So did Small Soldiers utterly destroy G.I. Joe as a franchise?

So did Small Soldiers utterly destroy G.I. Joe as a franchise?
Seems to struggling to find a market after it came out while was popular before it.

Attached: 320x0w.jpg (320x480, 46K)

All I know is that the toys for this movie were expensive and and the small GI joes were much cheaper.

The theories I've heard is the various middle eastern endless wars the USA is in has dampened enthusiasm for military toys

No. GI Joe just ran its course and the glorifying military for kids shit made people uncomfortable after the 80's. Small Soldiers had nothing to do with it.

No one gave the least bit of a fuck about GI Joe when this movie came out

i loved small soldiers but i pretty sure most people dont even remember it,so no, i dont think it had any kind of impact of any kind

War toys were cool in the 50's and 80's because America wasn't at war. War toys were not cool in the 60's, 70's, 90's and post-9/11 because Nam, Desert Storm and Afghanistan and Iraq.

but,there was a war in 50,the korean war

It seems like Small Soldiers is one of those titles most people recognize, so it's kinda too bad they didn't do anything more with it.

I know Chip Hazard was kind of a one-note character, but he was hilarious and I would've enjoyed seeing more hijinks with him and pals.

Everyone forgets the Korean war.

I think World War II was my favorite war.

"Police Action"

Clearly show the neighbor is an asshole
Surrender the Gorgonites
Casually comments on war as a person who never served
Both him and his wife are incapacitated by sleeping pills. Drive the point further by the kids just assuming they "over did it" again

This movie was too fucking good.

Small Soldiers was 1998. Hasbro had by this point given up on new versions of GI Joe, like Sgt Savage or GI Joe Extreme, and was focusing on 12-inch toys for older collectors, and were just starting to re-release 1980s toys aimed at collectors as well.

In 2002, GI Joe got a full scale relaunch, followed by Sigma 6, then the 25th anniversary toys. Despite the narrative, GI Joe was a healthy franchise in the 2000s and early 2010s. GI Joe Retaliation getting pushed back from the summer of 2012 to early 2013 was the main thing to kill the toys, and the long delay in developing a sequel has led to Hasbro focusing on bigger brands like Transformers, Star Wars and Marvel, although it's possible they do have political reasons for not wanting to make military toys.

When I saw Avatar in theaters I found the badguy oddly familiar, then it hit me he was a human version or Chip Hazard.

Attached: 2d70c18f6d29039c4745df5722d06da5[1].jpg (1250x1600, 185K)

That's a good point. Also I got to wonder with Major Chip Hazard loyalty and the military using drones and bomb disposal robots would the military be that oppose to using the Commando Elite?

Small solders two: troubles in the middle east would have been awesome.

Poor Nick Nitro

Took one for the team. You know those Barbies where giving comando elite plenty of "shore leave" when Chip Hazard wasn't looking.

Attached: DimwittedSparseIndiancow-small.gif (589x250, 1.18M)

>When I saw Avatar in theaters I found the badguy oddly familiar
>Avatar
>badguy
>posts the hero of Avatar
user what are you doing?

You put MICROCHIPS in the TOYS?!?!?

GIZMO

Would you fuck an army of hot chicks if they had the mind of your dead comrade?

Small Soldiers. That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time

They don't have his mind, the chip generates a different personality depending on what body it's put in. All the toys have exactly the same chip, so if the chip contained their mind they'd all be the same.

The only thing I care to remember about this movie.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-08-13-03h11m00s229.jpg (1920x816, 605K)

The movie mentioned it before. The chip takes the original programming and advances it with artificial intelligence.

The soldiers were the best damn thing about the movie.

If it had been up to me, I could have made the film all about them and make it a satire on violent toys and the toy industry in general.

Attached: 872A3DC5-069E-4E51-AF1A-0BD2EC08F038.jpg (1420x799, 397K)

That scene was hot Retal, but let's not take away from the electric skateboard chainsaw.

Attached: 20170320_142844-1-1-1024x676.jpg (1024x676, 114K)

It’s
>You put MUNITION chips in TOYS?!?!?

You now remember this was Phil Hartman’s final acting role ever.

He did a good fucking job too

So where did the Gwendy dolls get their programming?

Small soldiers was the shit and all who don’t like it are straight cunts

That is a big Plot hole.

