Is this run really that bad? I mean...

Is this run really that bad? I mean, I get it the entire SJW agenda bullshit with Jane Foster becoming Thor is kinda lame but is the story really that bad? I'm thinking of reading a few issues to see what's up. I just don't want to claim it sucks because of the SJW thing going on.

Attached: female-thor-2.jpg (1572x2511, 655K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vyHfmkl_x5Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes the writing was terrible

Yes, imagine an entire run that's just that America Chavez panel where a character goes on a ten-minute extremely fake-sounding monologue about how seeing America do a thing has made her very envious of how cool and smart lesbians are.

>I don't want a magic cure for cancer, I want to fight my illness on my own without special treatment
>Okay
>Proceeds to use Mjolnir regularly, each time magically undoing her chemotherapy
>Ultimately isn't fighting cancer, and is using a magic healing item regardless, only now she can continue to play the sympathy card.
You tell me

I'm just gonna leave you with this tone setting page in which Titania KOs her own husband mid-heist and allows both of them to be arrested in the name of girl power.

Attached: BMG158J.jpg (1988x3056, 1.57M)

After the first arc, the story stops preaching at you, but Jane never becomes an interesting protagonist and she never develops as a character. The universe still bends over backwards to make her look noble and just and virtuous. She never does anything exceptional besides have inexplicable OP mastery over Mjolnir, and that's only because Mjolnir had to gain SENTIENCE for that to happen. If you like Thor Odinson, then you are forced to watch him wallow in misery and self pity for no fucking reason for 5 years worth of books.

Go to reddit, you will find other degenerates that love Aaron's Thor.

Isn't the main antagonistic force for the entire run boring-ass Roxxon?

It's trash. When it ended, the shills left for Captain Marvel and no one bothered to defend her shit story from then on. After a short while, people stopped talking about her altogether. Her new role as Valkerie in the floppies elicited only eye rolls. The movies won't take shit from the comics except maybe the costume design.

I can't wait to have this thread every day for the next six months.

You'd think Jane was the first female superhero ever for how fucking hamfisted the grrl power in this run was, its genuinely disgusting and I say that as a woman

The movie will 100% go the cancer route to garner simpy for Jane Foster since audiences find her character unlikable in the movies.

Reassuring to know no matter how much Yea Forums or youtube clickbait maker whine, creators still do whatever the fuck they want.

>Her new role as Valkerie in the floppies elicited only eye rolls.
I'm actually intrigued by it. Probably should have led with that instead of the Thor nonsense

>tfw Marvel misplays it and the movie becomes regarded as a giant middle finger to cancer victims

Attached: 1540952290101.jpg (497x492, 28K)

How come every female empowerment moment always seems lame? Every time I see one in comics, TV and film it's always real shitty and lame. It's hard to find female badass moments anymore.

Haven't read the book myself, but I've seen someone who is totally for progressive stuff for comics who hates Jason Aaron's run (in fact the guy talking about it that way contrasts it by using Ewing's run as a way to do progressive stuff in Thor right)

>Thor fakes his own unworthiness and sends the hammer to Jane without her knowledge to buy her more time to find a cure
>The dramatic conflict is Jane's rage at Thor and herself for being given this chance while millions of others die of her disease because they don't have a god giving her a free out
>And Jane further questioning if she's even actually worthy or if Thor cheated her into being able to lift the hammer
>Self-discovery arc of Jane coming to terms with her genuine worthiness and what that even means, as she questions whether the right thing to do is give up the hammer and take her chances like a normal person, or use this opportunity to maybe find a cure.
>All interspersed with Jane-Thor adventure across space as they repair their ruined friendship.

The first arc was heavy handed with the strong woman stuff but after that it’s basically a mediocre Thor run. Jane acts like Thor but without the development he already had so it’s just a less interesting re-hash because it should be different but isn’t.

