Age in cartoons

ever notice that cartoons never depict the behavior of school aged or younger children correctly? They almost always act much older than they should.
>Arthur
Arthur and friends are 8-9ish, but act as though they are closer to 13-15ish
and D.W. class are in pre-school, but act 8-9ish

>South Park
They act like late high school, early college

>TMNT
acted like toons more so than any age

>TMNT 2003
Are 16-17, but act like they are in their mid-twenties except Mikey

>TMNT 2012
Act like their age surprisingly

Rise of TMNT
Act early college age rather than supposedly 13

>Simpsons
Lisa acts like late highschool- mid college on an episode when on a tangent. Acts like 14-15 otherwise.
Bart and class act 14-15

The list goes on, no one seems to accurately potray the age group that the characters are intended to be.

Attached: download (3).jpg (625x350, 149K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/109310554/#109311591
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because realistic children are unpleasant to watch

ie, caillou

Because you always compain about it when they do.

See Okko.

your ideas of maturity at different ages are bafflingly wrong and you should feel wrong

a quartet of warriors raised by an asian martial arts master are going to seem more mature than some street thugs that went to an inner city public school. get a clue.

because you want t show kids, so the kids can relate to them, but you can't them act like kids because kids are stupid and not funny, user
they're not interesting and entertaining to watch

early south park was 100% elementary school-aged.

Nah, b.
Donetello is acting as mature as stockman in the 2003 iteration.

In the newest one, he doesn't act his age whatsoever despite training.

Also in the 2003 version in the flashbacks of when they were ten or so they acted like kids.

How far back are we talking?
Even in the movie the concepts of relationships elude children of that age group. Also no one was swearing and sneaking into movies at 10 idk man.

...they really were. 8-11 year olds are the ones all about sneaking into movies.

how? They had no money to get in.

they got creative.

then there's stuff in seasons 1-3 like hating baseball but being forced into it by parents, picking on one kid for no real reason, being gullible idiots...

but claiming girlfriends and cursing as much as they did ? I mean common.

That’s not true!

Angelica pooped her pants in Rugrats Go Wild at THREE years old!!!!

I doubt if I’ve ever done it since I was one like Tommy.

Attached: 22277E83-D16C-42FA-9A5F-306BD00167AD.png (711x486, 354K)

...did you not cuss up a storm and have at least one kid in your class with a 'girlfriend'?

She also did it in Clown Around and Party Animals. She even looks to be in diapers or training pants.

the fact that I had friends who always talked about South Park in elementary school basically confirms this.

>...did you not cuss up a storm
no... Up until, like 5th grade, people were like
"Ooooooh, you said a bad word"

no, girls were weird until 8th grade brah

Unbelievable or what???????

She also got it on her dress and lost her shoes.

But Angelitiki is “nobody’s lackey!”

Attached: 015A9226-E981-49CC-8ADE-32644706DA2E.png (965x482, 618K)

man, I had childish crushes as far back as second grade. I remember my foster mom gave me a bag of candy lego to hand out on valentine's day in third grade, and I gave my crush nothing but pink ones.

Clarence did a decent job.

She sure looks different in this picture with that nice little “slimy, squishy” mess in her pants, like she described the squid in her song.

Attached: 84F8C24C-577B-4063-A966-7A801DC90371.png (270x270, 122K)

That's pretty cute desu.

Compare these two different pictures of Angelitiki the Island Princess taken by Susie on the same day. In the former, she is telling the babies not to poop their diapers (no making smells). But by the latter she had made the biggest stink in the bathysphere, lol!

>omq magic turtles are gonna be MATURE!!

>Pictured: A difference of two years.

Attached: Don't even try.jpg (500x500, 95K)

yeah, that's fucked dude. There is no way in that's a two year difference

I think the Rugrats were amazing because each main child character did at least one poopie in their pants!!!!!!!

Dil — first movie, every other episode thereafter
Tommy — first birthday, little dude, daddy’s helpers
Phil & Lil — daddy’s helpers, many more
Kimi — daddy’s helpers, Finsterella
Chuckie — daddy’s helpers, curse of werewolf
Angelica — Party Animals, Clown Around, Rugrats Go Wild

We do not want to see Susie do it!

Also, inversely, ever notice how strangely childish adults and parents in particular act in cartoons?

Why does no one give a shït?

Attached: BF011264-E76D-4B71-9EB1-F1E3BC5D7A61.jpg (640x640, 67K)

Looks like Cynthia was covered in poop!

Autism.

>Also no one was swearing and sneaking into movies at 10 idk man.
I was exactly 10 years old when Bigger, Longer & Uncut came out and me and my friend tried to sneak in. The kids were always swearing because you just heard that from older kids/adults and when I told my "whore mom to go fuck herself" I was grounded for life.

