wouldn't say the panelling itself is bad, just that the action needs MORE panels and Ashley should cool it with all the details. The background should just go away in action scenes so the figures are easier to read.

But eh I think like a lot of things it stems from how stupid it is that this is a webcomic. It's bad for the delivery.

My man claggart.

I love the first fight again the Silver now, but that's because I've read it about 5 times. The first time, I thought it was cool but also had no idea what was going on. I can't put my finger on why exactly it's hard to follow sometimes, but it's probably the only thing I wish I could change about the comic (other than maybe the no dicks rule).

I look forward to reading that fight in print. I think seeing it big, in HD, on a page, will help a lot. Ash also said she was going to go back and edit the art before it goes in the book.