The Matthew Rosenberg Uncanny X-Men kill-fest!

Being a retrospective on Rosenberg's recent run on the X-Men and in advance of the upcoming Hickman run. An examination of the use of death in this story and the relevance of each named character fatality.

Attached: killfest.png (1000x5344, 3.43M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2019/02/06/matthew-rosenberg-twitter-uncanny-x-men/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do you idiots still read comics from the big companies?

why people are so butthurt about it? everyone knew it wasn't going to be permanent and that it was going to be a filler run

To spite you.

>Hickman makes it so Krakoa can rebirth mutants
Pretty smart way of getting rid of pointless deaths for the next couple years t b h

Accepting low expectations like this as normal and acceptable is how we GET shitty filler runs like this.

the commentary is funny, though. I'm going to save it

I have been saying that Rosenberg is a hack since 2016. But Marvelfags insisted that he was one the most talented new guys.

"Look, he wrote this shit Secret Warriors, this shit Multiple-Man and the shittiest Punisher of all, he clearly is an amazing writer".

You got it wrong. Nobody should CARE about this run, and giving it attention is giving it more thought than it deserves to be. We're going to have Hickman, who cares about Rosenberg?

This is preventative medicine. Hopefully this type of discussion discourages future runs like Rosenberg's.

You are part of the cancer that is Big 2 comics.

Didn't this run actually open with a self-aware narration of the X-Men having done the same shit for the last 15 years? Did we know about Hickman then?
I think then everyone should have realized what was coming.

Or worse, encourages some asshole writers to spite anons of Yea Forums. Hatred, love, what's the difference, as long as people talk about it

I agree. As a matter of fact, for years I was praying to god to take me away and remove from this world. Alas, god ignored my prayers, so here I am spreading my disease to others. You better leave, if you don't want to get infected

God helps those who help themselves, user.

Hasn’t Harpoon always been able to disrupt mutant powers? Kitty was stuck being intangible because of him for a while.

Its down the road not across the street.

Yes, which is why I am abusing alcohol. Hopefully I'll get a cirrhosis. Eventually

i hope guido takes over hell again

This

Wolfsbane's section should include how her death was a poorly conceived analogy to trans panic murders

That's clearly true, yes, but that's all subtext and I felt like focusing on the text itself. I agree that using such a well-established character to tell a story like that in a way that hinges upon her being totally inept in a way that's utterly character-breaking is bad, bad storytelling.

rosenberg should never be hired for writing anything ever again

Hickman is bringing almost all of these characters back to life.

If so, it seems like OP should have noted that in the descriptions of the characters' deaths. Words to the effect of "Already confirmed to be alive and present in the upcoming run." could have been appended to those specific characters' deaths, you know? Maybe even an acknowledgement of this point in the opening two paragraphs at the top of the infographic.

I just find it funny that Rosenberg bumbled his way into a subject and ended up offending everyone with it...

See Also: Blindfold's death and "Suicide Awareness"

Was THAT what he was going for with Ruth's death? I mean, a psychic who actually knows with concrete certainty via her psionic powers is NOT the same as someone who is convinced that their future holds nothing but doom and gloom for abstract, irrational reasons. That is a sloppy as hell way to go about it, if so!

YUP
bleedingcool.com/2019/02/06/matthew-rosenberg-twitter-uncanny-x-men/

That was Scrambler, actually. Not Harpoon

A few people on Reddit made the case with respect to Harpoon as well. I feel like I'd need to re-read that issue to be sure. I agree that it seems like it's more like something Scrambler would do, given his power-set, but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

There it is.

Attached: RCO021_1469323279.jpg (1041x1600, 764K)

Actually, the Joseph being back thing was explained. He came back in the Clay Mann mini Magneto: Not a Hero. Where he was framing Magneto for crimes and using a warped clones of the Brotherhood of Mutants. Mags stops him but doesn't kill him at the end of it.

Honestly, the death I was most annoyed by was Strong Guy's.
This is a guy who tanked a hit from Worldbreaker Hulk- though he was, admittedly, pretty fucked up by it.

Just offing him with a boombangexplodeyman just... just sucks more than Based Blindfold deciding she wanted to go down the street in a bathtub- and that sucks so bad because Blindfold's probably one of the few post-2000 mutants I legitimately like.