The later South Park seasons are understandably more like high school kids because Matt and Trey grew up, but the early seasons were very much like life of elementary school kids in small town. It was common to smoke and get drunk for the first time when you were around 11-12 years old.

The most mature South Park kids have always been the ones who show some kind of empathy, because that is what real kids do lack. Otherwise they're little shits who do bad things.

If it’s about shït,
I never forget!

Sweetness and Lightning was here. You're an idiot.

...unless they’re so realistic that they shït their pants!

...unless they’re sooooooo realistic that they shït their diapers/pants!

(Assuming they’re not black, of course.)

It’s not as exciting to see an already brown a$s covered in shït as it is to see a white one.

I just love poop! Always have, always will! One of my favorite things to do as a little girl slightly older than Angelica was to put a brown bead necklace in my doll’s panties. She even had blonde pigtails like Angelica, so perhaps that’s why I love such episodes!

I said, “Mama, my doll pooped in her panties,” and she said, “Well, she must be constipated.”

My favorite color of play doh to make has always been brown. This can be achieved by mixing red with green, blue with orange, purple with yellow, or all three primary colors together.

I call it “poo doh” and like to feed it to a Baby Alive. I wish they made such a doll of each Rugrat— especially Angelica!

I wish I could be Drew in this picture.

Well, this is upsetting.

Caillou

>no one was swearing and at 10

???????? T. Never hung out with kids before you had no friends

Or Charlotte at this moment. Angelica would have looked soooooooo cute in a scene where she is in the bathroom floor being changed after this. Then they should have put her in the shower.

Upsetting because the thread's been derailed or because user's acting like a genuine basket case?

Imagine her being on the floor of a cruise bathroom with a towel under her. Imagine slowing removing her diaper (or cutting her panties with scissors) and using the front panel to scrape most of the mess off of her. Then destroying a white towel to clean her with soapy water so she can more easily be showered. Then putting her in some brand new clothes, making her wash her white sailor dress by hand during her shower as punishment.

Attached: 903AEDE5-6590-4344-9409-1433FDB5E7C2.jpg (640x640, 59K)

I always thought dipper was just a manlet. Which makes sense considering his personality (very manlet-esque)

You think everyone is male.

Hey what's going on in this threa-

Attached: Harry_car_crash.gif (474x345, 135K)

This happened with my sister almost every single day when she was eight and I was seventeen. Mom never wanted to bring her to a doctor and lived in denial that she could have encopresis.

It’s a fascinating medical condition wherein a child ignores the call of nature until it becomes impossible and does it in their pants frequently. That’s exactly what Angelica, or Angelitiki, did in Rugrats Go Wild. She hadn’t pooped since she left her house a day before and ate like a hog.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Attached: mods.jpg (663x800, 53K)

Hence the sneaking...?

Girls pooping their panties is very unusual and interesting.

Poop. Poop. Poop.

It’s a fascinating thing!

Especially since women have been said to never do it.

Why is anyone’s guess.

But we’re not mythical creatures without bodily function.

We also love fart and poop jokes just as much as guys — so long as it’s not about us in particular doing it!

Attached: C630A05E-278B-4654-8E2E-54915646E42B.gif (350x237, 941K)

As long as you make it about anyone besides us, we’re cool with it.

Stop replying to yourself you demented psycho

>in thrift store on Sunday
>girl about 7-8 is walking around carrying a large stack of cookbooks and saying cheerfully "I'm gonna learn how to cook!"
>her grandmother is like "Oh goodness no we're not getting those books."
And there you have it. IRL 8 year olds are nothing at all like Lisa Simpson. They don't sound like her or think like her or act like her.

What the fuck is going on in this thread?

Attached: 1564471666712.jpg (640x427, 74K)

Schizophrenia

A sad, sad man is trying to reach out for help

Rewatch early South Park and you can see they actually acted like children. A lot of their adventures or troubles involved their childhood innocence. Remember when they kept getting kicked out of stores because they needed an erection for Kyle’s dad? They thought it was something you bought. Cartman playing with the Antonio Banderas doll thinking it’s a toy

I'd argue the Simpsons never really had that after the first four or so Season 1 episodes. By Moaning Lisa, the idea of the kids acting like kids was already about dead.

I think only Bart remained a kid till at least the end of S2. By S3 he slowly became Homer’s sidekick

Can murrlogic come in here and fuck this guy up?

Not many adults call their fathers Daddy.

Attached: 37AF10F2-FCB6-4DD8-9451-62F21EFF8A2C.jpg (267x267, 43K)

Angelica being carried out of the circus because she shat herself.

