Watchmen

After watching the new watchmen trailer, i really have some questions about watchmen in general.
What does stand in the DC-Moore contract?
If the trade is out of print, Moore gets the rights back, ok. But wasnt there a part that only Moore has the right to write a sequel? Thats why they made before watchmen. But now they make a tv series sequel? Did i remember it wrong or is this a loophole?

Attached: Watchmen smiley.jpg (1600x1200, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marvunapp.com/list/amalgamd.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who knows? Maybe Moore is suffering from Alzheimer's and agreed to give DC sequel rights. I'm sure Gibbons and Higgins are all for milking the cash cow

And what stops Alan Moore to write a sequel of his own? Thanks to the internet he could post it as a draft, maybe take the money from the watchmen rights he neglects and pay Gibbons to draw handfull of key moments.
Isnt he, or was, very upset and angry with DC? Why not try to stop them from making more Watchmen with posting official drafts about sequel stuff. If its drafts, its technical legal. He even could make it "not Watchmen" but everyone knows what it would be.

Attached: Before Warchmen - Alan Moore.jpg (800x1200, 663K)

I think that was more a principle re: the sequel, probably something that Paul Levitz enforced back when he was President of DC. He understood Watchmen was something special not to be exploited, not just another IP.

Didio on the other hand is too much of a company man, and has folded like a cheap accordion on this one

Dont know, but i guess since Moore is still popular, no wonder artists who get less spotlight are happy to get money from ips they created.
And he never seemed to have alzheimer, since he still like to rant about old stuff or the industry didnt changed their bad habits since he got played.

Attached: alan moore garbage drops.jpg (1024x1476, 778K)

But that wouldnt explain doomsday. Why try to incorporate Watchmen into DC universe before a sequel?

Attached: Kirby-Watchmen_Web.jpg (494x726, 152K)

And regarding the HBO serie, am i the only one for whom several things in the trailer doesnt make any sense? I mean not superpowers stuff, but in-universe logic?
Why masked police forces?
>... the bad guys dont know the identity of the police, who doesnt like a secret identity
But how do they explain what they are doing for a living? Isnt it easy to just look who seems to be middle class but job is unknown?

Whats up with the rorschach cult killing the man of the hero? So it seems she turns vigilante or get hired by Laurie after her husband is dead? That really makes me think they read and watched TheBoys and took the "Villian killed my loved ones" which isnt bad but after the boys gets a series it seems like copycat.

>..the world is black and white
And everyone afraid that it plays too much racial stuff. That it wil be a leftover season 4 with racial stuff?

Attached: Yellow-mask-police-force-in-Watchmen.jpg (1400x700, 444K)

I suspect its all loopholes, but we may never know for sure. I've got a couple of interesting Alan Moore biographies at home, if you like I'll have a look to see if there's anything relevant.

I think he's just really tired by it all really and trying to move on. He's described DC as being like "a rich stalker-girlfriend", so doing a Watchmen not-sequel would essentially be doing extra work for free on something that he's not that interested in anymore that DC would probably end up taking anyway. Remember the ABC Comics debacle? I doubt he'd take that risk again.

It could well have been a spec script for something else that's been retooled to be Watchmen related then had other creatives and producers adding their own bits and pieces to put their own stamp on it.

>if you like I'll have a look to see if there's anything relevant.
That would be really nice. But dont do a hussle, just check if there are chapters that cope that.
Maybe some other user knows some info too.

>by it all really and trying to move on.
Makes sense. Guess its warped perception, since every interview will ask the same question about watchmen, so it looks lke its a current thing but he just answers questions.
>I doubt he'd take that risk again.
Guess thats very valid. We dont know how big the stones or mysteries need to be that DC or any writer could solve than Moore.

Attached: watchmen_and_friends_by_hk666.jpg (732x1092, 309K)

>retooled to be Watchmen
Thats the feeling i got from the trailer, with the rorschach cult, that it really is a Leftover season 4.

