Do they hold up or are they just disgusting half-hour toy commercials?

do they hold up or are they just disgusting half-hour toy commercials?

Attached: 1538580553590.png (476x356, 395K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AGrKfQ9Ss7w
youtube.com/watch?v=zloWEvRDhgI
youtube.com/watch?v=sZSswJ5ovi4
youtube.com/watch?v=M7VS-ZoeMqs
youtube.com/watch?v=MWHEkIrEe-I
youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-Pl-Q34ng
youtube.com/watch?v=sCSRPIgKZVk
youtube.com/watch?v=HcGNqrAtsgg
youtube.com/watch?v=xEFJo85EZVw
youtube.com/watch?v=ozushuepKko
youtube.com/watch?v=K7CxVXRzRtM
youtube.com/watch?v=ls2lvNYrZVI
youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A
youtube.com/watch?v=gy7fO2i9y94
youtube.com/watch?v=wKZfwih-3dM
youtube.com/watch?v=EqsgLxuMhLE
youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ZviemBWC8SU
youtube.com/watch?v=70a7xsxO97E
youtube.com/watch?v=tOlnmiayzGY
youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4Sqn0eX_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=r4mjLHPQqO4
youtube.com/watch?v=TzvWsyq0EgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8udXcsGfb0M
youtube.com/watch?v=QR-MbF9hXT8&list=PLA496364B3907F088&index=8
youtube.com/watch?v=YsxmXiRw6d4
youtube.com/watch?v=bLuasPi0T8U
youtube.com/watch?v=8VbxpZhGWBs
youtube.com/watch?v=3ufVQIUEiYc
youtube.com/watch?v=UtLePVNzMI8
youtube.com/watch?v=eIz_Ts0GpHM
youtube.com/watch?v=Yae0jXr2xyM
youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA
youtube.com/watch?v=UD3lUzIB9JQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GyOMYC6mlsY
youtube.com/watch?v=Yvbwl9c1vB0
youtube.com/watch?v=jOI_f8CYD1M
youtube.com/watch?v=mkN86X9kw1E
youtube.com/watch?v=y8vpeDEOII4
youtube.com/watch?v=VI__EW_fPJs
youtube.com/watch?v=gjbWDjzTM0A
youtube.com/watch?v=KjynIrnk2HY
youtube.com/watch?v=1t-9bHhuDUg
youtube.com/watch?v=hWKv9QS2tJA
youtube.com/watch?v=qtG-RNv3XHM
youtube.com/watch?v=FLhOfE6gNnU
youtube.com/watch?v=AoWexi-DWFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=a4OKJp-ohkw
youtube.com/watch?v=HT3cl4GJIDs
youtube.com/watch?v=mf2_g52p__Y
youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg
youtube.com/watch?v=Xr5Z2jpzTYk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

87 ninja turtles is overshadowed by the first film. When people think of the cartoon, they get it mixed up with the movie (like the Shredder)

Original Transformers is fairly decent, especially the movie. Turtles may have been passable, the other two are pretty crap.

If you mean to us as adults, they do not hold up, and they shouldn't. But if I were to show them to little kids today? I think they'd still be thoroughly entertained.

I think those shows tapped into something that modern kids shows can't. They are as unabashedly exciting as they are dumb. They pandered to pure id and had only the flimsiest concerns for pleasing parents. Kids today don't have this, and I feel bad for them.

Yes.

He man is good but she ran is better, haven't seen the others

>I feel bad for them
Boomers are sadder than ever.

The 1986 Transformers movie will hold up until the end of time.

youtube.com/watch?v=AGrKfQ9Ss7w

Attached: hot-rod-w-matrix2.jpg (2700x1800, 1.32M)

Skeletor is fucking hilarious as an adult

yes

For somebody who never watched He Man, how?

Turtles does, if you view it as a straight comedy with occasional action.

He's incredibly bitchy and constantly exasperated with his underlings. He's just good at over the top villain things like cackling and calling people "you bulbous bumbling boob" or something.

He's a delightful ham and has some pretty good zingers here and there. Alan Oppenheimer brought out his top shelf talent for the roll and you can't help but enjoy him as the villain.

Frank Langella played Skeletor in the otherwise awful live action and he even fondly remembers the role as one of his favorites. You can tell he had fun with it even if the rest of the movie was a garbage fire.

Skeletor's not just a villain, he's an entertainment all by himself.

so he's like a supervillain retail manager

forgive me if this is retarded, but if all I know about Transformers is that they are alien robots fighting on Earth will the movie still be good? I only know Optimus Prime and Megatron, and I always heard the movie was unusually good for its time.

