Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison

If this was so successful why I never heard them after this?

Attached: 71zA6wOt9aL.jpg (673x1000, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/search/subject/Seven Soldiers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Morrison is really bad at getting other people to pick up characters he created/revived.
For example Batman Inc. only had one spin off, Batwing, and even that changed who Batwing was really quickly.
Damian is the only example I can think of that really took off.

I think a lot of writers are intimidated by Morrison's rabbit hole.

I remember Shilo showed up in Firestorm, andthe gang as a whole showed up in Sideways to battle the Sheeda again in the Dark Multiverse. Nobody seems to acknowlede how bullshit it was Zatanna fucked up Zor, though. With that kind of power she should be smacking the Otherkind around.

I have no idea. Seven Soldiers was fantastic and I loved all of the characters. There was a Klarion mini a while back that was fucking awful, and several of the characters have appeared in team books (Justice League Dark) but they've all been incredible mediocre. Nobody really understands Morrison's characters or what to do with them and instead of building on the foundations he created they just want to do their own thing with the characters. I hope Morrison revisits them one day.

They appeared in Sideways

>If this was so successful why I never heard them after this?
Because you're a casual.

Frankenstein's been all over the place

i liked frankenstein agent of shade

If its so successful, why is this the first thread about it I have ever seen, despite being on this board since fucking 2007?

desuarchive.org/co/search/subject/Seven Soldiers/

Buildup was nice, but it all go downways at the end. Most of the Seven soldiers didn't do anything important about Sheeda other than telling their own crazy stories. It's supposed to be climax, but to me, it felt like movie whose scenes were cut off.

And what all those crazy 'Nebula-man' stuff is impossible to understand unless you read JLA Classified 1-3

Still I don't think Mister Miracle story part was necessary since he did not even meet one bloody Sheeda and did nothing to hold off their invasion. It was just like 'Final Crisis is coming ring ring ring'

Definitely not that successful. There were many unresolved issues in this book but most of them are forgotten.

Thats actually a really, really low number of threads for something spaced out that long. And half of those threads are just people storytiming it on two separate occasions, which means actual discussion about it is even less common.

Because you suck.

Without Mister Miracle this clusterfuck is more like a tragedy of mankind. Now we can all blame Darkside and hope for the new life.

How good is this? How does it compare to his other work?

Zatanna is somewhat popular

Because Yea Forums doesn't like to talk about good books.

batman inc should be a ongoing
its great

its really really really good, very cathartic for me, but some people itt disagree. diff strokes

People don't tend to play with Morrison's toys, I guess. New York being overshadowed by Metropolis and Gotham is a really fucking cool detail that I like from this series. Who are the DC heroes that make New York their main base?

Alright, I'll read it soon. Thank you.

Shinning Knight needs her own Book being a time-traveling knight of the round table.

Isn't part of the story that the group saved the universe without ever actually coming together in-person?

Yeah, some of them came withing spitting distance of each other, like when the car Klarion was in nearly ran over Manhattan Guardian, but that's it.

This. But I also think it's because Morrison wrote an annual in that series, which he used to reintroduce Superboy in it.

These characters have always been Z-listers, it's why Morrison wanted to write the book. Klarion and Zee have usually been more popular in cartoons anyway.

What, just cause Morrison wrote a story about a character you expect them to be shot up in popularity? Take your mouth off Morrison's cock, people only read his A-Lister character books.

DC never pushed them

Interestingly enough, they're getting used a bit more often recently with Seven soldiers being used in Sideways, Frankenstein showing up all over the place, Bulleteer making a few cameos in GLs, and Manhattan Guardian also making cameos

Hope this leads to hightened interest and more use, like maybe a new Seven soldiers book? Or solos for them like intended?

Is Ystin the most prominent DC nonbinary character?
Frankenstein is leading a new team in Gotham City Monsters starting next month

Obligatory post.

