Why did Spider-Verse perform so badly?

Why did Spider-Verse perform so badly?

Attached: file.png (1200x871, 674K)

Not enough Peni.

Attached: PENIS PARKER.jpg (1303x1842, 428K)

It did extremely badly internationally.
Look at every other movie on that chart. Only the first two Ramie movies were even close to that %, and only Spider-verse is more Domestic than International

Attached: PENIS.jpg (962x1200, 288K)

Attached: z1545865317041.jpg (540x780, 36K)

Adult people thinks it is for kids and they only watch live-action Spider-man in theatre.
Kids prefer watching illumination/WDAS mediocre productions
Only hardcore comics fan in Yea Forums or reddit pay the tickets to watch

>Spider-verse is more Domestic than International
I blame poor marketing on it, absolutely nothing on this side. Shit I only knew Spider-verse came out because of Yea Forums.

>multiverse shit flopped
Good

I watched it because you guys memed it so much but it was pretty boring. Prowler was cool though.
Why did Kingpin just stand there like a retard instead of finishing the job? The entire movie he was brutally efficient except for that scene.

Attached: a1545545347763.png (700x980, 365K)

Get woke go broke

>$375 mil is "doing badly" for a 90 million dollar animated movie (not even counting the copious merchandising tie-ins)

Stop talking about shit you have literally no comprehension of you dumb cunts, jesus fucking christ this board is so god damn stupid.

Attached: DmQ3Fk0W0AkULy7.jpg (750x571, 52K)

Attached: 1546471999288.jpg (771x1199, 141K)

She cute.

Attached: 1541883895823.jpg (439x230, 48K)

It’s similar to Shazam, good audience reviews, profitable but not quite impressive performance in box office.

Just to give you dumb fucking retards some reference for this box office bullshit:

Spider-Man 1 Production Budget: 198 million (inflation adjustment)
Spider-Man 3 Production Budget: 271 million (inflation adjustment)
Spider-Man 3 Production Budget: 310 million (inflation adjustment)

The Amazing Spider-Man 1 Production Budget: 230~ million estimate
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Production Budget: 260~ million estimate

Spider-Man Homecoming Production Budget: 175 million
Spider-Man Far From Home Production Budget: 160 million

NOW.

FOR FUCKING COMPARISON

Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse: 90 million.

Weird how the spider-man movie that got the least amount of money also happened to, by a wide fucking margin, be the absolute cheapest to make.

Funny how that works.

I just hate this stupid memeshit that if a movie doesnt do god damn Avengers numbers its somehow a complete box office bomb failure.

Attached: 1551970579130.jpg (848x1200, 178K)

>The best movie in the series does the worst overall

Why is this such a common occurrence? Why do people at large seem to have such garbage taste?

Because it was up against a big live action Superhero movie and people value live action over animation. I told people here that before these films even came out and I was told Aquaman would flop. Still that wasn't as retarded as the people who said Wonder Woman was doomed because of Captain fucking Underpants

Attached: 1546636251348.png (800x600, 366K)

>Original trilogy box offices adjusted for inflation:
>Spider-Man 3 would be 1.1 billion
>Spider-Man would be 1.7 billion
>Spider-Man 2 would be 1 billion
>not adjusting for inflation just to make Far From Home and Homecoming look good.

Really makes you think.

Attached: 130221984383.jpg (600x578, 49K)

Attached: 1551941171506.png (1200x1200, 387K)

Attached: 1546696787107.png (812x1500, 287K)

No idea
Spider-verse, Bumblebee and Shazam are all the best of their respective franchises and they just got ignored

God I love you morons getting so buttflustered.

No-one gave a shit about this movie. Deal with it.

I didn't see it because the waifu spamming was obnoxious and put me off.

Spider-Verse definitely didn't get critically or culturally ignored, it was universally acclaimed as the best spider-man movie and even unironically one of the best movies of that year for its sheer style and positive message.

Just, for whatever reason, it didn't make as much bank as Spider-Man fucking 3.

Because it's movie about miles morales and his shitty family drama not about Spider man team up. They spend too much time on miles morales, his uncle and his father while all spidermans other than miles morales barely have any screen time, people want to see Spidermans not miles morales and his family. It's ridiculous that miles's uncle get more fighting scene than most Spidermans other than miles of course.

1. It's not part of MCU
2. It looks "too childish" to the normies, who prefer absolute crap like TLK 2019

This is why the gays are taking over your country user

Attached: 1546468310411.jpg (810x1200, 130K)

All the fags on here thought it would make a billion because incredibles 2 made a billion. Lololol

>budget: 90 million
>earnings: 375 million
Oh no it only made a 1/3 of the money that movies with twice the budget made.

Attached: spider-cop.jpg (201x288, 50K)

Attached: 1551989501006.jpg (1080x609, 152K)

It actually did good in terms of getting new viewers to watch a superhero movie. I know lot of people who don't bother watching any because there's too many of them, but lot of them enjoyed this movie.