Shows like He-Man have aged so poorly that they became incredibly fun to watch with their constant recycled animation, goofy voice acting and bizarre plots. But you can tell they had a lot of heart put into it that made them stand out from the dozens of other toy-commercial shows that were airing at the time.
Also skeletor is still 10/10

Attached: groose.jpg (500x500, 31K)

Nah you're just a newfag
The movies watchable without prior experience to g1, they give enough exposition and kill most of the cast in the first few minutes

He-Man came first

Only thunder cats

It was a weird state of things.
Shows seemed to have expansive universes just like modern day shows, but the approach to it was to just make up random rules and lore for heroic deed of the day episodes rather than provide consistency or even really progress the story's arcing goal. Weren't The Thundercats out to fix their ship for the entire show or something?

That's basically how you watch all popular 80s cartoons though

The fact that we still remember and discuss these shows after all these years speaks volumes

TMNT still being the second best show about ninja turtles.

>the marketing worked
consume and purchase, fellow drone.

He-Man and TMNT have aged surprisingly well whereas G1 Transformers and OG Thundercats are absolute vinegar.

Attached: 1556852539739.png (635x471, 275K)

I never really gave a shit about transformers but had this movie on VHS and its pure kino

No not really. The animation aside, the stories are just too boring to care about.. Every single one of them has a reboot or spinoff thats much better.

>87 ninja turtles is overshadowed by the first film. When people think of the cartoon, they get it mixed up with the movie (like the Shredder)

I never see anyone mix up the show with the movie.

I do sometimes see people mix up the movie with the well-written gritty special effects masterpiece they vaguely remember the movie being (a very silly mistake to make).

Attached: is toyfare wrong or not.jpg (947x1500, 842K)

>No not really. The animation aside, the stories are just too boring to care about.. Every single one of them has a reboot or spinoff thats much better.

Thundercats doesn't.

The reboot COULD have been better. But it just kinda fell apart after the pilot, and the second season was set up to be a deep dive into grimdark lagoon. The Thundercats in our heads is the only worthwhile version.

>well-written gritty special effects masterpiece
nope, I got that movie sitting on my shelf. It's a good one.

He-Man still airs where I live and most kids who watch it seem to enjoy it. I actually like it too whenever I catch an episode. Ditto Thundercats.

I'd dare say though TMNT held up the best.

lets not forget that they sliced up the pilot episode for dvd and broadcast, the full uncut footage was only ever available on shitty vhs

They were paid to write toy commercials. They also decided to go nuts with that shit.

Seriously, go watch these episodes next to a fan and listen to him narrate the thick details.

youtube.com/watch?v=zloWEvRDhgI

NNNGGGAAAAHHH~

No, they were technically post-apocalyptic survivors after their old planet exploded for unclear reasons. You're thinking of Gilligan's Island.

t. not having watched the original transformers, not the movie, since they first aired in his childhood

I have said it before and I will say it again.
Original he-man isn't very good.
Original she-ra isn't very good.
Bravestarr is a genuinely fantastic show with well-written stories, IMPECCABLE moral lessons and memorable, likable heroes. It is a shame that it's so forgotten, because it might be the best thing funimation - and the entire period of serialized animation - has ever produced.

Attached: bravestarr_main.jpg (825x464, 81K)

Goofy, campy, and filled with QUALITY yet done surprisingly well outside of that. They're a product of their time and have aged badly but that doesn't mean they're outright bad.

Filmation, not Funimation. Was that an autocorrect fail, perchance?

And yeah. Imo, Bravestarr (and Blackstar) are semi-forgotten gems.

not autocorrect, but a genuine brain fart. Sorry.

Transformers hasn't aged well as a cartoon, but it's left a pretty good legacy.

TMNT has some rough spots, but I'd argue it's more adaptable to a current year/modern climate than the other three.

Almost thought this was a stream thread

The movie ruined the show though

The soundtrack is absolute dope

Toy commercial cartoons are often top tier.

Continuity-heavy shows are nowhere as fun.

The post movie season did not sit well with fans, especially on Unicron's "origin".

Tmnt was my favourite out of the bunch

>He-Man
No, the animation is static recycled as hell. It might be the worst one in that image.
>Thundercats
Not sure, I have only watched the first few episodes but I'd say it's the most impressive out of the four.
>TMNT
Awful adaptation, horrible animation, incompetent editing, unfunny jokes galore and writing that ranges from boring to incomprehensive nonsense. It's objectively garbage.
>Transformers
Similar problems to TMNT but it can't offend me the same way because it doesn't have any actual source material to screw up, just character designs lifted from Diaclone.

Attached: he-man transformation.gif (390x290, 1.66M)

The movie was awesome

that season has a lot of good episodes though especially with the central conflict being over they were free to explore new storytelling ground. that primacron episode was some bullshit though

Watch the opening three parter of the cartoon, and You've good to go for the movie.

