Is Rick a Mary Sue?

Is Rick a Mary Sue?

Attached: rick-sanchez.jpg (970x545, 96K)

he's a faggot, that's for sure

/thread

Gary Stus don't exist.

That would make him a Gary Stu.
You fucking normies are killing this board.

Does ‘Mary/Gary Stu’ even mean anything anymore? It implies that the character in question has no faults.

Gary Stu

He is a Gary stu

No
He's flawed and gets BTFO by his Pyrrhic victories.

Why have being confused "being really powerful" with "being a mary sue?"

Attached: konosuba aqua.jpg (1200x993, 230K)

Here’s a scary thought: what if these people don’t think being an abrasive asshole that regularly abuses substances is deeply unhappy and completely dysfunctional ISN’T a bad thing?

It's not so much "no faults" as much as "no meaningful faults". A Mary Sue can easily have faults, especially ones designed to make them more sympathetic, but these faults will never actually be an issue.

No, because what R&M’s autistic fanbase doesn’t get is that Rick’s the bad guy. Ever since he entered the Smith’s lives, Jerry got divorced, Beth possibly abandoned her kids and became incredibly unstable, Morty’s got PTSD and Summer has become unhealthily attached to him just like her mother.

All those were his fault. Everything would be fine and dandy if he just didn’t exist, the Earth would actually be helped along by an intergalactic space UN if it weren’t for him being such a parasite in their lives. He’s noone to look up to either, he’s depressed, sociopathic and most importantly - an idiot.

He justifies any and all of his actions because he claims to know better than anyone else. That was his logic with Beth: “you’re smart like me, therefore it’s ok to abandon your kids like I abandoned you”. He complains about how miserable life is when you’re smart without realising that’s not what causes it. It’s terrible to him because he’s a terrible person.

Being smart isn’t an excuse to be a dick, or to be depressed, or to think your life means more than someone else’s. The only happy ending the show’s story can have is if their family realises this and gets rid of him for good.

And Rick’s numerous character flaws are constantly an issue. Therefor, he isn’t a Gary Stu.

He lucks out and produces macguffins a little too often to get out of lethal situations though.

No, because despite several gary-stu-like tendencies, Harmon ultimately hates himself too much to give his snarky super intelligent and cynical self-insert no flaws. Rick is repeatedly called out for being a mooch on the family’s finances, he’s shown to be a toxic influence on his family, his alcoholism and difficulties forming relationships drive him nearly to suicide, and he is called out by the therapist for conflating his intelligence with his sickness, when the truth is that he doesn’t want to do the hard, boring work of fixing himself, and would rather just go on adventures. Rick is a powerful but awful and volatile person, and the series usually knows it.

Like, the fact that he was shocked that Beth DIDN’T abandon her kids tells you everything you need to know about Rick.

And he’s directly responsible for millions, if not billions, of lives. And he’s ruined the lives of far more than he’s killed, and neither of those numbers compare to those he’s killed, maimed or ruined indirectly. He’s ruined his family’s lives, he’s destroyed entire civilizations single-handedly...like...are these not character flaws to you? Are you okay?

Nope, seems perfectly in character for Rick.

Right. Which is why he isn’t a Gary Stu.

>Gary Stu
Out with that faggot shit, Mary Sue is unisex term.
Trying to force shit like Gary Stu and Marty Sue is fucking retarded.

Smart lad: Mary sue = flawless insert fanfic
Casual: Mary sue = OP character
Retard: Mary sue = a character that I dont like

Attached: EwHswLC.jpg (1012x675, 115K)

>Mary Sue
He's an elder drunk man that aknowledged how he's an asshole that wasted his life, the only reason why he refuse to change is because he's already too old for it and almost everyone hates him except his family and people that he saved.

Anyone saying that he's a mary sue is unironically retarded. Sure he's smart but no more than The Doctor or Reed Richards.

>gary stu
Holy fuck, eat shit and die. Leave that gender equality nonsense on TV tropes where you found it.

>all these gary stu posts
I want the zoomers to leave

>Reed Richards
Not THAT is a Mary Sue.

Look man, your mom won’t leave my dick alone, and if I’ve gotta keep fucking her you gotta...where was I going with this?

No. He has personality flaws that are treated as such, which disqualifies him by default.
That doesn't mean he is or isn't a shit character, but shit character doesn't equal Mary Sue.

I blame Rey. Don't get me wrong, she IS a textbook Sue, but a lot of people assume it's because of her retarded and inexplicable skill set, rather than being treated as a perfect being everyone's obsessed over.

But he’s ok as a Mary Sue because he’s the insufferable, chad villian to Doom being the betacuck hero

No, a Mary Sue is a character that's a wish fulfillment character in an ensemble or series.

