Hackman caught plagiarizing

The House of Stolen Ideas attacks again

bleedingcool.com/2019/08/10/house-of-x-2-vs-first-fifteen-lives-of-harry-august-claire-north-spoilers/

Attached: Screenshot_20190810-142213.png (720x1280, 355K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melancholy_Elephants
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Webb
writersdigest.com/online-editor/can-you-copyright-an-idea
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck off Rich

not really surprising, Hickman's never had an original thought in his life

i know right, it's like two shitty things combined into a new, even shittier thing

>April 2014

>horror stories have been doing this shit since forever.

>I'm a author i used that's been around forever so it's mine i'll sue.

Hickman is hack and even don't know what omega lvl means, also this back in time power is fucking pointless.

Hickman responded

>Well, this is unfortunate. The times this has happened to me, Pax Romana probably being the most prominent, it’s impossible not to feel like someone is trying to steal your kid, so I sympathize with Ms. North’s reaction.

>Let me just say that I absolutely have read Harry August and think it’s wonderful, but I completely disagree with any idea that the narratives are similar.

>In regards to resurrection/reincarnation stories, I’d argue that, in terms of story, style and stakes, this is much more in line with something like Live Die Repeat than Harry August. The thing that it absolutely does have in common — and where the comparison is both accurate and fair — is that it repeats a lifetime instead of just a short period of time, but even that’s something that Replay did thirty years ago.

>These are all just plot devices to tell a particular story. And while I hate to say this now as we’re only three issues into a twelve issue story, what we’re doing in the X-books isn’t a story about reincarnation. That’s just a plot device we stuck in there to make the first act retcon go down easier. When this is done, it’ll be very obvious to anyone who reads both that the two aren’t the same.

>I would, however, tell everyone to go read Harry August if you haven’t. It’s about a rivalry between two men that goes on for several lifetimes against a backdrop of a secret society of people who reincarnate. Everyone should read it.

i think he's right btw

he is. or did harry potter rip off the look of tim hunter and the story of books of magic.

people are stupid and think that they can take an idea like a dude who reincarnates write a story with it and everyone else is fucking banned from using the very idea.

Fuck off poor.

Based Hickman

Hackman

Imagine not getting hired by a real company in 10 years

Sounds like Harry August ripped off Wheel of Time to be honest

I didn't know an author named Claire North filed a copyright for the concept of reincarnation. I thought the Buddhists and Hindus had joint ownership on the distribution rights to it.

Of course he's right. The tweet from OP is just more SJW whining. Reliving yourself over and over again is not a new narrative device at all.

>O-Oh, a chance to make some money from a lawsuit? Thanks!
How pathetic

this isnt an original idea, i used to read those weird scifi books from the 50's that had like 15 different short stories in them, and there was one about a guy who had 9 lives like a cat and everytime he changed shit up a little bit also

she didn't invent this particular hacky pot device

how can one man be so based?

Did Harry August spend one of his lives as concubine to Apocalypse?

Based

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melancholy_Elephants

Mark twayin supposedly said the last person with an original idea was Adam. I've read the Claire North book, it was in the top at books I read that year. Harry August wasn't limited to 10 reincarnations, and person could kill him before he was born. Hickman is just using the Reincarnation trope that many others have used. Steven Brust's Vlad Taltis also comes to mind.
Trolls go back to your bridge.

tell that to the author
lol.

The author is going off information by her twitter followers

And he said it himself, this is much closer to Edge of Tomorrow then anything else (it's the first thing I think of), since she's stuck in that loop unless something radical happens, which is precisely what Destiny warned about, the 10 or 11 lives.

Does The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August involve a school of kids too or mutants?
Otherwise its a plot device you cant copyright.

I dunno how to break this to them but their idea wasn't exactly original to begin with. It's a device that has been used plenty of times in the past, and has various permutations which are arguably even more common, such as Groundhog Day-esque devices.

I agree. Hickman can be called uncreative if the book is recently published, but plagiarizing would mean whole setting and plotparts.
Inventing Twitter and Facebook was wrong, too many dumb people find another and come up with dumb opinions.