Because it's just so forced and unnatural now. It's all about drawing attention to the fact that they have a vagina and belittling men

It was obvious and unabashed pandering on top of terrible writing. Honestly I would’ve loved it if they went hard on the Norse mythology for the movies then had Odin turn Thor into a woman in four and five only to reveal in 6 it was all Loki fucking with him.

>Absorbing Man was being a sexist dick to Jane and didn't see her as a Thor
>He later uses her and Odinson to try and get a one up on Black Bolt.
He also long since forgive his wife for that.
it would really suck for Carl if his first big screen MCU showing and he is shown off as a sexiest{/spoiler]

Attached: absorb1.jpg (1200x862, 287K)

>He also long since forgive his wife for that.
She never apologised. That's not earned, it's swept under the rug.

>He also long since forgive his wife for that.
That wouldn't even be a thing if Creel had been the one to sucker punch Titania into unconsciousness for any reason.

is the only run of marvel comics in these 10 years that I liked
thor jane foster has that spirit of all might and deku
that soul of the marvel heroes of the 70's and 80's
no longer exists today
it was a good surprise

From what I can gather it was a good run that was completely eclipsed by a handful of REALLY badly handled grrll power moments.

>THE FIRST FEMALE CANCER PATIENT SUPERHERO

For the most part it's Roxxon till Malekith the Accursed shows up and takes there roll as main bad guy.
>it's swept under the rug.
While I agree with you on that. Wish I could sweep that Jason Aaron's whole Jane Thor run under the rug t.b.h.
agreed.

Art was decent, but Jane was the least interesting thing in the book and it was ham handed

Attached: this was the state of thor.jpg (1312x428, 130K)

I wonder if Portman will shave her head bald and starve herself or if Disney will just go full CGI with her.

she's just going to wear a bald cap and Disney will do the rest.

Why do I feel like this is a common issue? They focus on these small little moments of hamfisted SJW girl power moments but people don't consider the other parts of the story. This is why I am asking if it's REALLY that bad. although I do hate SJW moments I'm willing to give it a shot if the story is actually good.

in b4 centrist meme.

In Homecoming there's a scene where Spider-Man is standing in a car roof and does a frontflip to the ground, which could've been accomplished by dressing a stuntman as Spider-Man and having him do a frontflip to the ground, but they CGId it instead. That should answer your query.

the last Jane Thor fight
reminded me of the fight of
All Might vs All For One
If they do it correctly
it can work
on the big screen

youtube.com/watch?v=vyHfmkl_x5Q

Attached: The Mighty Thor (2015-) 705-010.jpg (1988x3056, 2.3M)

The complaints about SJW bullshit was only a part of the story. The other was the shitty way Aaron glossed over the many unheroic thing she did before and during his run.

Attached: janes-faith.jpg (585x844, 605K)

Jesus Christ, have you been on Mars for the last 20 years?

Attached: 3a9_rotspc043hm6cg.jpg (445x520, 56K)

>despite this shit and other things she did in the run. Thor and Odin revive her ass in the end
this better shut Jane the fuck up from now on "Gods on being there for her".

Attached: By the power of Jason Aaron himself live darm it, live.jpg (1320x2048, 682K)

Did she ever talk shit again about magic cures after this?

The way Aaron wrote out her family was just terrible.

That's the joke. You're probably one of those losers who's with his circle of friends and someone makes a joke and the joke went riight above your head and you go out of your way to actually correct them with "facts and logic" and kill the entire fucking party vibe just to show how fucking autistic you are.

It's insultingly bad. Check it out yourself if you have a high pain threshold.

>Premise that Thor somehow forgot what it means to be worthy in the first place
>Jane somehow having more control/mastery/synergy with Mjolnir
>Above-mentioned bad writing and ham-fisted characterizations
>Above mentioned killing self with magical hammer/not wanting magical cure

I waited 5 years for Thor to lose an eye and an arm and grow a beard. Fuck

yeah she is fine with Magic cures now. Guess getting hit with magical lightning being you back to life really makes you rethink things.

