Grant Morrison X-Men

About to start reading this run. What am I in for?

Attached: New_X-Men_114.jpg (254x393, 34K)

the worst a franchise has to offer

A good time

the best a franchise has to offer

generally pretty fun, but the love triangle wasn't really necessary

It has its ups and downs.

Edge that doesn't hold up and atrocious art. Whedon's was better.

Good art and the best X-Men outfit designs

One of the best X-Men runs ever.

It sucked, only Morrison fags, Emmafags and Scemma shippers like it.
He wrote the most retarded portrayal of Magneto on the history of the franchice.
And worts thing was that stupid love triangle/square was a huge disservice to all the characters involved.
Fuck that overrated hack.

I haven't read Morrison's, but Whedon's was pure shit after the first arc

Being butthurt if you're Claremont era fan.

Starts out strong and good up to the final arc, then everything falls apart fast. Alot of it has to do with how editorial kept making morrison change shit. Basically morrison got pissy cause he couldn't do what he wanted and shat on the script.

I'm a huge Morrisonfag, but I didn't find it to be interesting for some reason. It was too tame by Morrison standards. I dropped it after the arc where Cassandra in Charles's body was killed. It was fun and interesting, but not great enough for me to keep going. But, X-men has never been my thing. Ive read the important stories of Claremont, like God loves man kills, Dark Phoenix and Future past, and even that didn't grasp me. Hickman's run on the other has me more intrigued in two issues. I also liked Remender's run(I've only read the first arc) and would be continuing it later.

best costumes for sure hope the mcus are similiar

This is the biggest problem with x-men. Everyone wants another calermount. This is why x-men has suffered and gone no where for so long. And as for forced love triangles, Claremont had plenty of those. More than any other writer. But nostalgia makes one blind to any criticism.

What did he want to do?

I liked it, but my favorite X-Men media is Singer's films.

>Claremont
So this is the run I should read to get into X-Men?

Start with Kirby.

Pretty much, it basically defined what the X-Men were going forward.

I loved it, I would have liked to see more of his ideas play out.

Unironically, he's the best Emma Frost writer ever.

>What am I in for?
Professor X's never born fetal twin sister had been living on the astral plane ever since he defeated her in the womb. She ends up learning how to manifest a physical body, tricks one of Bolivar Trask's cousins into meeting with her, and then kills him after memorizing his DNA so she can use it to command the sentinels. She then genocides 16 million mutants.
She attacks Professor X after and it looks like he shoots and kills her but really she switched bodies with him and then shot her own body while Professor X was inside it.
She goes on to fuck with the Shiar and otherwise cause trouble for everyone while inside Professor X's body until Jean is able to get his consciousness back.
The 'Kick' drug a bunch of the Xavier school kids are on is really the ancient sentient bacterial colony John Sublime. He's revealed to have been the original cause of human suspicion and prejudice against mutants because mutants aren't susceptible to infection by him.
Xorn, introduced as mutant with a compact star for a brain ends up being Magneto.

still better than Grant's

Honestly? An overrated run.

Extramarital affairs and teen pregnancy with mutant bird fly babies.

The last time the X-Men was actually interesting.

One of the best runs, and what defined the x men franchise for a decade. He is required reading for modern x men fans. The only runs since that have compared in quality are Whedon’s and Remender’s. If you want some modern fun that doesn’t need the same quality you could try Gillen’s run or Carey’s X-Men Legacy.

It's frustrating how they switched from Quitely and Van Sciver's fantastic art to this ugly turd.

Attached: RCO160_w.jpg (1008x1600, 599K)

I didn’t really like any of the art in the run.

The only time the franchise has experienced any meaningful growth in terms of themes, characterization, or topics since Claremont. The only three X-Men runs worth reading are Claremont, Morrison, and Whedon. We’ll see if Hickman makes it four. Everyone else just does a shitty Claremont impression.

>A decade
Marvel undid everything Morrison set up except ScottxEmma (because they love their ducking relationship drama) the minute Morrison left with House of M.

