The Boys

Any anons watched The Boys?

What'd you think of it?

Attached: boys_ver2_xlg[1].jpg (1013x1500, 596K)

If you've only watched the show it's very enjoyable. If you're familiar with the source material, then you'll know the source material is fucking trash and this is somehow marginally worse.

I think its Garth Ennis's masturbatory excuse to shit on superheroes, religion, and America in general, and that edgetards eat that shit up and join in the circle jerk with him

ITT: autistic manchildren can't handle anything that insults their favourite superhero comics

In all fairness MM is religious, Annie still seems to be somewhat religious and Hughie is at least agnostic.

The only character seemingly anti-religion is Butcher, and it's made clear that he's not very well adjusted

Terrible show, highly advice anyone who thinks otherwise to give the comic a read.

This, fuck The Boys. The comic was shit and so is the show

I only watched the show and liked it. Some good moments. Butcher and Homelander especially kill it, almost all of the actors/character writing are/is great too.

Yeah, seemed more like anti-batshit-televangelism, which seems outdated, since that bubble isn't really the American zeitgeist anymore. More or less was in the 00s though.

spbp

Now go read the comic to get a good understanding as to why most people here didn't like it.

Not the same guy, but I tried reading the comic but could only get 2 or 3 issues in. Just wasn't a fan

>Butcher and Homelander especially kill it
but homelander was fucking great to watch.

I liked it.

Comic was better.

The book is like Garth Ennis wanking himself off, which may or may not be good depending on whether you find Garth Ennis's wank material entertaining.

The show, I don't even know what the fuck it's supposed to be, but people who don't read comics sure seem to think it's fresh.

I meant the first definition, user.

Homelander was legitimately fucking terrifying at times.

Attached: 2019-08-13 11_43_30-Window.png (607x378, 13K)

The original comic was running during the absolute height of my comic fandom, just during the time I was getting into the Alan Moore/general deconstruction comics like Watchmen and the like, so for me it is a very formative, important book.

As an adaptation of that work I feel like it's a let down, the book was very much about comics, superheroes and the industry, as well as using a superman expy that felt more in line with All Star Superman, while the show seems to want to play up a hollywood paralel and commentary on the me too movement. I find this very cliche, and its insistence on not letting the existing female characters be as awful as the men (the wonder woman expy if fucking absurdly overwrought in the show) makes it feel less anarchic and punk and more like, modern hollywood politics.

I can see, without a familiarity to the source material, why the novelty of an R rated super hero story that has some admittedly good performances would be appealing, but longtime comic fans have had stories like these for decades, done better, so the novelty isn't there.

Also, Hughie fucking sucks ass in the show and isn't even remotely similar to the book character.

People who don't read comics have barely ever seen a proper superhero deconstruction, when your entire benchmark for the genre is the Zack Snyder Watchmen movie this show must seem like a masterpiece.

Also, I like the edgy Garth Ennis books, but your milleage may vary.

Starlight best girl

Attached: starlight.png (600x338, 133K)

>Homelander is legit better in the show than the comic.
>Butcher has a great actor with Urban but his characterization is shit
>Hughie comes off as a manipulative redditor cunt
I would say this show is great if you aren't huge into comics in general. But if you have read The Boys or have seen every single capeshit released this won't be anything special. I would have to wait for season 2 for my final impression compared to the comic. Since it looks like season 2 is going to completely disregard comic while also making the boys team more like the comic.

Be honest, how many sex scenes did they remove in the show?
"suck it" ?

They kept the basic blowjob scene (though they changed how she reacted to it, and the level of complicity the team has for it)

They removed most of the other sex scenes, Butcher isn't sleeping with the CIA agent, and she's written as a lot stronger. All the women, in general, are written to be strong independant women who's only failings are due to males being shitty.

Hey I like the Ennis books too. I'm just calling them what they are. I think you have to have a certain kind of sense of humor and detachment from things happening in a funny book to get enjoyment out of it. I mean it's like the whole book is basically just taking the piss. The fucked up stuff isn't serious, there's only like maybe 5% of stuff in there meant to be taken seriously.

The show on the other hand, why the fuck is there so much drama? I think you hit the nail on the head, it's just a bland superhero deconstruction, which completely misses the point of the source material. The Boys wasn't a deconstruction, it was more like let's literally make superheroes into rapists because it's funny. As a serious deconstruction it's just kind of boring.

>They kept the basic blowjob scene (though they changed how she reacted to it, and the level of complicity the team has for it)

But did she still suck it?

Watched it.
Loved it.
Made me realize that when asked in threads all these years how I'd behave with Superman's powers? Probably like Homelander.

Yes, but she goes through an entire me too story afterwards, and publicly shames him.

>edgetards eat that shit up
I love Superman and superheroes in general. I also hated most of the DCEU because it was edgetard try hard shit. This at least follows the same logic that DC did when Moore wanted to write Watchmen with Charleton characters, and as much as I know I'd hate it if the same show was made with the actual Justice League, I love it with amalgams.

