Fantasia

How do you anons feel about this film? Fantasia 2000 is welcome as well.
As a kid I watched this surprisingly often. I guess I liked the synchronized music and lack of dialogue.

Also have something to share in my next post.

Attached: Fantasia2.png (640x480, 549K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NL5skeYNRD8
youtu.be/VhBzRWPOII0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In the last MEGA thread user asked me to upload an ISO of the first disc of the Fantasia Anthology set from 2000, but I was unable to. As promised, I'll post it here, along with the bonus material I posted before.

Fantasia ISO (1940, DVD from 2000)
aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGITcyUmlqU0xZIUlpbTlfZkpNOW9scC11NmpDNW1jUmc=

Fantasia Legacy ISO aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGIVRuUjJVSUxLIXVodW5aZ0xTZ2QwM3hWTF9SamFUa1E=

Clair de Lune (cut Fantasia segment from the disc in the 2nd link) aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGIVdENGxqSWphIWJYeURNTUxnUFZncVpPTkM1bGRCTFE= B64, you know the drill.

Attached: Fantasia.png (640x480, 593K)

I think they're both fantastic films.
Fantasia was something like theatrical work of art brought to cinema and including such a colorful variety of ideas.
Fantasia 2000 was a bit less since most of the in-between moments were celebrities and often comedic, but it also had the value of more stories in the musical numbers and not just lines or mushrooms dancing.

Bought a Blu-ray doublepack of both recently and cherish them both.

Few notes about this version:
>Deems Taylor
Taylor's voice has been dubbed over like on the BD. His voice was intact in the trimmed version seen on VHS and LD, but his voice from the previously cut scenes from the longer roadshow version have been lost and thus Disney decided to dub him over entirely for parity. Here is a comparison:
youtu.be/NL5skeYNRD8

>Sunflower
Still censored since the late '60s, you will only find her on very old prints. Censored shots are matted instead of cut entirely which preserves the soundtrack unlike VHS/LD versions.

>Video
It's an old transfer and looks a bit tattered in parts, but it does seem to lack DNR unlike the BD version.

>Audio
From what I've heard this is the version most faithful to the original lost Fantasound mix, maybe apart from an earlier LD release.(although that's missing segments from the Pastoral Symphony) Includes a DTS track, Dolby Digital track, commentary track and readings from old Walt Disney interviews.

Attached: Fantasia3.png (640x480, 443K)

It's my favorite Disney film. Fantasia 2000 is close but it's a noticeable step down from the original.
I think Disney had a real talent for combining visuals with music in such a way, I know the package films get some slack but I adored them and still do for much the same reasons I love Fantasia.
>His voice was intact in the trimmed version seen on VHS and LD
I have the VHS, the DVD, and a VHS/DVD player, I might pop both in to see the changes to pastoral symphony and more of Deems Taylor, which I never really noticed until the comparison video. Any other changes?

Neat. Is the DVD quality 480p or 720?

The big one is the length. As many of you know, Fantasia wasn't exactly an success so Walt very reluctantly decided to significantly cut the film and replaced the overly expensive to use Fantasound(which was one of the earliest multi-channel sound systems) with your typical '40s monaural sound. Originally it was cut to around 80 minutes, but the common pre-DVD length was 100+ minutes. Modern versions are 126 minutes.
Of Fantasound, only the left and right channels survive today. Modern releases are recreations and none are accurate, but some more than others. Many consider the soundtrack on the BD release to be butchered, which is why I uploaded this.

All links are 480p, the screenshots are what it looks like.

Nice. Thanks again.

Occasional reminder to anyone who likes Fantasia/2000 to watch pic related.

Attached: MV5BMTY5NzI4MjE2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg3OTU5NTE@._V1_.jpg (1026x1500, 501K)

I might. Thanks user.

What's it about? If it's like Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea or Breadwinner I'll watch

Gave me my centaur fetish.

One of my favorite Disney movies. I love that Walt made it for the art, and the concept of interpreting classical pieces with animation is incredible.

Someone post the deleted scenes...

Second link has all of them, but here are some separate files for those who don't need the ISO:

aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56LyNGIUMzQnd5S0phIXZvRlpzNlk5NDJtX0NBNzFBaXJnUkE

Most are just concept art, but Invitation to the Waltz is a storyboard with some animation and Clair de Lune is completely finished.(must see for anyone who enjoyed Fantasia)

Attached: Clair de Lune.png (640x480, 498K)

It's mostly an anthology with vignettes animated by various people over the poetry of Khalil Gibran and/or music by Damien Rice. It has a framing story about a little girl meeting a poet in a non-descript middle eastern country on the day he's supposed to be released from political imprisonment (directed by Roger Allers who directed the original Lion King).
Really it's the vignettes that make it sort of a spiritual successor to Fantasia/2000, the framing story is and looks kinda shit. Notable vignette directors include
>Tomm Moore: Song of the Sea, Secret of Kells
>Bill Plympton: Cheatin, Idiots and Angels
>Joann Sfar: The Rabbi's Cat
>Nina Paley: Sita Sings the Blues
>Gaëtan and Paul Brizzi: Fantasia 2000 (segment "Firebird Suite, The"), Astérix et la Surprise de César
youtu.be/VhBzRWPOII0

Attached: 0 ByWl-XSFdE2N7Cuf.jpg (1200x675, 352K)

>any attempt to mix the old sound mix fro the old 2000s DVD and sync it over the BD release
>a shame THE MOUSE wouldn't let criterion to restore the film with film grain, non magenta sygar candy colors and sunflower restored.

Apparently there's been some work towards making a Star Wars Despecialized type release for Fantasia, using the LD sound mix with Deems Taylor and BD video with shots from a private film print in HD for restoring Sunflower. I have yet to find any downloads though.

As for Disney themselves, the only reason why the 2000 DVD got as much love as it did is because Roy Disney loved this movie and wanted to continue it's legacy which is also why we got Fantasia 2000. With him gone, modern Disney doesn't give a rat's ass about either of these films.

Attached: Sunflower.png (1039x826, 1.07M)

bump

as a kid my favourite part was the dinosaur part
as an adult i like the night on bald mountain the most

Fun fact:
The dinosaur section in Rite of Spring is where the whole idea for The Land Before Time came from. Originally the creators envisioned the film to not have any dialogue like the Fantasia sequence.

>Fantasia's special effects
There's something to be said about art in limitation. Watching this film you never realize how elaborate those tools really were.

Attached: sfx.png (640x480, 594K)