The movie is actually pretty terrible from a plot standpoint.

Hasbro thought so too and preferred the comics' origin of Unicron

>the movie is terrible from a plot standpoint
The movie is the single best thing about Transformers.

Attached: 1346716309575.jpg (932x1511, 163K)

>The movie is the single best thing about Transformers.
And that is sad.

Both He-Man and TMNT were outdone by their early 2000s counterparts. Never gave a shit about the other two franchises.

All 80s action cartoons are unbelievably boring.

Sorry you have terrible taste. Best soundtrack, best voice cast, the plot might be a rip from Star Wars but it holds its own.

Attached: 1177814217816.jpg (563x720, 108K)

This. The only exceptions are Bravestarr and The Real Ghostbusters.

Attached: 1386470802925.png (720x540, 564K)

Like the G.I Joe movie

All of it was awesome.

You know, I've come across a lot of kids who love the classic He-Man. I'm sure it's because of it being available on YT, but it's pretty cool to see today's kids can get suckered in just as much as we were.

The movie is awfully written nonsense. Characters range from "not interesting" to "annoying" with the notable exception of Unicron, who, thanks to his voice acting, is The Single Coolest Thing In The Entire Franchise.
Soundtrack is a million times better than the movie deserves.
I would never call if "good", but I wouldn't call it "bad" either. It's a unique abomination.

Transformers is really funny.

>tmnt
t. Mirage purist

You can honestly say the same of (almost) all the other shows.
Uncle Phil's performance as Shredder.
Frank Welker's Megatron, Chris Latta as both Cobra Commander and Starscream.
The villains often were far more compelling than all the other assholes on those shows. Particularly all the god awful corporate mandated "kiddy appeal" viewer-insert character that we're all meant to find relatable. Fucking barf.
... Mum-Ra, not so much. He really wasn't all interesting as a character. Generic anime big bad, really. His transformation sequence was fucking fire, tho.

>Continuity-heavy shows are nowhere as fun.

Oh bro. Back in the day you had to follow strict schelude, nowadays you're just watching a big story cut into episodes.

Attached: dobguards.jpg (1240x697, 48K)

>Uncle Phil's performance as Shredder.
His gay duo with Krang is perfect.

Does anyone have a MEGA for any of these 80s cartoons? GI Joe included.

I like em all still

He-Man is dated and 90% of zoomers wont get it, because it was sort of a cartoon that you had to have experienced at the time, and it was also purposely campy and light hearted, because it was aimed at kids 5 and under with minimal action, while the toys were more edgy.

For 80's toy tie-in cartoons, this is my ranking for how well they held up and accessibility for new people to watch them:

>1. GI Joe
youtube.com/watch?v=sZSswJ5ovi4
>2. The Real Ghostbusters
youtube.com/watch?v=M7VS-ZoeMqs
>3. TMNT
youtube.com/watch?v=MWHEkIrEe-I
>4. Transformers
youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-Pl-Q34ng
>5. Dungeons & Dragons
youtube.com/watch?v=sCSRPIgKZVk
>6. Thundercats
youtube.com/watch?v=HcGNqrAtsgg
>7. Voltron
youtube.com/watch?v=xEFJo85EZVw
>8. Bionic Six
youtube.com/watch?v=ozushuepKko
>9. New Adventures of He-Man
youtube.com/watch?v=K7CxVXRzRtM
>10. Inhumanoids
youtube.com/watch?v=ls2lvNYrZVI
>11. Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A
>12. Dinosaucers
youtube.com/watch?v=gy7fO2i9y94
>13. Starcom
youtube.com/watch?v=wKZfwih-3dM
>14. Silverhawks
youtube.com/watch?v=EqsgLxuMhLE
>15. M.A.S.K.
youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q
>16. Visionaries
youtube.com/watch?v=ZviemBWC8SU
>16. Centurions
youtube.com/watch?v=70a7xsxO97E
>16. C.o.p.s.
youtube.com/watch?v=tOlnmiayzGY
>17. Robocop
youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4Sqn0eX_Q
>18. Tigersharks
youtube.com/watch?v=r4mjLHPQqO4
>19. Bravestarr
youtube.com/watch?v=TzvWsyq0EgQ
>20. Masters of the Universe
youtube.com/watch?v=8udXcsGfb0M

Attached: bad_girls_of_80s_cartoons_by_valkardy-daomqcs.jpg (1024x791, 300K)

He-Man is a pretty fun episodic fantasy sci-fi.

Attached: He-Man wasn't go-.jpg (353x767, 72K)

not bad for gifs either

Attached: ib7LKeXwSxyc8.gif (560x433, 1.92M)

" Evil Area"

My favourite moments with these old shows is when you can see the adults writing it let loose a bit, usually with the villains who don't have to be role-models or in the banter.

