3D animation is bad

>3D animation is bad
>One guy can do this with free software
>No keyframes

Attached: Imp9GofQnR5GGnOe.webm (984x708, 1.7M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0Q3WNbk0F9c?t=112
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Now do procedural animation on something bipedal and see how fucking retarded it looks walking around

>tfw want to make 3d models but i'm too brainlet to figure out blender

There's some weird shit going on with the legs at about 0:07
Anyways, the reason 3D animation gets so much hate from Yea Forums is less that it's bad and more that nobody cares. 3D turns are amazing when James Baxter does them, but the same can not be said for anything even surpassing Baxter if it's in 3D.
Nobody gave two shits about the animation in Ratatouille, the animation in Up, the animation in Toy Story 3, the only thing people care about nowadays in 3D movies is the detail and the effects.

Attached: Hayao-Miyazakis-thoughts-on-an-artificial-intelligence.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

I think the real issue is that Yea Forums is just more impressed by 2D animation because they know how much more effort it takes compared to 3D. Something like the highway man scene from Over the Garden Wall seemed impressive, but that kind of effect with 3D is really, really easy to do.

That's easy. Videogames have been doing this shit for ages now. You animate the walking with keyframes and use the inverse-kinematics to change the animation when the terrain changes shape.

Attached: EBbjosVU0AE9ayQ.png (785x422, 400K)

same

Attached: 1563766963762.gif (300x300, 2.13M)

It just feels more natural to be 2d and traditionally animated I guess? You don't have to use computers.
But you gotta use cameras

There's nothing wrong with using tools to create a superior product. The reason we always blow our loads over Spider-verse is that it shows in every single frame that they weren't phoning it in like most every other 3d movie.

And plenty of 3d movies have great animation. The hotel transylvania movies are shit, but they have great animation.

You can't possibly think this looks good enough to be in a feature film.

That's old technology.
youtu.be/0Q3WNbk0F9c?t=112

Skip to 1:50.

Don't be deliberately retarded. Look at any of the OK KO threads for an example of how the show can't stay on model from shot to shot or how they don't bother to give characters fingers half of the time.

Most software can animate 3D characters at least as well as in the OP. But it's not like you've got to choose between hand-animating all of it or having the computer do all of it. You can have most of it done with software, then have animators clean up any bits of the animation that look off.

This stuff is all done through computers now in both 2D and 3D but some of the tricks used in the days of cel animation are just endlessly fascinating to me. Massive multiplane cameras, transparent gels, using a light source behind the background/cels, etc.

Attached: great owl.png (640x480, 520K)

I wouldn't use OK KO as a watermark for anything. The show is deliberately slipshod.

Being deliberately crap isn't a good excuse for being crap.

just apply to bioware, say you're a feminist non-gender conforming human, then use the paycheck to take a modeling and animation class. if you're lucky you can be on a team like anthem's and just do nothing for like 7 years then put some garbage out at the last minute

This would be far more usual in a game, not a movie. Movies are animation, games are interaction.

After a 14-hour a day shift? What is he suppose to pay his rent with?

Who needs rent when you work 14 hours a day? Put your shit in storage. Work, sleep in your car, then when you wake-up it's time for work again.

Yea Forums doesn't know shit about animation thread #2405

What's your point? Games require animation just like videos. The only real difference is games need to work in real time, so the quality can't compete with things that can be rendered in advance, which is why CGI in cutscenes always looked better than the graphics in early 3D games.

The only advantage traditional animation has is that a lot more upfront effort is needed to make something 3D, so if a character or prop is only going to be used once it'd be easier just to do it in 2D. That's why Jojo doesn't use 3D in the OPs anymore.

>What's your point?
Games need animators and riggers with the talent of OP more than animation for movies, 2D or 3D. There's nothing OP did that would be usual to Pixar veterans or Disney 2D animators. It's completely useless

But for video games, it's a time saver. It's literally interaction that can be retooled into any useful application, like a collectible, or other NPCs, whatever. What's the point of having something that works in real time when CGI has to be rendered for hours on end? You'd need something that works for your vision, and that is needed for veteran artists, not computers doing all the work.

>The only real difference is games need to work in real time
Also not possible. At least not until quantum computing is widespread and accessible.

quantum computing has no practical use for this, stop pretending you aren't retarded while saying technologically illiterate bullshit, and it's literally already possible

>the last 30 years of gradual advances in 3D gaming didn't happen
oh fuck off

>usual to Pixar veterans or Disney 2D animators. It's completely useless
Pixar probably uses tech like this to some degree or another and 2D animation has nothing to do with this and you know it.

Do you not know a single fucking thing about videogames or 3D graphics? The visuals NEED to change in real time in order to to be interactive. A bunch of premade animations are used and often tweened on the fly based on context. Even back in '98 games had skeletal animation where a running animation could be mixed with an animation of the top half of the body holding a rifle and an animation of the top half of the body turning left, to produce an animation where the character is running forwards holding a rifle while looking and aiming to the left. That was more than 20 years ago and animation in real time has only gotten better.

3d animation isn't bad, it's that 3d animators are usually bad. You can make good 3d animation with solid application of animation principles, but 3d animators are usually trained more to use the technology than as artists.

And people with taste tend to prefer 2d, and everyone tends to only pay attention to the technical qualities of 3d rather than the animation quality.

>And people with taste tend to prefer 2d
That's a fancy way of saying "nostalgia goggles"

>everyone tends to only pay attention to the technical qualities of 3d rather than the animation quality.
See the bit about the highway man scene from Over the Garden Wall in

>Not even talking about otakus
>They got fuckig asshurted
>Even today you can feel their angry
Why is Miyazaki so fucking based?

>procedural animation
Never heard of that before. What's that?