Story wise, it was mostly average. Started off rocky (and a bit dull) because it was milking a non-mystery for the first couple of issues, which didn't do it any favors. Once it got going, it bounced between a 4 or 5 out of 10. A 3 at its lowest, a 6 at its highest. It was not truly terrible, but it wasn't great. Characterizations/dialogue were a bit weak, Odin notably. Aaron's version of the characters are very much his, and whether you like them that way or not is a big deciding factor.

Attached: Femthorupsidedown.jpg (1200x1542, 575K)

This page always gets a laugh out of me, it's perfect.

Attached: 101.gif (500x275, 1.04M)

The writing is laughably demeaning and chauvinistic. What Jane does doesn't make sense, often breaks the logic of established mythos and every other female character she talks to talk to her in "sisters before misters" kind of way. The epitome of idiocy was her fight against Odin that shouldn't have happened, but happened for dumbest of reasons, that couldn't have happened because Thor was never a match for Odin, but happened because NOW the enchantment of Mjolnir outgrows the enchanter.

When you see Jane interact with literally any other female character, try reading it with keeping in mind that pic related writes those dialogues and tell me any of them work on any level, that's how women talk.

Now, I am not saying you have to be a woman to write a believable interaction between women or just female characters in general, but the problem is that they made vagina kind of a point of what's going on in the story and it fails on every level, I honestly think it all ended up being just overall condescending.

Attached: 582c2cd8983d06004405af1b.jpg (343x530, 26K)

>The epitome of idiocy was her fight against Odin that shouldn't have happened, but happened for dumbest of reasons, that couldn't have happened because Thor was never a match for Odin, but happened because NOW the enchantment of Mjolnir outgrows the enchanter.

Welcome to Aaron's world of "quality writing", where shit just happens and fuck the continuity. His fans are stupid enough to forget any inconsistencies and downright retarded decisions in his writing and story pacing so he never grows up as a writer and just keeps doing it. He's as bad as Bendis, except Bendis is a little bit worse because of his godawful dialogue writing.

No character is as bad as America. Jane foster has some good parts, but the writing really is genuinely terrible. I mean she had a chance to cure her cancer and instead she chooses to not do it out of some weird principle and leaves her daughter without a mom and her husband without a wife.

It’s very good. Yea Forums was all over Aaron’s Thor before it happened. The first arc or so isn’t as great cause of the focus on Who is Thor but after that’s out of the way it gets real good

>for the first couple of issues
The mystery hung around for like a dozen fucking issues

What a fucking bitch

If it means more pit shots like this then I 100% support it

I honestly think it was a great concept, but as per freakin' usual, Marvel writers are complete hacks.

Because "IM A WOMEN HEAR ME ROAR!!! FUCK MEN" isn't empowering and gets tiring

It was pretty fucking bad. Though like Civil War I imagine the studio will just take the general concept and make something passable out of it

>Liking unsolicited opinions of Israel

Fucking based

Attached: 1478225401627.jpg (1024x768, 74K)

The problem is it started with all those damn grrl power moments and everyone dropped it because they didn't want that shit. And then it goes on the be meh in every way after that.

The lineart is sub-webcomic shit, but the colorist saves it.

Because pandering and writing good charters don't go hand in hand.

Shill

The writing is shit.
The dialogue is somehow even worse.

Why would you lie about such a boring run like that?

You now remember that a big part of the hook for this run was that female Thor's identity was supposed to be a mystery, even though literally everyone correctly called for Jane immediately. They even had an environmentalist SHIELD agent who was in love with Thor as a red herring.

Whor punched Odin in the face and laid him out.

If they remove the “lol cancer” motivation then what reason is there to happen?

That was from Angela, was it not?

Now that you mention it, I guess i got her and whor confused

I mean. Bitching at heroes because a criminal killed your family, sure, whatever, but it's not their responsibility to make sure people don't drive when they're tired. I don't think even Superman would take this shit. Hell if he did it would makes Luthor's "you're a crutch" tirades justified, normals still have a responsibility to take care of themselves.