To be honest this is easily dismissable because I'm sure the author acknowledges the idea isn't at all new (how could she not?), It's those on Twitter who love to instigate shit and often try to pin blame upon big companies for stuff they don't have control over.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Webb

>Catherine Webb (born 1986) is a British author who is a snob and erroneously thinks that her ideas are so unique that she can unfairly blame actual good books of plagiarism and she is educated at the Godolphin and Latymer School, London, and the London School of Economics.

Ok which one of you guys did that? lol

Hahaha, shitheads.

Lmao, that’s petty and childish as hell but funny

X-fags are amusing if nothing else

>mcucks will defend this

On the surface it looks bad because Hickman is on record admitting that he read her book. But Hickman has state that the reincarnated part is only a small part of the X-men reboot and since it has already been published and distributed marvel can't recall those issues back even if she did had a case against him.

Maybe this can be resolved by giving her a writing credit and hopefully not delaying or cancelling Hickman's X-men.

This doesn’t need to be resolved as there isn’t a case to begin with. Ideas and premises cannot be copyrighted

So, I guess OP is just a bleedingshill.

Yea. Great news. i just saw this link on cbr boards.
Q: I have a fantastic idea for a book. I’m unclear on copyright rules and I want to protect my idea from someone else copying it. What steps should a person take in order to protect an idea until it comes into print? –Brian

A: I hate to break the bad news, but you can’t copyright an idea. Nobody can. Section 102(b) of the Copyright Act specifically states: “In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated or embodied in such work

writersdigest.com/online-editor/can-you-copyright-an-idea

But this still might be a gray cloud for the hardcover sales. maybe Marvel should give her something to resolve the issue.

I guess reincarnation is the whole original idea of one woman...except it's not original AT ALL.

can I sue Hackman for thoughtcrime? My OC had Moiras powers except on a multiversal scale

Hickman literally told people to buy her book. I don’t think they even need to do much else, even doing that isn’t necessary

Hickman fans got to the wiki.
But seriously imagine thinking your fucking 2014 story invented reincarnation stories. What a dumb bitch.

Attached: c9f3c2923522bdea1cea654e6a770977[1].png (1139x447, 96K)

lel it's still up

>maybe Marvel should give her something to resolve the issue.
Why? She didn't invent the idea.

Based X-Fags.
Based Chartman dabbing on roasties.

Attached: 480BA039-B583-4C90-B5F2-A5C7F35AF68B.png (324x447, 222K)

bravo hackman

Attached: 1560392467553.jpg (972x511, 153K)

Hickman? More like BASEDman.

>or did harry potter rip off the look of tim hunter and the story of books of magic.
why do you think WB got the rights for the film adaptations?

>did harry potter rip off the look of tim hunter and the story of books of magic.
Yes?

Wow, that's a sane, professional response. GOod for him.

>Edge of Tomorrow
I think you mean All You Need Is Kill.

No one cares, weeb.

How can this Keith guy be SO dumb?
WHO was possibly reading this issue and thinking 'Woah, that's an idea I've never seen done before!' ?

I'm astounished North actually sees this as plagiarizing. I thought she was better than that

Based Hickman. Normies don't understand writing, being boring dulls your creative sense.

Is the first half retcon referring to just Moira's powers? Or is it hinting at the hole "Moira's 6th life was 616" thing?

He probably didn't actually read it and just watched the IGN video

>Women claim what she does is unique.
News as 12!

Polite, reasonable responses like this go against the grain of the modern internet. Bravo Hickman.

It's also a proper response through the regular channels (a concise statement) instead of Twitter where people are prone to dogpiling and quote-tweeting stuff out of context to make themselves look better.
I still don't think this was the author's fault though, it was more like other people assuming she'd sue.

that hasn't been proven. rumored but not proven

Reincarnation stories like Harry August is ripped off of your token isekai series. Honestly not even that original.

Why would Disney/Marvel do this? She didn't invent the reincarnation theme. Nor did she invent the time loop theme. Those themes have been established way before she was even born. Disney/Marvel settling would only open the flood gate for other people to sue. Especially those people that created fan-art of a Spider-Gwen, a black Spider-man and etc before she was officially introduced into the comics.

>mansplaining

Oh, PLEASE, the reincarnation stuff isn't the most interesting part about all this.

