>Atlantis: great
>Lilo and Stitch: amazing
>Treasure Planet: amazing
>Brother Bear: good
>Home on the Range: awful
>Chicken Little: mediocre
>Meet the Robinsons: great
>Bolt: great

Why is this called the 'Dark Age' of Disney again? It has way more hits than misses, about the same ratio as the Renaissance and the current era.

Why is this group of films always singled out?

Attached: e7d5245081cef935886cce84783b1a9746f55b3c_hq.jpg (750x411, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

its-not-its.info/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's to bad to be a dark age, so they just call it the "age of experiment". The actual dark age was pretty comfy.

You forgot G-Force.

Attached: 93D14754-6607-4673-8C88-D2E435C228ED.png (500x522, 162K)

The renaissance of animation in general started in 1988 and ended around 2006.

For your post, Fantasia 2000 - Treasure Planet is not the same thing as Brother Bear - Bolt.

Not part of the canon. Although for some reason that movie really sticks in my head for blowing my mind as a child, since it's the only Disney movie (to my knowledge) where the goofy comic relief turns out to be the mastermind the whole time. THAT was a decent twist.

Why 2006 specifically?

and how many of those films actually made disney money user?
I know treasure planet didn't
I still love it though

>Fantasia 2000: gorgeous
Looked nice but had no substance and the visuals failed to have the emotional impact of the original, meh at best. Every single person who I’ve showed both too were disappointed in 2000 despite being crazy excited after the first
>Dinosaur: meh
It was terrible not meh
>Emperor's New Groove: great
It was ok, not great. It was a solid movie and if wasn’t made my Disney it wouldn’t be as popular
>Atlantis: great
It was good
>Lilo and Stitch: amazing
Not really good, but had pacing issues
>Treasure Planet: amazing
Interesting but again failed to really get people interested
>Brother Bear: good
Meh
>Home on the Range: awful
Agreed
>Chicken Little: mediocre
Agreed
>Meet the Robinsons: great
False, it was an ok movie at best
>Bolt: great
Bolt was ok at best for anyone older than 10

In short Disney failed to really make a movie that hit all the right parts. Visually it was a great era but the characters and plots are largely forgettable. They all have some very good scenes, but to be called a good movie you need all your scenes to be good not just a handful

I think I’d sum up my stance by calling it the Era of Failed Potential

Not OP, but what would be an example of an animated movie that actually did hit all the right notes, preferably one from that time?

Literally any of Pixar's output from Toy Story 1 to Toy Story 3. They rose and fell with that franchise.

RIP Pixar, 1995 - 2010.

How the fuck did Lilo and Stitch end up happening amongst all that?

It's because none of those movies had a mid-to-late teens, white girl for people to jerk off over.

Emperor's New Groove had the pregnant chick.
Atlantis had Kida.
Lilo and Stitch had Nani.
Treasure Planet had Amelia.

I'd argue some of the top tier Disney waifus are in these movies.

Oh and the mom in Meet the Robinsons.

If it was its own thing it might be decent, but its trying to be the same as their most ambitious film outside of Sleeping beauty

>but its trying to be

its-not-its.info/

the only interesting part in Lilo and Stitch is Nami's relationship with Lilo as her caregiver. everything else is just garbage honestly. it doesn't help that the entire purpose of that movie was for Disney to create a wacky marketable figure for the mid-2000s which ended up just biting them in the ass when they realized nobody fucking cared about Stitch. Meet the Robinsons and ENG are probably the only films on that list that I'd say are "amazing".

>nobody fucking cares about Stitch

How can anyone actually be this retarded

He's literally one of their most merchandised characters

I can not write an apostrophe on this keyboard.
Why do you even care about petty grammatical errors like this on Yea Forums?

Eh, Cars, Ratatouille, and WALL-E were some of the weaker ones for me personally. UP was excellent though with a surprisingly good final fight I wasn't expecting.
Can't believe Brave was Pixar though what with Merida being a Disney Princess. They really did fall hard after Toy Story 3.

>I can not write an apostrophe on this keyboard.