But I'll do some Headcanon. Each Gwendy unit was program by a commando (you choose) with the info from the back of their respective box's but tweaked to meet the commando's purpose.

This is the man that should’ve played cable and not Brolin

I agree.

>The special effects for this movie not only hold up but blow modern CGI toys like the ones from Welcome to Marwen out the water

The scariest shit for me as a kid.

I threw away my older brother's action dolls cause I was so freaked out and had nightmares.

Attached: 1560928306758.png (500x500, 165K)

That's a dick move. I still have anger memories of little cousins breaking my toys.

Small Soldiers and GI Joe have are completely unrelated. Is this an autism symptom or something? This thread is bizarre

I remember Kirsten Dunst

Stopping communism is a little different than protecting Israeli interests vicariously

I don't know if it's true, but I heard at one point that this was the only toyline where the bad guy sold better than the good guys, probably because the bad guys are kickass military dudes and the good guys are ugly stupid monsters who are also giant pussies.

They throw out lines like "don't call it violence call it action, call it action. Kid's love action"

I so would have picked the monsters, and technically the Commandos were supposed to be the good guys

I remember Sigma Six downplayed the military aspect about as much as you reasonably could with GI Joe.

The film was originally supposed to be a lot darker and edgier and aimed at a teen/young adult audience, but studio executives saw marketing potential that the toyline presented and made them tone it down considerably when the sponsors came calling. It's partly the reason why the film veers constantly between being clearly oriented for kids and pretty child unfriendly shit like Nitro getting horrifically maimed in a garbage disposal, the shit with the Gwendy dolls, and stuff like the protagonist getting his leg all shot up with corn skewers by the commandos during the finale.

I'm sure it's completely unrelated. From what I remember the anti-war point of small soldiers went over kids' heads and they still thought the soldiers were cool. Was it even that popular a movie anyway?

I remember the main brown monster guy had a string+crossbow. I always liked toys like that. It's why Jango Fett was my favorite toy ever as a kid

It was one of my top childhood movies and I was gorgonites the way.

It made almost twice its budget but it wasn't enough to get its own franchise like MIB or the 98 Godzilla movie.

It kind of was.

Ironically, the Commando Elite were supposed to be the heroes of the toy franchise, and the Gorgonites were supposed to be the villains. But when the monsters turn out to be pacifists and the soldiers obssessive with victory, the lines of good and evil switch.

Truth be told, I would have liked to see an animated series protagonized by these characters. Only, the Commando Elite should be focused into a really dangerous enemy.

I'm watching this on Netflix I hope your happy!!

From that one destroyed Soldier Chip Hazard opened the head of to take out the chip.

If I remember he modified the dolls, then hooked them all up to a rigged machine that he plugged the guys chip into which somehow spread the chips program to all of the doll army in a smaller burst, which is why they still have Valley girl personalities, just also violent and wanting to help the soldiers.

I'm pretty sure this isn't how microchips work in real life, but it's a movie.

No, I get that he used Nick Nitro's chip to mass produce more chips for the Gwendys

But the Gwendys didn't have their own programming before that, so why wouldn't they all just have Nick Nitro's personality?

the kirsten dunst scene utterly destroyed my dick and rewired my young mind to become aroused now whenever I hear "communication breakdown" by... led zepplin?

Everyone in the 50’s grew up with their WW2 parents whipping with a belt telling them to respecf them because they were a war hero so they all were into military toys anyways

>that implication at the end of the movie about the CEO selling the Commando Elite toys to south American guerrilla fighters
where the FUCK is my movie about the commando elite operating in columbia against drug lords and military dictators?!?!?

Still hasn't had a BD release outside Germany.

They are completely unrelated man.
G.I. Joe became less popular as other things took over then just never managed to find a foothold again.
I never really met anybody who bought the military dudes over the badass looking monster guys.
I had a little of both though.

>I never really met anybody who bought the military dudes over the badass looking monster guys.
I think I had all of the Gorgonites, but not a single military guy. They never interested me.

Pretty sure all I had were Goronites and a battle damaged Chip.

Vietnam was a "police action" but you'll never catch someone calling it that instead of a war

God I loved Small Soldiers.

This movie made me turned on when I was a kid
You know, that scene

Call of Duty and Fortnite overshadowed any attempt of the GI Joes to gain any form of relevance ever again.