Attached: i am zor.jpg (584x396, 229K)

It's horrible. They always write Franky as being verbose and a literal cry baby, when the fucking concept is that he's little an undead Clint Eastwood in that he's like the character The Man With No Name. He isn't supposed to be a talker. He will only ever speak in quotes and briefly. What he brings is crazy action. But NOOOOOO lets write Franky as a big talker who won't shut up about his feelings.

Really? I'm cautiously optimistic since It's another Gotham based team and book so It'll have batcrap all over it.

Why the fuck was Frankenstein so inexplicably badass in this. Fucker nearly soloed the Sheeda. Is it something I'm missing

He was supposed to be badass before the New 52 writers turned him into a pussy.

All Frank ever does is whine about his "wife"

>Frank who was a quiet and deadly turned into a huge whiner who won't shut up about his wife
>SHADE that was supposed to be SHIELD but crazier and with monsters was turned into a generic shadowy and evil organization
>Ystin that was a cute tomboy in love with her knight was turned into a quipster transgender
>everyone simple doesn't show up anymore and that might be a saving grace

Bulleteer showing up ever again kinda defeats the point of her story too. Plus Klarion the Sheeda King went nowhere too right? Oh well. I'm used to Morrison stories being more or less self-contained.

>Bulleteer showing up ever again kinda defeats the point of her story too.
Well honestly her story defeats the point of her story.

Attached: RCO022 (1) (1).jpg (1041x1600, 392K)

Well this convinced me to give it a look.

I would love for a Frankenstein ongoing based on Morrison's actual character.

Because they're perfectly self contained stories. You could definitely tell different with these characters but you can't add anything to the seven soldiers.

Bulleteer and Zatanna are top tier sexy comics.

Who created SHADE, Morrison or Palmiotti & Gray?

Glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed with Demon Knight's portrayal of Ystin.

Attached: demonknights-05.jpg (630x556, 137K)

Oh for fuck's sake. Zee's story was nothing special, Frankenstein got a series in the Nu52, SSoV's Klarion is now the default comics Klarion, Shilo Norman was a pre-existing character and all the changes were to the other New Gods, no one cared about Manhattan Guardian, Shining Knight kept the outfit, and Bulleteer fundamentally precludes her use in other stories. Stuff from SSoV is used all the damn time, just not the entire thing. Also Cornell's Ystin (and on related not Winnick's Batwing) is better than Morrison's Ystina.

Alternately his reinventions and concepts aren't really workable in any context beyond the one he writes them in because he's a fairly self-indulgent writer especially as he's gotten older.

>Also Cornell's Ystin (and on related not Winnick's Batwing) is better than Morrison's Ystina.
Imagine having this much of a shitty taste.

>Zee's story was nothing special
I dare you to find me a better zatanna story.

Within the context of her other stories, it's not. Etta Candy got a bigger revamp in that story than Zee did.

Ystina had a character arc while Ystin doesn't even have a personality.

>Within the context of her other stories
This isn't about novelty but quality.

It's exactly high-tier, and one of the implications is that Zee indirectly killed a bunch of people.

"When will sempai notice me" followed by "oh no, sempai is dead, I must avenge him (by killing the same person I was already trying to kill)," isn't really a character arc.

>"When will sempai notice me" followed by "oh no, sempai is dead, I must avenge him (by killing the same person I was already trying to kill)," isn't really a character arc.
But working through survivor guilt and making a dedication to keep the chivalrous ideal alive is.

That was a couple pages in a single issue. In-universe she got over her survivor's guilt (despite having a literal embodiment of her guilt following her around telling her she's shit) in a couple hours at most.

Why the fuck did Ystina suddenly get a shirt btw. Thats the one thing I don't fucking understand

I disagree, though I'll concede that not many are up to the task of building on a Morrison creation.
For instance, The Super Young Team was amazing in their Final Crisis Aftermath mini.

That's a knight's arc. You'd probably find it rich enough if we were talking about a man.