I like how if you put the logo upside down it still says New X-men
Kind of like the number 52 if you see it on a calculator

OP here
On the issue with Scott sky diving, I think it's pretty good so far. Emma and Beast are a lot more fun that I expected.

how can you be so gay?

overall, a mixed bag. generally cool art and interesting ideas, but characterizations can get super inconsistent and puzzling. there's times when something very grave and serious will be going on and characters will act however morrison wanted them to act at that moment despite how weird it seems in that situation. it makes for more of an aesthetic experience than super captivating comic reading. there's sort of this thing going on throughout the run similar to hickman's style where cosmic/"psychological" shit is going on that's never totally explained and instead we just shift on to the next thing. popcorn-y.
it's true that house of m upturns a lot of what morrison set up, but many of his original characters have gone on to populate all the x-books since. clearly a lot of them are set to appear prominently in HoX/PoX
it's worth it to check out a COUPLE ishes of the lee/kirby run, whichever ones seem interesting to you, but claremont's debut with giant size is where shit starts to get good issue-to-issue

Attached: cyclops pinup.jpg (1120x1600, 342K)

damn u think they did that on porpoise

god damn it, Morrisonfags are terrible. The artist is good but a terrible fit for X-Men and unironically EVS was the best artist for the book, partly cause he had fun and hid the word SEX all over the pages.
the costumes were fucking aweful though. You sound like Yea Forums fags trying to say way comicbook costumes are bad. Whedon showed in one fucking page why all this was a terrible idea and went back to actual costumes. Cassaday/Whedon >>>>> Morrison>all the shit artists and Quietly who should never have been on the book

>Kyle Yost
>David Hine
>Si Spurrier
>Mike Carey
how does it feel to have such shit taste?

I like it more than his JLA at the moment

>implying these costumes aren't /fa/ as fuck
I've got no issue with the original costumes, but I prefer the team to have a unifying look.

Attached: Frank-Quitely.jpg (1280x745, 429K)

Quitely's art is the biggest pleb filter

this is aweful costuming
fuck off, Quietly is good when he does indie stuff but his X-Men work was utter shit.

>The artist is good but a terrible fit for X-Men
Expand please? Who do you consider a good X-artist?

there are a lot, Alan Davis, Sienkiewicz and Silvestri are my favs from the old era. the main problem with Quietly is that he didn't seem to understand the characters well and just made them as ugly as possible to try and overshadow how he gave the characters very few expressions.

I’ll pass on Yost and Hine, bad examples IMO. Carey was great though. Spurrier was incredible, but he was always writing self contained side books, so I’m not sure you can describe him as the author of a great x-men run. Honestly Carey only got really good when he was writing Legacy either.

They undid the mutant species flourishing. They didn’t undo the massive shift in characterization for much of the cast, a publicly mutant school run by Scott and Emma, much of the new tone x men stories would take, or the massive new cast of characters introduced.

You haven’t read much X-Men I take it

Some of Morrison’s additions work well in the original Claremont plan where anti-mutant hatred dies down after #300 and the defeat of the Shadow King, but not after what we got which was a constant escalation of genocide.

Speaking of Morrison's run, why did Wolverine have a goatee for literally one scene?

It's like Frank Quitely drew something on bath salts.

A fantastic comic that X-faggots don't appreciate nor deserve

>Whedon showed in one fucking page why all this was a terrible idea
God you people are the fucking worst.
>hurr there can only ever be ONE interpretation and nothing else will do it!
Both were good, for different reasons. You idiots only think in binary

An absolutely based book, I am wondering why everyone on Yea Forums decided to read New X-Men. Did something happen recently

Hickman's run is kind of like the spiritual sequel so it, so people are taking a refresher course.

fuck I just wanted to see what a love triangle in cape comics looked like

new hickman X-books just released, people are catching up with what they've missed

I am fine with multiple interpretations of X-Men, and his idea kept up with X-Force to some degree. But it was a terrible idea for the X-Men to stop being superheroes

They never stopped being superheroes

Seriously, you think they stopped being super heroes because they weren't all wearing unique costumes? They never stopped being heroes, and that is ridiculous.

Just read the run and I loved Emma. She was probably the highlight of this run.

Yeah Morrison writes a great Emma. And also his Emma Junior creations, the Stepford Cuckoos. Any scene with the 6 of them was a treat,

Was she based on anyone? A lot of times, he bases characters and dialog on people he knows in real life.