>Years and years of character development lost in order to restore to Earth 616 one of its most iconic villains.
This, in the end, may be the most egregious sin of American cape comics, worse than the cheapening of the concept of death -- the inability to stray from the status quo, to allow change to be permanent. This is exactly the sort of scenario that made Claremont quit the first time.

All of these characters and teams are just corporate IPs, it's fucked up, and I hate sounding defeatist, but you really can't do anything about it since at this point it's not just Marvel and DC that want to keep their properties mostly the same, but larger corporations like Disney and AT&T have a hand on this too.

Agreed. The best we can hope for is good individual runs.

>someone calls Rosenburg out on Twitter for cheap deaths and how they're all just being undone
>He respond "it's almost like I've talked to the next writer about his plans"
This retard literally thought it was okay to just fuck everything up because he "knew what was coming next."

>X-Men helped me in dark times so I want to be able to do the same and help other people through their dark times
>Blindfold actually kills herself
>Wolfsbane is actually murdered by the transphobic allegory
What an actual moron. Does he not realize that the point of the X-Men is that they OVERCOME the things like racism and depression and that's how you help people?

His creator, Astra, managed to resurrect him, brainwashed him into acting like villain Magneto, and lost control of him. Nobody ever tried to help him, and just left him as a villain.

Is this worse than Chuck Austin?

Didn’t Loa die too?

...I'm not sure... *shutters*

why even bother doing this

>Is this worse than Chuck Austin?
Is Nightcrawler /yourguy/?
If yes, Austin is worst.
If no, this is worse.

Apparently in Hickman's run it's revealed that dead mutants leave behind psychic energy patterns or something that allows Xavier to channel them into cloned bodies grown by Krakoa.

So basically Rosenberg knew about this and went on a killfest knowing Hickman would bring them back from the dead.

What an idiot. He could have done anything with this book, and he goes full edgelord?

Nightcrawler is one mutant. This is literally fridging a bunch of mutants that ends up dead mostly getting undone now anyway making it fucking pointless.

The Upstarts role in this was just odd. They had all been dead for close to 20 years, last worked together in 1994, but nobody is surprised to see them alive and working together. They appear because Emma's plan requires Cortez's powers, then they all die again.

Do you guys think it would have went over better if everyone was killed at once rather than drawn out in various stupid ways? I'm not a good enough writer to come up with how but maybe the government expected Emma to do some cerebro shit and tampered with it so that instead of erasing the memory of mutants she somehow gives the ones she was trying to protect a brain aneurysm or something. I feel like one big catastrophe that is then undone is easier to stomach than every X-Man just going out like a chump randomly throughout the series and then everyone coming back regardless.

While true, most of the characters with more than 5 fans are already confirmed as coming back in Hickman's run. It's not worth getting angry about unless you spent money on it, or you're a fan of someone like Dark Beast or Joseph who probably won't be back.

I'm pretty bummed about Dark Beast ngl. He's so much better than regular Beast and having an immoral but useful scientist has been a pretty fun dynamic

People focus so much on the constant retarded deaths that they lose sight of the terrible characterization and plots.

Yes, Loa died too. She didn't even get a death scene, just appears as a dead body already.

That goes hand in hand with the deaths.

Without the deaths no one would remember this shitty run in a few months, aside from being "that run where Cyclops came back and most of the X-Men were missing in some pointless crossover"

>This is literally fridging a bunch of mutants

I mean, that kinda also happened during Austen's run too, just not all at his hands.

Honestly Kurt himself wasn't written terribly in Austen's run. The problem was more with the situations he was put in. Obviously the whole premise of Draco was just absurd and completely jumped the shark with regards to the whole X-men canon.

The entertainment industry as a whole needs to be purged. Marvel should've been smart and put Uncanny on hold like every normal company.

>Uncanny X-Men kill-fest
So you be saying we sum finna Mutant Massacre?

Because it being filler or temporary doesn’t stop it from being any less of a shit run, Matthew.

Being filler doesn't excuse the horseshit writing, you moron.

Yes without any irony. Austen's run at least had good guy Juggernaut written pretty well. There's nothing at all positive about this run.

He's seriously one of my favourite Marvel villains. Right up there with Zebediah Killgrave and Bullseye. While I did mostly enjoy his characterization and use in this run, it was all kind of tempered by the sense of "he's not supposed to be here, he's dead" that pervaded it and then his abrupt re-death near the end.

That worked great for Marvel, didn't it?