:thinking:

He was just putting up with an emotional woman. Thor knows they can't help themselves

I doubt that was Aaron's intent though.

It gets worse for long time readers who know she divorced the husband and abandoned the son in order to chase Donald Blake cock.

It makes sense regardless of his intent.

I mean...it didn’t really make me feel #empowered
So I guess the target audience must be someone else?

Not really, no. Thor isn't your self-insert user.

There isn't anything I hate more in comics than "If you can't save literally everyone, you are a big fat phony and why even bother?", it's such a huge disservice not only to the sacrifice of the characters but to the sacrifice of real life people who save lives by trade. I get that you can only expect so much from grief-stricken people, but there's never a follow-up conversation where that person calms down and apologizes or even explains themselves to the hero.

Art is the only good part

>well, at least the MCU is still treating Thor well
>this Love & Thunder announcement

Damn it.

Attached: worthy.jpg (800x450, 159K)

>I get it the entire SJW agenda bullshit with Jane Foster becoming Thor is kinda lame but is the story really that bad?
I don't know of a single case where a story is predicated on an agenda like promoting diversity / feminism but the story itself is still good and well written.
It's a lot like how "Christian rock" music is always bad (not just music played by Christians, of which there are plenty of high quality examples, but music explicitly belonging to the genre where 100% of the content is blatantly about Jesus and Christianity). The approach is fundamentally flawed from the beginning.

Attached: trash.jpg (352x450, 31K)

FemThor is not meant to impress women.
At least...I hope not

Aaron is just a bad writer no matter how hard the industry says he isn't

>Is this run really that bad?

It's been going for about half a decade and you never bothered to give it a chance. What does that say about it, eh? Also, I'm just going to get this out of the way.

Attached: The Unworthy Thor (2016-) 005-005.jpg (3972x3056, 4M)

The retcon was many levels of bad. Years of never explaining why her ex-husband and child never visited gets hand waved away in an off screen car accident mixed with some anti-god/hero speech in one of the very last issues of the run. Even Terry Long got treated better.

Attached: terrylong4.jpg (318x224, 42K)

that is much worse than I remember, but I have forgotten most of it.

She just gets over her cancer in the last arc with little fanfare in such an awkward fashion that you wonder why it was even a narrative arc.

Attached: Captain Marvel by Jim Starlin - The Complete Collection-330.jpg (3975x3056, 2.73M)

It's like pottery

>is the story really that bad?
Not necessarily no, the main problem is Aaron inability to writes godly characters. Compare it to the way Moore wrote, say, Miracleman, and Aaron will looks like a r/atheism poster.

>Ewing's run
When did Ewing write Thor?

>is outright pandering to feminazis with the most phoned in GURL POWAH story of all time, filled with misandrist bullshit every other page parading itself as empowerment and diversity really that bad?
You tell me.

Oh great, the Disney shills already trying to rewrite history.

I liked when Gwenpool beat her by saying her name or whatever.

Attached: 84BF491A-4B99-4C2E-9967-971E7C9DBBD9.jpg (340x500, 36K)

The worst thing is that Titania fucking hates She-Hulk. Her and the Wrecking Crew gangbanged Jen during her first appearance. Titania is the last woman to care about female heroes.

Here's something to cheer you up.

Attached: Why_Thor_Is_Unworthy.jpg (1988x3056, 1.16M)

Nah, its pretty good. Literally the only places that hate Aaron's Thor run is Yea Forums and Comic-gaters. Thats not to say it doesn't have flaws. The art is beautiful, and its develops OG Thor as a character more than the last 3 decades combined.

Shit like
were from 2 issues, and they cut that shit out immedately after. If you're going discount an entire story arc over 3 pages of dumb shit, then you're never going to read another comic.

Illuminating Comics?

Just something I found in a previous Thot-Thor thread.