She's "snarky English lass." AKA every female character Warren Ellis has ever written. Even when they aren't English you end up reading their dialog in an accent because of the snark

I didn't like how he didn't fix the problems 90s X-Men had but doubled down on them and dressed them up in 2000s style.
I just want the god-damn saga to end, not to be dragged out with another hamfisted metaphor for minorities.

I fucking love the jacket from this run.

Attached: The Bois.jpg (1556x695, 123K)

I will say that is the biggest problem from the run

it does what Morrison is good at, drawing archetypes and symbols from every era of the franchise's history and remixing it into a new narrative. Some Claremont fans hate it because he doesn't just go off Claremont's characterization and continue Claremont's plotlines, but draws as much from the Lee/Kirby and Roy Thomas eras of the X-Men.

So what are the favorite moments/ characterizations/plots from the run?

I am doing this stupid fanfic thing and I want to know what parts of Morrison's run people really liked and didn't like.

I have a jacket that's similar in design minus the "X" and the 2 bands on the sleeve. But reading the comic run did convince me to get the Xorn action figure

Brilliant design

I haven't read this thing in a decade so I'm going to try to reach into my brain and remember what I liked. I remember liking it a lot but specific details I can't remember. which is good because my next read will be more fresh.

>nuking genosha was cool
>stepford cuckoos were awesome
>love triangle was great. love square?
>cassandra nova was a cool villain
>sublime was cool
>the issue that takes place in the future was cool
>fantomex and the world stuff was cool
>magneto going crazy and killing everyone was cool. I thought it made sense because of genosha he went nuts. good enough for me, and a good twist
Can't remember anything else . I should reread my omnibus I really love this run . this and x-statix are my two favorite x books

Emma cucking Jean is great.

What's the deal with Quentin Quire, why do people like him?

I liked the class room antics of Beak and the rest of the burn out 'freak' mutants. The emphasis on an emerging mutant sub-culture was nice as well as other sci-fi concepts like day trips to the Shi'ar Empire.

I didn't care for Morrison turning Beast into a milquetoast pussy. I liked the World stuff but don't like Fantomex as a character.

God knows, I always thought he was an irritating fag.

How does an artist this shitty get a job on a huge title? This fucking sucks.

I think this is an example of the biggest issue with the Morrison uniforms. You don't redesign everyone to unify their aesthetics then immediately break the unified aesthetic. You want actual uniforms? Then everyone wears the same jacket, Logan puts a shirt on, and Emma stops dressing in uncomfortable looking fetishwear.

Kordey was hired on to substitute for Quietly one week before the pencils on his first issue needed to be submitted.

That makes a lot more sense.

Morrison's run was interesting at the time but Sublime should've died the moment Grant left Marvel

Is it true that Cassandra Nova was a re-purposed Shadow King?

>>nuking genosha was cool
genocide just suddenly happening off panel was shit. There was no build up at all it was just suddenly SENTINALS KILL EVERYONE CAUSE SHOCK VALUE
>>stepford cuckoos were awesome
agreed, probably his best invention
>>love triangle was great. love square?
not his invention but it was nice to finally have it all play out rather than teased before, but that is more that Marvel was bad at holding it back before
>>cassandra nova was a cool villain
Agreed 100% on this, she was great
>>sublime was cool
fucking terrible. The editor that let this through didn't understand what the X-Men were
>>the issue that takes place in the future was cool
eh, it was worse than most of the future time line stuff, including the 90s stuff. It wasn't terrible though
>>fantomex and the world stuff was cool
Fantomex is a good character but Morrison didn't make him interesting, it took further writers to develop him. still, inventing a concept of a cool character is a point
>>magneto going crazy and killing everyone was cool. I thought it made sense because of genosha he went nuts. good enough for me, and a good twist
Magneto was handled the worst out of everything. He just copied Lobdell and made it somehow WORSE than Fatal Attractions. He totally messed up the whole Xorn arc and it makes no fucking sense that he was magneto

>inventing a concept of a cool character is a point
That's pure Bendis, user. Morrison's intent with Fantomex from the beginning was, "Hey, you like this cool guy? Fuck you."