I thin Paul Dini amd JMS wrote for She-Ra? It's interesting seeing these lauded writers turn up in the credits of very silly shows.

>thanks to his voice acting

Thanks to Japanese animators putting in far more effort than the movie deserved.

Orson Welles sleepwalking through the role did not make the character.

The Bad Mountains don't sound like a great vacation spot.

Filmation

Dude, I first watched it as a 10-year old zoomer brat who knew nothing about Transformers other than a couple episodes of Armada.
You could show this to anybody with half a brain and they would love it.

The movie is absolutely fucking god tier.
I really don't give a shit about Transformers, but god dammit this movie is good.

youtube.com/watch?v=QR-MbF9hXT8&list=PLA496364B3907F088&index=8

I spotted JMS in the credits for at least an episode of Real Ghostbusters.

>Particularly all the god awful corporate mandated "kiddy appeal" viewer-insert character that we're all meant to find relatable. Fucking barf.
Fuck Scott, but boy did the crew have fun writing T-Bob.

Being toy commercials doesn't make something bad. You can have a fun toy commercial, a lousy toy commercial, a great original idea, or an awful original idea.

>The movie ruined the show though
Lol it didn't, season 3 was overall better then s2 in basically all regards, sure there are some major duds there but there are so many great episodes and they really got play with the idea that transformers are in fact aliens.

I've never seen Thundercats, but I saw the other 3
Am I missing out? Should I make it a point to watch Thundercats?

80's action cartoons aren't exactly peak west animation but they're very good compared to the sea of bad/mediocre shit coming out today, to me at least.

Only watched Ninja Turtles and Transformers recently. Turtles is whatever but watchable, Transformers is actually good when it's not trying to do shitty comedy but some flaws are always gonna be there like there being way too many characters I can't recognize in a lot of scenes.

I can't believe Bravestarr didn't become bigger. Right next to Captain Planet when it comes to stuff that needs a new incarnation. Hell it's ahead of Captain Planet.

The Transformers pilot and the movie hold up in terms of story though only the latter holds up in terms of animation. TMNT is fairly solid all the way through though the villains stop being anything close to a legitimate threat in the last few seasons. Michelangelo stopping the use of nunchucks by then didn't help. My memory of He-Man is too hazy to give an opinion. Thundercats got better as the show progressed but I haven't rewatched any of it in decades so I would not know how well it has held up.

I really wish the generic template for cartoons became the 80's one instead of what we have now.

Great-looking base models
ok-looking backgrounds
wonky animation though good when it needs to be

instead of consistently decent animation but at the expense of everything else being kinda dogshit.

Yeah alot of those shows seemed to have a random episode or two where the writing suddenly takes a shift to the oddly mature side like they intentionally wrote one not for a kid audience and snuck it through the cracks.

The one where He-man is tricked into thinking he killed someone, or the Captain Planet episode with the drugs and the Russian girl's cousin dying, or the Transformer one where they blow up that one peaceful nature lagoon, etc.

damn! soulmate art actually exists?

Hell no.
The animation was rarely ever good and littered with errors.

Honestly the only thing I miss on that front is the backgrounds, which could be atmospheric.

To be fair to Welles he was like 2 months away from the grave when he did the role (it was his last job ever) and he tried his best but just had no energy or stamina anymore, and they were too star struck by the idea of getting one of the biggest actors in history in their film that they didn't realize he was in such poor shape until he arrived to record wheezing in a wheelchair and they were kind of stuck having to make it work.

The interview on the dvd with the sound director he says that people think Welles just didn't give a fuck but in fact the problem was that he was just too old and sick to give anything but a wispery weary sounding performance in only a couple of takes and he had to get all kinds of sound wizardry to get it barely passable because they didn't want to increase the budget even more by recasting and redoing the part as they'd already paid Welles.

>consistently decent

You need to go back and watch some of these again.

good animation just doesn't mean much to me if everything else is bad/boring and especially if the character models look like almost stickman-like.

No, I meant current TV animation is consistently decent but with everything else about the shows being bad.

Yeah, but you know what the problem was?
The show was another joint venture between Mattel and Filmation
He-Man and She-Ra being hits, they wanted to try and capture that lightning in a bottle again.
But the toys were awful, so the franchise folded.

It should be noted that the difference between He-Man and Bravestarr was that He-Man was made by the toy company, and was made to be marketted for profit.

Bravestarr was designed by Filmation, and the toy deal came after. Lou Scheimer specifically made the show based solely around Tex Hex.
That was the shitty thing about 80s action cartoons...characters had to be designed to drive merchandise sales. The fact that Bravestarr was a labor of love shows in the writing, but it didn't make for a marketable show.