>universally acclaimed
Delusional moron.

>positive message.
There was no message at all. What's the message fag?

Attached: 1562780350075.jpg (578x960, 52K)

>Muh budget

>The Secret Life of Pets
> $75 million budget
>$875 million box office

Attached: 1510609594215.png (593x580, 621K)

Attached: 1546447982987.jpg (804x373, 74K)

when will the public get tired of Spider-Man media

Attached: facepalm-spiderman.jpg (544x400, 20K)

>Minions
>$74 million budget
>1 billion and 159 million box office

Attached: 1484927826331.jpg (419x480, 81K)

They had until he entered the MCU, Sony lucked out with this deal

How much was the marketing?

>An "anime" character is the most popular in a western cartoon

Sure is inferior in here

Attached: heh2.png (424x465, 119K)

China doesn’t want to see a movie about a nigger

Attached: y1546793082163.jpg (1500x2320, 3.01M)

Does it matter? Minions made more than Civil War

imagine people believing pet2 flopping would bankrupt illumination

based ricists. now if only they could free tibet and aknowledge tien an men massacre

and stop this HK bullshit
shits crazy man

Attached: y1546791405674.jpg (1239x1800, 1.48M)

Attached: 1554168158554.png (990x1400, 1.22M)

Funnily enough the Asian markets are where Spider-Verse did the best. In Europe it did worse than Shazam

Media was hounding everyone to go see the first movie about le first black spider-man. And now you are making up excuses about failing to beat a spin-off film about yellow tic tacs.

>for whatever reason
That's actually pretty simple: people base if they're gonna pay to see the next movie on the last one they saw that was most like it.
Spider-Man II was great, so the third one made bank despite being such a shitshow. Meanwhile the best reference we had for Into the Spider-Verse, being a Spidey movie Sony handled without Marvel involved, was the Amazing Spider-Man II. We were just too worried Sony would fuck it up again.

I mean, it looked spectacular off of the first trailer.

Attached: 1547602275737.jpg (777x1200, 829K)

Attached: 1546377598382.png (1457x1500, 1.23M)

It looked gorgeous, yet I was immediately worried the story would be a fucking disaster. The suit in the Amazing Spider-Man II was incredible and the webswinging was superb, but it couldn't save that movie either. That's just what Sony has conditioned me into fearing from them.

I ran out of pictures, pls post more

Attached: 1554982516018.jpg (724x1024, 145K)

Animation is still stigmatized and seen as a predominantly kids' thing, but Spider-Verse tried to tackle stories and themes kids don't care about

There's also the fact international audiences don't care much for American black people as protagonists, they're like one tenth of the American population too so I don't see why Americans would care so much either, no one would see a movie starring e.g. a Native American and their themes and no one would be surprised by it underperforming (inb4 someone tries to use Black Panther as a counter argument, it was a movie about Africa and Africans, and part of the MCU which is basically a subscription at this point, not to mention the last film before Infinity War)

>375 mill is bad

Attached: ----.png (350x302, 18K)

>talking about how little coverage it got internationally compared to domestic
>reee stop saying it did bad
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh?

Attached: 1547648623871.jpg (1080x1078, 296K)

Attached: 1547271411178.jpg (880x1100, 87K)

nigger spider-man

Attached: Comic Penny Parker.jpg (850x940, 586K)

Attached: katy.jpg (388x500, 52K)

No it didn't, people were worried up until it released, it could've gone either way from the marketing and all the reference material we had for the stories being adapted was absolute shit, not to mention it was being handled by "Aunt May movie" Sony and the studio responsible for the fucking Emoji movie

Animation was also widely criticized as choppy and heavy on chromatic aberration, the later praise for it was pretty much acquired taste from seeing the whole thing

Attached: __peni_parker_and_spider_man_noir_spider_man_into_the_spider_verse_and_etc_drawn_by_bomhat__sample-5 (850x1100, 274K)

Damn, it just occurred to me that both of the FFH suits got added to the game instead of Spider-Cop.

Attached: 1547533371071.jpg (929x911, 139K)

Who would win a tickle fight between Gwen and Peni?

Attached: __spider_man_spider_man_noir_peter_b_parker_miles_morales_peni_parker_and_etc_spider_man_into_the_sp (850x601, 154K)

Don't you know? If a movie doesn't do Marvel numbers then it's shit. This board is brain damaged

375m is still decent for a cape movie. I mean look at DC. Their animated movie only made 175m

I want this movie of Spiderverse Peni meeting and working with comic Peni.

same reason why Aladdin 2019 made more money than 1992 Aladdin, people thought live action = more mature and cooler

>animation was also widely criticized
you mean widely criticized by Yea Forumsntrarians?

No Peni or Gwen fan service.