Attached: 874A2C95-07DA-4AC4-A32D-3816B870F487.jpg (635x636, 96K)

fpbp

Caillou is the most realistic depiction of a toddler I've ever seen

Not you again.

It'd be harder to write coherent stories if kids actually acted like kids.

He seemed to be mentally mature for his age

This
I actually like the older South Park seasons because they actually act like kids

It’s weird thinking that Wendy and her friends were supposed to be around 15. They look more like college students than high schoolers.

It's more that Dipper and Mabel look like they're 7.
They're tiny as fuck.

>ever notice that cartoons aren't realistic

no shit?

Attached: 040117122925TSzzv8zk2p1gpmia.jpg (1002x1250, 658K)

It's the same reason why Misaka Mikoto is 14, despite acting like a fucking college student. Age is only used to make the character more relatable for the target audience, everything else is written however the author wants.
And grown-ups usually don't even remember how children see the world in general, so when push comes to shove, they have to guess.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 60K)

>girls were weird until 8th grade brah
What in the fuck?
Dude, I used to make towel tents and hide under them so I could make out with a girl at summer camp when we were both 6, where the fuck did you get that idea from?

Different children mature in different ways. For many characters it depends on the writer.

This was the defining feature of Beavis and Butt-head: Mike Judge is the only writer that knows that kids are pretty much idiots, and even the "smart" ones have intelligence but not wisdom.

(dammit, my only b&bh pic is from 2011 and /mlp/ related. why am i even on this hellsite. i need to get up and go to work)

>no one was swearing and sneaking into movies at 10 idk man.
when I was 10, swearing and sneaking into movies was kind of the only trouble me and my brother got into. and also software piracy.

I was pretty sheltered but still got into some shenanigans. I'd call BBSes with my modem and learn more swears than everyone else. When I read the word "dildo" for the first time I couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes and my mom came in and saw what I was reading in giant 40-column letters and took away my computer for a month.

growing up probably changed dramatically in the 1990s though.

Attached: compy_386_side_view.png (556x301, 13K)

the average kid is braindead until they become 12/13
before that we pretty much all acted like Calliou. Actual children are really wacky, impulsive and simple. If you want to see accurate children in cartoons watch all those toddler shows like franklin the turtle, calliou etc. where they only learn how to interact with the world

Why were my posts removed?

The older we get, the more we forget what we were like when we were kids. Ugly fact imo.

That's because there is no "correct" way to do it.

I liked Clarence.

>the average kid is braindead until they become 12/13
Actually at 12-13 they're still braindead as fuck.

Calvin and Hobbes probably did a better job than anything of balancing out the "Child character as the writer's mouthpiece" and "Child character acting like a child" traits.

Nobody in cartoons act like real people. Real people tend to be quiet, keep to themselves, act without thinking or intentions, sometimes screw up and say the wrong thing, and have no clue what anyone else is thinking. People in cartoons (and entertainment in general) express their insights and understandings, verbally if necessary. They'll either have a good grasp on the situation or the situation will intentionally be designed to show that they've misunderstood. They have a good idea of what other characters mean (except in misunderstanding) and address the topic directly. And they always say and do with intent, not stumbling around doing stupid shit or making a bunch of mistakes.

This is because it's fairly boring to watch somebody behave like a person. People don't want to watch somebody act in a confused manner and then attempt to guess and intuit what they are actually thinking after the fact. They have enough co-workers who already do that. They want to be able to see, understand, and emphasize with the character to get an understanding of why they are doing things. This is why characters behave so much not like people. People are confusing, and it's hard to understand why they are doing something. Characters are easy to understand, so the audience can follow what's going on and why. (and why it matters)

Child characters are much the same way. They don't act like children. More specifically, they act in ways that allow an audience to understand them and follow what they are doing. Nobody wants to watch a show of a bunch of toddlers acting like toddlers; they want the toddlers to act in a way that they can relate to. So you have toddlers who act like a group of grownups, not because that's realistic, but because that lets people relate to the characters.

There's also another aspect. Most cartoons with child protagonists are aimed at children. A lot of children want to be more mature than they are, or to appear more mature than they currently are. So they're going to prefer characters who look like how they want to appear: characters who are similar to themselves, but act or behave more mature. So you'll see teenagers who think and act and have responsibilities like adults, or pre-teens who have independence and freedom like teenagers, or grade school children who are able to do things on their own and aren't told want to do by everyone. Those are the characters most appealing to those age demographics, so it shouldn't be too surprising that those are the ones which end up most popular.

I'll also note that when half your examples involve mutant reptiles who lived in isolation for their entire lives not "acting their proper age", then you might want to reconsider the examples you are giving.