I was amazed at the quality of the movie when I saw it. Like actual classic Hollywood B-Western good, just with a load of Flash Gordon style trappings. Head and shoulders above the other Filmation shows of the time.

JMS was a huge writer on Real Ghostbusters. Did tons of great and important episodes, he even wrote the post-Ghostbusters II episode explaining why Janine changed character designs and voice actresses. He bailed after they really started pushing Slimer as the kid appeal character to work on stuff like Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. Then he did Babylon 5.

Paul Dini and Marv Wolfman wrote a few episodes of Jem and the Holograms, believe it or not. A lot of comics writers worked on American cartoons going back to Steve Gerber on Herculoids and Thundarr the Barbarian.

He-man/She-ra have aged poorly, but are still worth going back to cause the general campiness is fun. He-man 2002 was great and it saddens me greatley it got cancelled after one season. She-ra reboot started off meh but has been getting better and better with each new season

Thundercats is the same as He-man. The reboot sucked, the pilot was good but it dropped the ball so fucking hard, Roar looks stupid but if its anything like TTG then at least it will have some genuine laughs

The original TMNT has probably aged the best out of those four. even though its the weakest of the four TMNT TV shows

Transformers, is a little janky nowadays but still wort watching. At lot of the newer cartoons have been hit or miss, but Animated and Prime were great.

Attached: he_man_teaser_style_by_nebezial_d1wzynu.jpg (1600x929, 514K)

No idea why people still think the 2011 Thundercats sucked, especially after how low the bar has been lowered with american cartoons. Dropped the ball with what? What's your standard for a good cartoon that delivers?

Really, whenever I rewatch it I just keep wondering why on earth people would hate it.

Timm and Dini both got their starts on He-Man. I find that really cool, and it always makes me wonder how a DCAU styled MOTU show headed by those two would work out

>No idea why people still think the 2011 Thundercats sucked

Show takes a nosedive after the flashback episode. Good designs and decent animation wasted on a really REALLY badly written show (not that different from the original series in that respect). Apparently all of it stemmed from one of the writers having a huge hard-on for Tygra of all things, to the point of trying to make him the real MC of the show. Halfway through the show.

Doesnt DC have their own MotU comic series going on?

Just can't agree with that. Even if you hated the Tygra focus I don't get how it's a badly written show let a alone a REALLY badly written one. I was bored by some stuff like the elephants and the Mothra episode but overall it's really not as bad as you make it sound.

From what I have read on Yea Forums about it, it is mainly because Lion-o get dumped on by Tygra and how both Cheetara and Pumrya played with his heart.

>how both Cheetara and Pumrya played with his heart.
I think I've heard of this before and didn't think it was a big deal. Still a really petty reason to demonize a show like that.

Well people on Yea Forums tend to care more about shipping and waifus in shows than stuff like plot. One guy often posted how he would fix the show with one of the major thing being that Lion-o is with Wilykit.

>nowadays you're just watching a big story cut into episodes.
It's not so much that the stories are big, but an entire season's story tends to be enough for 2-3 part episode stretched out to an entire season with tons of filler added. All that really means is you often have to watch the episodes in chronological order to understand what
s going on, and things are usually paced so poorly episodes don't really have a satisfying beginning or end.

Episodic story telling really is the best because writers are forced to take a story and cut out the needless fluff to make it fit within the episode length, rather than take a story and pad it out with needless fluff to last the entire season.

Attached: EAgAKH5WwAAa8Bc.jpg (1716x2048, 219K)

>That was the shitty thing about 80s action cartoons...characters had to be designed to drive merchandise sales.
That was also a great thing about 80s action cartoons...characters: the creators were incentivized to design characters in a way kids would actually like, rather than simply making whatever the adults making the show want.

Attached: 1347334828169.jpg (362x352, 11K)

Both. They're disgusting, half-hour toy commercials, but they're dumb in a fun, endearing way so they hold up.

I don't know how they're disgusting at all. Such a ridiculous opinion.

I've been watching a basics-on-Transformers Youtube channel for like a month straight - having no experience with the franchise beyond Armada and its sequels - and it's actually kind of fascinating.

It's a knee-jerk reaction to any form of capitalism. Leftism has weaseled into every form of media to indoctrinate kids into thinking capitalism is inherently evil. The truth is that shows are rarely ever profitable on their own, so some form of merchandising is necessary. This has boiled-down a lot of shows aimed at kids into being "toy commercials" because that's the merchandise that appeals most to that demographic.

They're allowed to manipulate kids, but cry foul when others do it for profit.

Attached: 1564517236835.png (853x704, 34K)

>Paul Dini and Marv Wolfman wrote a few episodes of Jem and the Holograms, believe it or not.

