What was the point of this?

What was the point of this?
Out-dated boomer jokes about smartphones? Smartphone sales have been going down over the past 3 years with consumers upgrading less frequently.
Redundant Starbucks?
Simpsons made that joke in 1998.
All these jokes are horribly out of touch, they practically redid Slurm from futurama too.
Then they added the Rachel trans plot for no reason and it goes no where.
His dad doesn't accept him and then he does.
And Rocko doesn't accept the new cartoon but then he does.
How did the conflict and resolution feel so rushed when it's over 40 minutes long?

tl,dr They better not fuck up the Aaahh!!! Real Monsters reboot.

Attached: 1552978227050.jpg (1500x844, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LAEg7oky2Ck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What was the point of this?
Tranny pandering.

Attached: 1539116189842.jpg (500x464, 28K)

The way Philbert and Heffer giggle like retarded children implies the staff are throwing in all the dumb jokes about modern times just for shits and giggles. I agree that these are tired and somewhat pointless gags, but it's like they're getting it out of their system so they can move on.

Keep in mind Nick has been sitting on this special for two years.

watching it right now blind aside from the tranny Ralph
voice acting is pretty good but the jokes and gags are all recycled and some without any context to back them so they're just awkwardly there
>tfw could have worked on this show as a storyboard artist

>calling "Chewy Chicken" the original name "Chokey Chicken", which was censored in the past
intredasting

>Rocko doesn't accept the new cartoon and then he does.
Rocko doesn't LIKE the new cartoon. But he stops having a "NOT MUH FATHEADS" freakout. He doesn't have to like new fatheads. He realizes he has friends and relationships and the ill-gotten gains of a recently redistributed tycoon class falling from the sky to occupy his days.

I'm 90% sure this is satire since even the story's plot is recycled

It felt more like anachronism, they're using cell phones and livestreaming but they're actually outside and people are interacting like they did in the 90s.

It felt like a merging of timelines as opposed to treating them separately, which I guess fits the theme of embrace the past but accept the future

But these jokes were old years ago, the Simpsons made a Starbucks joke literally decades ago and this is basic bottom tier humor, like someone wrote these jokes years ago and they got pulled out of a drawer.

>WHY DON'T YOU GO BACK TO THE 90S WHERE YOU BELONG
actually made me laugh

My theory is that it's a sizzle reel they can show to old dumbass boomer executives for funding without showing them any of the -actual- product they wanted to put out. It was the worst part of the special.

Ummm. They're from the 90's? And smart phones, which still exist today, did not exist in the 90's?

Holy shit you guys are stupid and reaching for any and all straws to bash on this special.

literally every shot is a gag from the OG show and 95% of the animation is recycled

>Smartphone sales have been going down over the past 3 years with consumers upgrading less frequently.

Just because your parents don’t wanna buy you a phone doesn’t mean the market is dead

>the whole special is literally Joe Murray saying "Let it go, you fucking nostalgic 90s boomers"

The moral of the story is that people will put up with your insane bullshit if you make them rich.

>What was the point of this?

Joe Murray is a washed-up has-been who did exactly two things anyone remembers, so he thought he'd make a comeback by making dated jokes and having a fedora-tier message about nostalgia and change delivered to an audience that just thought this would be more Rocko's Modern Life.

No one asked for this. No one thought Rocko's Modern Life was such a great cartoon that it needed to make a comeback in 2019. Nick thought they could make a quick buck off of nostalgia, realized Spongebob fans are their only audience, then sold it off to the dickheads who were only interested in bragging about how it has Tranny Pepe. It was a waste of time and money for everyone involved and it's going to be forgotten in a week.

He could have just said that and not made the special.

Chances are - like other has-beens - he's been working in the background of a lot of shows and getting every new thing he pitches to networks declined. He prob got a decent paycheck for corralling a crew of interns to copy/trace old frames from the original cartoon with minimal effort and recycle jokes. Why not tell them to fuck off?

>No one thought Rocko's Modern Life was such a great cartoon that it needed to make a comeback in 2019.
This really stuck out to me in the special. The Fatheads is an analogy for original Rocko and is set to generate enough money to save O-Town with a special. Rocko was good, but never the number one show on Nick, just a component of their overall strong roster of shows.