It's better than the futa quipster with no character arc or personality other than jokes about being neither man or woman.

That's still a character arc amd more importantly that's still more than Cornell ever did with Ystin.

Attached: Demon Knight never even came close.jpg (1041x1600, 515K)

Paul Cornell ruined Ystina - now everyone only cares about her because she's supposed to be a transgender, ruined Madame Xanadu - now she's only ever used to be Jason Blood/Etrigan's cumdumpster, and ruined Jason Blood/Etrigan - now Jason Blood only appears to whine about Etrigan cucking him out of Madame Xanadu.

I fucking hate Demon Knights.

I can bullshit some reason she's wearing it, her shining golden armor would be a little conspicuous depending on how long she's stuck there.
Where it came from, I haven't a fucking clue, one page she's bashing in a nigger's head with a garbage can, the next she's wearing a XXL with some Chinese symbol on it.

Remember Adam one?

>That fucking buildup
>Frankenstein did more to screw over the Sheeda than Ystina
That was a mistake imo

Maybe it has something to do with that cloud golem?

Oh, yeah. Ruined Merlin too.

Ali Ka-Zoom gave it to her with magic.

Frank is a vehicle for God's wraith tho.

Nah, it dispersed behind the punk she was ready to cut open.
It was a manisfestation of her own self doubt besides, and never showed up again.
And she seems about as lost as we are, maybe Ali-Ka-Zoom is responsible, but he doesn't make any remark.

>I didn't actually read Demon Knights
I'm glad Morrison made things very obvious and had everything finished in a couple pages to fit your attention span.

>But you're just too stupid for Morrison!
Miss me with that when we've got smoothbrains like , , , and who can't even grok that the magical ghost who appeared to break Ystina out of her funk and plays a hand in the events of the comic is responsible for giving her a shirt.

>quoting half the thread
Yikes.

What's so great about Cornell's Ystin?

Morrison is a hack and they never met each other only for the time travel hack writing. Actually, it's not even a time travel, only barely implying something something's going on.
>Noooo I can't be sheeda queeeen
>*speaks backward*
>*Klarion laughs with 2D6*

Even when he creates characters, a lot of writers miss the point. Take Quire for example. When Morrison created the character, he was a weak chinned, chubby misogynist. There was nothing about Quire's design (Even his clothes were ugly) or attitude which was meant to be appealing in every way. In the text, Quire is explicitly compared to a skinhead. He was meant to rip into the "He was always a good kid" narrative and demonstrate how those kinds of kids were never 'good'.

Then when you got Aaron taking over the character, all that thought and examination were gone. What you were left with was this smirking, "punk" character who was everything that Morrison created Quire to say "Fuck you" to.

Rorschach is their hero

Quire cribs from a bunch of things in regards to his presentation, but you're completely off the mark regarding your interpretation. Quire is a phony, he can be explicitly compared to the mutant kid who used his powers to appear as a hot guy when he was actually this gremlin looking thing. The problem is that under both Morrison and Aaron he's a smirking punk shitbag, and Morrison having him deep down just trying to impress a girl doesn't change that fact and nothing that Aaron does is in conflict with Quire actually being some deeply insecure kid using arrogance and contrarianism to cover for it.

Also Quire sucks, even under Morrison the character is just shit, his entire character arc plays out across 2 days in-universe, and in the end it is revealed that Sublime was behind it all. There is nothing to say "fuck you" to because then concept is undermined.

Not really?

Quire was always a creep. That was textual. That was in New X-Men. The Cuckoos were always creeped out by him. Likewise, Quire in the book is treated by Morrison as a shitbag. Morrison never tries to excuse him in anyway.

You're absolutely right. In New X-Men, Quire is just shit... But Morrison always treats him like shit. Even his final appearance as a Phoenix Host, shows that Quire is still a petty dick not over that he was rejected.

Aaron got none of that. He didn't get that Quire was a piss take on the very archetype he was celebrating through Quire.