In retrospect, was this design that bad for the green goblin?

In retrospect, was this design that bad for the green goblin?

Attached: 3313E973-F984-4E4A-B261-77A46EF41E11.jpg (1105x1400, 218K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W8PVMT2AmWE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There was no way to have a comics accurate green goblin without it looking retarded in 2001.

Maybe with mocap dots on an actors face with cgi it could work nowadays

Could be worse

Attached: D9AD55B8-DF55-45C5-A7F0-22578D0A846B.jpg (720x363, 28K)

This was the original Goblin design for that film and it didn't look retarded at all especially if they would have darkened the green just a bit and shortened the tips of the ears.

youtube.com/watch?v=W8PVMT2AmWE

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-24-04-06-59.png (1080x1920, 885K)

The glider is great.
The suit is OK but desperately needs some purple or black to great up the green.
Mask the poor.

No, it worked just fine. It highlighted the scientific origin of his powers.

how do you explain it in-universe though?

Norman really likes Halloween

Isn't that the question of the day?

Chemicals? I think people overthink explaining the origin of the design when they should just say “fuck it”, it’ll certainly make fans happier

He had all the masks in his apartment, dude just really likes fucked up masks.

yes, it was bad.

I can't wait for MCU to give us a good Green Goblin adaptation.

Attached: the mocap suit was even better.png (1200x675, 1.06M)

Yes, it looks like it tries to make a goofy design into something not so goofy and fails at it. Sometimes it's better to just embrace the camp.

It was lame but adequate. Glider and gadgets were great though.

The mask was never explained, but the armor was, which ends up making them both stupid. If his costume needs an explanation, then his mask does too. Why doesn't military armor have a helmet? Why does he make/find/use a goblin mask, if it's combat armor? If the helmet IS part of the armor that they decided to make gobliny... Why not make the whole outfit look gobliny?

It's like they were too chicken to go full comics goblin but couldn't decide how to handle the mask, so they just half-assed it and slapped it on an armor suit.

no and it fits well even today. looks like an iron man like suit which would be at home in the MCU

We can have a faithful Goblin design without it being campy/goofy/silly.

Pic related. Concept Alex Ross did for a movie Goblin. Aside from the legs it looks great & genuinely menacing.
Make the hood and main outfit dark purple and the goblin skin dark green (notably darker then mcu Hulk or Gamora), give the legs armor (like rustic knight armor not military) and it would be about perfect.

Sorry forgot pic.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-24-04-50-17.png (1080x1920, 875K)

>108912563
(You)

Attached: 1561515090995.png (680x513, 200K)

Looks more like the hobgoblin desu

>the mocap suit was even better.

Attached: 130221984383.jpg (600x578, 49K)

>The suit is OK but desperately needs some purple
He had purple.

Attached: 23492606_6.jpg (1200x720, 68K)

They didn’t use it specifically because they couldn’t get it to work with dialogue

I prefer this one over the comic book design

SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

I actually kind of like the suit, in a time capsule sort of way. That first Spider-Man movie is mostly timeless, but the Goblin suit sticks out like a sore thumb as a relic of then-current movie making trends- the minute it's on screen, you can identify the movie as one that was made in 2002.

It's kind of like X-Men 2000 and those silly leather tacticool uniforms in that way.

Attached: MV5BODBmMGE4ZmQtZGY1NC00ZGFjLWIwYmQtYWU2ZTcwZTljMGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExNzU4ODQ@._V1_.jpg (509x755, 81K)

I fucking loved it and still do- that said, the concept animatronic mask was cool too- it'd be neat if someone just added SOME purple to that costume instead of him being full green- just a bag for the extra gadgets- and a hooded purple cowl.

The armor still looks nice. It kinda predicted the "tacticool armor" fashion that comic book characters have adopted nowadays. But that mask looks fucking awful.

I actually like it pretty well,

Yeah, it's pretty awful, with it being shiny and all. But Willem Dafoe does a great job with the character, enough that the stupid looking armor becomes irrelevant.

However, Jesus fuck
Have him absentmindedly draw some shit during a meeting
He likes masks

that's some shitty glider, but the sword is okay

God, MCUsterio looks so amazing.

Attached: YOUKNOWIMRIGHT.jpg (1200x632, 99K)

A little more purple would have been nice

What do you mean? It's a latex mask Norman wears to get in-character as the other voice in his head, the Goblin.

Isn't that just lighting?

it looks pretty silly but Defoe sells it for me

>embrace the camp

Y'know that thing that Raimi films usually avoid.

Yup.

MISERY
MISERY
MISERY
THAT'S WHAT YOU'VE CHOSEN!

Better than the comics. The comic one wasnt scary or even intimidating. Only edgy artwork makes that even happen.

Fuck man give me Hobgoblin in a movie already. He's much cooler than stinkin Norman.

IMO it looked better than even the comics portrayed him after the movie. The open mouth is kabuki levels of artistic license but everything else felt fine.

Here is the Original mask colored.
By me.

Attached: PSX_20190724_100827.jpg (940x494, 133K)