Attached: watchmen2.jpg (244x400, 79K)

Daily Reminder that DC violated the contract.

They're supposed to pay Moore royalties for all merchandise, but in 1986 they made and sold buttons without paying Moore a cent.

When Moore pointed out that DC was violating the contract, their excuse was "These are promotional materials, so they don't reeeeeeeally count as merchandise".

DC has been violating the contract since the very beginning.

Attached: Watchmen buttons.jpg (600x946, 106K)

Yeah, heard that too. DC really is a raccoon trying to get away with shady stuff.

Attached: Alan Moore on Watchmen movie.jpg (1500x1350, 572K)

Attached: image.jpg (620x957, 139K)

Jurgens used to bring up his idea of Superman fighting a massive monster for 22 pages and then dying at every Superman writers retreat for a few months until everyone caved in and did Death of Superman.

At one of Marvel writers retreats, Millar asked why Avengers don't have any big sellers like Spider-Man or Wolverine, you know like JLA does. He passed on the idea of writing such a team but a few months later New Avengers was released.

What I'm saying is there's absolutely no way of knowing who and why brought up the idea of "Superman fighting Dr Manhattan because he's responsible for Geoff Johns making edgy comics" and who and why decided to approve it. Maybe it was supposed to be a prank but everyone was in a really good mood that day

People who think or expect Watchmen should never be touched again are idiots. At the end of the day it's a superhero comic.

Alex Alonso said (or maybe Quesadilla) if they had the rights to Watchmen they'd have done it within 5 or 10 years of the original.

It's a reddit tier opinion and if people didn't know about how salty Alan Moore is (about everything) then they'd happily say "More Watchmen please"

Ok, makes sense. But i still think a sequel would be more interesting than an old "who would win manhatten or superman" idea. Is John so edgy than hungry for a footprint in DC history?

nothing is sacred when it comes to the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Ok, is Watchmen the comic with the most parodies or hommages now?

Attached: image.jpg (757x1056, 371K)

Correct. The only requirement is that it adds something. More like Terminator 2 than Terminator Genysis!

Since Moore stole from others or made sequel stories, its not.

I can't think of a single good reason to use the content again outside of referencing it in a different story to make a point. It's like trying to incorporate Bertie from Under Two Flags into your novel. For what purpose? May as well reference the work or make a fascimilie.

We’re seeing two god damned sequels to the watchmen yet neither one has humanity make it into space, which was the mother fucking point of the squid monster. Whatever let’s see how attrocious HBOs wokemen can get

You are half right. Sometimes a continued story isnt important anymore.
Who wants to know how a retired Bill Clinton lives now?
And considering Watchmen, an open ending is sometimes better left open to keep the tension or fantasy of readers.
But you could make story how the world looks after that, maybe how to keep status quo. Or make it a parable of today and how planning can backfire.

>squidmonster
>into space
What? No, it was about unify all nation against a common enemy. In general that usa and russia stops fighting with another and join forces against an alien.

Yeah but where did Ozy intend that enemy to be? It’s just head canon but I always imagined he’d attempt to spearhead some more funding to nasa or any space agency to establish a foothold in space to “prevent” another attack of this nature. Maybe make it kind of like Star ship troopers where they have the veneer of a peaceful utopia while waging war across space.

why DIDN'T watchmen deserve a sequel?
there was so many unanswered question and its such a universe theres no reason to not revisit it.

Attached: 1499891654615.jpg (500x500, 52K)

What are the unanswered questions? The reason all Watchmen sequels/prequels suck is because everything interesting was already done in the main story, The only question left is whether Ozy's plan works or if Rorshach's journal blows it up, and that question is one that isn't supposed to be answered.

Thats a good idea.
But i think they mentioned its an interdimensional threat. Thats why it beamed than landed in a spaceship.
But interesting, never thought about it that an alien would be more plausible than interdimensional alien. But i guess building a spacecraft is too big than manhatten technology.
Kudos to Moore thinking it that way.