Think we'll get Donald Blake in this? Jane becomes Thor and Thor becomes Donald Blake

>What does that say about it, eh?
That he hasn't read Thor? Aaron's run is one of the best selling Thor runs, Thor is a top billed comic for the first time in most of Yea Forumss lifetime.
Wow, this is way better than what we got.

It's fairly understandable considering suddenly totally naturally and organically became Thor's super sekret sister.

Attached: thetenthrealm.jpg (1000x700, 200K)

Probably not, he's better at lettering.
Still, very good rewrite.

I know how redundant this sounds, but why did Jane start talking like Thor upon becoming Thor, exactly? Thor naturally talks like an alien thunder god, but Jane is a human from the tri-state area.

Does having the power of Thor make you talk like him too?

Quite Marvel shill we get you eat shit

Magic turns her into an aryan asgardian that can conjure lightning, and her speech pattern is what makes you upset?

Shut up Zack, your comic sucks and your outrage is pitifully predictable.

Attached: 4chan.jpg (1080x854, 104K)

I mean yeah, it's weird, it makes her sound like she's not herself anymore which isn't how borrowing Thor's power works. Which'd be fine if it was like a plot point.

It's unironically a 4/10. Not the worst it's ever been but it's bad.

>Shit like ... were from 2 issues, and they cut that shit out immedately after.
It was shit from start to finish.

Attached: Thor-Comic-Mjolnir-Destroyed-Jane-Foster.jpg (798x407, 85K)

The whole mystery of 'Who is the female Thor?' was fucking dumb

I have my small run that includes 1 and 8. Please tell you feminist friends to buy my eBay lot. Super empowering issues

>were from 2 issues, and they cut that shit out immedately after. If you're going discount an entire story arc over 3 pages of dumb shit, then you're never going to read another comic.
I kept read the book onward after that though? I hell I read Jason Aaron run up till War of the Realms and I'm going to see his run to the end (since I really like Thor and I'm not dropping I'm 100% because he was replaced for a bit). besides there are other comics out there that I've read. so don't worry about me "not reading another comic".

Attached: you just don't matter.png (398x509, 469K)

I sometimes wonder if Grant Morrison was lampooning this shit when in his Earth-1 Wonder Woman run he had amazons defeat nazis by shooting them with orgasm guns and kidnapped the woman nazi to be mindbroken with the orgasm gun technology

why can't the left ever make their own memes

How come the Left doesn't understand the difference between hamfisted SJW politics and fictionalized political overtone plotpoints in entertainment? When we mean no politics we mean no SJW politics.

Attached: 1529388623236s.jpg (249x249, 6K)

WHO IS ZACK? people keep mentioning him on threads. Is he a webcomics artist or something? because that is not a counter argument.

>The art is beautiful

Anything involving Muspelheim really popped off the page. I only dipped in for a few issues and I really dug the art.

this makes me so sad. how ppl like aaron get jobs being so incompetent

Attached: Warlock by Jim Starlin - The Complete Collection-204.jpg (2013x3056, 2.39M)

>Gwen Poole was supposed to be this huge comic book nerd in the real world
>Struggles to remember Jane's name and has to think about "Natalie Portman's character from the movie" to get it

Everyone but 1/2 of Yea Forums seemed to enjoy it enough.

People always agree this is awful, but it's a few pages out of the entire run.

I dropped it around the time that it was revealed/hinted that Mjolnir was powerful because it was inhabited by a sentient space storm and Odin couldn't control it because.... well, fuck Odin is the reason I guess.
Whatever came of that sentient space-storm nonesense?
Also, I'm now reminded that they chose to blackwash Sigurd instead of researching African mythologies and using gods from those pantheons. Fucking lazy hacks.

All the outrage aside, it's perfectly readable and even good at times, but that's mostly for the overarching story and supporting characters and their personal arcs. Jane Foster Thor herself remains probably the most consistently boring part of the entire run and after the opening eight issues where she's pretty insufferable, only ever rises to being tolerable for the rest of the story.

don't forget it was implied the storm was a "female entity" because aaron have to emasculate Odin every chance he gets.