This. I don't even get what the hell the show is supposed to be. It just sort of mashes a dark drama show from modern HBO style television into some scenes and situations that were also in The Boys, but it isn't even trying to be similar in tone. And anyone who's read a decent amount of comics will find it completely tiresome, because we've seen evil superman loads of times already.

>What'd you think of it?
GIVE YOUR DAMN FUCKING OPINION OF IT, YOU DAMN FUCKING SHEEP!

I didn't finish the show so I didn't know that.
You have to be fucking shitting me.

Attached: 1564059422507.png (1280x720, 444K)

>we've seen evil superman
Is Homelander evil though?
Human? Yes.
Imperfect? Yes.
Flawed? Yes.
Compromised? Absolutely.
But Evil?
He couldn't save everyone on the plane. Had there been a survivor, he and The Seven and Vaught would have been compromised. Do they all do fucked up shit? Yeah. Did he do fucked up shit? Yeah. But he did it for Stillwell, and the only entity he's ever felt loyalty to, and by the end of the series, he recognizes that those who he has been loyal to, haven't been loyal to him, and have in fact been dishonest with him the entire time.
And yet, when approached by someone with the sole intent to hurt him, misled in his motivations like how Homelander had been, if he were just a sociopath, he could have let him die. But he didn't. Everything he does in the show he does because it is what Vaught wants, so he does it, until he starts asking questions on his own and thinking for himself.

You are 100% right that we have seen evil Superman many times, but I think the only times we've seen a version like this have been only the best parts of Injustice. If anything I felt Homelander was closer to Red Sun Superman more than Ultraman. And by the end of Season 1, Stalin just died, so without those who he answered to, and finally thinking for himself, what does he do now?

>I don't even get what the hell the show is supposed to be.
Well Corporatism is bad, for one? They reference the anti-Bush Doctrine, but Homelander's references of it are done in the purpose of Vaught's pursuits. They are trying to the 21st century Military Industrial Complex, and is a complete inversion of what Ultimate SHIELD was. In lieu of Government acquisition, management, and application of metas, this would be a private organization developing and, leasing, and sending out metas, inserting them within the armed forces, with no accountability from the government because it lacks the force to be able to contend with those of this corporation.

What sort of fucking incel edgelord are you? Homelander isn't evil? What the fuck is wrong with you.

First 3 episodes were neat, quick experience. gotta love Frenchie, but no homo, ok. Also Kimiko is cutey. Butcher/homelander stuff is overrated and cheasy, and not in right way. Also it already feels dated.
Also guys: who wins in contest of bestsuperhero genre dissection series 2019?

Umbrella academy, Doom patrol, theTick, Titans or Boys'?

also section 8 series when

Attached: 1464295080024.png (636x758, 1.1M)

Doom Patrol wins hands down, that show is hella fun, does meta humor well, and has likeable, fleshed out characters.

OP here, just now reading the comic and I prefer the stronger CIA agent. Just cucking her husband in the first scene gives Butcher literally no reason to listen to her or for me to consider a character who's going to do or say anything worthwhile or for her opposition to feel like it matters. I expect her to be a worthless, boring non-obstacle at best now. Fine if you're going all-in with the edge/dark humor but doesn't fit the show much.

Not-Wonder Woman just being a wallflower thrown into situations she never enjoys, whose only person she's really hurt being herself and her SO, was kinda shit though. She has no real reason to stay in The Seven except being afraid of Homelander.

Translucent seemed better written and more human. He's not a totally bad dude, is privy to shit, tries to protect his livelihood and his team, has things to live for, but he clearly has fun doing selfish stuff with his powers and likes the social power his position gives him. That's more realistic, all of these people should have some degree of vanity, narcissism, thrill-seeking, hedonism, greed or autism core to their character that keeps them in Team Corporate Bad Guy, else, why the fuck have you stayed so long? Why are you there in the first place? What's keeping you there?

>consider a character
consider her as a character*

The book is intentionally making them shallow as a commentary on superheroes, making them deep or understandable misses the point.

>What sort of fucking incel edgelord are you?
IDK user. I had a lot of people dismissing me as a Marvel shill brainlet who didn't understand the subtleties of Snyder's "brilliance" in the DCEU because I asked a lot of questions about it. I also really loved Tomassi's Rebirth Superman run, so you tell me.

Unlike in those movies though, these characters have clearer motivations for why they do what they do. They have arcs. They aren't just action figures, and while as I said, Homelander did a lot of fucked up shit, the ball doesn't just wind up 100 feet over there on it's own. Someone had to throw it. There is cause and effect and purpose in what he does, and more than that, what he doesn't do. Is it the best writing ever? No, but it is substantial enough to be given the contextual benefit of the doubt to have been written by someone who does not like superheroes. So they are going to be flawed, they are not going to be perfect, and they are going to be satire of who they are based on. And as long as someone is clearly meant to be like Superman, but doesn't run around with a red cape, an S on his chest, and has people calling him Superman, I'm willing to take his actions at face value, and judge them based on context, motivation, and subtext as well. I'm sorry if you feel my doing so in the case of Homelander makes you feel the need to dismiss me as an incel edgelord. I promise if you got to know me, I believe I could convince you that was not the case and not who I am.

