'member when cartoons were a half hour long like any other show on TV?

'member when cartoons were a half hour long like any other show on TV?
'member when the first season of a cartoon was 65 episodes?

Attached: artworks-000054457513-0rk491-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J9Q3i5w6-Ug
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I remember you’ve always been a pissy bitch. Does that count?

I remember when cartoon characters used to be on model. Sure, they would screw up colors at times, but the general proportions were correct.

What, you don't like characters having wildly different body proportions with each scene?

You have a poor memory

Attached: giphy.gif (298x229, 939K)

But that cartoon was shit even then. Also, while small, his arms, legs and body are still in proportion. It's not like DeeJay suddenly was drawn as a black E. Honda in one scene.

'member when cartoons were straight up fucking toy commercials?

The proportions are fine, but the perspective is fucked-up.

Those were better times.

>Those were better times.
Fuck no, those were shit times and not only because of the cartoons.

Why?

>those were shit times
These are shittier times.

>back then have enough budget for 20/25 min cartoon show with a detailed art style, but with either non-existant or shit writing or shitty animation
>now have budget for 11 or 15 min show with a simple art style yet still has terrible animation and writing
Besides the JUST, what excuses do modern writers and animators have for making such a bad product?

People like it anyway.

>Besides the JUST
What?

koreans got lazier but more people are watching.

I don't mind 24 episodes per season, but I miss 22minutes long episodes. Modern shows have no control of timing and pacing anymore, it's all crammed inside that 10 minute format and all stories are now paper thin because you literally can't talk about anything, instead your episode is filled with chitchat and resolve without action because action is too long. Not sure how long they expect to continue that trend, because they ran out of tropes and settings to show like a decade ago already

it's on model, but it seems the animator for Djay worked without the background to something

>instead your episode is filled with chitchat and resolve without action because action is too long.
I think you mean "expensive" action is too expensive.

It actually got harder for me to go back to 22min episodes after watching SU etc. for so long. I had to push myself to get into Tangled (which I'm glad I did since it's great).

I meant that with the current technology cartoons have much more potential than they had in the past century and yet it isn't fully utilised.

They were meant to sell toys

(You) (Cross-thread)
>80's cartoons were just cheap toy commercials
>still managed to be longer and have more consistent animation than current cartoons
>Steven Universe stays on the air despite being shit because of the merch sales
The absolute state of the american animation industry right now.

Attached: tumblr_inline_oayk0dvgiq1stzy7u_500.png (413x412, 132K)

That’s why we Believe In Steven.

>Steven Universe stays on the air despite being shit because of the merch sales
Damn, so exactly like most shonen anime? Rebecca must be happy, she has achieved her dream

Rebecca has done it...Steven Universe has finally become anime.

>'member when the first season of a cartoon was 65 episodes?

yeah, BUT the majority of those episodes were forgettable and/or shit
Let's look at He-Man. Out of the 65 episodes, how many would you guys call "good?" (relative to 80s standards, if nothing else)
Evilseed, a couple of Granamyr episodes, Teela's Quest, The Witch and the Warrior, House of Shokoti Pt2. Were there any others? Because off the top of my head those are the only ones I remember being good eps.

He-Man wasn't the only one. ThunderCats and Brave Starr come to mind.

And season 2 of Transformers

that's not a memory, it's a self-realization

catch that lil nigga

steven universe viewers confirmed for hyper active attention deficit retards

It's the times we live in unfortunately. The audience craves instant gratification. Time is money, at an all time high. Dozens of different media are competing for our time and attention.
It's easier for them to grab a 10-11 minute chunk from the audience's limited time than a 22-24 minute one.

im not that old, no.

That might be the case for cartoons, but most live action shows seem to be drifting in the other direction. I can't tell you how many live action shows seem to have a 40-50 minute runtime now. I think the assumption is that all kids basically have ADHD now.

Attached: D81BqUPV4AIbal8.png (480x349, 268K)

Damn, I didn't mean to post that pic again.

Ah, but cartoons are still "for kids" as in the newest generation, the ones who were born with an Iphone glued tot heir hand, while tv shows are marketed towards 80's/90s/early 2000's kids.

Tfw music videos have better animation than most actual cartoons these days.

youtube.com/watch?v=J9Q3i5w6-Ug

That's not really a fair comparison. Music videos and movies usually have higher quality than series.

Yeah but outside of them bringing in legends like James Baxter to animate half a minute's worth of frames once a season we don't get anything even close these days.

Attached: 1548130286368.webm (960x540, 3M)

You never got much close to that outside of TV movies back in the day either. Cartoon show budgets aren't much.

you mean 23-24 minutes long?

it's at a whole new level of bad with CN which is thinking Europe with having 11 minute episodes with intros and end credits attached to the beginning and end respectively of every 11 minute episode

ah yes, the standard length of an animated series: An inconsistent one if you ask me.
3 minutes
4 minutes (Crusader Rabbit and many early TV cartoons used this)
5 minutes
7 minutes (European shows loved doing this and I mean this with intros and end credits attached to each 7 minute episode)
11 minutes (Europe loved this too with the style of the 7 minutes one)
20-24 minutes (a legend)
27 minutes (one of the "Once Upon a Time" animated series from France did this IIRC)
30 minutes (one Gravity Falls episode did this as well as one Family Guy episode)
44 minutes (a rare one actually as only some animated series did this (outside of package shows that would still get internationally exported as separate shows)
66 minutes (mainly reserved for standalone TV movies)

88 minutes (a length used by Saturday morning package shows as well which also got internationally exported separately)
and anywhere in between 1 and 24 minutes would be segments in multi-segment episodes of shows

The Simpsons eventually got it's episode reduced to 20 minutes

Yes. Twice as long as what they are now.

65 episodes were needed for daily syndication.
That doesn't exist anymore as far as cartoons go.
The channels that used to show afternoon cartoons in the 80s are currently showing talk shows, news and old sitcoms.

As a whole He-Man and Filmaation were pretty bad in general.

>on model
Because they reused the same animations over and over again. Dialog scenes were still pictures with different mouth overlays.

>He-Man invented anime

Attached: 1563480111022.gif (498x379, 1.36M)

It all comes down to money, user

Gotta cram in as much commercials as possible. It’s also why you seldom see proper credits sequences anymore.

remember when cartoons were mostly filler and very low effort hanna barbera garbage was common