Attached: Marcy.jpg (1032x1080, 216K)

He basically means what the lizard in the OP is doing. The lizard is moving entirely because of code, someone was moving the cube/pill around, and the lizard followed it without a single animation keyframe. The technical term is "inverse kinematics" (or forwards kinematics, I tend to forget which is which).

I prefer 2D animation since it's timeless, you can still watch animated movies from 50-60-70-80 years ago and still enjoying them today, sadly I can't say the same of CGI. Not complaning about CGI, tho, if it's well done, welp you can do amazing stuff like hate paths, into the spider verse, lego movie or waltz with bashir, but since the computer is the most important part of the CGI animation, you can save a lot of actual animation effort in it by reusing models, and so that the massive amount of generic cheap ass CGI movies out there.

As you say, people only cares about colouful shit, backgrounds and plot, ironically there's not a lot of people who really cares about animation in animated movies

its the way octodad and totally accurate battlegrounds work

i'm reminded of the engine rockstar uses for their games where the natural animation of walking around and interacting with other people looks natural as fuck, yet the cutscenes they manually animate are stilted as fuck

That's Euphoria for you. You can get a free version of it that's pretty fun to mess around with

Name one game engine that does this. I'll wait, game designer.

>quantum computing has no practical use for this,
Prove it

>Do you not know a single fucking thing about videogames or 3D graphics?
Do you? Raytracing is not an end all be all point where millions of objects on screen can run without lagging, case in point. There's no game that just works in "real time" because it's due to how powerful the hardware can calculate what's going on fast enough, which it still fucking can't.

Again. Name one game that looks like a CGI movie in real time, no ifs, ands or buts.

cause japs cant even do cgi STILLS correctly so jumping the gun that far its pretty insulting and perfectly sums up whats wrong with that entire medium.

I sure want a cartoon about a shitty PS3 model lizard looking at your dick in an empty grid. wow.
This place is really just Yea Forums light for the faggots that can survive the real board holy shit

Stop deliberately misinterpreting what was meant by "real time". I already said that games need to have graphics rendered in real time unlike movies, which is why in-game graphics can't look as good as prerendered cutscenes. The point I was making was that the same animation techniques used in games could just as easily be used in movies, not that games can be made to look just as good as movies.

Get some reading comprehension you fucking retard.

preocedural anything = it's not in the memory, it's computed at each frame using using a set of data and maths.
Ironically most flash animation is procedural (shapes and vectors are only defined by a small amount of data, and are moved using basic maths functions) so people who will use it there to look savant are actually just eating their own shit in public

Well clearly normies and majority of people absolutely love 3DCG and photorealistic stuff so is it really such a bad thing that a niche board like this despises it? It's comic and cartoons for a reason.

Plenty of other games use them too. Most games use them to make skeletal animations adapt to an environment, rather than using them to completely control the animation.

Oldest example off the top of my head is Half-Life 2 had ordinary walking animations, but the feet were always pulled down to touch the ground, so the same animation was used for walking up or down stairs as for walking on flat ground. Without the inverse kinematics one foot would float in the air over the stairs and the other would clip through the ground as if the character were standing on an invisible flat plane in the middle of the stairs. And that was in 2004.

>3DCG and photorealistic stuff
>implying 3D needs to look either photorealistic or like Disney/Pixar as if no other art style can be done with 3D

Attached: 1d1.jpg (749x424, 30K)

Well that's where it's heading judging by the popularity of TLK 2019

Says the faggot posting a VIDEOGAME, not something from of a cartoon or a movie

You can make cartoons with videogames. The term "machinima" has been around for a long time now.

Attached: 1546145316664.jpg (468x357, 22K)

Yeah, today I watched the good dinosaur, and it's fucking mediocre, but the backgrounds were pretty realistic, too realistic in my opinion. The backgrounds and the character design did a bad contrast.

Read again that user's post. He's saying people overglorifying photorealistic CGI is a bad thing and I second that opinion.

Attached: 220px-The_Good_Dinosaur_poster.jpg (220x325, 24K)

Do Warcraft 3 cinematics counts as machinimas?

it remind me Petz!

Attached: 817406-dogz-ii-your-virtual-petz-windows-screenshot-this-is-the-range.png (800x600, 477K)

I think those qualify as cutscenes, not machinima. machinima tends to be based in gameplay, rather than planned animation.

Freeman's mind would probably count more as machinima than the civil protection shorts

Play rainworld.

No, those graphics were prerendered and probably done with a different engine. But Yea Forums is loaded with the faggiest 2D animation purists under the sun, so I'm sure someone will be willing to go through the mental gymnastics needed to say Beast Wars wasn't really a cartoon. Or if they're willing to admit that it is a cartoon they'll turn a blind eye to the idea that a 3D cartoon could be made today that looks better than a lot of the crap that we've been getting that's 2D.

I know some people were gushing over how smooth the animation in hotdiggedydemon's "Sonic Movie Fix" video was then piped the fuck up when they found that he used a 3D model to keep his head on model.

The thing I keep saying that nobody seems to pay any fucking attention to is that the biggest complaint everyone seems to have with new cartoons is how plain and lacking in detail character designs are. The more details you add, the trickier it is to animated in 2D, so there's incentive to be plain because it's easier on the budget. With 3D animation this isn't an issue at all, once you add a detail onto a character no extra effort is needed aside from fixing any clipping issues it might cause, and if you do that right once you'll never need to do it again.

Attached: Hewl-Tanky.jpg (660x673, 199K)

The animation is meh as you can see. The gecko doesn't have any complex expressions and body language full of personality. I'd like to see this in Toonboom though.

It can be good for crappy sitcom and slice of life shows where the characters don't do anything, but you could hire Phillipines and Vietnamese to do these boring animations for almost the same cost.

how's your game going, weaver?