The interesting bit is where this is going, all that stuff was just fucking backstory and it was all told in just a single issue.

So what you’re saying is they both ripped off from the most popular and well known story of fiction throughout the world: The Bible. Right?

The bible is a ripoff of some local folktale told by some farmer.

Attached: rocket vacation.jpg (226x232, 16K)

>Writer who spent over two years ripping off Bokurano rips off something else.

Who would've thought?

Nobody cares about anime enough to rip it off.

t. someone who hasn't read a collection of books compiled by numerous writers over thousands of years that contains a consistent narrative unseen in any other belief system, proving itself an authentic revelation from a God who dwells outside of time and is thus able to foretell the end from the beginning

Attached: Atlantis-Lost-Empire-Anime-Nadia-Blue-Water.jpg (1200x600, 504K)

Attached: one yike.png (3840x2160, 350K)

>resolved by giving her a writing credit
Hahahaha nice try Claire / Catherine or whatever name you're going by but it won't wash.

Are twitters stupid? This trope is as old as fairy tales.

Groundhog day maybe? Star trek simulations?

HG Wells
Buddism
etc

Attached: give it to ya.jpg (600x639, 81K)

No. It's two Morias being reincarnated and shepherded by secret societies to destroy or save the world, along the way they become bishoujo yaoi hatelovers.

A FUCKING LION

>Are twitters stupid?
yes.

So if Xavier also get the powers we know that Hickman's plagiarizing

Hell no
it still wouldn't be plagiarism

Based Hickman

Say, which Marvel Artist was the one who traced stuff from Warhammer 40k and Warframe?

>admit to reading the work in question
>admit that there is similarities
What a fucking moron. You never fucking do that though in the cucked generation this literal who author will forgive him instead of suing his ass and Marvel for stealing her shit. Hackman indeed.

Also if you're going to steal why the hell would you steal from something as shitty as modern "literature"? If you're going to be a hack at least be a hack with standards.

At least pretend you can read, retard

t. idiot zoomer

hickman's response was 100% professional and mature. he already covered all bases by referencing other plots. she has no leg to stand on

there are people seething that hickman is writing x-books because they want muh inclusion and based chartman is a straight white male who pushed reed, doom, tony and cap instead of anybody else.

> author should SUE marvel/disney
yeah ok good luck with that hail mary attempt

Her claims of theft will never hold up.
If it does, I will make 1,000 suits against the writers who plagiarized my idea of "The Heroes Journey" last year from my fanfiction.

Look all I want is chaos. Hickman's a shitty writer and I'm sure this no name author is too. Nothing would happen but I can always hope that somehow, someway, the spirit of Penders will bless her and turn the whole thing into a giant shitshow.

>Admitting he has read her stuff.

Basic mistake! Still its surprising to see a mature collected response from a comic writer.

> Moira is a mutant
> Plagiarizes story

He truly is...
GENE HACKMAN

Yep he was pretty honest. If he were a cheat he would have claimed to have never read it.

He's using a sci-fi plot device that's been used in numerous stories for decades. Groundhog Day being the most famous.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x375, 67K)

Because the human brain is a sponge that soaks in ideas, all ideas, even seemingly new ones, are derived from ideas the brain has absorbed from other sources.

There is no such thing as a truly original work. The Mark Twain quote from earlier in this thread is spot on.

Plagiarism is only the case when you copy and paste a story or concept exactly, or almost exactly.

Who is Claire North?

There are actually people in current year who believe that their ideas are original? How low in awareness and intelligence do you have to be to even think that?

>what if there was a team of people with superpowers who faced challenges and battled bad guys xD
Brainless.

The problem is that Hickman is hyping this old trope as a masterwork of comics. If he had been quiet this wouldn't have happened.

Hickman very admitted it. Someone dug up an old interview from 2013 where he talked about reading the book.

Ideas and concepts are not copyrighted, fool

>Live.Die.Repeat
IT'S EDGE OF TOMORROW YOU FUCKING CRETIN REEEEEE

>Live Die Repeat
I thought the movie was called edge of Tomorrow

Anybody else actually going to read Harry August now?