Probably. The reason why Emma can suddenly turn into diamonds is because they wouldn't let him resurrect Colossus and he didn't want to use any of the other bricks.

I on't like Morison because he started the whole humanity is going to go extinct in 4 generations malarkey, which Hickman seems to be running with and never seemed to be borne out in the rate new writers made new mutant characters.
It was a cheap excuse to write more genocide plots and turned the X-Men into some destined secret club instead of a superhero team. Where the cool kids destined to inherit the world hang out instead of doing superhero things. And seemed to run against the previous 30+ years of the X-Men being heroes to all.
A projection of a "normies get out" power-fantasy. As opposed to the general power-fantasy of superheroes comics.

Reading Morrison's pitch/concept notes, it really seems like he was trying to go for a Hitler Youth chic with the X-Men. It also reads kinda hilariously, "How do, fellow kids."

Are they available somewhere?

>It also reads kinda hilariously, "How do, fellow kids."

He's been doing that since the Invisibles. The tone is especially evident in his responses in the fan letters section.

This isn't strictly related to Grant Morison, but since this is an X-Thread. Was Fatal Attraction planned to happen or was it some shit that an editor or writer decided to throw into the series when it was their turn to make the decisions?

This inconsistent and bad art ruined the run. I'd give quitely a 2 year head start to finish the whole run

t. Claremont

worst X-men runs
>Rosenburg
>Austen
>Morrison

morrison is a great pleb filter

true that magneto's crazy streak is justifiable after the genoshacide (the rest of the cast's reactions seem too mild after the deaths of 16mil mutants..) BUT
the love triangle is one of the worst things about this run
even though emma and scott would go on to be a good pair, morrison really forced getting them together. none of it was ever that convincing.
didn't know about the emma/colossus thing, that's esp funny cause whedon got to bring colossus back right away in the next run
agreed, the human "extinction gene" has never made sense or been interesting. hope hickman handles it freshly

fucking pleb

I came up with a cool idea, what if secondary mutations are what push the ugly/useless mutations into something better? That creates a dilemma between staying who you are or deliberately overload yourself/others to achieve a more powerful/aesthetic form.

And because I hate animal-face beast, he ingests whatever thing made him revert back to his initial form in X-Factor except it only reverts him back to being blue-furred.

>none of it was ever that convincing.

It's called developing a midlife crisis after being merged with Apocalypse for like six months.

Should Colossus have stayed dead?

Starts out really strong with some of the franchises's best story arcs, but turns stupid and convoluted towards the end.

>the love triangle is one of the worst things about this run
even though emma and scott would go on to be a good pair, morrison really forced getting them together. none of it was ever that convincing.
I read it and I thought it was convincing, It was also the first x-men run I've read.

>It's stupid and convoluted because I didn't understand it

Fixed.

why are there so many threads that seek hivemind approval? "what am I in for?" "did I like this?" why not just read it and forge your own opinion?

>y-you just don't get it!
No. I prefectly well understand what he was going for, it was just dumb as fuck.

Go back to your boomer telenovelas, Claremontfag.

But it's not Austen or Bendis X-men

Significant drop in quality around Assault on Weapon Plus

Long-established characters shouldn’t die in the first place.

A great run that gets purposely cratered at the end.

Thanks for the dubs, user. For me, I like the Roy Thomas issues and Grant made me love Emma Frost.

Xorn is magneto.
There now you can won't hate it like I do.

Xorn could have been fucking great.

Does anyone else think the core team should have been made up of more physical mutants? Beast is the only one who really looks mutated

This is tangent, but since this is discussing the X-Men

Did Claremont come up with Apocalyse and X-Cutioner/the Legacy Virus? They don’t seem to fit into all his stated plans for the X-Men which he freely shared in interviews but they were really important to 90s X-Men.

Xorn was too beautiful of a lie.

How would the series have gone if Xorn wasn’t Magneto?

Bump

>biggest issue with the Morrison uniforms.
It isn't a issue tho. The aesthetic is not broke, you have various alteration of it, while keeping it uniform.

Claremont left in 1991. None of the stuff you mentioned he created

Austen and Bendis > Morrison

Apocalypse showed up in Simonsons X-Factor which happened the same time as Claremont