Attached: Action Comics (2016-) 976-018.jpg (1988x3056, 1.74M)

>Umbrella academy, Doom patrol, theTick, Titans or Boys'?
As a deconstruction of super heroes?

I like the Tick but out of all the shows it feels the most tame, but the one that mastered being cheesy

Umbrella Academy is great. It makes fun of the absurdity of comics. But at the end of the day it still very much a super hero show.

I have not watched Titans, but maybe I'll start when S2 comes out

Doom Patrol has my favorite version of Cyborg. It does a better job at being a parody or satire of capes than Umbrella Academy. I'm not going to lie, the show makes me happy for Brendon Frasure

The boys is the most direct parody or satire. It definitely starts off strong, the ending is cheesy but the wrote themselves into that corner.

I did , I enjoyed it. I liked how it much it felt like The Boys were the underdogs with nothing but smarts and ball carrying them. I liked how it seemed like a fight against both a megalithic corporation and a team of fucking gods. It's like trying to successfully sue Disney and fight Zeus at the same time.
I liked that the Boys actually barely did anything, because they could barely do anything, so every small victory felt really hard-fought and the big victories would've been nothing without these.

The obvious commentary felt weirdly done. Like you're mixing your 2019 messages with your 2004 messages, wat.

desu, I probably would have stopped watching the show if it weren't for The Boys and Homelander, the rest of the show is ehhhhhh. Starlight is hit or bleh and I can only see Not-Aquaman bullied for so long.

Show was good. Tried the comic and it's fucking hideous and ridiculously edgy.

>how it much
how much it felt*
>smarts and ball
balls*

The book doesn't really have a point other than fuck superheroes. The show manages to do it without making them mustache twirlingly evil.

i enjoyed snyders films a lot for what they were.
either way, agree with you, Homelander isnt evil, just the victim of a great old gotcha

It's OK, not bad, but not exactly wonderful either.

It feels very rushed as far as plot development goes. Needs more time to build up the supers as absolute shitheads.

Only watched the first 4 episodes so far.
Overall its decent. Homelander basically steals the show.

The book is consistently funny, though, the show isn't, and plays the drama straight.

>The book doesn't really have a point other than fuck superheroes
did this fucker actually read the book?

The "humor" in the first few issues really put me off. It read like some teenagers edgy fanfic
>haha his dog RAPES stuff lol
>the boys are DAMAGED

It's actually a very good take down of the me too culture bullshit. How the very same people who were telling Starfire to dress like a slut and suck dicks were in charge of rebranding her as a "powerful woman who will not be victimized". Basically underlining the fact that even when the corporations "lose" they still get your fucking money.

ESLs should lurk moar and not post

Her takedown, at the megachurch, could have worked, but they tied her speech to an absolutely toothless middle of the road "maybe religion is flawed but I'm still a strong progressive christian."

If this was a Garth Ennis story she'd be calling them all pedophille scumfuckers and pointing out their small dicks.

Watched the show, decent so far, read the comic, it was shit at first but came into its own after the embarrassing Russia arc.
The show will likely steadily decline considering they already fucked up or removed any of the story elements that became interesting later on in the comics, namely fucking murdering Stillwell and Butcher's characters.

I watched it after RLM recommendation. It is far better than I had expected, but still not very good. Basically a totally different narrative, from the comic.

Did they murder the comic version of the character or did they murder the show version of the character and any hope it could be interesting?

These aren't the same thing, despite what people who've read the book/comics first think.

Their version of the comic character fucking sucked and added nothing to the story, the "crazy psycho with mommy issues" shit has been done to death at this point and the idea of comic book Stillwell treating Homelander like an overgrown toddler throwing a tantrum was much more interesting.

I am curious but I absolutely couldn't fucking stand the comic so I haven't looked into it much.
Ennis' edgy 14 year old humor just does nothing for me.

Show is pretty different I'd give it a shot

Karl Urban's british accent is distracting awful and slips back into a kiwi accent a lot.

I've only read the comics, but from what I've heard I'm pretty sure I won't be able to stand the changes. Might skim through just to see how they've adapted some scenes, like 9/11.

You are NOT going to like the "9/11" scene.

Just YouTube'd it, and you were absolutely right. Talk about gutted. I expected them to cut out a few bits and pieces ("MICHAEL", "FUCKING NIGGER", Maeve's explosive exit, maybe Mister Marathon's decapitation), but they took out EVERYTHING that made the scene impactful. If they're not going to adapt it properly, why do it at all?

Attached: 20190813_131658.jpg (581x601, 287K)