Nevermind it isnt a comic

Fuck off, it's called All You Need is Kill.

>Literal Mom is gonna freak weirdo
Top kek, kys before you shoot up your school kid

It's not plagiarism, but he is blatantly ripping off another author's character concept after reading their book.

That's actually an excellent rebuttal.

Well no one expects him to have read the manga.
Considering how he manages to get characters completely fucking wrong, it's hard to believe he even reads comics.

i know ideas are not protected by copyright. but Hickman's main problem is that he talked about reading the book in a past interview. This could hurt his credibility. I'm not a hater and I want Hickman's X-men to succeed. Hopefully this will blow over.

it's not though. He's blatantly lying about his concept being more like the Tom Cruise movie, when he clearly got the idea from her book.

>the manga

Attached: 1528268100250.gif (360x280, 1.63M)

the most important scene in x-men's history is also a hack. How many times have we seen this play out in the movies or on tv. maybe he's just unoriginal. or..there's a word for it but it's not hack.

Attached: House-of-X-1-Most-Important-Scene-in-X-Men-History-Powers-of-X.jpg (1988x3056, 743K)

It's an excellent rebuttal because the only common thread he points out was already done in Replay thirty years ago. There's no copyright case to be had not because there's no commonalities, but because none of the ideas are that original.

I think I got it. Hickman is not a hack but he's the Greg Land of writers, He copies common tropes from tv and movies and presents it as an original story. He's pretentious.

Kek, thank God you can read minds and you can actually tell where he got the idea from
Stay mad fag

this author is a fucking cunt

fuck off and leave the x-men alone

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 11.02.11.png (523x611, 130K)

This is a retarded complaint. Claire North didn't invent the concept of reliving your life you absolute mongoloid.

Attached: disabled.png (638x359, 247K)

Hickman isn't the X-Men you retard

The mark of a grand artiste, alliteration.

Honestly i hate what is coming next.
Its just retconing stuff and trying to make a character more important.
Funny its Moira, guess its to make a women important and the real founder of the X-Men. Maybe ten years ago, no problem, but today its just a yasqueen decision for a cheap mystery. And for movie synergy, because they want a women to be the founder of the x-men.

So its Jenny Sparks from the authority?
>published 2014
So she 33 now and graduated somewhere around 2008? Isnt it clear that she read authority that time and plagiarized it?

Attached: jenny sparks.jpg (311x474, 32K)

I am willing to bet that the female author was into fanfictions when the time loop concept was incredibly popular.

and she just admitted she has no case. Ignorance is no defense.

There is a original work. But less and it consist of mix ups or "what if" takes on known tropes.
The only original work is if its based on reality and stuff that happened once.

This It needs to be very similar in plot or characters. Otherwise its interpretation or inspiration. You cant sue that.

Thats a good fitting definition. Are we sure Hickman isnt an A.I. that writes? You seen the A.I. pictures of people? They look more like someone photoshoped pictures together than drawing them in a certain style.

Attached: file.png (983x1542, 3.49M)

>Look all I want is chaos.

Attached: 1475805868054.png (565x488, 460K)

So she admits that she plagiarized the book replay?
>I haven´t read Replay but i hear it´s awesome
Thats what a criminal would say too. How believeable is she when knows about the book.

Yet somehow Sony still has the movie rights to it.

I've seen, like, the first episode of the anime, and it's just nothing alike Disney's Atlantis tbqh

>waiting to be spoonfed the details
Now that's just lazy.

literally (you)

Attached: 1554708313433.png (477x520, 226K)

movie rights means ip, not concept nor plot. So names and overal plots in combination with character treats.

>Funny its Moira, guess its to make a women important and the real founder of the X-Men.
Jesus fuck stay triggered over women, what an idiot. This entire line of thinking is pathetic.
And yeah I'm quoting you because there's people ITT who are like "fuck yeah dabbing on roasties", while this guy here legit hates the series because it gives a female character more importance. It takes all kinds I guess.

Attached: 1477339353329.jpg (1280x1024, 702K)

Seeth
I hate the unnecessary retcon. Its just Destiny 2.0 with a Cassandra Nova and Vulcan mixed in, but feels more like the First class and CharlesxMystique son crap with Bendis O5 timetravel mystery.
Why not let the series move on but need a retcon? Because of the coming movie. In the end it convolutes the story more than it streamlines retcons it.
Stay mad with your virtual signaling gimmick, Hack-fan!