I think the problem is that a lot of writers are childless hipsters who don't understand how children operate. If you watch the Simpsons, you clearly notice how writers who are parents handle Bart and Lisa differently from ones who aren't.

South Park makes sense for the kids to act far beyond their actual age.

Personally I'd have used "All Grown Up" as an example. The kids are 10/11/12 years old or so, but they act well into the teen years, maybe mid- to late-high school.

We already established why that was. They planned originally for the kids to be high school aged in AGU (hence the name) but Nickelodeon rejected that idea because they were insistent that keeping the characters as middle schoolers was more relatable to the audience. Problem was, the Rugrats crew were dead-set on the kids being 16-18 instead of 10-13 so they wrote them as 18 year olds anyway.

I think having siblings growing up is a factor as well. Writers who were only children or didn't have siblings close in age growing up tend to have a harder time with this, especially in understanding how sibling dynamics work.

It's not uncommon to have crushes in grade school and even practice kissing. Curiosity about the opposite sex develops early on.

Not that that's a bad thing.

I doubt this. The original AGU episode was made for the tenth anniversary of Rugrats, and aged the kids ten years as a result.

For some reason I remember the original commercials.

TOMMY
WITH HAIR?!

CHUCKIE
WITH BRACES?!

These meager victim-sicles need the heat of my release.

Attached: frittata.jpg (1125x807, 168K)

What was that?

Not true! Most people who have shat their pants even once will remember the date like Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

Childhood and youth are actually the most memorable parts of the lifespan. Old people are more likely to forget their recent past than what they did when they were young.

Wait, why am I suddenly on /r/existentialism?

I've actually heard about that in some science studies. As in, people will more clearly remember what happened when they were young because it was a more distinct time in their lives. But it's harder to remember what you ate yesterday or ate last week because there were SO MANY last weeks in your adult life, and the longer it goes on the more it all blurs together. So people will typically remember their childhood and teen years well, will remember being a young adult fairly well, and the older years get vaguer and vaguer outside some very distinct, memorable moments.

It's why so many old folk get surprised when realizing just how long ago their childhood is. It doesn't seem much further away when you are 25 than when you are 40.

Whst the fuck was it?

You mean normie children

no faggot, I mean you

>Also in the 2003 version in the flashbacks of when they were ten or so they acted like kids.
yeah that's my fucking point
by the time they got to 15, they're adults
like any civilized people are. like everyone was before today.

JUST IMAGINE

this is bunk and easily refuted because most childhood memories are the more strong, distinct ones. nobody remembers boring stuff like shopping for groceries with your grandma or sitting doing homework after school.

This, if you want realistic children, just go out to a public store. It's helpful for reminding myself why I don't want children.

This. Adolecence is a fairly recent thing. Up to a bout a century ago once you went through puberty you were considered an adult and went to work.

That’s inconceivable.

one thing to watch out for is the age of 10 where they learn sarcasm.

I mean, they can parse sarcasm a little before then, in the same way that boys kind of know whether they like girls but don't know why. But there must be some kind of sarcasm hormone that goes off because all of fourth grade was all "Uh, DOY!!!" "So funny I forgot to laugh!" "hey, that shirt is SO COOL. Almost as cool as URKEL!" it got fucking weird

>youth is 70% of a person's life

I don't think this chart is accurate

>People don't want to watch somebody act in a confused manner and then attempt to guess and intuit what they are actually thinking after the fact
You just explained why Let's Plays always suck

When you're a kid and something clicks you just want to hit that novelty button over and over again, especially if it can increase social statuses that you are also learning.

are you talking about being a kid, or seeing memes on facebook?

The Caillou thing is a meme that’s run it’s course.

He’s not that bad.

>It's helpful for reminding myself why I don't want children.
I'm sorry your grandpa did those things with you when you were 6.

>no one was swearing at 10
How incredibly naive

To be fair, Wendy was kind of implied to be freakishly tall for a girl her age.
But yeah, Puberty must be ridiculous in Gravity Falls-verse. You literally gain 2-3 feet in the span of as many years.

I think that’s because half the time when Calvin is on a tangent and he seems to be the author’s mouthpiece for a moment, the last couple panels change the entire meaning of the tangent and show that it was really just Calvin rationalizing something incredibly childish.

>he doesn’t have a natural lifespan of 33 years
Look at this nerd living into middle age

Watterson explained this. He said many readers were puzzled by Calvin's florid vocabulary, but it helps to understand that most of the time he's using big words to describe what are ultimately stupid or childish ideas.

desuarchive.org/co/thread/109310554/#109311591
Just some autist samefagging about his scat fetish