Kubo deserved the Oscar and if you think otherwise you are retarded

Kubo deserved the Oscar and if you think otherwise you are retarded

Attached: CC0B6BD2-3EF5-4259-940B-B0D1EF365343.png (220x326, 150K)

ehhhhhhhh
what was it up against again?

Zootopia and Inside Out. The latter of which was total Oscar bait.
I also disagree with OP, Kubo wasn't very impressive story-wise.

actually my mistake, inside out wasn't in that one. it was moana

Nah the middle is really iffy and the ending moral of "brainwashing is good" is really out of nowhere tonally for the film.

It was cool visually but the story sucked, especially the ending

beetle dad ruins the whole movie

raven sisters sick ass design was wasted on this film

That's not really what I took away from the ending.

They didn't brainwash the villain, he lost his memories as he fell and lost his "godhood." And instead of killing him or abandoning him out of pointless revenge they granted him a home and accepted him into the community.

If anything I almost felt worse for the aunts, because they were never given a chance to see humanity beyond their father's cruel vision for them.

Attached: Kubo's Aunts.jpg (1280x1866, 650K)

I thought it was visually amazing, but not quite as strong in terms of story as Coraline or Paranorman.

I really loved the start of the movie though. I thought everything regarding Kubo taking care of his catatonic mother and interacting with the village in the intro sequence was great.

Attached: 78584390.jpg (720x405, 19K)

agreed, this movie is magic

Impressive in visual, but the story is quite generic and plain.

The problem with pretty much all of Laika's efforts. Even the good ones like Coraline suffer from pacing issues.

I don't know why but this movie really hit close home for me.

same here. so many people on Yea Forums call in generic but I don't care at all about that, plenty of stories are generic but have heart. This has so much heart that I don't care if it's somewhat generic.

Kubo rushed and fucked up the ending. I'll agree that the Oscars are shit and they just voted for Disney because they didn't watch anything, but Kubo certainly has its faults and I could understand why somebody wouldn't consider it the best animated movie of the year.

Basically every Laika film ever

>the story is quite generic and plain.
For an anime.
For a western animated film it felt pretty fresh to me. Can't say I have seen a cartoon in a while where the entire cast fucking dies outside of the protagonist.

Against which movie Brave won?

It lost to a movie that was plausibly subjectively better. If you want to be angry, remember the year when a bunch of great movies lost to that steaming pile of dogshit Up.

Animation award is worthless anyway, didn't one of the judges at one point admit he just votes for one of Disney movies because he didn't watch any of the nominees?

It's a pretty but boring ass movie. Honestly Aardman seems the only non-big animation company that cares to put some actual effort in writing

Most of the voters probably assumed it was Japanese and didn't watch it because it's not Ghibli. They straight-up admit in their anonymous write-ups about their choices that they almost never watch any Asian animation that isn't Ghibli.

>original concept
>not purely wacky/zany comedy cartoon
>not disney

from a marketing standpoint it was doomed to fail

I liked it and that's all that matters to me.

If you care about the Oscars you are retarded

Studio Laika's biggest mistake that will end up killing them, if not financially then at least creatively, is Travis Knight not directing more films. He and Selick are the only great directors Laika has had.

The ending was shit bro, literally ruined the film and was plenty enough of an excuse to deny it the Oscar.

Just be happy you got nominated for best special effects, that's happened only one other time for an animated film

They're enjoyable movies but
>lol my piece of cheese