Did Pixar Kill 2D Animation?

youtube.com/watch?v=HZRHkYBaRMk
Did Pixar really kill 2d animated movies in the west

Attached: 22221.jpg (640x360, 60K)

I also think the rise of sitcoms and the live action YA/fantasy movie adaptations is what also killed 2D animation

WTF are you talking about?

because they’re a hell of a lot cheaper to make than investing money in an animation studio and you can make plenty of cheap spin-off films from that?

Also, live action films, in general, dominated the box office just as much as animated films. Star Wars, for instance, made a major come-back, which would have severely hindered other studios releasing films during the time. You also have the beginning of the YA film trend that would become overblown during the late 2000’s and early 2010’s, which was triggered by Harry Potter’s phenomenal success. Basically, there were a lot of films going around during the time that Disney animated films had to compete against. Add on top of that the major annual revenue generator - TV shows - were now being dominated by the live action take-over of traditionally cartoon-oriented stations and that spelled the end for 2d animation by the late 2000’s, since they were being crowded out in favor of live action shows, which were cheaper to make.

n animation makes a bulk of there money on kids and families. When Saturday morning cartoons were a huge thing, families were more likely to see 2D films as the default family movie night. With more live action franchises target at children/tweens (including sitcom style shows on "kids" channels) you are seeing kids consume more live action content both as at home entertainment and in the movies. That's where sitcoms connect.

er the board that rates movie honestly has rotating and inconsistent standards anyway based on the politics of the day. You don't actually have to put a movie through the ratings process, but if a movie is unrated people just assume adult content (which isn't necessarily true). But there is no official book of rules that designates the difference between a G and PG or PG and PG13. It's really arbitrary decisions by the ratings board and the studios/filmakers only submit to it as an audience recruitment tool.

he sequel trend had individual good moments as I think the "live action" (but sometimes really just cgi) trend will have moments. I still like the latest Jungle Book "live" remake. But the overall quality of the Disney sequel-itis was so-so with a few somewhat enjoyable moments. And coupled with it were the TV series spinoffs. Some of which were good, but overall were cheap attempts at franchising past Disney films.

Modern audience do not have taste to admire and support 2D animation production.

Stop posting this smelly basedboys videos

You raise some interesting points.

You look like a shill, even if you ain't.

No, Pokemon and anime did.

OH JOY, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS VIDEO SPAMMED IN MY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE NEXT TEN MONTHS.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (480x480, 33K)

He's got a point.
Disney put Winnie the Pooh up against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 and when it failed said "I guess no one wants to see 2D animation anymore!"
It wasn't just a murder it was an organized hit.

>Sabersperg

Of course.

why does he speak like that? is he retarded?

>saberspark

No but seriously, Pixar didn't kill 2d animation. Honestly Shrek and PDI are a better contender for that. The thing is Pixar for a good chunk of its life was a company other film studios thought they couldn't emulate and make profitable, shit Pixar was losing money hand over fist for Steve Jobs until the toy story break through and even then because of how expensive 3d was it didn't make sense to invest in it for purely animated films. That is until PDI came in with Shrek and showed that yes anyone could make a 3d movie and make it profitable.

Couple that with the fact that 3 major animation studios saw economic disaster with their 2d films all around the same time and it just made sense from an economic stand point for film studios to close down the 2d studios and re-invest it 3d.

The perfect storm of failure and success is what killed 2d not one specific company or film

Damn your right. He grumbles every end of the sentence. It feels like an attempt to make his voice sound cool but it only sounds annoying.

What's with the incomplete starts?

And what did princess and the frog compete with?

Avatar, literally the second highest grossing film of all time

Can't say opening weekend, but Avatar came out a week later.

No, that was The Treasure Planet