I actually believe it. Jem, 80sness and girly things aside was actually fairly mature alot of the time, with plots like the one orphan who's father went MIA in the Vietnam War, or how Pizazz's father fucked up raising her and knew it but it was too late to do anything about it because her childhood had already come and gone and he neglected her then.

Or the episode they try to gaslight Jerrica and she thinks she's losing her mind and has a breakdown. Or just the ongoing theme of Jerrica having way too much responsibility thrown on her because both her parents died when she was barely out of school.

It had it's stupid plots too but it often took itself far more seriously than Transformers or GIJoe ever did. Especially since it was actually in the same universe although it didn't crossover directly.

We all know which toy commercial held up the best.

Attached: Megan-hips.gif (350x237, 957K)

Transformers G1 holds up decently enough(even if the post movie seasons are kind rough animation wise), He-Man and TMNT hold up well enough if you go into them with the right expectations, and Thundercats unfortunately just has not aged all that greatly

>so he's like a supervillain retail manager
that is an amazingly apt comparison, and now I want a comic where Skeletor and all the other villains are working at the Eternian equivalent of Wal-Mart, with He-Man and The Masters being, well the kind of people who shop at Wal-Mart

if we're talking about good fantasy series of the period should definitely include Thundarr The Barbarian in the discussion as well

honestly you aren't wrong about that one holding up surprisingly well

Scripts by Michael Reaves, David Wise, and Linda Woolverton.

I never grew up with shows like He-man and Transformers but I still thoroughly enjoyed them. So yeah, I'd say that they aged well. Except for TMNT 87. That shits unbearable.

Honestly, you don't have to be deluded by nostalgia to like this kind of shit and think it's superior compared to a lot of stuff today. I don't think I watched a single 80's cartoons except for TMNT as a kid but it's still this great age of animation to me and not just some big toy commercial.

Also, even people who saw them as adults back in the day probably have a good opinion on them because it was a renaissance compared to 70's Hanna-Barbera shit.

ThunderCats was the fucking shit and I want to watch them again, anyone have them?

Worldbuilding was shit. The cats apparently have this powerful, wide-ranging kingdom and technology is halfway between an urban legend and ancient history, then a couple episodes later everyone in the world has, often highly sophisticated, technology, leading one to wonder what exactly was going on with the cats.

Thundercats may be slow, but It doesnt feel much as a commercial for toys, at least for me

watchcartoononline.io
thewatchcartoononline.tv

I liked the moral of the story endings

It's not an either or situation, the quality of the writing is not dependent on format, and most story-driven shows have standalone episodes and even a lot of modern episodic shows have long-running plots.

False, the toy companies were incentivized to to design characters that marketing told them would appeal to kids according to their focus testing/what was already popular and the people working on the cartoons had to use those designs.

I think part of the reason is that Jem was a soap opera. While it had fantastical and absurd elements, it's character drama was heavily rooted in, ostensible, realism.

Those three are tasteless feckless cunts

>I never see anyone mix up the show with the movie.
I've seen some people talk like the shredder from the 87 cartoon is the same as the one from the movie.

>no SilverHawks
Shit thread

Attached: 8A4FAFE4-5175-4E6C-8CB5-F415BCCEC594.jpg (2000x1500, 554K)

What the fuck is up with that image, is that some prototype shit that was changed for the actual show?

Thanks for this

Idk I actually just added it from a search

Its boring, like really really boring. Its like this wierd half dream feel to everything. Might be the music but the way lines are given and action scenes are at a snail pace. It just makes me tired.

>False, the toy companies were incentivized to to design characters that marketing told them would appeal to kids according to their focus testing/what was already popular and the people working on the cartoons had to use those designs.

Ok, what's wrong with that? And how does it contradict what I said?

The people working on the cartoons had little control over designs, and plenty of toylines during the 80s did poorly - even ones with cartoons attached. To think that studio or toy company execs in the 80s were any better than the ones we've got now is silly.

>but boy did the crew have fun writing T-Bob.
I appreciate this post.

>He bailed after they really started pushing Slimer as the kid appeal character to work on stuff like Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
Jayce aired way earlier than Ghostbusters(I think Wheeled Warriors was his first cartoon?) but JMS certainly did work on Captain Power and Spiral Zone after Slimer.

>A lot of comics writers worked on American cartoons
Comic writers invented The Transformers as we know it. Those Daiclone toys didn't have any kind of story before Marvel got involved. Bob Budianski and Simon Furman did almost all the lore building on Transformers. Larry Hama did the same for G.I. Joe and I think M.A.S.K. as well.
Nevermind the fact that a bunch of old Hanna Barbara cartoons had Alex Toth and Jack Kirby doing the character designs.

