Best Current DC Comics?

Also how is Batman? I am hearing a lot of positive and negative things.

Attached: oj8rc9p2svb31.jpg (538x818, 63K)

Kings Batman is probably worth reading for yourself because it's very divisive. I've heard good things about Detective Comics as solid Bataction. There are probably other Batcomics I'm forgetting

Attached: BATMAN81-CVR-color.jpg (738x1120, 149K)

>I am hearing a lot of positive
Hahahaha, good one

Only shills and idiots praise King’s Batman

The best current ones would be Morrison GL, JL Dark, Detective Comics, Dial H for Hero, Wonder Twins, Deathstroke, Outsiders and the Sandman stuff. Superman and Action Comics went to shit once Bendis took over, his Naomi book was boring despite the neat art, King’s Batman has been a mess post- Night of the Monster Men, and the rest are just kinda there. Not all bad but not all great, just meh. Wonder Woman is ok and so is Aquaman. King’s Batman has just meandered a lot. The Bane plot makes no sense, Catwoman’s importance feels very forced and overdramatic, Batman acts like a robot most of the time, the Batfamily is fucking nowhere to be seen, and a lot of characters don’t act like they would. There’s some neat moments but it can’t save a messy story. I get what King is trying to do, but it’s not working with Batman, and it sure as hell didn’t work in Heroes in Crisis either. King’s depressing, somber and kind of broken stories work best in situations like those one Vision, Mister Miracle or The Omega Men. He kinda sucks at doing these long and overarching continuity stories, but he does well in mostly self contained short stories, especially with lesser known characters with room to experiment. With Batman, what King is doing has been before and done better. Idk, I like King, just not on Batman.

Literally only one book coming out of DC can be called truly good: Green Lantern

>Kings Batman is probably worth reading for yourself because it's very divisive

reads it is shitty

Deathstroke (ends in December I believe)
The Wild Storm just finished and was really good
Green Lantern is wonderful and gets out of the John's rainbow tapestry to tell some proper lantern sci-fi
Batman: Last Knight on Earth is the finale of Snyder on Batman for a while. First issue was great
Big fan of Doom Patrol. Read Doom Patrol 1-12, Milk Wars, and then the new DP series Weight of the Worlds
It's finished, but I really liked Scooby Apocalypse
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen came out last week and was a phenomenal first issue

I'm hate reading Justice Leagu Dark for my Zatanna fix
Justice League by Snyder is divisive
I think the dialogue part of the writing is awful but the scenes he comes up with and how the art portrays that rules. It is full of that DC Comics Crisis Bullshit and i love that stuff

Forgot to say Wonder Twins and Dial H. Both are super fun, smart, and highly inventive. Breath of fresh air for DC

>highly inventive

And Wonder Twins

It’s really not. It’s just a Saturday morning cartoon was some alright-by-comics-standards comedy (and some very forgettable artwork). Truly good is a book that’s remembered and recommended for years to come. That’s why I say Moz GL is the only title to fit this description

I don't know. Olsen wasn't that good for me. The tease in the leviathan book was good, it had a little pulp-y feel, but this felt too non-superheroicy. Not that I expect jimmy to be a superhero, but the narratives, aesthetics, they very much didn't fit with what you expect on average from the escapist powerfantasies that superheroes tend to be. Even if Jimmy has no powers, the approach could still have been in the escapist direction, rather than whatever that was.
It honestly felt like something that someone who has to write about a character in a superhero universe, without liking superheroes that much would write.
Are all of Fractions works like this?
I heavily dislike both Hawkeyes as characters, so I didn't really plan to read his works with Clint, but I have heard them hailed a lot, so I was at least considering it. But if that's how Fraction always is, I'll just avoid it.

>Are all of Fractions works like this?
yes

Ew. Why isn't he writing indie stuff then? He's clearly ill suited for superhero stuff. I hate it when people that don't like what separates cape-stuff from non cape stuff choose to write cape stuff.

>but the narratives, aesthetics, they very much didn't fit with what you expect on average from the escapist powerfantasies that superheroes tend to be
I think that's kind of the point. I dunno. As a reader I value superhero comics that push the mold and explore different genres and forms within the superhero framework. Why would I want to read another run of superhero foils supervillain plot and punches them real hard. It's not supposed to be on average for a superhero book.
I get the point about how it seems like he doesn't like superheroes all that much, but you might also look at the other side of that coin and think that maybe he's not interested in telling the same old story and wants to do something different with it?

Dr Fate has an ok run

Attached: 01213B26-D395-45FC-A853-DA8A7C48A778.jpg (1024x1536, 253K)

This. Some people just want Saturday morning cartoons over and over

Well, yeah. I got into superheroes precisely for the stuff that separates them from the rest of the stuff out there, in terms of narrative and aesthetics. Something more "regular" I can get elsewhere too. Pushing the medium would be bringing in new things that expand on the strengths of the medium, or maybe something fully new altogether.
Something that already exists elsewhere, just retold within a superhero universe isn't pushing for something new. It's diluting the genre.

Green Lantern, Deathstroke, Wonder Twins, Action/Leviathan in that order

*diluting the medium.

>ill suited
immortal iron fist, invincible iron Man, hawkeye: all acclaimed runs . He’s better suited than a lot of the hacks who manage to still get work

Superheroes aren’t a genre you dunce

I said medium many times and the one time I said genre, I corrected myself right after I saw it, come on.

Acclaimed means jack shit. King is acclaimed too.

King’s Batman has a very strong start, but gradually declines in quality from about the third volume on. The art has been plenty decent though. The marriage fakeout made me drop buying it, and I’ve only read it when I catch storytimes since.

Saying it “dilutes” the medium makes even less sense. You think more variety of experience “dilutes” an art form? Who even talks about art like that? Variety STRENGTHENS an art form, it doesn’t weaken it.

Not necessarily. Unless you think an opera house taking a break from performances once a week to have a special night when they just give the audience texts of the lyrics without music, along with bowls with meatballs to eat strengthens the opera art form too.

>The good:
Justice League
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
The Flash
Detective Comics
>The "can be good"
Superman
Action Comics
Nightwing
Red Hood
Batgirl
Supergirl
>The refuses to be good
Teen titans
>The has no excuse for being shit while also being kinda good in spots but is mainly shit
Batman
>The god tier
Aquaman
Literally can not believe how much I am loving Aquaman its so far off from my typical tastes but its my fav pull every week.

Some vertigo stuff is good, these are the only series i regularly read or torrent, I wanted to like JL Dark and Odyssey but it just doesn't hit for me

Attached: hohohoho.png (944x462, 923K)

If that’s the analogy you want to use I’m not even going to bother arguing with you

Fractions run is very good I would recommend forcing yourself to read vol.1
You will either have no opinion or completely love it
At worst nothing happens
Best you get a new GOAT book.

>Best current DC comics
Morrison's Green Lantern. It actually reads like one of those old timey Tintin comics but with the insane setting that is science fiction space. And Hal is 100% done fucking around.

>Batman
Universally hated even outside Yea Forums, from what I can tell.

That's how I feel when writers take such approaches, user. The lyrics might be beautiful and the meatballs tasty, but that's not why I go to the opera.

detective comics has been pretty good these days which is nice considering how garbage kin's batman is

>not one mention of The Terrifics
Disgusting

The Green Lantern
Deathstroke
Justice League Odyssey
Justice League to a lesser extent