Nah you pretty clearly highlighted how it was all about women, none of what you decided to tack on afterwards to make it look more palatable. It's pretty sad bro.
The retcon actually fixes plenty of stuff in the timelines by streamlining them into a single narrative, without making them redundant, all with a simple plot device. And we still don't even know about the sixth life.
This series is the first one in ages to shift the focus from endless #1s and dumb minis to the X-Men again, getting all sorts of people discussing and debating it, even a guy like me who wasn't that much into mutants. But I can picture you crying until October because "muh future movie! Virtual reality signaling!!". Sad!

Even capeshit is more respectable than YA paperback garbage.

the name is ALL YOU NEED IS KILL.

Attached: all-you-need-is-kill-completo-portugus-D_NQ_NP_647237-MLB28400638778_102018-F[1].jpg (1200x949, 271K)

See

Hilarious considering the book market sells way, WAY more copies and dominates the printed landscape than your most successful comic series. And that's without Diamond nonsense!
It might not be "respectable" but any comic writer wishes they had these sales.

All of that money goes to the publisher, every comic writer dreams their Image output gets optioned for a movie and that's it.

He didn't say it was taken from it you illiterate spoon, he said it was more similar to it, to point out it's not a unique concept and has been done more closely to his work before.

>How many times have we seen this play out in the movies or on tv
I literally can't think of one instance of someone looping their entire lifespan, it's usually a joke people say about timeloop stories "lol what if he didnt escape the loop and loops when hes died of old age in 60 years time?" but nothing ever actually does that in live/animated media.

>trust me bro

Wait, hold on... I thought this was common knowledge? Oh boy.

Attached: null-2-min.png (902x334, 15K)

Scholastic is just state bought copies ADHD will promptly ignore. Very depressing to see the low HarperCollins sales, especially considering comic sales are effectively doubled by selling 50/50 direct market and bookstore trades.

*ADHD kids

It's been so fucking long since I've seen a comic book writer act like a professional. Based Hickman.

>Maybe ten years ago, no problem, but today its just a yasqueen decision for a cheap mystery.
>And for movie synergy, because they want a women to be the founder of the x-men.
Its sad when you clearly show that you dont have any reading ability.

Besides what does it fix but instead add more alternate universes?
>endless #1s
Yeah, thats why it started with so many new #1s and spin-offs.
Seeth more, Hack-fan!

You ignorant fucking wombat
Those are BOOKSCAN numbers only. That entire pie chart only considers the 11.7m comic unit sales (2018) made by bookstores.
Diamond sold 50.4m units in 2018. Even accounting for freebies and units left unsold in comic shops, Diamond easily eclipses Bookscan's results.

Anyone who looks at your dumbfuck chart and didn't immediately notice something was fucky when Image was more than half of Marvel is a dumbfuck themselves.

Attached: ur gay.png (350x302, 190K)

I like Hickman's X-men and i'm still planning to by the hardcover when it comes out but reading his first couple of issues and the possible plagarism I'ved noticed a big flaw in his execution of his story-it reads a bit like a fan fiction. It's a great story so far but it feels like I'm reading the first draft to a great story. this is also my complaint about Scott Snyder's Justice League comic. It needs to be rewritten a couple more times and then rewritten again. This is what basically all serious writers do. But maybe it's not possible because comics have such a tight deadline?

he also needs a good partner in an artist who also has an equal voice. Something like Claremont and Byrne or Marv Wolfman and George perez.

Every comic book is fan fiction and all the originals besides Fantastic Four are horrible.

Bookstore units are trade paperbacks, direct market is mostly floppies. Both markets are on even footing.

>Admits he read it
>Praised it
>Pointed out fair similarities
>AND THEN POINTED OUT TO SIMILARITIES FROM DIFFERENT WORKS THAT ARE AS APPLICABLE TO HAPPY AUGUST
Absolutely respectfully dabbed on.

Jesus was resurrected. Y'all copying the bible.