I thought movie and comic Peni were supposed to be from the same timeline, and movie Peni was just younger and had yet to reach her mandatory trauma quota as an eva pilot?

No? What kinda retarded headcanon is this?

When they flashed the timeline numbers in the ending, somebody told me the two Penis were given the same timeline designation. You cunt.

>HURR I DONT KNOW SHIT BUT WILL COMMENT ANYWAY

Fuck off, casual

>how dare someone reply to my post
What, am I supposed to be double-check everything that gets mentioned to me, or am I supposed to have a photographic memory of everything comic book? How about you take the dicks out of your ass and you'll get less butthurt over every comment on the internet.

I think that was just an Easter egg with the designations of the universes that their comic counterparts were from (Earth-616 for Peter, Earth-1610 for Miles, Earth-65 for Gwen and so on).

Nobody likes Miles Morales. Nobody. Nobody has ever liked Miles and nobody ever will.

Attached: milesmorales.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 94K)

Then why do people buy his books

Fuck off back to R3ddit you stupid niggerfaggot poltard

Now me too

Animated is seen as children stuff, so most of the casuals ignored it.

Nah, he's alright, mediocre and need the help of other character to be interesting but at leas he's not just black peter-parker, what he really needs is a good villain for him only

Prowler?

Attached: 1550879393246.jpg (1600x900, 146K)

If it ain't Based Disney no one gives a shit

if you adjust boxoffice to inflation as well then Spider-Verse performed even worse

>Nobody likes Miles Morales. Nobody. Nobody has ever liked Miles and nobody ever will.
This.
He is simply a bad idea for a character.

>Why did spiderverse perform so badly?
>It actually didn't
>OMG shut up retard nobody said it did!

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh?

Everyone who has money is racist for good reason

>let's kill of and then replace the hero of the story to underline how he is nothing special
worse premise for a spider-man movie ever. Should have been an animated musical about Gwen falling in love with Peter on Christmas

>to underline how he is nothing special
That's like saying Uncle Ben was nothing special. Or that Barry was nothing special to Wally.

Attached: I went to search for peni, and now there's too much peni.png (1026x1127, 132K)

Man you are retarded. Uncle Ben was never replaced. Meanwhile Peter Parker dying is no biggy since some black guy or some blond chick can always just take over for him

too many retards in Yea Forums tonight or whe really have a problem of calling other retards

Attached: 74252785_p0.jpg (3100x3892, 1.9M)

Attached: 75613636_p0.png (1758x1691, 1.31M)

I think he means a brand new villain rather than one that's based on one of Peter's villains. There are some in his current run, but I stopped reading after the first arc so I don't know if they're any good.

Inflation only counts when Yea Forums says it does otherwise shut up you normal person with friends and a social life

Rage. Miles had just lost him his son again. He wanted this to last.

Spider-verse grossed more than Incredibles 2 / Ralph 2 in China.

Capeshit audience. They are like maggots and cockroaches. You can observe their behavior, but you can never understand it.

Yes, it is objectively doing badly.

Shazam is mediocre as fuck.

It's a cartoon not explicitly aimed at children.

>nobody liked miles morales when bendis was writing him*
ftfy

>No one cares about Miles especially countries that aren't Burgerland
>Disney films are the the only movies making good money right now
>Despite good word of mouth the movie was completely forgotten after a few weeks
>It's an animated movie and therefore has more difficulty finding a more adult audience
>The animation itself was a huge turn-off for people
>Spiderversefags are insufferable
It isn't that hard to guess why Spiderverse didn't explode in the box office department.

Attached: 2354243.png (481x290, 280K)

It didn't. It made back 4x it's budget. It's a good thing box office earnings aren't an indication on the quality of the film. Have a Gwen for your bait thread.

Attached: 75053130_p0.jpg (577x1000, 88K)

Peni will forever be known as the anime loli with stinky feet.

>No one accepts the fact that bendis will always get credit for him reflgardless of what racist writes him
FTFY

Even with a added theater count after winning the Oscar, didn’t make that huge money

Don’t get offended by the numbers

You know they don’t retain everything, right?

The movie made 4x its budget. It's not a flop. If you try hard enough I'm sure you can find some arbitrary things to make it so that the movie would need to make a billion dollars to be considered successful to you.

Attached: spidey just sayin.png (1126x425, 473K)

You’re getting mad, aren’t ya? If we discount marketing, overhead, taxes, distribution fees, theater cost, it made some money , but not a mega hit like Minions

Attached: 73918111_p0.jpg (1080x1920, 361K)

If you're factoring all of that in, then you should also factor in the 115 million they received for promotion with Nike and a bunch of other companies.

Attached: 1557335303854.jpg (933x700, 113K)

Stupid and racist.

The overall inflation index is very favorable to movie ticket prices of the past. There would never be any new #1s, and that's not very good salesmanship.

Weird art style

Generally a movie has to make back twice its budget to break even. There's no way four times its budget wasn't enough.