Odin was seen as less of a man because he was a god of magic and magic was seen as feminine so...

My friend keeps bugging me to watch MHA, like highly anticipating the day that I start it. If it's anything like Aaron's Thor, I think I'll pass.

It's not just these pages. Are you gonna conveniently forget all the virtue signaling with Odin as the escape goat?

Well, they sorta already did that with Captain Marvel, but the social media crowd doesn't read comics, so...

I still prefer the Unworthysayswhat explanation.

>Magic was feminine
Is this real? Did they actually do this?

That's always been the case. Magic = feminine. Science = masculine.

Does that mean Doctor Strange is supreme pimp and Hank Pym is the Supreme Masculine Man everyone men should try to be?

Attached: Scientist Supreme.jpg (602x264, 72K)

Aaron's Thor run went bad way before Lady Thor. It started turning to ass with the first Malekith arc.

People were all over Ribic's art.

Yes.
It was fucking awful.

Because there's never any buildup to their "badass moment".
It's not really a payoff if there's nothing to pay off.

uh...that was loki trolling him

Could have swear Loki was trolling one of the other avengers at the moment but oh well guess I was wrong.

Ironically the Unworthy Thor was the most interesting thing that came out of this, seeing Thor fall, deal and eventually came out of depression was the only thing good out the entire arc. Jane on the other hand was absolutely boring and unlikable, Sif should had been the female Thor.

>Unworthy Thor
That mini was such a blueballing shit.
>Oh yeah maybe now something will happen
>Nope, still the same bullshit

Also the Collector felt out of character.

It's extremely sincere but doesn't do anything groundbreaking narrative-wise. The characters are its strength. Good animation and some incredibly hype fight scenes.

Kek

Nah, it really isn’t

It’s not bad at all frankly

I'm not saying it's the worst comic that has ever been published, but this run is easily the bottom 100 of all time.

It was like three years straight of fucking Malekith.
It's so fucking meandering and go-nowhere that it makes me retroactively forgive Fear Itself, and Fear Itself was the event that made me stop paying money for Marvel and become a pirate.

The last Thor writer who could write worth a shit was JMS.

Let's start by asking, what's your tolerance for retcon bullshit?

>seeing Thor fall, deal and eventually came out of depression was the only thing good out the entire arc
And then the main book still had Thor moping around like a depressed drunk.

yes, it was pure shit, and ruined a classic, awesome character almost forever

It was fucking shit

I would honestly love to see a dude take up the mantle of Wonder Woman for a while, could be either peak comedy or peak fetish.

the thing that makes me infuriated is that everyone says this is the best run and its just recency/popularity bias and completely discredits so many creative teams who had long runs and short, even one shots
everything needs this arbitrary "best" medal and to be the definitive but fuck I like Aaron's run but also like literately every Thor run I've tried reading besides Fractions, big and small
or people who say Snyder is the best Batman writer when like a thousand people have wrote him for almost a century, it makes me sad so much is just lost in time because no one prominent puts it on a Top 10 list or makes a live action adaptation of it
can't tell if it's more infuriating or disappointing
people are dunking on anyone who disagrees with the consensus and jeeze, its just opinions about media made for small children, no need to get so defensive

Rodi's superhomo Thor > Aaron's superficial shit

He wrote that Loki series that I remember Yea Forums liking.

>Is this run really that bad?

Yes.

.....According to Jason Aaron, who abuses characters to push his diseased ideas.

Because there's too much focus on the "female" part. If the writers could focus more on the character themselves getting a moment of personal empowerment, it'd feel more natural. Compare, say, Spider-man coming out form under the rubble, with Captain Marvel being told "no" and getting back up.

Yes, an evil giant corporate bull who ravages mother earth for industrial product with no redeeming features other than fuck religious belief of course.
It's as incisive and subtle as it sounds.

>He wrote that Loki series that I remember Yea Forums liking
Yeah, well except for that one panel that some people here took offense to.

Oh God the fedoracore