Obvious questions are
>Did they read Rorschachs Journal?
>What did Manhatten mean with creating life?
>Did the Us and Russia stop the war?
>Could Veidt keep the new peace, Manhatten: "It never truly end"

And than you have the question what is the alternate history after that now? What are new obstacles they could fear with the new peace?

I know what story i would write. I dont know if this would be fanfiction-tier but i know alot of plothooks to make a 12 issue mini-series.

What would Watchmen be like if it were an Amalgam comic?

Attached: KovacsPretendingToBeJimmyOlsen.png (732x496, 804K)

Either you take Ultimate universe, since its like alternate mcu like watchman is alternate charltonuniverse/dcu.
Or you take EarthX.

Attached: image.jpg (1280x1920, 735K)

It wasn't just Moore. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created Superman. When they got drafted to fight in WW2, DC offered to hold onto the rights to Superman until they got home. After the war ended and they came back home, DC was like "yeah, we're going to hold onto the rights anyway."

Watchmen + Earth X = X-Watch? In a world where everyone suddenly gains superpowers, Cold War tensions begin to re-escalate after the power imbalance of (Captain Atom + (Mister Molecule maybe?) is no longer a factor.

things like these is why fiction becomes boring, wanna keep diggin every single plotline, theres no imagination, no thinking just GIB MORE.

Somebody made a fan comic about the two dogs Rorschach killed.

>hold onto
What? Why should they give away their rights?
Or were rights different than and not easy proofable?

Yellow mask man bad killing dindus the series.

I hope Mime and Marionette at least get a mini series or an ongoing. Funnest things to come out of Doomsday Clock and I hope they don't fade into obscurity.

Noone said, ww2 was enough action and horror we dont need any wars. Stil vietnam, afghanistan and irac happened.
Some heroes dont have any interesting stories happening afterwards, sometimes there is still enough material.
For Watchmen it doesnt mean the exact same characters or team, only the setting.

those war sequels succked
sooooooooooooooooo

>Alex Alonso said (or maybe Quesadilla) if they had the rights to Watchmen they'd have done it within 5 or 10 years of the original.

It was Brevoort who said that, and it wasn't intended as a positive statement.

Which Marvel characters were amalgamated with Charlton characters (and Black Canary)? Now imagine analogues to them.

I'll look it up, but in one of those lenghty interviews he did with Padraig he explained it a bit. From what I can recall, while the Watchmen movie was in production DC used Dave Gibbons as a proxy to run ideas by Moore and get his approval of them (even if the approval was a "eh, whatever" sort of reply). At one point they offered him the rights to Watchmen back if he agreed to let DC make prequels and sequels to it, and he refused. But DC suddenly broke that impasse and made Before Watchmen. So Moore thinks that DC's legal team must have found some loophole they could exploit so that they didn't need his implied consent anymore. He desisted from taking them to court because of course WB can throw armies of lawyers at him and he doesn't have the time or resources to fight them, so he adopted his posture of "fuck this shit, I'm out, it's no longer my concern."

From what I can tell, none of the Charlton characters got Amalgamated.

If true, that sounds horryfying. I bet they know Moores mindset and the only loophole they have is "He dont has the army and money to battle us".
Guess his only way to be a thorn is to "ah, whatever", so nothing they put out has a approval of him, nefative nor positive.

Attached: alan-moore-simpsons.jpg (480x740, 97K)

Are you sure? No Atom or The Question?

There's Big Question, but he's a mix of Kingpin and Riddler.

I am using marvunapp.com/list/amalgamd.htm as a reference.

You are right, i looked some up on wikipedia, no character from charlton, not even blue beetle. while fire and ice got amalgamated!

He had a Watchmen prequel in mind with the Minutemen and he probably might have done a sequel but the way DC treated him just really soured the entire property for him.

Why the fuck would you want to read anything Watchmen not written by Alan Moore though? His writing and Gibbons' art is what made the original so popular, if you take both of them out of the equation you have practically nothing.

