So I read this three issue Adam Strange mini-series from 1990, and I've got to say: wtf were they thinking?!

So I read this three issue Adam Strange mini-series from 1990, and I've got to say: wtf were they thinking?!

To recap, the comic features:
>Adam almost cheating on his nine months pregnant wife when he's back on Earth, and he only stopped because he accidentally heard on an answering machine that his dad just died.
>Rannians are almost all depicted as xenophobic assholes who hate that Adam, and only tolerate him due to his past heroics
>Rann appears to slowly going extinct, as no new babies have been born in 20 cycles
>Technology being bad is a frequent theme
>There's repeated allusions that Sardath basically married Alanna to Adam to make them breed
>Later it turns out Sardath exiled his own wife and lied about her dying, simply because he was being a prick
>Adam is predominantly written as an out of touch, privileged wasp fuck up, who doesn't understand anything about the local Rannian pedestrian sentiment, culture, or animals.
>Adam also fails to do anything to save the day when the city is being invaded. Instead Sardath pulls deus ex machina out of his ass at the last minute.
>The only truly heroic thing Adam does in the entire comic is saving Alanna at issue from a monster and that's later depicted as being a bad thing, because they basically disturbed the monster's nest so he killed an endangered animal (and later tries to attack another one) due to being a dumbass.
>Alanna dies in childbirth, Adam turns into a depressed loser who only gets up from wallowing in his own misery in the last page when the OC Earth girl (that he nearly slept with in the first issue and who also got sent to Rann) gives him a lecture.
>Story ends with the idea that the surviving Rannians will try democracy now by using the OC woman as their expert on how it works.

It would take eight years before iirc Mark Waid retcons most of this shit out in his JLA filler issues.

Attached: IMG_1252.jpg (400x594, 78K)

Artwise this is an interesting comic because you can see Andy, still relatively early into his illustrating career, intentionally channelling his dad's artwork, especially in the childhood flashback sequence in sepia, but perhaps much more surprisingly, you've got Adam in charge of the colouring.

I really liked the art in this book.

You can tell a Kubert was drawing because of the eyes. I fucking love Joe Kunert on Hawkman

Still a masterpiece compared to kings drivel

The book had very good art,
but...
It tried to be the Dark Knight Returns with the wrong character, and didn't understand the subtleties on Miller's work.

It's too bad there is so few Hawkman stories with Kubert on art. At least he did that one in Joe Kubert Presents before he died. But DC really should have just chained him to Hawkman. His work was amazing.

But King's comic isn't out yet

You forgot to mention Sardath becomes a cartoony lunatic at the end but he's still the smartest guy around so they just keep him around to keep the city running.

They were thinking “fuck you, it was good”

While a weird ides, it was pretty funny at least. Especially the eye jokes.

The bit where that chick gets turned to bones kinda fucked me up

But King is a great writer, so that must mean that this comic truly is legendary.

they were trying to emulate Longbow Hunter and Hawkworld success but shitted the bed

Paul Pope's adam strange was the last good version of the character

Attached: iu.jpg (480x337, 76K)

"shat"

They didn’t though

They did shit the bed though.

>>Rannians are almost all depicted as xenophobic assholes who hate that Adam, and only tolerate him due to his past heroics

>There's repeated allusions that Sardath basically married Alanna to Adam to make them breed

Ah, I can see they went for the Alan Moore way.

Attached: Adam Strange Swamp Thing #78.jpg (1197x1050, 1.1M)

You should have read the superior 90s Spacekino

Attached: Twilight_Vol_1_1.jpg (400x597, 45K)

Maybe in that it wasnt as popular as the other two, but it was really good.

That's one sexy Hawkgirl

Twilight was cringe

>but it was really good

Attached: laugh.jpg (638x480, 24K)

Not Hawkgirl

Good argument