Its why if Rey, one of the more notable Mary Sues had been created for an original series for her to star in she would have still been a self insert wish fulfillment but not a Mary Sue.

The original Mary Sue was apparently some cringe fanfic about a character called Mary Sue joining the Enterprise and she was good at everything and everybody loved her.

not really.
sometimes he can get hurt and other times he is nearly invincible.

desu rick peaked in the early episodes where he was incoherent half the time.
"Senile Doc Brown" is a lot funnier than "nihilistic Dr. Who"

R&M wasn’t built to last more than a season, especially cause those episodes feel like they’d get old. 13 and done would’ve been legendary

hell yeah there is. Arnold swarzenegger in virtually everymovie he's ever been in throughout the 80's through the mid 90's was a Gary Stu, Bruce Willis in Die Hard is a Gary Stu, Liam Nesson's roles in action films are Gary Stus. Jason Bourne is a Gary Stu, Denzel Washington is certainly a Gary Stu in the action movies he stars in. Hell, the Equalizer is the epitomy of a Gary Stu.

I do not know, my main problem with S3 was these two episodes,how a man with enough intelligence to compete against an entire nation at the technological-arms level being silenced by a psychologist from a shopping center?
one part my brain tries to justify it by saying that Rick was weak on that side because he was more focused on the first point but ... it's a patent excuse, isn't it?

Attached: r.png (1280x1896, 986K)

>being a great engineer means that you will be better at psychology than an actual psychologist even though you openly avoided ever reading about it

He's an asshole.

he always has a solution but hes miserable, hes kind of a mary sue but totally unhappy

Season 1, no.
Season 2, sometimes.
Season 3, yes.

I mean, it is one thing to be a great engineer and another very different is to be a genius at the level of Rick, and it is obvious that he has studied psychology I doubt that he could not think of something against what psychology told him

Definitely. That Rick was a lot more relatable and like he was actually in danger. Dr Who is a really good comparison.

He is shown as always right. He also gets out of every lick of trouble easily. He also is the voice for one of the writers more often than not. So the logic were he isn't some shitty self insert is moot.

You rick and morty fags are delusional.

to be fair, we was also a almost dead pickle at the time. he might just not have had the energy needed to come up with a good argument.

No, but it's ok to hate him

>He is shown as always right.
He is shown as wrong several times, like Pickle Rick
>He also gets out of every lick of trouble easily.
Again no, he couldn't fix Morty original dimension so he simply fleed to an alternate timeline. In the parasite episode Morty figured out their weakness, in the evil Rick episode he was again saved by Morty.

Eh...define, energy needed, had the necessary energy to say the first but not think of an answer?
See? the show always makes you look for a way to justify Rick

bruh if you where at deaths door, or even just in a fuckton of pain, do you think you could come up with a full on logical discussion about your mental wellness?

>and it is obvious that he has studied psychology
He straight up said that he thinks that bullshit and is not interested on it at all.

>he was shown as always right
He usually is on point about maliciousness, but you can simply apply the old saying "takes one to know one", if that bothers you. Beyond that, he's consistently a suicidal fuck-up, even in season 3 where he's at his most blatantly powerful.

>he gets out of trouble easily
He has to abandon entire dimensions, that's not easy.

>he's the voice of the writer
No, that's literally Bird Person.
What

Attached: aquafan.jpg (1169x826, 189K)

no, in fact, I could hardly think, but Rick could say something and then be quiet, that's the point, Rick is unstoppable at the physical level but at the mental level it is almost incompressible as he is so weak in that part(and it is worse if they think it is almost certain that he had a psychological training, he knew how to make Summer return in only about 3 weeks), that scene It was only made to show that "Rick is not perfect" but all he does is think that Rick is so smart that he is toxic and toxic with everyone for that reason, that is not Rick's fault, it is from his brain, it is also more likely that "I'm going to die" just be a lie, he was long without the serum

>He has to abandon entire dimensions, that's not easy.
That's not a point against him since it doesn't harm him in any way. It hurts other people he doesn't care about.

>No, that's literally Bird Person.
The voice of the writer is (effectively) dead?

There are comics for the show, right? How is he in those?

>That's not a point against him since it doesn't harm him in any way
The episode was all about him being forced to admit that he can't fix everything.

I believe the comics follow another Rick.

no

>He is shown as always right.
You might want to watch the show?

sniff sniif

>how a man with enough intelligence to compete against an entire nation at the technological-arms level being silenced by a psychologist from a shopping center?
For the same reason the co-creator and head writer of one of the most popular cartoons on contemporary [AS] couldn't stop his hambeast of a wife from divorcing him.

Maybe you'll understand when you're older.

Rick isnt just an engineer he's unmatched in every category, this one failure really stands out.