>If the trade is out of print, Moore gets the rights back

Is this actually true?

Why would Moore be allowed to own the IPs for characters that Steve Ditko created?

Make them up then.

Captain Atom + Molecule Man, or maybe Radion.

because Wein and Giordano told him to make palate swaps of those characters.

Ok,
Blue Beetle + The Beetle = The Blue Beetle

Understandable.

Rorschach is as much of a copy of the Question as Batman is a copy of the Shadow.

Its a little bit more than just palette swap.

Attached: watchmen_jla_cover_homage_by_nick_perks.jpg (747x1070, 169K)

Given the DC side is all Charlton characters, the Marvel side should be Timely Comics characters.

Question (Vic Sage) + Mister E (Victor Jay)

meant for And its said that it was in the contract and Moore hoped to get them back.

Nightshade + Sun Girl = Eclipse

Attached: tumblr_penpv8yBHn1v9j8n8_400.png (400x314, 209K)

And you headcanon isn't the point of anything, dipshit.

But Timely is just early MarvelComics, while Charlton are bought and integrated characters.
So logically it would be Malibu Comics.

Attached: Timely Comics characters by Anthony Castrillo.jpg (474x644, 90K)

They did amalgamate Blue Beetle with Yellowjacket, into Blue Jacket.

Really? Nice

impotence bump

Attached: liid_tryout_week_3__watchmen_in_tibet_by_johntrumbull-d4m50kf.jpg (738x1081, 195K)

>Tintin
>Watchmen
Nice

Attached: 1563304323728.jpg (1062x1628, 851K)

That's why this series has never been outright advertised as a sequel and is just called "Watchmen". It's only a work "based on" Watchmen, an adaptation using elements of Watchmen for its backstory, even if that effectively means a sequel.

It's like how Doomsday Clock also isn't a sequel, because it's just a DC vs Watchmen crossover even though it takes place afterwards. So, yeah, loopholes.

The HBO creator has said himself that it isn't a sequel. It seems that they all don't want to step on Moore's toes, since he's constantly mentioned hating anyone else working on Watchmen. Yet he doesn't do anything for it either. And never will, now that he's a retired old fag.

That makes sense. As long its not named as a sequel you have to debate if DC just use the characters they own through contract or the characters Moore created.
Guess it will be a never ending battle in court.

Sounds lke a cold watchman war. How ftting for Watchman.

As soon as he dies, his creative properties will be in the hands of Gaiman and the other guy. Then we'll get more stuff. Before Watchmen, Watchmen itself, and fanfictions can only feed my obsession for as many years as it has. I'm a patient person, but it's starting to get annoying.

Shit not creative properties. I meant approval. I don't think Gaiman leans on Watchmen as much since he has many other good works on his side.

Blue Jacket was only mentioned in the letters page, though.

Fawcett and Quality Comics characters got merged with Marvel characters for Amalgam (like Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel) so it probably wouldn't have to be Malibu (since they were only briefly placed in the Marvel Multiverse).

Before Watchmen is proof that Watchmen without Alan Moore is just stupid. Alan Moore could probably tell a good follow up story in the Watchmen universe, or a prequel, but anyone else doing it is just doing it for the sake of fanservice. The garbage DC has been releasing in the "Watchmen Universe" is proof that they really should have left it alone.

This art style is phenomenal.

Every time

Attached: latest.png (610x800, 249K)

Yeah you don't see something like that too often.

But then what was the point? If he wanted to unify the world against an enemy how was he going to propose to fight the enemy? Ozy did an evil thing for the "right" reasons but then whats the next step? Because having it all come crashing down harder in less than ten years in doomsday clock or whatever this new white people are the cause of all evil shit from the new show nothing but negative changes in to short a time. I don't know what Alan moore wanted out of watchmen all we know is that he's never going to get it

>Ok, is Watchmen the comic with the most parodies or hommages now?

Impossible. Superman has the most.