>Timm and Dini
>a DCAU styled MOTU show headed by those two
Coming soon to Netflix...

>do they hold up
Usually the pilot episodes do. Transformers' first 3 eps. Thundercats' first 5.
I don't remember He-Man's premiere eps but the show itself is terrible yet hilarious in a "so bad it's great" way.
Turtles is the weakest of the the 4 but also doesn't really take itself too seriously so if you keep that in mind it's not all that bad.

>To think that studio or toy company execs in the 80s were any better than the ones we've got now is silly.

Attached: 8f4.png (1198x1203, 304K)

What were the ratings? Also, you have to account for the changing television landscape since the 80s and the decline of first-run syndication, a major factor in the production of cartoons in the 80s.

They had the best fucking intros for that era of cartoon.

>MINIONS SOMEONE TELL ME HOW I MANAGED TO STEAL MY ENTIRE SCHTICK FROM THIS SKULL FACED SIMPLETON!

Attached: monarchs.jpg (640x360, 64K)

Nothing wrong with half-hour toy commercials if they actually made you want to buy the toys. Maybe the problem is that they don't know how to make toy-shilling shows anymore.

Attached: MASK.jpg (420x300, 54K)

This show is so fucking based and underrated, Kids just aren't super into cowboys sadly and the toyline came out before the media so that didn't help. It was really ahead of its time.

>Kids just aren't super into cowboys
user...

Attached: NoItIsTheChildrenWhoAreWrong.jpg (1920x1360, 262K)

JMS also did Spiral Zone under a pseudonym.

overwatch has cowboys in it, it is not a cowboy-based franchise, you'd have a better point if you posted Red Dead Redemption

>He-Man
Camp fun. A joy to watch with friends, same with She-ra.

>Thundercats
Excellent animation and fantasy designs. Characters aren't fun like He-man, but the show is well made.

>TMNT
First 5(?) episodes are fantastic. Gets a bit wonky after that, and gets very wonky two or three seasons in. Still watchable if you're just hanging around for funny Shredder and Krang interactions.

>Transformers
Nah.

Also American kids had fallen out of love with Cowboys.

is uncomfortable to watch, is just like adventure time when comes to the MC love interest. Also i think they missed the point of most of the characters, Lion-O remained the same even if he got the biggest change in looks, which is i think a big coincidence, cant do the heroic but "a lot to learn" MC wrong.

>Red Dead Redemption
You must be 18 years of age or older to play Red Dead Redemption.

Yeah, and you had to be 18 or older to play GTA, please don't pretend kids don't play RDR.

>Violent Video Games cause Mass Shootings.

Attached: 1565367863-20190809.png (684x1189, 476K)

>I fear for a generation raised on Minecraft
same desu

These shows are literally children's entertainment. I realize there's been a manchild renaissance in the past 10 years where every single piece of media needs to be engaging works art for all ages but sometimes kids like stupid shit. 10 year old boys love shit like this. Big muscular guys and robot cars fighting stuff. We're experience a transition period where the kids who grew up with this stuff are having mid life crisis's because surprise they can't connect to children's cartoons anymore

Episodic cartoons are so rare these days because everything has to be catered to Netflix binge watcher adults

I unironically agree with this comic. Seeing grown ass adults get mad because little kids are enjoying Minecraft or Fortnite is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen

but user, grown ass adults are the makers of Minecraft and Fortnite.

> does this shit hold up?
i don't know, does the child watching it shout about wanting to buy a toy of it? no? then it failed as a commercial.
did the child learn a valuable lesson from it? no? then it failed as a story telling device.
did the child at least enjoy watching it? no?

why waste time watching that garbage?

> children
> knowing what's good for themselves
unmodded minecraft is objectively shit after 24 hours to a mind that understands a game loop, and fortnite and its ilk is a vehicle to sell microtransactions to people who ACTUALLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS THEY ARE DOING OR CHOOSING.

also, remind me to punch my childhood dentist if i see him again for giving me the choice on if i wanted braces or not. i am literally paying for it as an adult because another adult decided to be an incompetent shit-head about healthcare.

Attached: SimpsonsChildrenDontKnowShit.jpg (500x534, 26K)

...yes? Did you think videogames used to be made by 15 year olds?

hey, user.
don't forget to punch your childhood dentist.

>did the child at least enjoy watching it?
that one is a bit difficult to quantify, isn't it?
children will literally cop a squat and be entertained by their own shit if you allow it.

Did. It's been cancelled, as Mattel and WB have gone their separate ways.

My Little Pony was my introduction to high fantasy and questing stories.

No you kind of do.
Or at least be such a manchild that you can only find enjoyment in the most basic of writing.