>MFW I realize how brilliant this actually is

Attached: holy crackers.jpg (250x250, 16K)

>MY OPINION IS A FACT
its a media product user, it doesnt need a reason to exist besides provide entertainment, I know you are angry, angry about trannies but do try to think of things outside your personal box
And remember, just because you believe you have rational reasons to dislike something your perspective does not wrap the entire human experience, just yours

You need to take the MODERN part of Rocko's MODERN Life into consideration. This is one of the many things I strongly disagree with you ignorant people who nitpicks on one thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=LAEg7oky2Ck

BTW, no one's gonna get that Starbucks reference in a 1998 episode from The Simpsons.

you are reading too hard into it.

if that's hard for you to glean, maybe you should gb2school

you are reading WAY too hard than needed, missing the entire point of the analogy because its too subtle for your brain.

>reading too hard into something
>missing a subtle narrative
Well, which is it?

It was from a time when a 2G digital cell phone was a novelty not unlike the 5G nowadays. And they were for the very geeky and the very rich

>yfw this is Joe Murray's "Mayonnaise on Screen for 3 Hours"
based Murray

Modern or not, a crap show is a crap show

you're just salty that they had the audacity to positively portray a side character as trans while making fun of your nostalgia attachment. sure some of the modern jokes in the beginning have been done before in concept, but it was fresh take with different gags and pace to make it distinctly rocko. his dad reconciles after watching the cartoon and realizing rachael is still his child even if she's not his son anymore, and that the changes in the present and future don't change the meaningful things that happened in the past. rocko quickly gives in to the changes in the cartoon because after looking at the crowd and hearing mr. bighead's changed perspective, he realizes his friend's happiness is more important than a cartoon. the way he said "i guess change is good" passively kind of implied he still wasn't happy with the baby in the cartoon, but he gives anyway in out of convenience and because rocko is a pushover.
it was overall a well written, nicely crafted revival. it was a respectful homage to the original show, not amazing but great enough for a something that hasn't been touched in 20 years and will likely never be touched ever again. any other 90s show getting a similar reboot would be lucky to have the same if not greater quality treatment as static cling.

>getting angry about a joke in a children's cartoon
Bro just close your eyes LMAO

I AM THE TRANNY

I AM THE BEST PART OF THE SHOW

I AM BETTER THAN THE HEFFER, THE TURTLE, AND THE BUNNY

Now THAT would have been comedy.

Pretty much this

There are two big flaws in your argument.

The Fatheads special uses 1:1 dialogue from Ralph’s childhood, a happy memory he shares with his parents. He uses nostalgia to connect with Ed, rather than address his current situation of having transitioned. In this case the message is to ignore the uncomfortable present reality and focus on the past. But then the audience is lectured about accepting that things won’t stay the same and that you have to accept that or you won’t be happy. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

In the original series, Rocko could be pushed, but would eventually fight back to the point of asserting dominance. We see it when he speaks up for Mrs. Bighead after Ed disrespect her, when Filburt tries to charge him $150 for groceries, when his boss tells him to fire Filburt from the comic store, when Ed tells him he’s going to have his house condemned. It’s out of character for Rocko to completely roll over.

Just as a person can see patterns where they don't exist because they want to see them, a person can also fail to see something right under their noses by looking much, much too close at one thing.

Ok, what was the message I’m missing?

not the dude your talking to but joe has a pbs kids show called let's go luna, just fyi.

Attached: letsgoluna.jpg (1200x675, 258K)

Not really sure what's so infuriating about this unless you're one of those people who's really autistic about modern technology.

They've been in space for 20 years, all this shit is new to him.

nigga that's kawaii

it's nick. channel has been shit and faggy since 2000. don't expect them not to fuck anything and everything up

this. even though the jokes would have still been done to death by then, I can cut them a little bit of slack for that

Seething

Not them but all the moments you listed where rocko decided lost his cool with someone were usually when he had officially had enough of the shit he had to deal with.
Rocko in the actual series generally attempted to avoid conflict whenever possible.

>Then they added the Rachel trans plot for no reason and it goes no where.
It's a complete arc, where else could it have gone?

The initial trailer did remind me of Modern Simpsons, but I could forgive it because:
A) We hadn’t seen these characters in decades, while the Simpson family ran themselves into the ground during that time
B) MS points out jokes, but doesn’t really do anything with them, while Static Cling at least still tried to be satirical
C) The trailer-turned-beginning montage does serve a point of showing Rocko’s rising culture shock. But when Homer get iPad, it’s just dull and boring, because we’ve got 15 or so other seasons of that exact plot.

Attached: 4E141D8D-62D7-4CBA-8219-41FCEC5342E8.jpg (1912x1072, 187K)

Attached: Ds3SuZ6U0AAAHfs.jpg (640x372, 33K)

>it's going to be forgotten in a week.
Yes, I totally believe that by next weekend Yea Forums will no longer be filled with autistic screeching about about it.

Never owned an IPhone, all looks the same thing to me.