Even if we accept that as truth, Marvel and DC make up 80% of Diamond's market, and 19% of the Bookscan market. That means the big two alone are 49.5% of the combined comic market.
But it's not the truth; comic shops still outperform bookstores (though bookstores are creeping upwards, due to the surge of popularity in trades)

Also, I need to confess - I made an error. The 50.4m is just the minimum calculated sum of the top 1000 comics in 2018 (via Comichron). The actual number is 84.4 million copies. My bad

Attached: icv2-comichron-2018-channel.jpg (720x1034, 346K)

Gaiman said that both him and Rowling were ripping off T. H. White, The Once and Future King.

user, Diamond isn't the entire western comic.
Just the distributors for the big two.
And the Big two are failing miserably. LANGUISHING in comic shops.

Death of Superman copied Jesus. Therefore, Jesus killed the comic book industry.

The industry hasn't died properly yet. So it can't come back to life anew in the Kingdom of Heaven.

It is just like a wounded animal. Put it out its misery Yea Forums.

So why did you post an image showing the bookscan and direct market on even footing? Oh wow, Diamond is a whooping 9% bigger than bookscan.

Its not plagiarizing when the idea isn't particularly original to begin with. This person doesn't own the concept of reincarnation or time loops. Convergent evolution.

Gaiman was being polite and didn't want to stir up shit since WB, the parent company of DC,had lucrative business relations with Rowling.

>reads a bit like a fan fiction
this is the stupidest non-complaint ever. It means absolutely nothing, since pretty much all big two is fan fic, it's just licensed. And this is NOT a first draft by a long shot. Hickman has been working on these scripts for a year before the announcement has even began.

And you are complaining about the art? This is the first big two book to really go all out with a whole designed asthetic and it matches with the artists styles.

>user, Diamond isn't the entire western comic.
>Just the distributors for the big two.
user, they distribute almost all floppies, they handle Image, Dynamite, Boom, etc etc. There are VERY few floppies that you can get outside of Diamond, one of the few is from TKO.

Kids books and graphic novels? Ya, those aren't through Diamond.

Olivetti on Venom: Space Knight.

So it would also be a problem if he was on record about having watched Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow?

>How many times have we seen this play out
Give an example (or two).

>Bendis O5 timetravel mystery
Hahaha, what? Is the mystery that he had to work out what it wwas about himself, but couldn't do it?

>He's already finished reading all of HoX/Pox

Comics are about a third of total? That's WAY more than I was expecting.

>Look all I want is chaos

How is middle school going champ

Are you fucking retarded? This was before DC was even in a situation where they needed to be bought out.

>looks bad
Oh, fuck right off. There’s nothing wrong with lifting a plot device.

>woman think she owns the idea of "Groundhog day but an entire lifetime not one day"

Wooooooow so original idea! She should sue!

thousand magical school girls are fine but this isn't for some reason

stupid

it's not an original idea, it's been done many times before

good luck to them, I guess

you cant copyright an idea. you know how marvel has their own versions of the justice league and dc has their own versions of the avengers? you can copyright specific chunks of text, pieces of art, trademark character names and costumes but you can't 'own' an idea.

>marvel has their own versions of the justice league and dc has their own versions of the avengers?
that is a bit of a special case. They have ripped off each other enough to know they can no longer sue each other.

okay but what about the other 2 million justice league analogues in non marvel publications that have never lead to any kind of lawsuit

And Star Wars ripped off most of it's ideas and costumes
same with Lion King

nothing happened with those either.

you're missing the point, it wouldn't even matter if she did

Mushi season 2 had a time looo episode that spanded lifetimes.

(You)

Attached: Joker being petty.jpg (500x671, 131K)

Moar liek JEEEAAAAN hackman

Warner bought DC in the 70s or 80s mate.

1969, but there's a couple of asterisks there.
DC's parent company (National Periodical Publications) was bought by Kinney National Company in 1967, then Kinney National Company bought WB in 1969.
It spun all entertainment related stuff off as "Warner Communications" in 1972.

thanks for the clarification my dude

Fucking based. The only writer at marvel right now that's worth reading.

Attached: moltar280.jpg (280x210, 27K)

* Aside from Ewing and Zdarsky