>Except for TMNT 87. That shits unbearable
Fuck you i liked it still.

If the amount of money the Marvel Cinematic Universe is any indication the most basic of writing is also the most enjoyable (and profitable) type of writing sought out by the media consuming population of the planet.

>shhhh
>they think they are deep and clever for liking retarded nonsense and "clever"writing
>that being incapable of finding enjoyment in simple stories means that they are too good for it rather then them being just jaded and broken emotionally

That's what happened with the rebooted Voltron, just in many more seasons.

Just on deviant art

For the hell of it I did a 90's list of action cartoons

Rules: It had to be primarily about selling toys and therefore excludes shows like Batman and X-men and primarily most superhero cartoons, so even if a show had some toys it didn't nessacarily qualify, which therefore excludes shows like Reboot and Swat Kats. The show also had to be specifically an action cartoon of the 80's and 90's to qualify. The ranking is based on how well shows held up over time and whether they're easy to get into for new fans. The noterity of a toy line can factor in to a degree as to whether or not they made it on the list, such as if the toy line wasn't popular and it had an obscure cartoon, it didn't appear here.

>1. Mighty Max
youtube.com/watch?v=YsxmXiRw6d4

>2. Beast Wars
youtube.com/watch?v=bLuasPi0T8U

>3. Extreme Ghostbusters
youtube.com/watch?v=8VbxpZhGWBs

>4. Mega Man
youtube.com/watch?v=3ufVQIUEiYc

>5. EXO Squad
youtube.com/watch?v=UtLePVNzMI8

>6. Mummies Alive!
youtube.com/watch?v=eIz_Ts0GpHM

>7. Bots Master
youtube.com/watch?v=Yae0jXr2xyM

>8. Skeleton Warriors
youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

>9. Bucky O'Hare
youtube.com/watch?v=UD3lUzIB9JQ

>10. Captain Planet
youtube.com/watch?v=GyOMYC6mlsY

>11. Street Sharks
youtube.com/watch?v=Yvbwl9c1vB0

>12. Skysurfer Strike force
youtube.com/watch?v=jOI_f8CYD1M

>13. Creepy Crawlers
youtube.com/watch?v=mkN86X9kw1E

Attached: Mighty+Max+by+Ryan+Brinkerhoff.png (499x693, 486K)

Part 2 of the list:

>14. Biker Mice from Mars
youtube.com/watch?v=y8vpeDEOII4

>15. Extreme Dinosaurs
youtube.com/watch?v=VI__EW_fPJs

>16. King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
youtube.com/watch?v=gjbWDjzTM0A

>17. Monster Force
youtube.com/watch?v=KjynIrnk2HY

>18. Shadow Raiders
youtube.com/watch?v=1t-9bHhuDUg

>19. Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa
youtube.com/watch?v=hWKv9QS2tJA

>20. Battletech
youtube.com/watch?v=qtG-RNv3XHM

>21. Action Man
youtube.com/watch?v=FLhOfE6gNnU

>22. James Bond Jr
youtube.com/watch?v=AoWexi-DWFQ

>23. Space Strikers
youtube.com/watch?v=a4OKJp-ohkw

>24. Conan the Adventurer
youtube.com/watch?v=HT3cl4GJIDs

>25. Toxic Crusaders
youtube.com/watch?v=mf2_g52p__Y

>26. Swamp Thing
youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg

These were generally what you were watching and buying toys of in the early and mid 90's

Attached: biker mice from mars.jpg (780x1147, 333K)

Original TF has really stupid plots and animation glitches all over the place. Good voices, though.

Pretty much this. I say that though having only seen the handful of episodes CN aired to launch the reboot but it looks like something I totally would've watched if we'd had cable back then.

TMNT is moderately watchable but largely too silly for it's own good.

Transformers bored the hell out of me before they changed it up after the movie. Space/futurism makes everything better. Plus we got Arcee

He-man is post-prime Filmation. They were always kind of on the border with action to begin with but everything after Blackstar was just phoning it in.

Not gonna lie, I still absolutely adore the OG Thundercats, but that's 100% nostalgic bias on my part.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xr5Z2jpzTYk
Written by the late Steve Gerber, this episode gave cartoons a taste of what anime does on a daily basis

TMNT '87 influenced the whole franchise in ways not originally intended (masks, Splinter origin, April, Krang and Dimension X, Bebop and Rocksteady)
It also holds up for the most part, aside from Season 3 being often so bad it's good, in both writing and animation. I dare say, they actually made the Bat Credit Card joke work.

Yes.
Wait, did Thundercats HAVE toys?

Made by LJN the video game company. The toys were pretty good for their time also.

ThunderCats toys were awesome

...they were the reason why the cartoon existed in the first place