Doubt.

Not him, but the economy crashing caused the animation industry to basically contract within itself. 2007 was the year that CN started to shift towards live action stuff and Nick started to dramatically cut back its cartoons, while theatrical animation practically ceased to exist outside of pixar for a while. There's a very clear massive quality drop comparing the mid 00s and late 00s in terms of animation, and you can blame the recession for that.

Of all things to lie about, why this one?
Do you have anything to say about animation?

For real. To me, Pixar can be divided into two eras: before and after Toy Story 3. Let's compare.

>Era 1

Toy Story: incredible
A Bug's Life: fantastic
Toy Story 2: incredible
Monsters Inc.: great
Finding Nemo: fucking phenomenal
Incredibles: do I even need to say it
Cars: plenty enjoyable and nostalgic
Ratatouille: fucking great and sophisticated
WALL-E: beautiful
Up: also beautiful
Toy Story 3: amazing conclusion to the trilogy and to the good era of Pixar.

>Era 2

Cars 2: absolute shit
Brave: mediocre at best
Monsters University: derivative and insipid
The Good Dinosaur: the worst thing they've ever done
Inside Out: decently creative but poorly written and paced
Finding Dory: laughably bad, shits all over the original
Cars 3: thoroughly boring
Coco: one of the few gems from this era
Incredibles 2: fine enough but vastly inferior to the first
Toy Story 4: unnecessary and bizarre, with an infuriating ending

The difference is so stark. What the FUCK happened after 2010? Was there a migration of talent or what? They seem to have just suddenly lost all filmmaking capability after TS3.

See, I actually do like Cars, Rat, and WALL-E. I was just starting to get older and getting into other things so they I definitely didn't appreciate them as much( at the time) as I could've. I was definitely willing to stop watching Pixar after TS3. Which I did, so that's probably why I see them as weaker. After the UP and TS3 I barely revisited Pixar for years.
If I had kept watching, I would'e seen faster that Pixar didn't really drop until after TS3. Everything before that is at least a great movie. Likely all of them classics. Actually, I did see Incredible 2 on Netflix recently. It was alright. I want to see TS4, but TS3 was such a good ending I don't know if I want to ruin it. Was it that bad?

>would'e

If you look closely, there's another typo too.
so they I.

What the fuck does this pedantry have to do with anything?

The real dark age is now.

Fantasia went against the wishes of Disney and almost caused a revolt in the animation department due to Eisner’s retarded ideas

For Pixar, maybe. Ironically Disney Animation has been on a great kick of late, with the exception of Wreck it Ralph 2. Moana, Zootopia, Tangled etc. have all been vastly superior to anything Pixar have done in the past decade.

>ignoring the bland cgi elephant in the room

>thing I like
Amazing
>thing you like
Mediocre at best.

Sorry, guys, that’s just the way it is.

>REEEEE IT'S NOT OLD SO IT MUST BE BAD

Get over yourself. Moana and Zootopia are beautiful, as is Coco.

What did you think I was talking about? I meant the live action remakes.

Zootopia looked great but was such a subpar movie.

How so? It was, to me, the most tightly plotted and thematically sophisticated film they've put out in a while. I'd honestly hesitate to call it a 'kid's film' and I hate when people come out of it only talking about the sloths and goofy shit because it's about way more than that.

Early Pixar, unironically the first Shrek. The problem with the early 00s is that people had new tech and wanted to use them but had no idea how to use them in a way that’s actually good.

>Fantasia
>runtime 15hrs, 59 minutes
>Fantasia 2000
>runtime 12 minutes

The world was interesting but took a backseat to the racism allegory, the racism allegory didn't make a lot of sense, the villain was lackluster, the stuff with the fat leopard all felt desperate to me, the dialogue wasn't stellar. Really the only thing that stood out to me, other than the background worldbuilding were the two leads performances as their characters.

I don't know the movie really got under my skin. Mostly I didn't like the writing.

At least we can agree on the chemistry of the leads. One of the few times I actively wanted characters to end up together, and then they didn't.

bump